System error and no wifi symbol - Phantom 2 vision+
3785 25 2015-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tomsommerseth
lvl.1

Norway

Hi!
I just purchased (1 month ago) the new DJI Phantom 2 Vision+ and it has more or less performed well. I have had the need to do the "Controller Camera Tilt wheel callibration"  a couple of times due to "jerky movement" when using the camera tilt wheel.

The last to flight I have seen "connection error" (connection lost?) on my iPhone 6 Plus while flying. Phantom has never been more that 100 meters away while those errors occured and no powerlines in near sight and open fields. So I read about re-binding the wifi extender. After a few tries I managed to bind them together, but now when I am on the Phantom network (even in flightmode on my iPhone) my Wifi symbol does not show up, only 4G. I tried on another iPhone and same result. I can however see whats going on so they are connected, but I am little bit worried to fly again...If it loses connection and the whole thing goes down... I got so worried last time I flew when this happened that I performed a controlled "emergency landing". I had to turn of drone, controller and wifi extender, open DJI app again and then the error was gone. Is this faulty firmware? I have read so many threads here with people having problems with this and that... I am now seriously considering returning my Phantom to the retailer and go for the Inspire instead. Will these "bugs" be fixed in firmware updates or is this something we have to live with?

Sum up this long message:

Anyone know why the wifi symbol is not showing even tho the iPhone is connected to the Phantom? And how to fix it?

Thanks a lot for any replies,

Cheers from Norway,

Tom
2015-3-31
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1047503 ft
United Kingdom

As long as the app shows as connected to the extender then I would say its an apple issue, i only use an Android phone as I found the iPhone to be laggy on FPV
Could you borrow an android phone and see if the same thing happens
2015-3-31
Use props
tomsommerseth
lvl.1

Norway

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-4-1 00:52
As long as the app shows as connected to the extender then I would say its an apple issue, i only us ...

Hi and thanks! But it does not show on two different iPhones. This all happened after re-binding...

Is it safe to fly it?

Thanks for you reply.

Tom
2015-4-1
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Never used my iPhone only android hence the request for you to try an android

IMHO if the app is working ( screen shot would be good)!then yes I would fly
2015-4-2
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

You have to calibrate WITHOUT using your computer.  I had the same problem and one of the forums posted the complete instructions.  I look for them again but I am sure Gerry will have it posted long before I find it.  Have no fear it will be here shortly.
2015-4-2
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Here you go.  This will work and BTW, it was posted by Gerry1124.
093139rmq5ycusimuss1yb.gif
2015-4-2
Use props
davidw63
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Make sure your "preview" video is set to 320X240 at 15FPS.. Lowest of the settings. I also use the "DJI Ulitmate Flight" App which so far has worked great for me. Its a payed app but worth the 10.00.
2015-4-2
Use props
tomsommerseth
lvl.1

Norway

Thanks guys! Sorry, I did not get any email notifications, but I will try the callibration without software

Cheers,

Tom
2015-4-3
Use props
tomsommerseth
lvl.1

Norway

acenothing Posted at 2015-4-3 01:00
Here you go.  This will work and BTW, it was posted by Gerry1124.

Hi! This is for the gimbal issue? Not wifi symbol not appearing right?

Cheers,

Tom
2015-4-3
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

tomsommerseth@g Posted at 2015-4-3 16:53
Hi! This is for the gimbal issue? Not wifi symbol not appearing right?

Cheers,

Tom,
After you put your phone in Flight mode you must turn on Wifi as flight mode actually turns that off to, then wait for your Phantom to show up as the network and select it. Please let us know if that helps.
Can I also presume if you have a range extender that it is fully charged, this can take up to 4 hrs. From empty...
2015-4-3
Use props
tomsommerseth
lvl.1

Norway

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-4-3 19:18
Tom,
After you put your phone in Flight mode you must turn on Wifi as flight mode actually turns th ...

Hi!
Yes it worked before I did the re-binding. It is connected, everything is charged, I am in flight-mode, but wifi symbol is not there. It does work, but I was more curious to how to fix it. Have tried with another iPhone as well. Same result.

Cheers,

Tom
2015-4-3
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

So that i understand,
Your iPhone is in Airplane mode as in the first picture..
You then manually turn on the wifi on the iPhone as in the second picture..and while there, disable any other networks by selecting it and pick "forget this network"...
and then the Phantom network shows up as in the third picture..
Do you get the screen as in the 4th picture on your iPhone "circled in top right corner"..
I presume your TX is charged with both green lights as in the last picture...
If yes to all the above, the only thing i could suggest is deleting the Vision app from your phone, reboot your phone, reinstall and retry..,otherwise you may have an issue with your TX or possibly the Phantom though not sure and beyond my scope to analyze...
I am presuming your iOS is current on your iPhone, your RC and Phantom and TX are up to date with latest firmware etc.?
Airplane Mode.PNG
Turn WiFi On.PNG
Phantom Network.PNG
Vision app with Wifi signal.PNG
TX Lights.JPG
2015-4-3
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

He isn't seeing the wifi symbol at the top of his phone screen, I do a google search and it seems to be a common issue, as I said in my first post

http://forums.everythingicafe.co ... ill-shows-3g.51548/
2015-4-3
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Crash,
Thanks, looks like i overlooked that, oh well, maybe some useful info for someone having a connection issue of a different kind.
That said, about the only thing i could think of doing at this point is dump the Vision app, hard reset the phone and reload the Vision app or dump the app, do a restore from iTunes, reload the app and see if that helps,
All of these devices are communicating somehow and there is a quirk in his set-up somewhere for sure...Trial and error and probably fairly simple unless his RE has gone sour!
I am using an iPhone 5s with all latest iOS, Vision app, Phantom and RC are up to date with latest versions with 40+ full batteries through the latest firmware update without any hiccups...
2015-4-3
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

The TX is irrelevant in this issue, you can connect on the RE as long as the quad is powered on, hence if you power off the TX when flying the app stays connected and shows coming home

Ok so i got home and dug out my iphone, heres what i have.

Open the app and let it sit at the 4 tile screen, turn the phone to landscape position so that the phones top bar shows,  the green light is on and it shows as connected to Phantom_623334, however across the top it shows Vodafone UK 3G and NO wifi symbol ???

Exit the screen and the Phone doesnt show the WIFI symbol

And this has happened since i ran the upgrade on the range extender in the settings page, to allow me access to cache maps whilst still conected to the Quad

Im assuming the apple iphone shows its strongest connection to the internet hence the 3G symbol

To the OP does the WIFI symbol (in blue) show in the app, top right of the screen ?

2015-4-3
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

crash1sttime Posted at 2015-4-4 02:37
The TX is irrelevant in this issue, you can connect on the RE as long as the quad is powered on, hen ...

If you are in Airplane mode no 3G should be showing!, nothing, nada except a little plane in the upper left of the screen and wifi if you turn it back on which he has...barring an iPhone malfunction or a problem with the (Range Extnender)

2015-4-3
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

tomsommerseth@g Posted at 2015-4-3 21:40
Hi!
Yes it worked before I did the re-binding. It is connected, everything is charged, I am in fli ...

Can you actually start the motors on the Phantom?
2015-4-3
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Quote The OP

Sum up this long message:
Anyone know why the wifi symbol is not showing even tho the iPhone is connected to the Phantom? And how to fix it?

As i said, and can prove with a screen shot, the Iphone doesnt show the WIFI symbol if the RE has had the upgrade.

Quote Northofhte49th

.And if he is losing wifi which connects to the TX as the TX is actually a "range extender"
.because we then know the TX is not communicating with the RC,

The TX is just that, a TX that controls the quad and nothing more, the range extender is the small white box that sits on the TX, and its this that links the quad wifi with the phone.

TX = Transmitter
RC = Remote Control

Both are the same thing, so your statement that ".because we then know the TX is not communicating with the RC," means that the transmitter isnt communicating with the remote control. utter nonsense

Im not getting into a flame war with you, but i think that you need to stop posting comments that have no validity and make no sense.

2015-4-3
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

Crash,
Now, now, don't let your eggs get into a boil...unless you are prepared to color them for Easter..

And pardon me if i misunderstood something in the original statement and confused the RC and the Wifi Extender, I should have just said "no" and "no" and left it alone, but i did not, i tried to help, that said...In a recent couple of threads, TX and Wifi Extender were used seemingly synonymously so maybe a brain fart....and i have edited previous posts here..I stand corrected..

So...for anything else, i am ready..if you are....

And as in an earlier thread i posted and indicated, pictures and detail are worth a thousand words, fortunately i have not had the issues of the OP or some of the others apparently posting with the similar problem, fortunate i guess.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... %2Bpost&lang=en
Let's_joust.jpg
2015-4-3
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

tomsommerseth@g Posted at 2015-4-3 21:40
Hi!
Yes it worked before I did the re-binding. It is connected, everything is charged, I am in fli ...

Tom,
apologies if i had you on any kind of misguided tour, good luck with finding the problem..
2015-4-3
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

All the range extender does is connect to the camera.  You do not need to have the range extender on to start and fly the Phantom in manual mode.
2015-4-3
Use props
ronnydsosa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21624 ft
United States

To the OP... To fix this issue you gonna have to restore your phone to factory settings then restore from back up.... Then  do a reset nerwotk connection and your issue should be gone...  
2015-4-3
Use props
Northofthe49th
lvl.4

Canada

ronnydsosa@gmai Posted at 2015-4-4 08:15
To the OP... To fix this issue you gonna have to restore your phone to factory settings then restore ...

Ronny,
Thanks,
I posted that about 10 posts previous though not sure OP is watching.
2015-4-3
Use props
crash1sttime
lvl.4
United Kingdom

North my apologies and as for jousting I'm to old
2015-4-3
Use props
tomsommerseth
lvl.1

Norway

Hi guys and thanks for all the good replies.
Most of the things seem to work as they should. Exept that I get quite often the "connection" error while flying (although it connects again), open field, no powerlines in sight clear direction to the drone, within 100 meters. I really want to fly further, espescially going over water like I did here:
But with not seeing the wifi symbol and the occasional connection lost I do not dare to go further

I tried with another iPhone that had not been connected to the Phantom before and it did not show wifi symbol either. Maybe an iOS thing? But all of this happened after re-binding the extender. Since everything else seems to work more or less, I should just fly safely?

Another question, anyone know of any mods to avoid the props getting into the shots? Its kind of hard to see it while flying how much of a tilt downwards you need to have in order to avoid the propellers on the shots.

Thanks again for all the good advice. Really really appreciate it!

Cheers from Norway,
Tom
2015-4-4
Use props
adriano.jaques
New

Hi Tom,
I have same problem, all functions ok, but not symbol wifi when conect,
you solve this ?
2016-7-28
Use props
Advanced