Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FAA 107 waiver... how long does it take?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

I applied for a 107 waiver last month and the FAA advised they would get back with in a week to verify if my request was approved.  Has anybody else applied for any 107 waivers, and if so, how long did it take to get a reply?  
2017-8-30
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

Interested in the responses as well, being a soon-to-be Part 107 holder.

If you don't mind me asking, which rule did you request to have waived?
2017-8-30
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

TN Lone Wolf Posted at 2017-8-30 08:49
Interested in the responses as well, being a soon-to-be Part 107 holder.

If you don't mind me asking, which rule did you request to have waived?

I requested three exemptions:
1.  to fly above 400ft
2.  to fly at night
3.  to fly under electronic navigation and onboard camera view (not within sight)

I don't live in a big city, and the little airports that are nearby are over 10 miles away.  Hoping they respond positively to my request.
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-30 10:35
I requested three exemptions:
1.  to fly above 400ft
2.  to fly at night

Interesting, from what I've seen on YouTube and read about otherwise I'd say you have a good chance of getting the first two, I would be surprised if they granted the 3rd but maybe so.
None of those folks said how long it would take but would think in any government agency a week is optimistic.  Likely at least a month.
Curious, did you have to supply a package for approval, supplying pictures, maps, certifying docs, purchase & show proof of strobe lights, etc.?  I've heard that that is what they ask for for these waivers.  Did you specify a timeframe, if not expect to get one like 90 days or something along that line.
Come back and update us on what happens, please?
2017-8-30
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-30 11:31
Interesting, from what I've seen on YouTube and read about otherwise I'd say you have a good chance of getting the first two, I would be surprised if they granted the 3rd but maybe so.
None of those folks said how long it would take but would think in any government agency a week is optimistic.  Likely at least a month.
Curious, did you have to supply a package for approval, supplying pictures, maps, certifying docs, purchase & show proof of strobe lights, etc.?  I've heard that that is what they ask for for these waivers.  Did you specify a timeframe, if not expect to get one like 90 days or something along that line.

The FAA has a page in which you can apply for a 107 waiver for free.  I did explain my reasoning as co-owner of a film production company using it for limited time and commercial use.  Other than a brief explanation of why I needed these three, the application form didn't ask for anything else.
2017-8-30
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-30 11:31

As for flying beyond the scope of line of sight, the FAA does allow exceptions.  Two of the credentials we have on our P4P, which is a GPS calibrated navigational chart, and a forward view camera that allows us to see "pilot's view" of the craft.  
2017-8-30
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-30 11:57
As for flying beyond the scope of line of sight, the FAA does allow exceptions.  Two of the credentials we have on our P4P, which is a GPS calibrated navigational chart, and a forward view camera that allows us to see "pilot's view" of the craft.

By all means keep us posted...plz
2017-8-30
Use props
pwr406
lvl.2
Flight distance : 344600 ft
United States

I submitted a waiver request on 7/4/17 to fly in controlled airspace. I live within 5 miles of an airport and have a few helipads around me as well. I listed that I would stay at 100' AGL or less. I got an email from the FAA on 8/10/17 that said:
"Thank you for submitting an Airspace Authorization request to the Federal Aviation Administration. This email is in reference to the application submitted on 7/4/2017 in the vicinity of KMSO."
I also got a request number but that was it...Haven't heard anything since.  We are dealing with an insane amount of forest fires here though and the air traffic has been nuts. I'm hoping I will get the authorization once things calm down....
2017-8-30
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

pwr406 Posted at 2017-8-30 13:12
I submitted a waiver request on 7/4/17 to fly in controlled airspace. I live within 5 miles of an airport and have a few helipads around me as well. I listed that I would stay at 100' AGL or less. I got an email from the FAA on 8/10/17 that said:
"Thank you for submitting an Airspace Authorization request to the Federal Aviation Administration. This email is in reference to the application submitted on 7/4/2017 in the vicinity of KMSO."
I also got a request number but that was it...Haven't heard anything since.  We are dealing with an insane amount of forest fires here though and the air traffic has been nuts. I'm hoping I will get the authorization once things calm down....

thats just the confirmation of your request... thats how far I've gotten.  Thank you for sharing.
2017-8-30
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have 3, took me 90 days ..
2017-8-31
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

UAVTom Posted at 2017-8-31 03:18
I have 3, took me 90 days ..

WOW, thank you for sharing. I guess you can say good things do come to those who wait.  But since the application is free, you can't really complain.
2017-8-31
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-31 09:30
WOW, thank you for sharing. I guess you can say good things do come to those who wait.  But since the application is free, you can't really complain.

True, True
2017-9-11
Use props
pwr406
lvl.2
United States

Still waiting on my authorization....
2017-9-25
Use props
QiiFlight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

I applied for two airspace authorizations 45 days ago, still no word other than that they received the request. It took 3 months for my night waiver to come through.
2017-9-25
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

QiiFlight Posted at 2017-9-25 13:56
I applied for two airspace authorizations 45 days ago, still no word other than that they received the request. It took 3 months for my night waiver to come through.

Mine got rejected saying I didn't give enough description on how the flight would be "safe".  Ugh... There's got to be a cheat sheet for saying the right things to these guys when you know you can fly with the same cockpit view as a person in the sky itself.
What if DJI offered a transponder accessory that would show up on radar and identify your craft like they have for ships and airplanes?  Then again, they can't even shut off the "recommended;  how to make your first comment" pop up.  I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait for the Phantom 5 and see what advances.
2017-10-1
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-10-1 11:34
What if DJI offered a transponder accessory that would show up on radar  and identify your craft like they have for ships and airplanes?

For big brother reasons, or safety?  It wouldn't help all that much for safety.  It would prevent collisions with TCAS-equipped aircraft (assuming this device of yours would have mode C), but small planes don't have TCAS.  And showing up on controller's screen won't help any of the VFR guys who aren't talking to anyone.  Nor even IFR traffic that gets switched over to the CTAF frequency... the exact time when the collision risk would be greatest because of the altitudes and indian airspace involved.

I'm sure you meant all that in jest; I'm just thinking aloud...
2017-10-1
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-10-1 11:34
Mine got rejected saying I didn't give enough description on how the flight would be "safe".  Ugh... There's got to be a cheat sheet for saying the right things to these guys when you know you can fly with the same cockpit view as a person in the sky itself.
What if DJI offered a transponder accessory that would show up on radar and identify your craft like they have for ships and airplanes?  Then again, they can't even shut off the "recommended;  how to make your first comment" pop up.  I guess we'll just have to be patient and wait for the Phantom 5 and see what advances.

As I noted in my previous post this thread, everything I've ever seen about applying for these is you need to provide proof of having safety gear and detailed explanations of your plan to include documentation, maps, and certified permissions as required.  

I doubt very seriously P5 or even the Inspire series are ever gonna have IFF placed on them, the battery drain would be very high.  Also, I'd take umbrage with having the same view as a pilot, in my fairly extensive experience to date with that view, nothing I've seen thus far in UAV flying compares to what a phantom or even an inspire can do and inspire has two cameras or it can.
I'm sure if you can supply them with the details they need you'll get the waivers, as others have.
2017-10-1
Use props
pwr406
lvl.2
United States

Update on my authorization request....I reached out to the local FSDO office and they were able to look into my request for me. I was told that they are currently 5 months out on processing requests and to check back in if I don't see anything by the end of November. I'm pretty disappointed because I submitted this all the way back in July and was hoping to be able to do some flights around my local area this fall while the leafs are turning. I also asked to see if I would have to submit a brand new authorization request if this one was denied for some reason.
2017-10-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules