Loss signal after 60m distance!
4654 29 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ironside
lvl.1
Italy

Hello,

yesterday I completed to upgrade all items (RC, Spark and batteries) and this morning I wanted to test the spark in flight, but at first take-off the bird reached about 70 meters away lost the signal and enter RTH mode. Spark was visible in open space with no wind.
I do not know what a problem may be, my set is:
Samsung Galaxy Tab E with DJI Go 4 (image of wifi mode attached)
Remote Controller (without OTG cable)
DJI Spark

I can test with OTG cable, but for 60m distance limit I think it isn't the problem.
Thanks in advance.
Raoul

Wifi Mode

Wifi Mode
2017-8-25
Use props
WilfredFireStee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182215 ft
Argentina

Common issue..... Android is a problem with DJI products i've learned. I feel like a troll the amount of boring comments i've made on the forum but still can't get much further than 30m without loss of signal. Try a different phone or yeah otg it if you can
2017-8-25
Use props
Spaners
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1542 ft
United Kingdom

I have a similar problem with my Nexus 7 2nd gen (supported device on DJI list)
I only bought coz it was on there list
Looks like if you want it to work as advertised then you have to by the latest Apple device
2017-8-25
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

Hello, I would disable bluetooth first. Most of the time it solves the problem and if not try OTG cable. The cable has worked flawless for me and is my back up if the spark starts to act as you described.
2017-8-25
Use props
Ironside
lvl.1
Italy

Thanks for all answers. I don't understand how Android can affect to trasmission between RC and Spark, but anyway tomorrow I will try with the OTG and then I'll let you know. Concerned bluetooth, it is always off, so that's not the problem.
Thank you.
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Did the issue occur both in 2.4G and 5.8G channel? How was the real-time quality of the channel during flight?
2017-8-25
Use props
Ironside
lvl.1
Italy

Hello DJI Mindy,
apparently the Samsung Galaxy Tab E works in 5.8G only. I tried switching in GO 4 from 5.8G to 2..4G, but the tablet no longer sees the RC. About real-time quality during fly, I don't know it because I was looking at the Spark. I just remember hearing "lost signal" notice and shortly entering the RTH. A few seconds after entered RTH I took control of the Spark through Pause and returned it manually to the ground without problem. I don't know if log report signal quality, I don't see it. There is a way to read it?
Thank you.
2017-8-26
Use props
Ironside
lvl.1
Italy

Hello all,
Yesterday I did another test, this time with the OTG cable. After the takeoff I tried to raise the Spark up to my head vertically until the signal started to be weak. At about 100 meters the signal began to weaken and after a while it was lost and the bird entered RTH and began to descend. I think Spark and the RC communicate with each other at 5.8G and this apparently seems to have a huge power limitation. I forgot, I am from Italy, so CE.
2017-9-1
Use props
joseca
lvl.2
Spain

I'm starting to get bored of this junk, I have the same problem in Spain 40 meters goes the signal
2017-9-1
Use props
normohamad
lvl.4
Iran

Hello to every one . I am pretty new to this forum and this is my first comment. we know that range of transmission in radio communication is related to many parameters but two of them are more importatnt : transmitter antenna power (watts, dbm) and difference in height between Tx and Rx antennas (especially for GHz range that direct view between antennas are important, remember mobile phone radio towers mainly positioned on tall buldings) . as for RC devices, assuming Rx is on flying this difference in height is accomplished in most situation (drone is in LOS with RC Tx) . Mavic pro as a long range consumer drone and Spark have approxiamtely the same Tx powers (FCC <= 26dbm, CE <=20-18 , ...) . so the main difference it seems that must be in signal processing and how frequency hopping and bandwidth allocation is done and not in hardware. so dear DJI please consider more robust signal processing algorithm for Spark and frequency hopping to maintain better connection between RC and AC in Spark . any improvement will be much appreciated by Spark users . considering these improvement also does not need to increase in total transmission power (EIRP) and of course is not against FCC and CE laws . below pictures show TX specification of Mavic and Spark . you can see transmission power is the same in main . again , Thanks DJI for this amazing piece of technology.

Spark Tx

Spark Tx

Mavic Tx

Mavic Tx
2017-9-1
Use props
mzak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12270 ft
Singapore

Ironside Posted at 2017-9-1 00:28
Hello all,
Yesterday I did another test, this time with the OTG cable. After the takeoff I tried to raise the Spark up to my head vertically until the signal started to be weak. At about 100 meters the signal began to weaken and after a while it was lost and the bird entered RTH and began to descend. I think Spark and the RC communicate with each other at 5.8G and this apparently seems to have a huge power limitation. I forgot, I am from Italy, so CE.

Just to check, how did you angle your RC antennas? Were you in an area with high interference (e.g. full of tall buildings)?

To be honest 100m up before losing signal is better than the results I've had on mine...The highest I have been able to go is 80+m before I start to get a warning for weak signal and occasional disconnects on 5.8G, but then again my city is tall buildings everywhere.
2017-9-1
Use props
Ironside
lvl.1
Italy

Hello mzak,
I did the test vertically, climbing from the take-off point (alias RTH) and without any horizontal shift. The RC antennas were parallel to the ground floor and probably the ground plane has helped to reflect the RF of the antennas. Obviously, climbing vertically there are no obstacles between RC and Spark, so the connection was facilitated. Also moving even horizontally makes it more complicated with low RF power (see my first post).
2017-9-1
Use props
Stan Cook
lvl.1
United States

My problem is with WIFI and OTG cable.  Same on either.
2017-9-1
Use props
Stan Cook
lvl.1
United States

Same thing happened to me.  I did all the up dates about a week ago.  Flew the Spark since then and all was fine.  Today, Sept 1, I got to fly and lose the signal no matter how far away.  It flies but loses signal over and over again.  Never happened before.  Also the camera gimbal is not smooth and video is ripped and with some pixels.  I landed it,  calibrated all sensors and still have the problem.  I have no idea what to do now.
2017-9-1
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557818 ft
United States

Ironside Posted at 2017-9-1 08:06
Hello mzak,
I did the test vertically, climbing from the take-off point (alias RTH) and without any horizontal shift. The RC antennas were parallel to the ground floor and probably the ground plane has helped to reflect the RF of the antennas. Obviously, climbing vertically there are no obstacles between RC and Spark, so the connection was facilitated. Also moving even horizontally makes it more complicated with low RF power (see my first post).

You might not want to fly it high directly above you. The spark is looking for a signal in kind of a upside down V. After a certain distance up, it can't pick up the RC directly below it. I've had better luck with out in front of me a little ways. Hope that helps.
2017-9-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

This problem started after the latest FW on my ios, no change has been done to the way I was flying before the upgrade.
2017-9-1
Use props
JasonMY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182562 ft
Malaysia

I am also experiencing intermittent signal loss recently(post v1.6) when the Spark is 30-50 metres away. Some of them prompted RTH. Otherwise, i just lose video feed of the spark's camera with RC still connected strong. Tried both wifi and OTG with same results.

Flew the Spark at an open park with no obstacles in between.

Never had such problem before this even at 500metres away.

I was wondering if DJI app has some coding which clashes with Samsung/android phones. Tried on Samsung S6 to S8 with the same result.  

Factory reset done, reinstalled DJI app, calibrated RC and IMU.

I miss v1.3/1.4 days when i got to fly the Spark flawlessly with OTG.

2017-9-1
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

With my experience on a LG G4 as a flight device, I'd say that loosin the video is a device problem.
In my LG case I assume it has something to do with  LGs try to cover the hardware issue (bootloop) without Hardware changes but new and slowing the CPUdown -firmware.
Or simple spoken : the performance is not good enough
Looks like, DJI needs good performing (minimum) quad CPUs in the androids, to encode the videostream
And a device  already at the limit, other functions get sucked down, too.

Till now it looks like, that the OP5 I had to switch to is doing a good job, in providing controll.
To Topic Starters Tab E probs I would assume a performance problem with the tab, as long the RC is giving controll
Samsung is having lots of unneeded bloats in the firmware.
Deactivating all unneeded apps may help a bit.

Only I would minimum check with a stronger device, first.
2017-9-1
Use props
Spookymike
lvl.4
Germany

I have similar issues and posted a video of it in that topic:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-110712-1-1.html

Some suggest to use a different Smartdevice - That is no option. Bying a new smartphone just to get extra range with my "RC Toy" :-(

Maybe i will sell the Spark on e-bay and get the new Mavic Platinum or get the new Yuneec Typhoon H 520
2017-9-2
Use props
JasonMY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182562 ft
Malaysia

Found the fault of the signal loss for my drone on OTG. Replaced the cable that came with the Spark to an original Samsung one and no signal loss even at 600metres away on 5.8g.
2017-9-2
Use props
Ironside
lvl.1
Italy

JasonMY Posted at 2017-9-2 02:48
Found the fault of the signal loss for my drone on OTG. Replaced the cable that came with the Spark to an original Samsung one and no signal loss even at 600metres away on 5.8g.

What country are you in?
2017-9-2
Use props
fans00d5a95a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4646713 ft
Belgium

Have the spark for two days. Signal loss at 30 meters... flew directly above me. That's really not far...
2017-9-2
Use props
fans117265e0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 880295 ft
Germany

This is getting more and more ridiculous. Today i checked again after installing the Argtek Range Extender Kit. Tried panel and omnidirectional antennas, tried ipad 2017 and Nexus 7. Tried OTG and Wifi. Tried 2,4 and 5.8 Ghz. Results differed only marginally.  Maximum Range was about 250 m at 50 m altitude. I live in Germany and the tests were all made in an open field, far away from Wifi, Powerlines etc. and DJI is advertizing a range of about 500m in FCC mode. This is just a lie. I didnt pay 800 Euro for something that cant fly further than one of these 40-Dollar Wlan-Selfie-Drones from Banggood.

DJI, you NEED to fix this.

Greetings
Serdar
2017-9-2
Use props
fans117265e0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 880295 ft
Germany

Note: not FCC mode, CE mode
2017-9-2
Use props
fans00d5a95a
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4646713 ft
Belgium

This afternoon 5,8 ghz in open field 170 meters...
2017-9-2
Use props
Ironside
lvl.1
Italy

fans00d5a95a Posted at 2017-9-2 10:59
This afternoon 5,8 ghz in open field 170 meters...

Whow! A record in CE mode!

If I buy a Ferrari in Europe I don't have an installed limiter that forces me not to exceed 130 km/h in accordance with CE law. If I go above 130km/h , the responsibility is mine.
Also if I fly in a NFZ zone,  I get notifications from Go 4 saying extra caution flying in zone class D and  I'm asked to take responsibility for what I do.
Why is not the same thing about RF power setting? DJI, could be this a solution to fix the problem?
2017-9-3
Use props
SparkDanNZ
New
New Zealand

Hi
I am having the same issues, sometimes I get signal loss warnings literally 2-3 metres away from my Spark!
I have a Samsung 7 Edge and a RC. No problems connecting to the RC with my phone but I am lucky to get 40 metres before I start losing signal.
I don't want to fly 2kms away but surely 200 metres is not too much to ask?

I have tested in different areas well away from any interference, I have tried an OTG cable and it makes absolutely no difference. I have all the latest firmware. I have re calibrated IMU and compass.

Short of telling me to buy an iPhone does anyone have anything else I can try?

I have tried changing frequency and this does nothing, I have turned off bluetooth...

Please any help would be really appreciated!
2017-9-16
Use props
Anuvis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1976736 ft
Greece

My friend all point to that direction....Buy an iPhone 6 or iPad mini 4....I use to fly an HTC 10 with many problems like image weak transition disconnects etc....I test an iPhone 5s magical most problems gone in general but I get some time image weak etc....I don't think that's to much device related thing...DJI must fix the issues in the controller, ac firmware....Personaly I think that this will take as long time from FBI to be fixed....Or fixed at all in CE standard of course....
2017-9-17
Use props
djiuser_XyIoaDNhDYFL
New
Flight distance : 8166 ft
India

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-8-25 06:11
Common issue..... Android is a problem with DJI products i've learned. I feel like a troll the amount of boring comments i've made on the forum but still can't get much further than 30m without loss of signal. Try a different phone or yeah otg it if you can

Go higher up like roof of a highrise building. There interference will be minimum. You will be able to obtain 3 km easily.
1-28 14:16
Use props
djiuser_XyIoaDNhDYFL
New
Flight distance : 8166 ft
India

WilfredFireStee Posted at 2017-8-25 06:11

Go higher up like roof of a highrise building. There interference will be minimum. You will be able to obtain 3 km easily.
1-28 14:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules