I was yelled at the other day....What are your stories?
123Next >
4287 87 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-9-5 13:26
I was flying at a small harbour village called Groomsport, and got asked from a middle aged woman about my drone.  

"Can that thing see me?"  She asks.

I agree... once people even "glance" at the screen, they realize that you can't zoom in the amounts that they are frightened of.  Thanks for the post....
2017-9-5
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-5 14:03
I agree... once people even "glance" at the screen, they realize that you can't zoom in the amounts that they are frightened of.  Thanks for the post....

Your welcome.

Hope you have trouble free flights for the future!
2017-9-5
Use props
kubota344
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1023780 ft
United States

I have had neighbors tell me they would shoot it down,   but for the most part ,  I have told all my neighbors I am flying,  and have great feedback from them,  with some even telling me where to get the best shot of there houses,  so I guess the responsible thing is to try to let them know ,  and that you are not invadeing their privacy   (I even talked to person wanting to shot it down and he is now very interested in it)
2017-10-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

kubota344 Posted at 2017-10-11 18:47
I have had neighbors tell me they would shoot it down,   but for the most part ,  I have told all my neighbors I am flying,  and have great feedback from them,  with some even telling me where to get the best shot of there houses,  so I guess the responsible thing is to try to let them know ,  and that you are not invadeing their privacy   (I even talked to person wanting to shot it down and he is now very interested in it)

“Much unhappiness has come into the world because of bewilderment and things left unsaid.”
2017-10-12
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Dealing with the general public is challenging.  People are strange.  They are unpredictable.  Best to completely avoid the general public if possible.

2017-10-12
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

ive not had anyone shout at me, but recently the brother in law asked me for some aerial shots of his property, so I took a couple for him, the next day when he saw the neighbor who was off work sick, she asked him if he had seen the drone and said she thought her work was spy8ng on her because she was off.
2017-10-12
Use props
MitchellKrog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10715 ft
South Africa

Luckily not yet, I decided to take my P4P up in the back garden a few days ago just to test something, I only took it to about 20 meters max as I am in a residential area and within seconds dogs next door started barking so I brought it down quick. So far I have only done about 5 flights so it's all new to me but I always check if I am in a no fly zone or near anyone's properties but I am sure it is bound to happen one day. I did have a Yellow Billed Kite (Hawk) very very interested in the drone when I flew it up on top of the Magaliesburg mountains 2 weeks ago so I think my biggest worry right now is a Hawk or Eagle thinking it is some nice food
2017-10-12
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

I was flying a job over an empty field that was about 10 acres, there we houses on the left and right sides but the foliage made it hard to see anyone from the ground.  After I finished flying I packed up and drove to the main road and immediately I noticed a cop on the side of the road.  I thought he was just shooting radar looking for speeders but he was actually looking for me, as were 3 of his buddies.  They proceed to pull me over in a parking lot, three cop cars with their lights going will make anyone nervous and I was even though I'd done nothing wrong.  They ask me what I was doing there and was I the one flying the drone because they had several complaints from neighbors about spying.  I told them what I was doing and even showed them some of the video to prove I wasn't spying on anyone, after an hour of questioning they finally let me go.   
2017-10-12
Use props
Dockater
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-10-12 04:01
Dealing with the general public is challenging.  People are strange.  They are unpredictable.  Best to completely avoid the general public if possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKafiDxhCc

It is unbelievable how some people react, it is understandable why psychiatrists have such a high suicide rate, can you imagine having to deal with people like that every day? My blood pressure is still way up from just watching.
2017-10-12
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Floreto Posted at 2017-10-12 08:51
I was flying a job over an empty field that was about 10 acres, there we houses on the left and right sides but the foliage made it hard to see anyone from the ground.  After I finished flying I packed up and drove to the main road and immediately I noticed a cop on the side of the road.  I thought he was just shooting radar looking for speeders but he was actually looking for me, as were 3 of his buddies.  They proceed to pull me over in a parking lot, three cop cars with their lights going will make anyone nervous and I was even though I'd done nothing wrong.  They ask me what I was doing there and was I the one flying the drone because they had several complaints from neighbors about spying.  I told them what I was doing and even showed them some of the video to prove I wasn't spying on anyone, after an hour of questioning they finally let me go.

That's when you let them fly it, and then they like it so much they want one themselves!
2017-10-12
Use props
Olivier Vietti-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11618934 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

a lady who has a motel has come to us to ask us to fly elsewhere, out in my country it is not forbidden as long as you respect privacy, since I fly for m I do not move and I am often in sports mode, she threatened to call the police, but no luck for her I work in the rescue with this drone and must still say that I am often at 300 feet ... So I say to go see elsewhere
2017-10-12
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-10-12 04:01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEKafiDxhCc

Grrrrrrr... I hate this!
2017-10-12
Use props
Eric ncfwa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322526 ft
Australia

Have there been any good news stories in the media concerning drones? I haven't seen any, this is why (I believe) these people react in the way they do, because they saw it in the media drones are bad and we are all doing the wrong thing, so is it possible to change this? Well I don't think so. Good news stories don't seem to get the same attention as bad news stories, very sad

Eric
2017-10-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Eric ncfwa Posted at 2017-10-13 05:53
Have there been any good news stories in the media concerning drones? I haven't seen any, this is why (I believe) these people react in the way they do, because they saw it in the media drones are bad and we are all doing the wrong thing, so is it possible to change this? Well I don't think so. Good news stories don't seem to get the same attention as bad news stories, very sad

Eric

There was a lot of post hurricane damage that was filmed by news crews using drones.  They didn't advertise it, but there is no doubt that's what they used.  
2017-10-13
Use props
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1033222 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was in West Ireland hovering over a lake. I was parked on the side of a road and behind me was a house with a high wall. My back was facing the wall and the drone was about 50 meters away from the wall and about 10 feet above the lake water. The owner of the house looked over and told me he had to move his entire family inside because of me and didn't feel comfortable with me flying my drone nearby.
I felt like asking him if he moved his entire family inside every time a helicopter went over or if anyone was walking up the hill clearly visibly on the other side of his house.
Ridiculous.. I just told him i'm over the lake and nowhere near his house and have absolutely no interest in flying over his house and family.. I mean why would I.. I dint argue though. I just left but afterwards thought of many things I would have liked to say to him. I never once got near his house except to land on the road beside me. the lake was in the opposite direction and I was doing low level flights over the water. He just heard it and decided to make a big drama out of it. Maybe to impress his "family" who he had to "evacuate" lol.
2017-10-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Dublinphantom Posted at 2017-10-13 06:55
I was in West Ireland hovering over a lake. I was parked on the side of a road and behind me was a house with a high wall. My back was facing the wall and the drone was about 50 meters away from the wall and about 10 feet above the lake water. The owner of the house looked over and told me he had to move his entire family inside because of me and didn't feel comfortable with me flying my drone nearby.
I felt like asking him if he moved his entire family inside every time a helicopter went over or if anyone was walking up the hill clearly visibly on the other side of his house.
Ridiculous.. I just told him i'm over the lake and nowhere near his house and have absolutely no interest in flying over his house and family.. I mean why would I.. I dint argue though. I just left but afterwards thought of many things I would have liked to say to him. I never once got near his house except to land on the road beside me. the lake was in the opposite direction and I was doing low level flights over the water. He just heard it and decided to make a big drama out of it. Maybe to impress his "family" who he had to "evacuate" lol.

I think people would have a much different view of this if they understood that we don't have super zoom powers.  We see the house yes... we probably could make out people.... but we are NOT able to see and invade privacy.... Not unless we are much closer than people think....
2017-10-13
Use props
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-9-5 13:26
I was flying at a small harbour village called Groomsport, and got asked from a middle aged woman about my drone.  

"Can that thing see me?"  She asks.

You should have said that it cant see you as good as you can see her standing in front of you.. but no one would expect you to put a blindfold on lol. Seriously.. why do people really think we want to stare at them through our drones.. we have eyes.. they work better from the ground to see people
2017-10-13
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-13 06:57
I think people would have a much different view of this if they understood that we don't have super zoom powers.  We see the house yes... we probably could make out people.... but we are NOT able to see and invade privacy.... Not unless we are much closer than people think....

Was showing my Dad how the drone works and some neighbor across the street had flipped it off when it flew over.

The guy came over when he saw where it landed and said, "Sorry, I didn't know that was yours.".

I showed him the footage and told him I didn't even know he gestured at me, the camera was pointed at the river.

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 72741
2017-09-24 - Breezy Island Flight
2017-10-13
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-13 06:18
There was a lot of post hurricane damage that was filmed by news crews using drones.  They didn't advertise it, but there is no doubt that's what they used.

I noticed that a lot with the Puerto Rico hurricane after that second one had devasted the islands.

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 72741
2017-09-24 - Breezy Island Flight
2017-10-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Steve Slechta Posted at 2017-10-13 09:00
Was showing my Dad how the drone works and some neighbor across the street had flipped it off when it flew over.

The guy came over when he saw where it landed and said, "Sorry, I didn't know that was yours.".

Exactly!  Folks seem to think we can see the pupils in the eyes... when we are lucky sometimes to even be able to tell Male vs Female!
2017-10-13
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-13 09:57
Exactly!  Folks seem to think we can see the pupils in the eyes... when we are lucky sometimes to even be able to tell Male vs Female!

You’ve met my ex then lol
2017-10-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-13 10:34
You’ve met my ex then lol

OH, MY!!!!  There is a great line from a silly movie (Joe vs the Volcano)... It's only funny if you know the movie but the quote is... "I don't have a response to that...."
2017-10-13
Use props
ACW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, some old fella came up to me and said "those bloody things will be banned soon - land it" - I replied "there is statistically more of a chance of your dog biting me and my having it put down than my drone injuring anyone" - I then advised that my flight was legal and suggested he walked on before I really did do something illegal... He walked on! That said, I get far more compliments and intrigue than idiots approaching me. Being 6'5" does help though.
2017-10-13
Use props
Titanbot 4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2485909 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-29 16:48
I was accused of flying over this guys house from our town, apparently he thought I was checking out his wife, he wasn't happy, obviously I calmed him down explained I was 50 metres up couldn't see a thing so not to worry.
His friend was very annnoyed with me , asked was there something wrong with his wife, that I didn't choose to fly over his house , sometimes you just can't do right from doing wrong.

Yeah too much gravitational pull don't want lose drone
2017-10-13
Use props
Titanbot 4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2485909 ft
United States

That was a good thread, wanted to read more.
2017-10-13
Use props
Eric ncfwa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322526 ft
Australia

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-13 06:18

Yes I saw a lot of footage on the news definitely shot from privately owned drones, but you never hear about it, how many drones have been used in successful search & rescue incidents? it's likely you see the footage but you never hear about it. In relation to my last post I did see some time ago a story on the use of drones here in Western Australia, surf life saving clubs were going to use them for spotting sharks at the beach in summer, & some were going to have floatation devices attached that could be dropped to swimmers in difficulty, very quick response time & heaps cheaper than helicopters of fixed wing aircraft.
I just wonder how many people would have a negative reaction to these drones.

Eric
2017-10-13
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I think half the stigma comes from military footage and movies from drones that do have the capability to see fine detail from a distance unfortunately this is something we just have to accept
2017-10-13
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
United Kingdom

Tv shows don’t help when they start with a blurry picture, use magic software and it’s suddenly pin sharp and they can see every single detail. I know they are only for entertainment but they give people a false perception of what’s possible.
2017-10-14
Use props
Rigger73
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378478 ft
Netherlands

Dublinphantom Posted at 2017-10-13 06:55

I'm offshore at the moment - but when I get back, I'll be visiting Connemara - hoping for a clear - not too windy day at the 12 Pines.  I'll also be visiting Dublin (again!!!  I live in the North), so hopefully get some shots in the Wicklow mountains too.

I was at the 12 Pines in March - and my DSLR batteries were flat - absolutely gutted.  So this time I'll have the P4P as well - although I did notice there was a nice house not far from the lough side.  Hopefully you're not talking about the same place.
2017-10-14
Use props
Certified Drone
lvl.1

United States

just be as courteous as possible and if things escalate then call the police.... you can show them your flight records and pics to prove your side
2017-10-14
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2017-10-13 16:54
I think half the stigma comes from military footage and movies from drones that do have the capability to see fine detail from a distance unfortunately this is something we just have to accept

Totally agree... not true, but perception is everything...
2017-10-16
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

AlanHd Posted at 2017-10-14 00:47
Tv shows don’t help when they start with a blurry picture, use magic software and it’s suddenly pin sharp and they can see every single detail. I know they are only for entertainment but they give people a false perception of what’s possible.

I KNOW!  I can't count the shows that take an 512k picture and zoom in on the mystery face across the street..... Riiiiiiiight.
2017-10-16
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-10-14 13:30
I'm offshore at the moment - but when I get back, I'll be visiting Connemara - hoping for a clear - not too windy day at the 12 Pines.  I'll also be visiting Dublin (again!!!  I live in the North), so hopefully get some shots in the Wicklow mountains too.

I was at the 12 Pines in March - and my DSLR batteries were flat - absolutely gutted.  So this time I'll have the P4P as well - although I did notice there was a nice house not far from the lough side.  Hopefully you're not talking about the same place.

My wife and I visited Gwindoloch several years ago. Ancient!  Truly beautiful landscapes there!
2017-10-16
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Certified Drone Posted at 2017-10-14 17:13
just be as courteous as possible and if things escalate then call the police.... you can show them your flight records and pics to prove your side

I agree... but once, when working with an irate neighbor she screamed, "I don't want to see your stupid logs!"    Sigh.... Ok...
2017-10-16
Use props
Dublinphantom
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-10-14 13:30

The nice house in the 12 pins? There is a huge mansion up there beside a big lake which a helicopter occasionally flies into.
I was talking about in Clifden town down past the harbour.. there is a stretch of water. looks like a lake but its actually sea water. I agree connemara is a lovely area for flying
2017-10-17
Use props
TJH
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50830 ft
United States

I've spent the last 2 weeks on Maui and the the big island of Hawaii. Since there are tourists and locals, you tend to gather friends as one fly's. Questions like; can you see what the drone sees, how high can it fly, how long, etc. Since I was using a P4P with a iPad mini with a home made shade, I invited them to see what I was seeing. Once they see all the info it provides with the video while flying and you ensure them your a licensed drone pilot, they feel comfortable talking to you and they want to learn more about drones. I have been fortunate so far that I have not had any problems flying the bird. When in question, will first ask if they mind if I fly, its never been a problem with that either.
2017-10-17
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

TJH Posted at 2017-10-17 12:39
I've spent the last 2 weeks on Maui and the the big island of Hawaii. Since there are tourists and locals, you tend to gather friends as one fly's. Questions like; can you see what the drone sees, how high can it fly, how long, etc. Since I was using a P4P with a iPad mini with a home made shade, I invited them to see what I was seeing. Once they see all the info it provides with the video while flying and you ensure them your a licensed drone pilot, they feel comfortable talking to you and they want to learn more about drones. I have been fortunate so far that I have not had any problems flying the bird. When in question, will first ask if they mind if I fly, its never been a problem with that either.

Good for you.  I have had crazy folks screaming at me.  Those that have been more relaxed are always welcome....
2017-10-17
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

As pilots, we should take a lesson from mountain bikers.  When those bikes first came out, hikers HATED them and threatened (and tried) to get laws passed outlawing those bikes.  Well, the bikers all got religion and became the most courteous sports people in the parks (at least here in California).  We need to do the same.  Don't fly over people, their property, their cars, and if they complain, try to defuse and leave.   Try to be courteous in all encounters with non-pilots - even if yelled at.
2017-10-17
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2017-10-17 15:51
As pilots, we should take a lesson from mountain bikers.  When those bikes first came out, hikers HATED them and threatened (and tried) to get laws passed outlawing those bikes.  Well, the bikers all got religion and became the most courteous sports people in the parks (at least here in California).  We need to do the same.  Don't fly over people, their property, their cars, and if they complain, try to defuse and leave.   Try to be courteous in all encounters with non-pilots - even if yelled at.

I couldn't agree more.... I hope that is the way it goes!
2017-10-19
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-10-19 11:17
I couldn't agree more.... I hope that is the way it goes!

Thanks for your note.  Well, however, something even worse happened again here in California.  I suspect you've read about the HUGE fires going on in what we call "wine country" - the Napa valley-  where thousands of homes were lost to huge fires in the last week.  A few days ago, another dangerous hillside fire broke out just to the west of my home in San Jose.  In the last two days, AT BOTH FIRES, drone operators were flying in the area which resulted in suppression aircraft being grounded for over an hour and unable to drop retardant.  One pilot was caught, the other was not.  We pilots have GOT to find a way to educate others to NEVER fly around places where emergency aircraft are working.
2017-10-19
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules