14825 192 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LRAB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197559 ft
South Africa

heliman Posted at 2017-9-17 09:57
I used OTG with iphone for a while. Got lots of lost signal and RTH. (CE region).
OTG or not did not make noticeable difference..
Today I selected 2.4GHz and a free channel, turned bluetooth off on phone and watch. No OTG. 5 flights.

try combining otg and 2.4?? and you should get way better results
2017-9-17
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Well looks like with the new dji gobap 4.1.10 otg resets to 100 m distance 50 meter heigh. Therefore not using this anymore
2017-9-18
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

fans61699a75 Posted at 2017-9-18 07:28
Well looks like with the new dji gobap 4.1.10 otg resets to 100 m distance 50 meter heigh. Therefore not using this anymore

havent had a chance to use...are you saying theyve limited otg mode?
2017-9-18
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

LRAB Posted at 2017-9-18 22:16
havent had a chance to use...are you saying theyve limited otg mode?

They have indeed limited the distances, when flying with the cable attached.
2017-9-18
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Its wifi time again.
And default setting ghz still not working. I think there will be a fw update today or 2mrw. This dji go app update, i think the new features only work in combination with a new fw update. And then otg might(?) work again. At moment the usage of otg has no effect on flying and image
2017-9-19
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

jksphoto Posted at 2017-9-18 23:59
They have indeed limited the distances, when flying with the cable attached.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2017-9-19
Use props
jksphoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

LRAB Posted at 2017-9-19 00:28

My thoughts exactly
2017-9-19
Use props
scorpionro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 211355 ft
United States

For me I can usually get to 400m+ on 2.4GHz (CE) before the video gets too choppy / latency gets horrible / RC disconnects, so OTG is not a must have (I am using an iPhone however, which tend to behave better on WiFi apparently). Turning on airplane mode on my phone & disabling BT on my watch & correct antenna orientation made quite a difference in my case, as I used to get disconnects at 250m+, so I essentially got 150m of additional range. That's not to say that it's ALWAYS working perfectly, as in some cases I start getting choppy video & lag at only 100m, but that usually means that the channel that I'm using has bad signal (not sure why this is happening, but at times none of the channels gets a good signal-to-noise ratio, so I just chose the least noisy one).
2017-9-19
Use props
NukeSpark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11033 ft
Gibraltar

It might not be supported by DJI but it removes a lot of latency from the video feed so i'll keep using it
2017-9-19
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

NukeSpark Posted at 2017-9-19 06:50
It might not be supported by DJI but it removes a lot of latency from the video feed so i'll keep using it

i think theyve limited what you can do while using it though now with the latest update
2017-9-19
Use props
Arnor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2660509 ft
Belgium

Since last IOS app update, i switched back to no-OTG and I must say it works very very well. No disconnection, long range...great work DJI!
2017-9-21
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

Arnor Posted at 2017-9-21 09:55
Since last IOS app update, i switched back to no-OTG and I must say it works very very well. No disconnection, long range...great work DJI!

yeah i must agree things seem a lot better, the only time i get disconnects is when turning the craft 180
2017-9-21
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6010 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-8-25 07:10
I use the OTG cable when I fly with the Go 4 app and WiFi for Litchi because Litchi doesn't work with OTG.

Can you tell me if the Mavic RC cable work for the Spark?   I see you have them both and I was looking to avoid buy an OTG and using a long phone cable.  The Mavic RC Cable has right angle connector which is more convenient.
2017-9-23
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

OTG works great for me, I'm using a Samsung Tablet using Android 6.0.1.  Since I started using this 3 days ago I have had no drop outs with the video feed or application.  I flew out 5,599 feet today at an altitude of 221 feet with no issues at all.  Without OTG I was having to click on the "Go Fly" button about every minute and video feed was just as flakey.  Totally stopped using OTG.
2017-9-23
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not anymore, since DJI put an altitude and distance limitations when using OTG.
2017-9-24
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Hi there, Im new here in this forum and new in the DJI community, I do not own a drone yet buit i'm considering to buy a SPARk, because i don't have any experience on flying or pilotting drones and as far as i have seen in Youtube and read in several articles that the SPARK is the best and most spectacular drone for begginers.
Now, i have read somewhere that you can fly the SPARK with the OTG cable and when yopu do the quality of the image you see on your mobile phone is much better and does not crak down, so i don't know if it is true yet but i will buy me an OTG cable to fly the drone with.
2017-9-24
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

Convert Posted at 2017-8-25 05:29
I have an OTG cable and have played with it but am not feeling the love. In the EU we are limited to 500m distance and 120m altitude by regulation. I mostly use my spark much closer. Today I flew it to 500m and 120m from me using wifi and default 5.8ghz between spark and controller and it was fine. Video had a little but of lag but was unbroken and clear and the lag liveable with. I'll keep the cable with me in the case but not sure when I'll bother using it.

Do you know if it possible to go beyond 500m in Europe with the RC? I'm going to buy the SPARK with OTG cable cause i have read i'ts much better for controling the drone in bigger distances and for the image on your phone not to crak down.
2017-9-24
Use props
F.A.H.
lvl.2
Brazil

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-9-24 10:53
Do you know if it possible to go beyond 500m in Europe with the RC? I'm going to buy the SPARK with OTG cable cause i have read i'ts much better for controling the drone in bigger distances and for the image on your phone not to crak down.

OTG is limited to 50m high and 100m distance
2017-9-24
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

F.A.H. Posted at 2017-9-24 11:09

Really!?! Then what is OTG good for?
2017-9-24
Use props
F.A.H.
lvl.2
Brazil

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-9-24 11:29

Dji Goggles
2017-9-24
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-9-24 11:29

Nothing anymore, dump the cable and start flying wifi.
2017-9-24
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

I don't know where the idea that OTG limits your distance, I flew two days ago on the new .11 app version, and was able to fly as far away as the signal would allow.  i did experience the odd "stuck in beginner mode" glitch before but haven't since a newer app came out.  I think the reason DJI is having to release new apps so often now is because they got rid of the ability to push small patches to the app without an update.  now when they need to make a change they have to push an app update.  
2017-9-24
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

F.A.H. Posted at 2017-9-24 11:09

Is this accurate? Can't say I've used the cable in a while to notice.
2017-9-25
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-9-24 10:53

It's the regulations that limit you to that distance.

I've got to say though with the spark I would question the sanity of anyone who really wanted to use it beyond that distance irrespective of regulation in the part of the world you live in- just too small and slow for any real  benefit of going that far out and very questionable safety as not VLOS for any human that far away with it being so small. If you want to use a drone further than 500m from you, you are probably buying the wrong model if looking at the spark.
2017-9-25
Use props
F.A.H.
lvl.2
Brazil

Convert Posted at 2017-9-25 04:33
Is this accurate? Can't say I've used the cable in a while to notice.

Seems that this limitation only affects iOS. One using Android can go further. In my case I’m using an iPhone 7+, every time I plug the cable the distance and altitude automatically changes
2017-9-25
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

VinceC Posted at 2017-9-23 12:44
Can you tell me if the Mavic RC cable work for the Spark?   I see you have them both and I was looking to avoid buy an OTG and using a long phone cable.  The Mavic RC Cable has right angle connector which is more convenient.

I haven't tried it. I'm  going to fly this afternoon, I'll swap cable between the two and see if it works.
2017-9-25
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

Convert Posted at 2017-9-25 04:35
It the regulations that limit you to that distance.

I've got to say though with the spark I would question the sanity of anyone who really wanted to use it beyond that distance irrespective of regulation in the pat of the world you live in- just too small and slow for any real  benefit of going that far out and very questionable safety as not VLOS for any human that far away with it being that small. If you want to use a drone further than 500m from you, you are probably buying the wrong model.

Yea i know its the law, but i was curios after seen lots of videos on YouTube, i know i wont fly too far away yet, i´m completely new to this hobby and need to build up my confidence in piloting my craft, which i haven`t received yet, still on its way ;-) and i CANT WAIT to get it hehehe.
2017-9-25
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-24 14:12
Nothing anymore, dump the cable and start flying wifi.

aawww....i have not had the opportunity to try it then, my drone is still on its way to me....with the OTG cable...
2017-9-25
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Spain

Yeah i know...but further than that it was supposed to be a better way to communicate the phone with the RC...but now...i don´t know if i will spend the money to buy the goggles...
2017-9-25
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does the DJI GO-4 app do automatic updates from google play store like other applications?  I see people talking about version .10 and .11 here.  I downloaded 4.1.9 on 9 September and in the store there are no updates available.  I'm on Android and flying with OTG and have no changes in limits when in use.  It is still set to the default which was 5000 meters.
2017-9-25
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

VinceC Posted at 2017-9-23 12:44

As promised, tried it this afternoon, worked fine for me.
2017-9-25
Use props
Rockstar2757
lvl.2
Flight distance : 370420 ft
Canada

Just noticed this restriction with OTG this afternoon. Kept switching it and it kept switching back. So decided to remove OTG and go wifi. Went ok, but i find the video is super laggy. Finished one battery, landed and switched battery for second flight. I decided to try OTG again, it switched back again to limited distance but decide to fly anyways. Well the video was much better and tried to go to the limit...went right past the limit and kept going! I reached an altitude of about 70 m and a distance of 300 m! I would have gone further but i lost LOS and got nervous so I came right back. Did this 2 more times no problem. So I assume the limit is not really active? Thoughts?
2017-9-25
Use props
William Yuandi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 474357 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

KIM JONG UN RULES... LOL
2017-9-25
Use props
JxckSweeney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 634692 ft
United States

LRAB Posted at 2017-9-19 00:28

NOW I WASTED 10$ on a short otg cable thanks DJI OTG was working great!
2017-9-28
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

JxckSweeney Posted at 2017-9-28 04:45

i think it still works
2017-9-28
Use props
fans8a13941d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33862 ft
Spain

With the last  DJI GO4 release I had the distance and height limitation, anyway in the app there is a switch and using it you can disable the max distance parameter, then you can fly more than 100m, as long as your signal keeps your Spark communicating with the RC. The problem is that there is no switch to disable the max height, that means I can fly away 500m but never over 50m with OTG. Anybody knows if that could be changed in the following releases? Why they have limited the height to 50m when the real higher limit is 122m in EU.
2017-9-28
Use props
Rockstar2757
lvl.2
Flight distance : 370420 ft
Canada

So I’ve flown twice with the new OTG restriction and it seems to be only a suggestion. I easily went about 250m in distance and not so much as a peep. The video lag wasn’t better, but still feel safer being hardwired...but maybe I’m wrong...
2017-9-28
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

JxckSweeney Posted at 2017-9-28 04:45

Except DJI has said time and time again NOT to use OTG on the Spark as it was never officially supported for flight.

2017-9-28
Use props
WayneMHK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 694728 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-25 06:36
It is the only way i'll fly the sparks.

Hmmm.  Never had an issue.
2017-9-28
Use props
ChrisMChristian
New
United States

AndyMK Posted at 2017-8-25 07:47
Hey everyone, I'm very new to this so I have a question. (I'm running the latest FW)
I plug my OTG cable into the RC, and then into my Iphone 6S.
I switch on my RC.

You wrote "So whats the point of the OTG cable, and how do I know if its actually doing anything?"

Just some ideas, I use the OTG primarily to help conserve battery life of my smartphone (I use my Spark mostly for backpacking trips).  Not running WIFI on my smartphone on backpacking trips, gives me a good 20-25% more battery back at the end of the day.  And when you are packing in batteries to recharge devices, any time you can get back hours of usage of a device (without carrying more batteries), the better.

Now, to your problem.  I experienced something very similar when I first switched from using WIFI to the OTG cable.  For me, what works, is to turn off WIFI on your phone.  Power up your Spark and the remote, and let them get in sync.  Next, start the DJI GO 4 app on your phone, THEN plug in the OTG cable (on the Smart Remote side, USB type A).  You will get the typical (Where Apple notoriously tries to punish people for not using products they provide.  Just always hit "Dismiss" on this message).

Don't ask me why that works (that specific order), but it does.  I have also noticed that if you already have all 3 up and going and you want to switch from WIFI to OTG, you can disable WIFI on your phone, and then simply unplug and plug back in the OTG cable back in (the side of the OTG cable that is USB type A that plugs into the remote itself).  You should here your iOS respond to the new device and popup the typical Apple message, just click "Dismiss".

Hope that helps.
2017-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules