Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Poll] Do You Clean Your Drone? If so, How...
123Next >
5536 109 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

After reading the manual for the P4P, I noticed a distinct lack of guidance for care and cleaning of the drone, RC, and related items.  Even though they mentioned several times that one should keep the sensors clean, but not explaining how that should be done.  Neither did they mention the other obvious areas like the camera lens, plastics, and moving parts.  However, one can assume that you should not use caustic solutions and abrasive materials of any kind.  Obvious enough, however, what do you use?  Mild soap and water is the most likely approach, however, even water is bad for many of the components of these systems.  I searched the forum, the best I could, and I mostly found results where folks discussed cleaning their lenses, which is important.  In this case, I think you should use quality camera cleaning materials and lens cleaning solutions that are safe for coated lenses.

After you answer the 'Poll' question, please comment below and share how you clean, what you clean, and the materials you use.
Survey question:
Do you clean your Drone, RC, and lens?
Single SelectVote, Total 102 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

22.55% (23)
3.92% (4)
52.94% (54)
9.80% (10)
10.78% (11)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-8-29
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I fly mine to the clouds so it gets a nice mist wash from the props. Come's back spanking clean.

2017-8-29
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

For cleaning the lens, I have a lens cleaning solution and cloth.  For the main body and rotors, I use a dry paper towel to wipe off the worst of everything, employing the lens cleaning materials as a supplement.
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-8-29 19:05
I fly mine to the clouds so it gets a nice mist wash from the props. Come's back spanking clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXD1_rVlXfg

Never thought of that technique...
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

TN Lone Wolf Posted at 2017-8-29 19:06
For cleaning the lens, I have a lens cleaning solution and cloth.  For the main body and rotors, I use a dry paper towel to wipe off the worst of everything, employing the lens cleaning materials as a supplement.

Can I ask what is the brand of your lens solution?  I take it that it has no negative effect on your UAV body?
2017-8-29
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286411 ft

United States

I'm have P3p  and standard  NOT P4
At least every other or second flight.

I clean my bird cosmetically on shell , props and landing gear with hard core clorox spray and paper towels and follow with a wet cloth or towel to dilute the harshness. I usually run props in sink afterwards as they may have grass, leaves and good ole ground bugs as I'm in the south.
Furthermore around arm shell vent holes I use an old tooth brush to pluck out rather than just go at it with no rhyme or reason.
Anything else its reduced/regulated compressed air. You can use keyboard cleaner for a more safe approach. I DON'T recommend compressed air unless you know what your doing.
2017-8-29
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-29 19:27
Can I ask what is the brand of your lens solution?  I take it that it has no negative effect on your UAV body?

One is the cleaning solution they gave out at my optometrist's office along with my glasses, while another is ScreenDr. Professional screen cleaning solution.  I haven't noticed any issues on either the main body or camera lens with either.
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-29 19:18
I clean my Phantoms with Formula 409 lightly sprayed on a microfiber cloth or paper towel when they begin to show dirt.  Same for the controllers.  I clean lenses only when necessary using a dry lens cleaning pen.  In my experience lens cleaning is normally only needed for night flights.  I've never cleaned the OA sensors & avoid touching them when cleaning the shell.

409?  You use full strength, and no impact?  Why only a "dry" lens pen?  
Night flights...bugs?  These things go fast enough that bugs get smooshed on the lens......nice!
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Lectro88 Posted at 2017-8-29 19:32
I'm have P3p  and standard  NOT P4
At least every other or second flight.

So you have had no negative impacts using full strength Clorox on the plastics or anything?  Would never have guessed that...
Not sure I get your point about "regulated compressed air" versus "compressed air" I'm unfamiliar?
Good Points with the other techniques you use
Thanks
2017-8-29
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

I am using the same as I do for my DSLRs: a damp (not wet) cloth for the shell and props, and Eclipse Optic Lens Cleaning Fluid for the lens (although I've only does that once because it seems to keep itself much cleaner than I first expected... all the bugs seem to be on the props and shell rather than the lens). I will also run the props under cold water while wiping them if they're particularly dirty or the bugs/gunk is particularly sticky. For really, really dirty situations I've used on my DSLR bodies a very dilute dishwashing liquid in water and dipping the cleaning cloth in that (then wring it out so it's only damp) has never caused any damage so far as I can see (been doing this on the DSLRs for over 15 years now).

This is a good poll and I may very well change my current approach depending on what's said in the replies.
2017-8-29
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes.  I use compressed air and Windex on the props.
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-8-29 20:04
I am using the same as I do for my DSLRs: a damp (not wet) cloth for the shell and props, and Eclipse Optic Lens Cleaning Fluid for the lens (although I've only does that once because it seems to keep itself much cleaner than I first expected... all the bugs seem to be on the props and shell rather than the lens). I will also run the props under cold water while wiping them if they're particularly dirty or the bugs/gunk is particularly sticky. For really, really dirty situations I've used on my DSLR bodies a very dilute dishwashing liquid in water and dipping the cleaning cloth in that (then wring it out so it's only damp) has never caused any damage so far as I can see (been doing this on the DSLRs for over 15 years now).

This is a good poll and I may very well change my current approach depending on what's said in the replies.

Sounds like you have some good techniques yourself...I agree hope we learn some good stuff
Thanks
2017-8-29
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286411 ft

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-29 19:53
So you have had no negative impacts using full strength Clorox on the plastics or anything?  Would never have guessed that...
Not sure I get your point about "regulated compressed air" versus "compressed air" I'm unfamiliar?
Good Points with the other techniques you use

Its clorox spray...  like 409 and windex I figure its diluted in some kind of way, And if not its plastic. I wash my hands and dishes in it if the mood strikes me. LoL. but  like I said I follow with wet water towels later. and its been no worries. For me.

Regulated compressed air is...  A devise that takes 150 psi air and reduces it to the  amount you choose where it be 5 psi or 149 psi from the supplied pressure.
This kind of thing is used with water and steam and in my situation I use an air dryer that removes moisture. the mechanics here will know what I'm talking about.
As I said earlier... I don't recommend this. But I grew up with it.
Pick up a can of computor keyboard cleaner and thats probabaly a safer start for the untrained hands.
if your curious.
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-29 20:10
Formula 409 is a household spray cleaner that's been around for years.  I use it full strength.  Does a great job keeping the shell & RC clean with no harmful effect to the plastic.  The lens issue at night is even a slightly dirty lens makes streetlights appear fuzzy & causes halos.  During daylight flight a lightly fouled lens isn't noticeable.  The dry lens pen has a brush on one end & a small, round, treated pad on the other end.  This works especially well on the small recessed lens of the P3 Standard & the Mavic.  I have one in every bird's flight bag.

Curios about only using dry, you don't believe in using a lens cleaner?  Or is it concerns about lenses being coated?
Thanks
2017-8-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Clean your "Baby" with baby wipes. ;-)

I use lens tissues and mild Lens cleaner, or a drop of Iso' on a Q-Tip.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-29
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mild soapy water (Luke warm), using a slightly dampened cloth for the shell. The UV filter  (or ND) keeps the camera lens protected, usually to clean the front of the filter I use just a 'Huff ' of breath and a gentle wipe with a lens cloth.
2017-8-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I take my p4p in the bubble bath with me!!
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-30 03:53
I take my p4p in the bubble bath with me!!

Do you use the Mr Bubbles or the Batman one???
2017-8-30
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I use a household wet wipe type cleaner on the body, mostly to remove the dead flies, but also adds a little polish to the surface. The lens is cleared witht eh same cloth I used to use on my DSLR.
2017-8-30
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I used to just let the dog lick it off, till one day he started before the props stopped.  Now he can't even lap up water with half a tongue.
2017-8-30
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380121 ft
Canada

Hand sanitizer on the body shell with a microfiber cloth. Usually after a few flights or as needed if bugs/dirt get on the shell.
Windex microfiber on lens, i have a modified gimbal lock that has the lens area open so i can clean it with the lock in place and not put too much stress on the gimbal arm.

Great idea for a poll.
2017-8-30
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-30 03:59
Do you use the Mr Bubbles or the Batman one???

Mr bubbles and I also have bath time crayons....
2017-8-30
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

I use a product called Blow Off on the body.  I spray it on a soft cloth and use it to wipe down the shell.  I use lens cleaning stuff for the lenses.  I never, ever spray ANYTHING directly on the Phantom, or any other electronics.  The Blow Off is an electronics cleaner that is anti static and dust repellant and provides a nice, light shine to the finish.
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-30 04:32
I used to just let the dog lick it off, till one day he started before the props stopped.  Now he can't even lap up water with half a tongue.

Alabama...Dude...when I stop laughing...seriously, what do you do or not re cleaning?

Hope your vet bill was cheap...
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Linuxglobal Posted at 2017-8-30 04:33
Hand sanitizer on the body shell with a microfiber cloth. Usually after a few flights or as needed if bugs/dirt get on the shell.
Windex microfiber on lens, i have a modified gimbal lock that has the lens area open so i can clean it with the lock in place and not put too much stress on the gimbal arm.

Linuxglobal
Good ideas...
So the alcohol in the sanitizer does not have any negative effects on the plastic parts?
Your gimbal technique sounds like a good idea.  Where did you get this modified item, make it yourself or an aftermarket item?  If you bought, please share where and price?
Thanks
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-8-30 07:18
I use a product called Blow Off on the body.  I spray it on a soft cloth and use it to wipe down the shell.  I use lens cleaning stuff for the lenses.  I never, ever spray ANYTHING directly on the Phantom, or any other electronics.  The Blow Off is an electronics cleaner that is anti static and dust repellant and provides a nice, light shine to the finish.

Kneepuck
Good deal, I read up on "Blow Off" seems like a good product, I found it on Amazon but not sure I can get it locally, I'll have to check and see.
I think your idea about not putting anything on directly is wise, lots of nooks and crags that fluids/product can seep in to.
Thanks
2017-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-8-29 19:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXD1_rVlXfg

LOL.
That is a beautiful way to get your drone clean
2017-8-30
Use props
Knowles Patrick
lvl.1
Flight distance : 123199 ft

United States

I never looked into it, but I use a household glass cleaner (windex) sprayed on a microfiber cloth. Same on lens. I live in the southern region of Louisiana swampland. My p4p gets muddy most times out, I do my best to avoid it, but living here it's a fact of life.
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Knowles Patrick Posted at 2017-8-30 10:42
I never looked into it, but I use a household glass cleaner (windex) sprayed on a microfiber cloth. Same on lens. I live in the southern region of Louisiana swampland. My p4p gets muddy most times out, I do my best to avoid it, but living here it's a fact of life.

Patrick,
Understood, yeah you likely would see a lot of that in your neck of the swamp.  I spent 4 year in the Bossier area, so I know a little of what you speak.
So, you are not seeing any ill effects from using this product on your aircraft?
Thanks
2017-8-30
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

Huggie baby wipes on the body and props to remove bug splat, works well for me, Zeiss lens wipes for the camera only when needed.
2017-8-30
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i use damp soft cotton cloth.
2017-8-30
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hand-warmed water with dish soap on a cloth easily removes the remains of insects on the frame and props after a flight. The lens of the camera is cleaned with special fluid intended for spectacles/optics the few times a cleansing is required. We keep the chemical stock at a minimum here in the house and thus save money - and time.   

Regards Leif.
2017-8-30
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Landbo Posted at 2017-8-30 21:08
Hand-warmed water with dish soap on a cloth easily removes the remains of insects on the frame and props after a flight. The lens of the camera is cleaned with special fluid intended for spectacles/optics the few times a cleansing is required. We keep the chemical stock at a minimum here in the house and thus save money - and time.   

Regards Leif.

How long does it take you to hand warm the water?
2017-8-30
Use props
Landbo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

CraigR Posted at 2017-8-30 21:45
How long does it take you to hand warm the water?

Not long time have a high metabolism and is at the same time a hard-working person.  

Regards Leif.
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Landbo Posted at 2017-8-30 21:08

Regards Leif.

Very good, I'm all for saving money!
2017-8-30
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Lens cleaner & micro cloth. If real keen wipe the propellers with a damp cloth. But if you clean your drone the next step will be washing the car, then the windows...
2017-9-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Never fly in the rain. That will only clean your wallet out. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-2
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

i use a dishwasher
2017-9-3
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

I do the dishwasher
2017-9-3
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

On one of my first flights, just a column flight straight up for about a minute, then straight down, only about 75 ft up.  When I landed I was horrified by the carnage.  I don't know what kind of bugs have red guts, but apparently I flew up into a swarm of them.  There were literally hundreds of little splashes of red goo and bug parts all over the props and upper casing.  It was like a grotesque magic trick.  Clean one second, totally painted with bug guts the next.  Windex took care of me on that one.
2017-9-3
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules