CrystalSky vs tablets
3656 6 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

So, we have had a ton of issues with the latest firmware updates and DJI GO 4 version with our brand new iPad mini 4. Within a short amount of time, the iPad overheats and becomes completely unusable for flight. It goes without saying that my flights are partly crippled by a legitimately decent piece of hardware.
What are the specs for the CrystalSky? What CPU and MHz? And how will this compare with a tablet for the future of DJI GO apps? How does this device compete (reliability/performance) with the iPad Pro?

If the DJI apps continue to become more resource intensive, will the CrystalSky keep up? I'm at a bit of a loss, our brand new iPad mini 4 (which was purchased specifically for flying) has already become. worthless, and I don't want that to continue happening each time I purchase a brand new piece of hardware.

I'm not so much interested in the brightness, which is definitely nice, but the back-end hardware performance. I don't want to be stuck with another piece of unusable hardware, and want to get the most out of my Inspire 2.

Thanks!
2017-8-29
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

I only have experience with Android devices, and the CrystalSky 5.5inch.
For me coming from a Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge where the Go4 app crashed all the time, a OnePlus 3T where the Go4 app crashes at least twice on a battery, to now the CS where i have had one disconnect in about 35 flights. I never had any issues with heat, but the CS has a fan that spins up when it gets hot. (Highest temperature i have flown in is 28 deg. C )
Some people have reported problems with temperature on the CS where the fan does not turn on.

As for specs. i dont know. Would also like to know what cpu and gpu it has onboard.
Would also like to know if the screen is some kind of gorillaglass.

For longevity, i would asume that DJI keeps the GO4 app running smoothly on the CS.
The Go4 app is usually one version behind what you can find on the app store.
I really hope i can use CS for many years/drones to come.

Brightness is a very nice addition. No need for a sunshade.
USB port and SD card slot allows dumping of files without having to bring a laptop.

Let me know if you have other questions, and i'll try my best to answer them.
2017-8-29
Use props
Roy C
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4692 ft
Philippines

I have a very important question before deciding whether to buy CrystalSky, can I install Pix4Dcapture and other apps for mapping purposes and expect it to run smoothly on CrystalSky.

Can someone share their experience if you are already using this approach.

Thank you very much.
2017-9-5
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Roy C Posted at 2017-9-5 23:03
I have a very important question before deciding whether to buy CrystalSky, can I install Pix4Dcapture and other apps for mapping purposes and expect it to run smoothly on CrystalSky.

Can someone share their experience if you are already using this approach.

Currently it is not possible to install other apps on the CrystalSky. There might be a way to "jailbreak" it, but i have not looked in to it.
Hopefully DJI will allow different apps in the future, but i have my doubts.
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-9-5 23:05
Currently it is not possible to install other apps on the CrystalSky. There might be a way to "jailbreak" it, but i have not looked in to it.
Hopefully DJI will allow different apps in the future, but i have my doubts.

That would be pronounced.... "No..."
2017-9-6
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yah, I hope this changes fast,  because I really get no use out of my Crystal Sky if I'm doing real-estate or what not and need 3rd PArt Apps.  Really a bummer.
2017-9-7
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

There might be a solution in the near future - absolutely no guarantee, but knowledge is power.
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules