Battery Error
1664 25 2017-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4b1c55a1
lvl.1
Ireland

One of my batteries is displaying a battery error message. Battery is ca 2 months old and only charged 7 times. Please help? Have fully discharged and recharged and that didnt assist.
fullsizeoutput_1722.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1722.jpeg
2017-8-30
Use props
fans4b1c55a1
lvl.1
Ireland

Another screenshot of error message
fullsizeoutput_1720.jpeg
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The voltage difference of each battery exceeds 0.1V, that is abnormal. Please try to fully discharge and charge the battery to see will it recover.
If it still persists, when did you purchase the battery? I suggest sending it back and we will take care of it if it is in warranty period.
2017-8-30
Use props
fans4b1c55a1
lvl.1
Ireland

Thanks. Just tried to send a pm not sure successfully. Have fully discharged and recharged and error remains. Battery was purchased mid-June. Where should I send it to to get a replacement?
2017-8-31
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

fans4b1c55a1 Posted at 2017-8-31 11:24
Thanks. Just tried to send a pm not sure successfully. Have fully discharged and recharged and error remains. Battery was purchased mid-June. Where should I send it to to get a replacement?

Did you let the drone sit on the ground spinning it's props untill it switched itselfe off?
2017-8-31
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-8-31 11:23
Did you let the drone sit on the ground spinning it's props untill it switched itselfe off?

I used to do this, until I considered the unnecessary wear and tear on the motors, then I remembered the battery adapter (power bank) that turns the mavic battery into a power source; I charge my other devices to drain the mavic batteries now.  If you didn't buy the 'fly more' combo (in which this adapter is included), you might consider buying it separately.  Here.
2017-8-31
Use props
fans4b1c55a1
lvl.1
Ireland

just left the drone turned on (but not with props spinning) until battery exhausted.
2017-8-31
Use props
fans4b1c55a1
lvl.1
Ireland

just left the drone turned on (but not with props spinning) until battery exhausted.
2017-8-31
Use props
fans4b1c55a1
lvl.1
Ireland

exhausted battery by just leaving the drone turned on - but not with props spinning.
2017-8-31
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Norway

fans4b1c55a1 Posted at 2017-8-31 11:38

I see.
One more thing to try might be to let the battery discharge itself setting the battery discharge option to 1 day.
Let it sit for two days. Don't press the button, that resets the count.
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Did that one guy just say wear and tear on the motors LOL dude they are brushless there is no such thing as wear and tear... And to the Op you need a new battery
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Do you guys really feel that discharging a lipo battery all the way to 0% is healthy for it? I would never do that and I don't think that battery is coming back normally you are supposed to follow the 80/20 rule never deplete more than 20%
2017-8-31
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-8-31 13:36
Did that one guy just say wear and tear on the motors LOL dude they are brushless there is no such thing as wear and tear... And to the Op you need a new battery

So, I can expect that all 4 of my motors will work forever regardless of use?  Man, these motors must be better than I thought!  Consider me educated and thank you!
2017-8-31
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-8-31 13:35
Do you guys really feel that discharging a lipo battery all the way to 0% is healthy for it? I would never do that and I don't think that battery is coming back normally you are supposed to follow the 80/20 rule never deplete more than 20%

What, in your definition, is 80% or 20%?
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Yes Brushless motors do last forever like my helicopters the only thing I will change out every few years is the two bearings on the shaft. Now going back to brushed motors they do wear out because they use brushes
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

As far as LiPO batteries when I first started flying my helicopters back in the day I always used to deplete the batteries and that would make my batteries not last a very long time I will get crappy performance then I started reading into how lipo technology works and follow this rule ever since now my batteries last forever. Two enemies of a lipo battery is heat and over discharge. So you fly 80% of your battery if you think about it this is why the mavic pro and all other drones have a battery warning at 25 to 30%yes you could take it down to 10% but that is not good. Basically it's telling you land now ...so back to what I was saying you fly 80% you will put in 80% back on the charger always leave 20% Headroom. Following these rules at guarantee you will get l longevity out of your batteries
2017-8-31
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-8-31 14:11
As far as LiPO batteries when I first started flying my helicopters back in the day I always used to deplete the batteries and that would make my batteries not last a very long time I will get crappy performance then I started reading into how lipo technology works and follow this rule ever since now my batteries last forever. Two enemies of a lipo battery is heat and over discharge. So you fly 80% of your battery if you think about it this is why the mavic pro and all other drones have a battery warning at 25 to 30%yes you could take it down to 10% but that is not good. Basically it's telling you land now ...so back to what I was saying you fly 80% you will put in 80% back on the charger always leave 20% Headroom. Following these rules at guarantee you will get l longevity out of your batteries

With all due respect, you sound like you've been at this rodeo a lot longer than I have.  The point of my question was not to request the logic, for which almost every point your are spot on, except for 'what do you consider 80 or 20 percent?'  There IS a definition for that and I don't believe DJI's battery-level indication is a true representation of the actual definition, as defined in this resource which basically states that 0% = 3V.  0% in the mavic is nowhere near 3V, it's well above that, closer to 3.5V, at least in my test.
2017-8-31
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Norway

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-8-31 13:35

When you discharge the Mavic battery to 0% there is still some juice left. The "intellegence" of the battery stops you from depleting it so far that it takes damage.

2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

With these batteries you would want to be a 3.68 volts yes you are right I think they are more conservative especially with the app and how it judges the batteries calculation I am not sure I would still not push it much past 20%
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Stiangel but how much are we talking about? If you guys want to find out cool I won't be doing this these batteries are expensive!
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
United States

Also never leave your LiPO batteries charged for a long time I never do it for more than 2 days storage charge for me has always been 3.75 to 3.80 volts what that translates to in the app I'm not sure like what percentage the battery would be but those are the rules I always follow
2017-8-31
Use props
StianGel
Second Officer
Norway

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-8-31 14:29
Stiangel but how much are we talking about? If you guys want to find out cool I won't be doing this these batteries are expensive!

I am not sure, but i trust Drone Valley.
I do however agree that the DJI batteries are expensive. But i suppose that many end users dont care to learn about proper battery care.
My other LiPo batteries is always stored @ the proper voltage.

Would have liked to see a storage charge mode on DJI's chargers or batteries. Something like pushing the button to enable storage charge.
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Had received your PM, please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-9-1
Use props
fans4b1c55a1
lvl.1
Ireland

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-1 04:17
Had received your PM, please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

Thanks Thor - I have tried to use that link but when I get to the part of inserting my contact details I am getting stuck. I am based in Ireland and it is seeking a "State" in one of the dropdown menus. There are no options showing in that menu, and I can't proceed to the next page.
Is there an alternative option where you can provide me with a case number and verification code?
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans4b1c55a1 Posted at 2017-9-1 05:54
Thanks Thor - I have tried to use that link but when I get to the part of inserting my contact details I am getting stuck. I am based in Ireland and it is seeking a "State" in one of the dropdown menus. There are no options showing in that menu, and I can't proceed to the next page.
Is there an alternative option where you can provide me with a case number and verification code?

Sorry for the late reply, please contact our support team for your case and they will help you. Please send an email to support.eu@dji.com. Thank you.
2017-9-3
Use props
Dragon Fighter
New
Flight distance : 134386 ft
Argentina

Tombolian Posted at 2017-8-31 11:28
I used to do this, until I considered the unnecessary wear and tear on the motors, then I remembered the battery adapter (power bank) that turns the mavic battery into a power source; I charge my other devices to drain the mavic batteries now.  If you didn't buy the 'fly more' combo (in which this adapter is included), you might consider buying it separately.  Here.

I did exactly the same and my battery keep giving me a ERROR.
So frustrating as it has only 4 charges.
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules