Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying at the Brooklyn Bridge?
6595 16 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Clare_G101
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39236 ft
United States

For my school, I am taking AP photo, and we are taking a trip to NY and going around at some sites to take photos. One of them in particular is the Brooklyn Bridge, I know you can't fly almost anywhere in NY, but am I allowed to fly it there? Or no? Is there anywhere in NY where I can fly it?
2017-8-25
Use props
323 Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 761621 ft
United States

I would check B4UFLY app and see if there are any restrictions or see the area where you might be able to fly.
2017-8-25
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your best bet is to call the local PD.
2017-8-25
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Be careful bro, there's a heliport around that area.

2017-8-25
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

For your safety and the people and cars around the bridge you should not fly plus there are 4 heliports and 1 seaplane base in the area.
2017-8-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

helipads and seaplane bases are zones of advisory they do not require explicit permission.   if you want to you can call them and request permission, it is curiosity but not explicitly required.

never contact the police before flying, the police and the FAA do not seem to have literally any connection at all and they will look at it by what it sounds like not what it really is..and sadly, specially in NY, police do not have the best interest of the public in mind, they have a paycheck in mind that's a steep quota to fill, dont bother calling them for such activities, you will put yourself on the radar..

i would say depending on your skill level how comfortable you are handling it..weather etc etc.. if its beautiful clear day, and you are a decent pilot, go for it, keep your distance though. its large and metal and powered it will cause some disruptions once too close.  and do it NY style, meaning dont ask just do... if ur told to leave leave by have your drone follow you out of reach or lead your out of reach.,.
2017-8-25
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Haha he sd call your local pd! Now that is something....like they would have any clue
2017-8-25
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-25 16:53
helipads and seaplane bases are zones of advisory they do not require explicit permission.   if you want to you can call them and request permission, it is curiosity but not explicitly required.

never contact the police before flying, the police and the FAA do not seem to have literally any connection at all and they will look at it by what it sounds like not what it really is..and sadly, specially in NY, police do not have the best interest of the public in mind, they have a paycheck in mind that's a steep quota to fill, dont bother calling them for such activities, you will put yourself on the radar..

For some guys it's easier to say: No you can't fly there! Simply because they don't have the balls to do it... even if in a safe way... that is called #droneparanoia ... and don't matter what you do behind the scenes to make it safe and right some will come to point the finger and say you are irresponsible, reckless and will en up in jail...

You gave a nice, and honest answer. Hard to find one like this in this forum!
2017-8-26
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

I recommend doing it at sunrise when nobody is around and you'll get good light. Also, I'd do it from Dumbo and do it with VLOS
2017-8-26
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

In Sydney We had an idiot crash into the Sydney Harbour Bridge. All of it captured on a dashcam, as the detritus rained down on cars traversing the bridge. There's a good reason that flying over or near such structures isn't allowed — particularly as it's immediately followed by calls for stricter regulations.
2017-8-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-8-26 12:22
In Sydney We had an idiot crash into the Sydney Harbour Bridge. All of it captured on a dashcam, as the detritus rained down on cars traversing the bridge. There's a good reason that flying over or near such structures isn't allowed — particularly as it's immediately followed by calls for stricter regulations.

trust me, not a problem.. can't blame us all because one retard couldn't control his aircraft...and always going to be someone to push a social/political agenda on any new "hot" topic.. ignoring larger issues..

if you think someone using a drone to fly around a bridge is bad, you missing out on all the people illegally flying real planes at dangerous altitudes all the time..  i know several places where i have seen people flying below required AGL..  most peoples the floor is 500 feet AGL in the states, i seen prop planes passing by below 100 feet no airports paved or unpaved in 10 mile radius in some of areas i seen buzzing through.   not to mention helicopters and seaplanes are one of the largest violators of aeronautical rules.. i think they do it because they can get away with it a lot of times, not many people know the rules for them and clearance zones for them.. they dont have to explicitly contact any air control tower either if they aren't near an airport with one.
2017-8-26
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-26 13:29
"trust me, not a problem.. can't blame us all because one retard couldn't control his aircraft...and always going to be someone to push a social/political agenda on any new "hot" topic.. ignoring larger issues..

if you think someone using a drone to fly around a bridge is bad, you missing out on all the people illegally flying real planes at dangerous altitudes all the time..  i know several places where i have seen people flying below required AGL..  most peoples the floor is 500 feet AGL in the states, i seen prop planes passing by below 100 feet no airports paved or unpaved in 10 mile radius in some of areas i seen buzzing through.   not to mention helicopters and seaplanes are one of the largest violators of aeronautical rules.. i think they do it because they can get away with it a lot of times, not many people know the rules for them and clearance zones for them.. they dont have to explicitly contact any air control tower either if they aren't near an airport with one."

you missing out on all the people illegally flying real planes at dangerous altitudes all the time..  i know several places where i have seen people flying below required AGL..  most peoples the floor is 500 feet AGL in the states, i seen prop planes passing by below 100 feet no airports paved or unpaved in 10 mile radius in some of areas i seen buzzing through.   not to mention helicopters and seaplanes are one of the largest violators of aeronautical rules.. i think they do it because they can get away with it a lot of times, not many people know the rules for them and clearance zones for them.."

Totally agree.

Like motorcycle riding there's always an idiot who ruins it for the rest of us who are responsible riders/pilots.
2017-8-26
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-8-26 13:33
you missing out on all the people illegally flying real planes at dangerous altitudes all the time..  i know several places where i have seen people flying below required AGL..  most peoples the floor is 500 feet AGL in the states, i seen prop planes passing by below 100 feet no airports paved or unpaved in 10 mile radius in some of areas i seen buzzing through.   not to mention helicopters and seaplanes are one of the largest violators of aeronautical rules.. i think they do it because they can get away with it a lot of times, not many people know the rules for them and clearance zones for them.."

And then come some other idiots to point you a finger saying you're irresponsable beacause you'd like to make some nice shots of a iconic bridge....
2017-8-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-8-26 16:37
And then come some other idiots to point you a finger saying you're irresponsable beacause you'd like to make some nice shots of a iconic bridge....

welcome to 2017
2017-8-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Think twice before you do it. And I would recommend you to contact the local police and the Flysafe Team via flysafe@dji.com for further assistance.
2017-8-26
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i was told no last time i was in dumbo
2017-9-3
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

just do it and screw it...  i would...  i respect certain airspaces and limits.. but its a bridge.. a bridge i flown around and under a few today.. no issues i do recommend using tripod mode and/or cinema mode if you plan on getting closer...  that makes it controllable if the aircraft flips into atti mode because all interference and metal.. if flying at a slightly distance like 50 feet back then just go slow and smooth.

i dont know how well people outside of america understand the corrupt police culture we deal with in america, but NEVER contact the police about such things.. they wont know its outside of their jurisdiction and they may have a quota to fill and you are just painting a target on you back for them to get their bonus check..

if you want to know if its legal, i suggest sticking with FAA guidelines and rules, checking various maps...  remember only places you need explicit permissions from is airports with elevated control towers.. contacting any other air traffic control system like seaplane bases, heliports, unpaved private airports is not explicitly require just courtesy.. maybe print them out and keep them attatched to clioboard or in a clipboardbox or something so if an officer interacts without wrongly while flying and minding your own, you can hand them the rules, map and zones.. outlined..   
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules