Wind speed/direction indicator???
7572 19 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mgrosvold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 841929 ft
United States

Winds aloft are seldom the same as winds at the surface.   Many a drone pilot has underestimated winds aloft and have flown too far with the wind and struggled getting their bird back home.  I think  that winds aloft  info would be helpful in making informed decisions about how  far and in which direction to fly.  

I'm neither a software nor a hardware enginer but it seems logical to me that the Mavic firmware already has this information.  In order to hold a hover it must calculate how to counter the forces acting upon it.  Therefore, it must know the wind's relative direction and its force.  I should think it'd be a simple matter to add this info to the other parameters sent to  the Go4 app for display.

What do you think??  Wouldn't it be nice to launch your Mavic, fly up to your cruise altitude, hover and get an accurate reading on the wind??

DJI...what say you?

2017-8-25
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

Have a look for UAV Forecast its a free app I use that to
check before I fly hope this helps you
2017-8-25
Use props
mgrosvold
lvl.2
United States

Brum Ken Posted at 2017-8-25 10:42

Thanks for you reply.  You are correct.    Forecasts are often accurate and can be useful.  My thinking was that real time info would be preferable to somebody's best guess and if the drone already has this info, why not display it?
2017-8-25
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
United Kingdom

mgrosvold Posted at 2017-8-25 10:48
Thanks for you reply.  You are correct.    Forecasts are often accurate and can be useful.  My thinking was that real time info would be preferable to somebody's best guess and if the drone already has this info, why not display it?

yes I think it does maybe it will come I the near future
2017-8-25
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

Nice! Just downloaded it. the nfz map is as lacking as the one in dji go but thats okay, it has what i have been wanting.. thx for sharing
2017-8-25
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Great APP... Just download it and install...
2017-8-25
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
United Kingdom

lafoto Posted at 2017-8-25 13:07
Great APP... Just download it and install...

nice 1 bud I find it just about spot on
2017-8-25
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
United Kingdom

wglovett Posted at 2017-8-25 12:40
Nice! Just downloaded it. the nfz map is as lacking as the one in dji go but thats okay, it has what i have been wanting.. thx for sharing

your welcome
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

There will be reminder in DJI GO 4 when strong wind was detected. For the accurate reading, I have forwarded to our engineers for further review.
2017-8-26
Use props
_tajino_
lvl.2
Malaysia

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-26 22:59
There will be reminder in DJI GO 4 when strong wind was detected. For the accurate reading, I have forwarded to our engineers for further review.

What's the wind speed threshold that will trigger DJI GO4 strong wind warning?

Would be really helpful if the strong wind warning comes with wind speed and direction info as well, instead of just saying strong wind was detected. 'Strong' is subjective, how strong is the wind, let us know the current wind speed values.
2018-3-11
Use props
burnham187
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I agree it would be helpful to show the wind speed where the drone is at.  that UAV app is good but would be good to have while having the DJI app open.
2018-3-11
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Agree, I was asking myself Why they did not implement such easy to do indicator, but DJI being best on the market is not pressed to please customers
Regarding strong wind message, it was a configurable parameter in previous FW versions and it's defined as 6 m/s or 21 km/h if I am not mistaken
2018-3-11
Use props
Strobing_NYC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3866470 ft
United States

Look for another app called "Windy" Will give wind speed and guest speed at altitude. Great app to have I think it's better then UAV forecast.
2018-3-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

_tajino_ Posted at 2018-3-11 10:02
What's the wind speed threshold that will trigger DJI GO4 strong wind warning?

Would be really helpful if the strong wind warning comes with wind speed and direction info as well, instead of just saying strong wind was detected. 'Strong' is subjective, how strong is the wind, let us know the current wind speed values.

It depends on which drone do you refer. For P4 series, the message will appear if the wind speed is more than 7m/s. For Mavic, the wind speed is 6m/s.
2018-3-13
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

DJI drones do not measure actual wind speed, they use accelerometer's to measure the force of the wind relative to the drones flight controller preset telemetry. The hover and stability of the drone is based on input from the GPS/GLONASS & Compass systems to maintain a single position in the sky, so when the wind effects the Flight controller wanting to move the drone the accelerometers counter that with autonomous input or commands from the RC to the FC to maintain stable position & attitude.

This is why many/most drones are lost when GPS/Compass signals are interrupted or lost completely resulting the FC to enter "Atti" mode which is complete manual manipulation using the RC and skill to maneuver.

Wind estimates are always part of your flight plan, as suggested above UAV Forecast is one of the better sites to pre-plan

Sorry to be so long winded but if more UAV users understood the sophisticated telemetry involved there would be less loss.
2018-3-13
Use props
mgrosvold
lvl.2
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-13 02:44
DJI drones do not measure actual wind speed, they use accelerometer's to measure the force of the wind relative to the drones flight controller preset telemetry. The hover and stability of the drone is based on input from the GPS/GLONASS & Compass systems to maintain a single position in the sky, so when the wind effects the Flight controller wanting to move the drone the accelerometers counter that with autonomous input or commands from the RC to the FC to maintain stable position & attitude.

This is why many/most drones are lost when GPS/Compass signals are interrupted or lost completely resulting the FC to enter "Atti" mode which is complete manual manipulation using the RC and skill to maneuver.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond to my post.  You, in more techospeak and with more eloquence, restated  precisely what I was getting at in my original post:
In order to hold a hover it must calculate how to counter the forces acting upon it.  Therefore, it must know the wind's relative direction and its force.

I didn't say that it measured wind speed.  I was trying to say that it should be able to figure it out.  Again, my thinking is that in order to hold position in a hover,  it  calculates the counter force needed to negate the force of the wind pushing against it.   I would think that from that calculation wind speed and direction could be extrapolated and displayed.
2018-3-13
Use props
mordka
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2178 ft
Poland

Hi guys, I'm a wind sports enthusiast and I want to create an app that will precisely show the wind speed and direction when drone is hovering. Are you interested in this? Please note it will required to fly with another app.
2018-10-3
Use props
WRHershey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not real time, but if you use AirData, it provides detailed information about your flight as soon as the props stop.
2018-10-9
Use props
fansbcb2554e
New
United States

mordka Posted at 10-3 11:14
Hi guys, I'm a wind sports enthusiast and I want to create an app that will precisely show the wind speed and direction when drone is hovering. Are you interested in this? Please note it will required to fly with another app.

For sailboat racing, it would be terrific to be able to fly the (Mavic 2) to a race buoy and get real-time wind speed and direction. To be truly useful, it would have to be quite accurate. Presently the method of determining wind speed and direction at race buoys (typically 2- 3) is to send a power boat to the buoy where someone stands on the deck with a wind meter and radios the info back to the committee boat via marine VHF. Drone should also be able to confirm the precise lat/lon of the race buoy.

Capt Garrett
2018-11-25
Use props
djiuser_5AhnQN85qYQP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 66811 ft
United States

mordka Posted at 10-3 11:14

Yep, I'm interested. I need the wind speed and direction (magnetic is preferable) in real time. Having an average or history will be a big benefit too.
2018-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules