1244 10 2015-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm on a film shoot in the mountains at the end of the week and I was concerned about the camera issues that people have had in cold weather and also about the landing gear plastic feet becoming brittle below -5 degrees C. I've just fitted the camera and landing gear upgrade to be used in conjunction with the dji battery heater. The instructions weren't great and I'm not sure I have them the right way around, but I think it looks right. Any input would be greatly appreciated Pics attached.
2015-3-31
Use props
Christian
lvl.2

Germany

Hi Dave, i was flying in canada last week. Temperature was mostly below zero and i realized following issues:

+ Gimbal Twitches (a lot more than in warm weather)
+ Battery Heater is nice but it takes time to heat the battery and you just have 85% power left after heating.

Just a few tipps for better flying in cold and snowy surroundings:
+ Keep your batteries always warm, best would be a insulated box with heaters (for ski boots) in it, to keep a solid temperature.
+ Use the DJI Pads for the batteries to keep them warm after takeoff.
+ If you want to start and land from snow, organzie a solid base (min. 1x1m) where you can take off, otherwise your inspire will be covered with snow (Important for RTH also...).
+ Check battery temperature before takeoff, should be 20 degreee celcius best.
+ Organize a little brush to remove snow from the Inspire (Landing gear, Camera, Motors)

Have a save trip and good shots,
cheers, Christian

P.S. No pictures where attached!

2015-3-31
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Christian and thanks for your input, they are great tips. For some reason I am struggling to upload the photographs, I will try again in a while.
An update on the low temperature kit. I have just returned from a friends catering company where we had the bird in his walk in freezer.(yes I am a little retentive about this trip as it is one of those make or break shoots and I need everything to go right) The temperature was -19 degrees C in the freezer but using an infra red thermometer we tested the camera and landing gear and they were maintained at between +4 and +5 degrees C with minimal current drain from the battery. It works !!! Sorry about the pics I'll keep trying.  
2015-3-31
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Christian Posted at 2015-3-31 20:18
Hi Dave, i was flying in canada last week. Temperature was mostly below zero and i realized followin ...

Christian,

How about trying those Hand Warmers to warm the batteries, this would save on battery life.
2015-3-31
Use props
Christian
lvl.2

Germany

Hi GB, that´s what i meant. They are small and you can put it in your gloves or boots.
Put some of these in the box and heat everything up...
2015-3-31
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What are these hand warmers please?
2015-3-31
Use props
choptlivah
lvl.2
Flight distance : 795633 ft
Canada

Dave E these are what they mean:

http://industrialsafetygear.com/hard-hats/ISG-HW1.html
2015-3-31
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks choptlivah.
I found out why I couldnt post the pics earlier........ I had to wait until midnight China time to reset my upload limit. Sorry for the wait. I really am sorry. Its the 1st April now so here they are......
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
2015-3-31
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Dave E Posted at 2015-4-1 00:03
Thanks choptlivah.
I found out why I couldnt post the pics earlier........ I had to wait until midni ...

............epic
2015-3-31
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

Dave E Posted at 2015-4-1 00:03
Thanks choptlivah.
I found out why I couldnt post the pics earlier........ I had to wait until midni ...

Dave,
Cute but the camera has a fan on the back side that seems to be obstructed... I wouldn't advise powering and using the camera without a proper airflow allowed.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-1
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks Bogdan It is for show only lol
2015-4-1
Use props