Dji spark battery fall out mid-air
13837 62 2017-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7cf55448
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13 ft
Belgium

same here, it was my first flight after 20 suddenly the battery fell out and the drone crashed. i can't use it anymore, need to replace.
flight records: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/G65FFOQJPAVH0LDYXEMJ/

after the incident, i went straight to the shop where I bought it. they texted me yesterday it was not a warranty case.
so i need to send it to dji diagnostic center and i hope the best.
2018-3-27
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

its a know design fault , fit a battery anti-drop out device , search the forums here

dji are a chinese company they won't lose face with a recall.
2018-3-27
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

fans3ecbc391 Posted at 2018-1-12 17:40
This seems to be a very real issue with the design of the latches for the Spark batteries. We experience the same thing a couple of weeks back - Spark at 40 feet, suddenly the battery popped off. Spark and battery fell immediately to the ground. This video clearly lays out the problem: http://bit.ly/2DrQBui

DJI has now had our Spark since Jan. 3. Initially they insisted that they would not do a warranty repair and that it had to be taken care of under Care Refresh. But I don't agree. Even the flight logs show the sudden power disconnect - drone at 40 feet then... nothing. No descent, crash, etc. Just the loss of power. Several calls to support are met with, "This will be re-examined and resolved today" but then nothing happens. Starting to get very frustrated. Check those battery seatings carefully! Test them! In our case, DJI has been slow in taking responsibility for what is obviously a manufacturing problem.

I had the same problem in February. Drone took off and after 29 mtrs I saw the battery and Drone separate and fall to the ground. Luckily I found the Drone. I contacted DJi support and they advised I send it in for analysis. This I did and they confirmed battery fell out,, i.e. immediate loss of power and telemetry, Drone was repaired and battery replaced all under warranty.. This battery was purchased in July 2017 and had the smaller weaker clips. All my batteries have now got the bigger stronger clips!!
2018-3-27
Use props
fans8750c807
New
Australia

I just had the same problem and my battery ejected mid-flight. I was able to retrieve the drone and battery. My battery housing is stuffed now and the drone has an ESC error. I've emailed and chatted to DJI and will begin the process of sending my drone to DJI for repair and inspection. I hope DJI can come to the party on this one because it appears to be a design flaw and I'm very disappointed considering how reputable the brand is. I was suppose to take footage for my engagement this weekend  which was the main reason for buying the drone and because of this incident I feel like I've wasted my money.
2018-3-28
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

Flighty Posted at 2018-3-27 23:03
I had the same problem in February. Drone took off and after 29 mtrs I saw the battery and Drone separate and fall to the ground. Luckily I found the Drone. I contacted DJi support and they advised I send it in for analysis. This I did and they confirmed battery fell out,, i.e. immediate loss of power and telemetry, Drone was repaired and battery replaced all under warranty.. This battery was purchased in July 2017 and had the smaller weaker clips. All my batteries have now got the bigger stronger clips!!

Good for you
2018-3-28
Use props
RjMllr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17913 ft
Philippines

fans7cf55448 Posted at 2018-3-27 01:12
same here, it was my first flight after 20 suddenly the battery fell out and the drone crashed. i can't use it anymore, need to replace.
flight records: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/G65FFOQJPAVH0LDYXEMJ/

Please update us. goodluck to your case, hope it will went well
2018-3-28
Use props
fans7cf55448
lvl.1
Hungary

djiuser_RwKQjjb Posted at 2018-1-27 23:59
Me too!!! My SPARK was totally broken an hour ago.
I inserted battery with CLICK sound clearly as usual.  
I took off the SPARK and I was watching my SPARK is going up. The SPARK's altitude was on about 19 meters and just 5 meters in front of me.

update us,  Did DJI replace it?
2018-4-1
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I am just wonderin a bit. All my batts are from Summer last year and, by the looks of it,  have the small latch.
But there are two of 'em, they working separate and even if one would not lock, the other would.
Till now I have used all of em 50-60 times and no trouble. And I just insert them, 'click'

So what is wrong with your batteries, on top of the size of the latch?
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-4-1 08:08
I am just wonderin a bit. All my batts are from Summer last year and, by the looks of it,  have the small latch.
But there are two of 'em, they working separate and even if one would not lock, the other would.
Till now I have used all of em 50-60 times and no trouble. And I just insert them, 'click'

Hi, can you post a video about the situation? Please provide more info so we can locate the problem. Thanks for your support.
2018-4-2
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-2 00:00
Hi, can you post a video about the situation? Please provide more info so we can locate the problem. Thanks for your support.

Elektra, till now I do not have any problem with my batteries.
But thanks for your concern. ;-)
I am just trying to figure out what else, on top of the smaller latch, is making this batteries fall from the sky.
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-4-2 02:20
Elektra, till now I do not have any problem with my batteries.
But thanks fir your concern. ;-)
I am just trying to figure out what else, on top of the smaller latch, is making this batteries fall from the sky.

I see. Please contact us if you find anything wrong.
2018-4-2
Use props
fans7cf55448
lvl.1

RjMllr Posted at 2018-3-28 21:42
Please update us. goodluck to your case, hope it will went well

DJI repair it under warranty. Damaged parts: one battery, one propeller set, middle frame, camera module and main board.
2018-4-5
Use props
patrickbateman
lvl.1
United States

fans7cf55448 Posted at 2018-4-5 02:47
DJI repair it under warranty. Damaged parts: one battery, one propeller set, middle frame, camera module and main board.

fans7cf55448, same thing happened to me. What is the best way to get this taken care of under warranty? I chatted with online support and they said to open a case and mail it in, and MAYBE they would cover it if it was a software error. Clearly this is not a software error, and rather, a manufacturing defect. Just trying to figure out the best way to get this resolved under warranty. Thanks in advance.
2018-4-17
Use props
JZMays
lvl.1

Iceland

Hello, I also experienced this issue. I I have flown it maybe a half-dozen times and had repeated issues with the battery falling out mid flight. It seemed to happen more with one battery than the other. After the first time, I constantly tested each battery and marked the one that it seemed to happen with the most. I was recently flying over a stream at 15 meter and the good battery ejected and the drone crashed into the stream. I recovered the body but not the battery. This seems to be more than just human error as there are several threads on the forum about this, my question is concerning plugging the body in to get the flight logs. Since it got wet I am worried about completely ruining it.

Also, the spark was a gift for xmas, and unfortunately the person who bought it assumed the combo pack included the refresh insurance and told me that --which it didn't. I figured it out too late as I flew it a bit on xmas and didn't try again until spring.

Is this something  the DJI Warranty will cover?

As the body got really wet, I am afraid to plud
2018-4-22
Use props
randomhero
lvl.2
Flight distance : 67864 ft
Canada

2018-4-22
Use props
roomlizzard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40853 ft

South Africa

Hi There

Same Happened to me Yesterday ,
- Flying My Spark and taking some nice sunset photos
and for the first time trying out the Manual Camera Settings on the drone

as I was looking at the spark I saw it Happened ,
Battery ejected and both drone and battery fell to the ground

-  Recovered both the Drone and the Battery  

Battery is Totalled as it hit some concrete below
lucky the Drone hit some soft ground

- Booted up the Drone with another Battery and looks like its fine
- I had some issues connecting it to my Cellphone and Controller but after a few attempts it connected to my Controller again

Today I took it to a field to see how it preforms , and it all looks fine , except that
I am getting some Noise from the front left Motor

- When I inserted the Battery I could hear a "Click" and felt like it is quite Secured in place
before this whole incident

I am from South Africa - Pretoria

- This does look like a Manufacturing fault
I was not aware that there is 2x types of Batteries for the Drone - (Old gen / new gen with bigger clips)

- The Noise best I can Describe is High Pitch Electrical Humming
and afterwards the Motor did feel hotter then the other Motors

is there any chance DJI will be able to assist me with this issue ?

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... 6vheStT_rBTI7yWJ4rN

Regards  
2018-5-5
Use props
chamdew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 47169 ft

roomlizzard Posted at 2018-5-5 07:50
Hi There

Same Happened to me Yesterday ,

few days ago, i lost my drone . only reason i can guess is battery ejection problem.

this is really really serious issue. DJI must pay attention on this issue.
this is really really dangerous situation. i don't want to think it fall down onto somebody.
2018-5-5
Use props
roomlizzard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40853 ft

South Africa

Hi There

I have made contact with DJI Support

they reviewed my flight data , and have asked me to ship the my Drone to them

With a Case number , Drone is ready to go

- But I am having some trouble getting info from them ...

I need to send my Drone in to the following Address :

Unit 912, 9F Building 16W, Science Park West Ave, Phase Three, Hong Kong Science Park, Pak Shek Kok, Hong Kong
Company: Iflight Technology Company Limited
Contact person: DJI Warehouse

My Courier Company does not pick up that address

Reply from my Courier Company :
"I am not picking up the town or areas name to where we should deliver this parcel, Pak Shek Kok,
can you please send me the area code then I can try picking it up"

Does anyone know what the Area Code is for that Repair Center is ?

- I have Emailed DJI Support asking this , but no feedback yet ..
has been 2 days since I have emailed them ...

- I have tried to phone the number supplied , but having  some trouble to get through to it
as I live in South Africa - Pretoria

Any feedback would be appreciated

Regards
2018-5-23
Use props
fans1cde8122
New
Flight distance : 83937 ft

Czechia

Wow... so many cases like this.
My drone also got battery detached, 16 meters above ground, when I saw battery fall off, and then drone fell 8 meters away from me. Goin to send it to Netherlands. Damage is severe: 1 arm broken, camera glass broken, also camera image has a scratch.
This is really not safe, and not the quality expected for 500$
2018-11-21
Use props
Rustic17
First Officer
Flight distance : 2733760 ft
United States

Search Spark battery clips on Amazon...For $5.99 you can get peace of mind and never have a battery pop out.  
2018-11-21
Use props
djiuser_lwtcC4QY3riZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62976 ft
United States

djiuser_RwKQjjb Posted at 2018-1-27 23:59
Me too!!! My SPARK was totally broken an hour ago.
I inserted battery with CLICK sound clearly as usual.  
I took off the SPARK and I was watching my SPARK is going up. The SPARK's altitude was on about 19 meters and just 5 meters in front of me.

same thing happened to me over the weekend. DJI wont do a darn thing......
2019-2-6
Use props
djiuser_lwtcC4QY3riZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62976 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-28 09:47
I think it's hard to confirm (based on your description) that it was in fact the battery that disconnected and fell.  In fact based on your description, I would conclude with some confidence that whatever it is you saw, it was probably not the battery.

If it was the battery that somehow became detached, there is no residual energy to keep the spark going.  The battery and spark would have come down simultaneously.  The battery might have hit first because the spark has greater aerodynamic drag on the way down, but the descent of both would begin simultaneously.  Based on your description, it sounds like there was enough time to identify one object falling from the spark first, shortly followed by the spark.

Battery does become detached!!! Don't keep fooling yourself.
I had mine do the double click, liftoff and at 20ft pop off.
2019-2-6
Use props
Tim Rogers7
New

United States

+1 for me as well   I will post when I hear from DJI. This is a ridiculous issue, DJI is going to seriously hurt or kill someone. I would hate to see it happen, but it needs, and DJI needs to be sued for LOTS of $. Then MAYBE DJI will realize they can not get away with serious flaws like this.
2019-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules