POLL: Do you use OTG??
14802 192 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChrisMChristian
New
United States

InkedUpDad.com Posted at 2017-9-28 07:56
Except DJI has said time and time again NOT to use OTG on the Spark as it was never officially supported for flight.

thanks, I did not know that.  Do you by any chance have a link to a document that says that?  
2017-9-28
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6010 ft
United States

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-9-24 10:40
Hi there, Im new here in this forum and new in the DJI community, I do not own a drone yet buit i'm considering to buy a SPARk, because i don't have any experience on flying or pilotting drones and as far as i have seen in Youtube and read in several articles that the SPARK is the best and most spectacular drone for begginers.
Now, i have read somewhere that you can fly the SPARK with the OTG cable and when yopu do the quality of the image you see on your mobile phone is much better and does not crak down, so i don't know if it is true yet but i will buy me an OTG cable to fly the drone with.

I just received my Spark two days ago and only flew it for about 20-30 minutes.  I also flew the Flight Academy which is a Flight Simulator for your Drone.   I am an amateur with drones.   My other Drone is a beginner Drone, the SYMA X5C.   I can tell you with GPS lock on the Spark it is easy to fly.   With Attitude hold it is still easy but not as easy as the GPS lock.   

I bought the RED SPARK Fly More Combo with two additional batteries and an OTG cable  I also bought a Battery Safe Bag for charging and transport and then I bought from an another company a travel case that holds all of items then the Fly More combo and more in one case.  From the other company I bought a Repair Screwdriver set for simple repairs, Ground Clearance landing legs, 2 extra sets of props, and a right angle controller connection cable, one lightning and the other android.

As an amateur and only flying one day, I definitely recommend the DJI SPARK.  
2017-9-28
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

VinceC Posted at 2017-9-28 16:42
I just received my Spark two days ago and only flew it for about 20-30 minutes.  I also flew the Flight Academy which is a Flight Simulator for your Drone.   I am an amateur with drones.   My other Drone is a beginner Drone, the SYMA X5C.   I can tell you with GPS lock on the Spark it is easy to fly.   With Attitude hold it is still easy but not as easy as the GPS lock.   

I bought the RED SPARK Fly More Combo with two additional batteries and an OTG cable  I also bought a Battery Safe Bag for charging and transport and then I bought from an another company a travel case that holds all of items then the Fly More combo and more in one case.  From the other company I bought a Repair Screwdriver set for simple repairs, Ground Clearance landing legs, 2 extra sets of props, and a right angle controller connection cable, one lightning and the other android.

Hi, I have just received my SPARK but can't get started as i can't upgrade my RC, it is a bit frustrating cause the DJI GO4 app is asking me to enter a chinese fix phone number for the process of activation and upgrade to be done...so i still don't know how it feels to have my bird in the air.
I bought my fly more combo in white, 2 more extra batteries, landing pad, 2 more sets of proppelers, joystick control protector, OTG cable and finger protectors...
I hope i can get some help here to get in the air ASAP.
2017-9-28
Use props
Alitaptap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149334 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess we're back to wifi....
2017-9-29
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16502930 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alitaptap Posted at 2017-9-29 10:15
I guess we're back to wifi....

Did something happen?  Why back to wifi?
2017-9-29
Use props
Alitaptap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149334 ft
  • >>>
United States

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-9-29 10:39
Did something happen?  Why back to wifi?

Using the OTG are limited to higher altitude and long distance.
2017-9-29
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Alitaptap Posted at 2017-9-29 12:44
Using the OTG are limited to higher altitude and long distance.

I am in USA so FCC using an Android Tablet and RC with OTG, haven't seen any limits, up to 400 Feet and out 8000 feet.  Are you in a different area?  Using an iPhone?
2017-9-29
Use props
Scobo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 152795 ft
United Kingdom

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-9-29 13:54
I am in USA so FCC using an Android Tablet and RC with OTG, haven't seen any limits, up to 400 Feet and out 8000 feet.  Are you in a different area?  Using an iPhone?

The limitation only applies to ios, for now.
2017-9-29
Use props
JCStorbeck
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Scobo Posted at 2017-9-29 15:29

So you are saying to avoid upgrading the Go4 App?
2017-9-29
Use props
fans4d1457b2
New
Canada

Qhen I use the OTG cable i get new options in the menu.  I get PAF options in the mc settings...Is anyone else getting that?  I saw somewhere that the PAF settings are for the phantom models...
2017-9-29
Use props
fans4d1457b2
New
Canada

When I use the OTG cable i get new options in the menu.  I get PAF options in the MC settings...Is anyone else getting that? I seen somewhere that the PAF settings are for the Phantom models sooo...what's up with that?
2017-9-29
Use props
lannes
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-9-28 20:52
Hi, I have just received my SPARK but can't get started as i can't upgrade my RC, it is a bit frustrating cause the DJI GO4 app is asking me to enter a chinese fix phone number for the process of activation and upgrade to be done...so i still don't know how it feels to have my bird in the air.
I bought my fly more combo in white, 2 more extra batteries, landing pad, 2 more sets of proppelers, joystick control protector, OTG cable and finger protectors...

Is your AC a grey market import ?
2017-9-29
Use props
Scobo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

JCStorbeck Posted at 2017-9-29 15:44
So you are saying to avoid upgrading the Go4 App?

With ios, I'd say yes, avoid updating if possible.
Although, I think the last update was compulsory or you won't be able fly ??
2017-9-29
Use props
Scobo
lvl.2
United Kingdom

If the wifi settings apply to the link between the RC and the mobile device, why are some folk recommending switching to 2.4ghz  when using OTG ?
What difference does that make to the Sparks range if you're using OTG ?
2017-9-29
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Spain

lannes Posted at 2017-9-29 21:20
Is your AC a grey market import ?

No Iannes, I bought it from the official DJI web store, the whole pack, I have been reading about the other users problems with stolen SPARKS and that's a pity but not my case. Thanks for your concern mate.
2017-9-29
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
United States

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2017-9-28 20:52

Viking, When you initialized your SPARK, did you accidentally clicked on Chinese instead of clicking on ENGLISH?  If so, you may need to contact DJI Support DJI Support, scroll down to the after-sales support and it has phone, email, and online support links.   They helped me with an update that was not working for me originally.   I suggest you give it a try.   Let me know how that go's.
2017-10-2
Use props
Viking-Pilot
lvl.4
Spain

VinceC Posted at 2017-10-2 11:47
Viking, When you initialized your SPARK, did you accidentally clicked on Chinese instead of clicking on ENGLISH?  If so, you may need to contact DJI Support DJI Support, scroll down to the after-sales support and it has phone, email, and online support links.   They helped me with an update that was not working for me originally.   I suggest you give it a try.   Let me know how that go's.

Thanks a lot VinceC, yesterday i downgraded the firmware of my Spark to the original settings and my phone to an earlier version of DJI GO4 app then I upgraded my Spark and my app, even tho i have not had time to fly my drone, I do have tested the App and I most say that i have not had any isue so far. But i need to test it while im flying, so...dont worry il let you know ;-)
2017-10-3
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-10-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2017-10-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2017-10-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2017-10-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2017-10-4
Use props
VinceC
lvl.1
United States

Why wont DJI support the use of OTG cable for the SPARK when it is used for the MAVIC?  OH, and BTW, the SPARK can use the OTG cable to connect to the GOGGLES.  Is there something special in the OTG Cable that its only use is with the GOGGLES?
2017-10-4
Use props
Zepis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 344984 ft
Portugal

sorry, but OTG is?...
2017-10-4
Use props
stalters
lvl.2
United States

I have the cable, but have not used it yet. So far, WiFi has worked well for me.
2017-10-4
Use props
Zepis
lvl.1
Flight distance : 344984 ft
Portugal

My dear Facebook friend Bro Martins explained me today what the f0"k OTG is... I am waiting for me remote (it should be here tomorrow) and then I will buy the OTG thing. Anyone can advise where to buy it? Low price and top quality of course. My Baby deserves only the best
2017-10-5
Use props
Sinus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 201270 ft
Germany

Scobo Posted at 2017-9-29 15:29

I don,t have a limitation using IPAD mini2 and Go4 4.1.12 with OTG
2017-10-6
Use props
fans0c10c3ea
lvl.3
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2017-10-4 06:30
OTG is not officially supported by Dji and voids warranty!

With The Spark and CrystalSky the OTG is now recommended by DJI
2017-10-7
Use props
fans0c10c3ea
lvl.3
United States

just found this on DJI page
"A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.
A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon."
It is on this page DJI on the note on right.
2017-10-7
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

El Diablo Posted at 2017-10-4 06:30
OTG is not officially supported by Dji and voids warranty!

i hear you. That's why I don't use it. I have a regular iPhone 6 that seems to work great. And I have a NIB ipad mini 4 that I may use at a later time. No OTG for me unless I hear from DJI that it does Not void the warranty..... I will never use it! Saves me money!
2017-10-8
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans0c10c3ea Posted at 2017-10-7 05:01
just found this on DJI page
"A USB OTG cable is required when connecting to a Spark remote controller.
A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon."

Well spotted - probably why FW .700 is taking so long to come through...
2017-10-8
Use props
Critical-Dan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76437 ft
  • >>>
Austria

Is the otg supportet now? No joke?
2017-10-8
Use props
fans0c10c3ea
lvl.3
United States

Critical-Dan Posted at 2017-10-8 10:48
Is the otg supportet now? No joke?

look for yourself
http://store.dji.com/product/cry ... fd92b1002&pm=custom
Look on right in blue
2017-10-8
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197559 ft
South Africa

ACW Posted at 2017-10-8 10:32
Well spotted - probably why FW .700 is taking so long to come through...

i hope its not just for goggles and crystalsky, good spot though
2017-10-8
Use props
doZer the ogre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 78563 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-25 08:24
People on the forums have found OTG setup to be "nuanced".  Order of operations matters (though there are a few permutations of the order that work).

The order I like to use:

precisely my experience. will try wifi again but will not go anywhere without my OTG setup.
2017-10-16
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used to, but as of the last FW upgrade everything has been great without it.
2017-10-18
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

I bought an org cable but never used it yet... iPhone user
2017-10-29
Use props
Todd in Chicago
lvl.4
Flight distance : 513757 ft
United States

When I first got my Spark, I did all the research and bought an OTG cable before my first flight.

I ended up having a lot of problems and had to send my little Sparky back.

When I re-purchased another Spark, this time I thought I would change a bunch of things up.  One of the things I tried was to not use the OTG cable.

And so far, I don't seem to have any need for it.  No more errors.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago
2017-10-30
Use props
imthemobileguru
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11114019 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew without a hardline connection today for the first time. It sucked.
9D5BC03F-CD4E-4232-982B-C711A4D62A71.jpeg
2017-11-1
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

I purchased the OTG cable but haven't use it yet just wifi - Rc with iPhone
2017-11-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now