P4 Controller not charging
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans10f8f8b7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7959 ft
United States

When I tap the power button on my RC the third white blinks indicating it is between 50% and 75% charged. WHen I turn it on it beeps and throws the critically low battery warning. When plugged into the charger it blinks twice like it should in sequence as it would normally during charge then the first whit light blinks rapidly as a warning for a minute then turns off and will not charge. Any suggestions?
2017-8-24
Use props
Drone Surveyor
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7959 ft
United States

2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Looks like a hardware problem, I would recommend you send it in for diagnosis and repair. Please contact the Support to start a case. http://www.dji.com/support
2017-8-24
Use props
DrWho
New

United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-24 19:11
Looks like a hardware problem, I would recommend you send it in for diagnosis and repair. Please contact the Support to start a case. http://www.dji.com/support

I did contact the support, I was told to buy an other controller ... The number of people have this exact issues is tremendous , I could count more that 50 people online complaining about this exact problem. I have been working on LiPo battery charging process for laptops for years, looking at the hardware of the controller, it looks like the charge controller is getting the right voltage, but then, the software does not seems to understand what to do with it. Most of people have this problem after updating a firmware.
It seems that the charge controller is locked after the firmware update. If I am correct, it is a flaw in the design, you should be able to unlock your charge controller by software, and you should for sure not charge people to fix one of your design flaw.
I am 100% sure that the battery is not dead , it does charge more than 6200mAh, and discharge about the same.
You controller is charging the battery properly too.
What is wrong is the sensing of the voltage level, and I traced the tracks on the PCB down to the controller , and the voltage there is right.
Do you guy tried to update the firmware of the charge controller and putted a software that did lock it up? Did you get a failure of the charge controller update, and try to charge up for the failing of the update?
I am about to be able to try to read the code inside to controller, I will know shortly.

Please help all the people in this situation, don't tell us it is the wearing of the battery causing this, it is 100% sure it is NOT.

Francois
2017-9-30
Use props
DrWho
New

United States

The voltage of the battery is fine:

The capacity of the battery is outstanding ...
2017-9-30
Use props
CycloneDrones
lvl.1
United States

I am at a loss as well.  Prior to the RC firmware update V1.9.2 back in early July 2017, it would run for hours without recharge.  I went through more aircraft batteries on one charge.  Since 1.9.2 update, RC charges only to 41% (two bars/LED lights); which is 41 minutes of flight time.  Recently, updated RC firmware to 1.9.3 with the hope (and prayer), DJI would have remedied the situation.  Now, the remote charges to 41% with flight time of only 19 minutes.  Is DJI serious about their customer service or RC issues?  Please don't insult me  or others to properly plug in the charging cord.  I watch the LED lights rapid fire left to right only to two indicator lights.  Another colleague indicated a person cannot downgrade from V1.9.2.  With my P3P involved in a crash, wondering if I can use that remote on P4?  Thoughts?  Is it possible to purchase a new P4 RC then integrate it with aircraft?  Thanks for your time, assistance, and reading another P.O. pilot.  Steve from USA.
2017-10-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

DrWho Posted at 2017-9-30 11:57
The voltage of the battery is fine:
[view_image]
The capacity of the battery is outstanding ...

The RC needs to be evaluated by the engineers to find out which parts need to be repaired. When did you purchase the drone and the RC?  The warranty period of the Phantom 4 RC is 12 months. You can send the RC in for diagnosis and repair even if the RC is out of warranty, but you'll need to pay for the repair. 1.png
2017-10-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

CycloneDrones Posted at 2017-10-3 18:51
I am at a loss as well.  Prior to the RC firmware update V1.9.2 back in early July 2017, it would run for hours without recharge.  I went through more aircraft batteries on one charge.  Since 1.9.2 update, RC charges only to 41% (two bars/LED lights); which is 41 minutes of flight time.  Recently, updated RC firmware to 1.9.3 with the hope (and prayer), DJI would have remedied the situation.  Now, the remote charges to 41% with flight time of only 19 minutes.  Is DJI serious about their customer service or RC issues?  Please don't insult me  or others to properly plug in the charging cord.  I watch the LED lights rapid fire left to right only to two indicator lights.  Another colleague indicated a person cannot downgrade from V1.9.2.  With my P3P involved in a crash, wondering if I can use that remote on P4?  Thoughts?  Is it possible to purchase a new P4 RC then integrate it with aircraft?  Thanks for your time, assistance, and reading another P.O. pilot.  Steve from USA.

The P3P RC is not compatible with P4. You can purchase a new P4 RC, then link it to the P4 aircraft.  
2017-10-8
Use props
michaelhalbe
New
Flight distance : 146217 ft
United States

Same issue for me with the charging since the firmware update.
2017-11-15
Use props
Duckster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 866867 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Had the same problem with my controller. Only charging to about 50%. Not exactly when this happend, before or after controller firmware upgrade. Anyway, against my better judgement contacted the support desk and was advised, that 1, the controller was out of warranty. Battery warranty on the controller was only 6 months...and 2. before they would do anything, I had to roll back the firmware to 1.51 and re-install to the latest firmware.  OK, firmware down grade worked OK, started the update and installed 1.7x and was proceeding to install 1.9x when it all came to a grinding halt.  I bricked the controller.  Not happy. Long story short.  I bought my P4 from JB HiFi here in Perth and it comes with a 2 year warranty, no questions asked.  They send the unit to the DJI Repair centre in Melbourne for warranty repair and I received it back and all is OK. Battery charges properly and  controller is upgraded to the latest firmware. Funny thing though, I am pretty sure that the controller case has not been opened and I suspect that the problem was fixed with a firmware patch.
2017-11-15
Use props
BamaDan78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 320023 ft
United States

I've been experiencing the same issues with my P4.  It won't charge past 3 lights and appears to have a shortened battery life (about 40 minutes or so). Fortunately, as all of my flights are work-related and don't last longer than 20 or so minutes, I can manage.  One thing I'm testing now is: I drained the controller battery to 9% (where it started beeping) and am now charging it back up. If I remember to, I'll post and let you all know what happened.

Given that this appears to be from a firmware update, I'm guessing DJI is still (hopefully) working on a firmware fix to it. I keep checking for updates.
2017-11-30
Use props
fans3af0bb16
lvl.1
Flight distance : 351 ft
United States

According to my hobby shop, which is an authorized DJI dealer, you're experiencing a known controller issue. It's the voltage regulator inside the controller. A bunch have been shipped out new with this issue. The only fix is to send it in to DJI. They are very aware of this issue...don't let them tell you different.
2017-12-11
Use props
serezhka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1067474 ft
  • >>>
Russia

the problem is 99% in charge controller. write to the PM.
2017-12-27
Use props
rchan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 624954 ft
United States

Drone Surveyor Posted at 2017-8-24 14:46
https://youtu.be/vIQV_WvjO9Y
https://youtu.be/4Tc6BzN_Iug

I purchased a Phantom 4 over two years ago and took a lot of amazing video and pics. I had it off the coast and flew it behind some trees. That was the last time I ever saw it. So I purchased another over a year and a half ago. It has been great and no issues at all. Then the firmware update came at the beginning of the month. I then noticed my remote not charging as it did and it would not last very long. No problem, I had another remote. I charged it and linked it to the drone. It needed the firmware update. So I did it. And the same issue! It would charge erratically and would not last. Both controllers now were not working. I got online and saw all the issues everyone else was having. I chatted with DJI, "send your remotes in for repair", was the answer. I tried to explain that it must be a firmware issue and not an issue with "two" remotes at the same time doing the exact same thing. I spoke with a rep from DJI, "send the remotes in for repair". I tried again to explain the circumstances but always the same answer.

So I tried to roll back the firmware. Several times on both remotes. Still no fix.

I saw a YouTube video of a person that took the controller apart, heated up the board, and fixed his issue. I had nothing to loose. Both remotes were out of warranty. So I took my old remote apart. Those black plastic clips that hold the ribbon connection are very, very delicate. Be careful flipping them up. Take the time to watch him do it so you really understand. Ask me why!! Follow along and do what he says. I only had a heat gun to use. I set it at 500°f and kept heating up the area around the charging post and where the battery connects. I did this and checked it several times. No fix! So I really put some heat to it. I could smell hot plastic. Let it cool and the first time I plugged in the battery and hit the button to start, all 4 lights were on. I carefully assembled the unit and it works perfectly. Even with the firmware upgrade.

So I did it to the second remote and fixed it also!

I am sure DJI understands what the problem is. They must have had thousands of remotes come back to them. Hopefully they will step up and get a fix for consumers that purchased their equipment. I am just guessing there is something in the firmware updates that changes how the batteries are monitored? Or just dumb luck both of mine bit the dirt within a half hour of each other?

Just FYI. COME ON DJI STEP UP AND FIX YOUR MANUFACTURING ISSUE!

Now that they are fixed!

2018-3-21
Use props
user141d96991a
lvl.1

United States

fans3af0bb16 Posted at 2017-12-11 12:48
According to my hobby shop, which is an authorized DJI dealer, you're experiencing a known controller issue. It's the voltage regulator inside the controller. A bunch have been shipped out new with this issue. The only fix is to send it in to DJI. They are very aware of this issue...don't let them tell you different.
I tried contacting them twice but they tell me to buy a battery for the drone and keep insisting it’s not the controller but the drone battery. I should have screenshoted the conversation to embarrass them.
2019-1-12
Use props
harry238
New

India

you might go for charging stand.
2019-1-18
Use props
R.MRT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6240 ft
Spain

Hey guys,

I see that many people are having issues with the remote connector/charging port.  I also had issues myself and contacted DJI. They asked me to send them the remote which I did on the first week of January. Guess what, Today I am still waiting for them to send it back.  When they received it, they asked me to pay €115.85 to fix a manufacturing flaw (should be covered under warranty) My options? None, because if I get someone else to fix it for a reasonable price, I lose my product warranty (for whatever it’s worth).
This is quite abusive, right? It only gets worse.

So, because I’m going traveling during the month of February and was planning to do some filming I paid them the money and they tell I should have it in less than 12 days. They fix it in a day and when telling UPS the delivery address they mess up and use my address and the zip code of a different country. To date, 22 February, I’ve had endless calls and emails with them an no one has been able to confirm if they have the remote back. You would think that a company their size with which you spend €2000+ on their products would take responsibility for their mistakes, right? So did I. I asked them many times to send me a remote before I went on holidays, send me a remote while I was on holidays or help me get one from any of their distributors in the country. No sign of intention whatsoever to help. To add insult to injury, nobody knows where my remote is.

I asked for cooperation’s to solve the issue along with the three questions below:
1. How your company compensates its clients for mistakes of this kind.
2. How often you received remotes for repairs related to the micro USB charger. From the online forums, it appears to be high.
3. Whether your clients have the option to get the remote repaired at a cheaper price elsewhere without losing the product's warranty.
I mentioned I was planning to share their response:
The things you want me to comment on our confidential information, not a business in this world will, via its after-sales service, publicize information of that nature, of which I am quite sure you are aware. You don’t set a good precedent for cooperation to work on.
Stefan van den Berk
SUPERVISOR SUPPORT NL
DJI Europe

I became quite concerned about DJI practices at that stage. I talked to a few lawyers about what can be done to save others such an unpleasant experience. It turns out that DJI may be violating our Consumer Legislation in Europe and, if that the case, anyone who has gone through similar problems may be entitled to seek compensation. I have shared this information on different forums and got people contacting me separately. Anyone who wants more information on this or wants access to my communications with DJI, sales, customer support and legal departments can reach out to me on Rafmarti87@gmail.com
2019-2-22
Use props
djiuser_aPBP8B1Rt56z
New

United States

I just sent my remote in for servicing due to the charging port circuit issue. The response I got back was a $250+ bill for out of warranty repair. This issue clearly a manufacturers error. Why am I being sent a bill?
2019-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules