IPAD AIR 2 vs BLACK PEARL FLYSIGHT VIDEO COMPARISON
3746 19 2015-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
genettico
lvl.3

United States

Just made this quick video I hope will help anyone considering the Black Pearl and doubt how bright it is and how it would perform against higher end devices such as the IPAD AIR 2.

2015-3-31
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Sure like mine !  In 5.8 ghz so it works also with my phantom 2 and fatshark video tx ... Use the HDMI with my inspire .
2015-3-31
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

have you tried the black pearl with the pilot app? I'd like to see what differences there are if any.
2015-3-31
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

markaguille Posted at 2015-4-1 09:43
have you tried the black pearl with the pilot app? I'd like to see what differences there are if any ...

Im not sure I get what you are asking... Tried it on the HDMI port of TX? yes.... Im not sure how you could use it with the Pilot app... I guess you could add a splitter from whatever mobile device you would be running the app from, but you cannot run the app on the Black Pearl as it is just a monitor with rx built in.
what differences do yo mean?
2015-3-31
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

markaguille Posted at 2015-4-1 09:43
have you tried the black pearl with the pilot app? I'd like to see what differences there are if any ...

They didn't  have the pilot apps OSD turned on in this video, it displays all flight info when switched on,
Altitude , distance , GPS signal , battery level , a floating home point diamond etc. has its own very nice sun shade that works , you can adjust the color , brightness , contrast , and much much more.. has its own built in rechargeable battery pack , built in standard camera tripod mount , fits the ipad mount on the inspires RC controller ,so you can mount the iPad on a tripod .. It also comes with your choice of 5.8ghz or 2.4 ghz receiver for video from a phantom 2 or any other model you run video on , that's why it's got two diversity receivers with antennas and 32 channels which you won't use on the inspire .. The inspires  RC HDMI to the monitors hdmi is all you need , found mine at Dronefly for $229.00 .
Use it also with my phantom 2 with a GoPro .
2015-3-31
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

genettico@hotma Posted at 2015-4-1 10:38
Im not sure I get what you are asking... Tried it on the HDMI port of TX? yes.... Im not sure how  ...

I think he meant the pilot hud display that the app runs to the HDMI out on the RC to the fly sight Black pearls HDMI in ..if you enable the HDMI out and the OSD switch you'll get the pilots hud info around the edges of the screen ! This is for the pilots view !  Also used with glasses or goggles , or with a long enough cable you could just plug into your 55" flatscreen TVs HDMI port ,or  a small 20" ACDC HD tv also works for audience viewing.
2015-3-31
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-1 10:56
They didn't  have the pilot apps OSD turned on in this video, it displays all flight info when swi ...

Ok... MArkaguille.. I get what you are asking now.. I think.. Lol! I have used it with TX and then I went to app to turn on telemetry to show during flight... And for me to see what gimbal camera sees. This way I can have the map on my IPad and the camera view on a larger screen that's not the PIP on the app.. The idea is to have BOTH screens in front of me large!

It works great! As Daver said... For the purpose of the video I did I only played a video from you tube on both the ipad Air 2 and I used a regular IPad that I hooked up with an adaptor from the lighting connection to HDMI and out to the Black Pearl.
I can make a video tomorrow to show the whole setup if you think that will help you out!
2015-3-31
Use props
stephen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19265 ft
United States

Wondering if a 3rd party anti-glare screen protector might help for the iPad. Bunch of products on amazon, might be worth a try.
2015-3-31
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

stephen@hyperna Posted at 2015-4-1 12:38
Wondering if a 3rd party anti-glare screen protector might help for the iPad. Bunch of products on a ...

The ipad air 2 as on video has a built in antiglare... Is not perfect... Definitely something to try..
2015-3-31
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Guernsey

genettico@hotma Posted at 2015-4-1 12:55
The ipad air 2 as on video has a built in antiglare... Is not perfect... Definitely something to t ...

I bought two Galaxy Tab3's, one for pilot, one for cameraman. They are a bit laggy for my liking so I need to replace them. I hear there is no lag on the Black Pearl and from what I see on your video the picture quality is superb. So can I substitute my two Tab3's for two Black Pearls. Could this work or does the Black Pearl need to be plugged into a mobile device, running the app?

Thanks

Mark G
2015-4-1
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Guernsey

Another question if I may, how long does the rechargeable battery last in the Black Pearl?
2015-4-1
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

markaguille Posted at 2015-4-1 16:53
I bought two Galaxy Tab3's, one for pilot, one for cameraman. They are a bit laggy for my liking s ...

Mark,
If you substitute the Galaxies for just the black Pearl you will only get to see what the camera sees and immediate telemetry, like heading distance, altitude etc...(OSD and METRICS) however, you will not be able to see maps, nor anything else the app affords you.. I use the Black Pearl in combination with app running on mobile device. Not just by itself. This way you get the best of both worlds... All the telemetry, and a larger display of what the camera sees. I will make a video today to show it!
The lag will be much less as the image is being delivered to monitor via HDMI and I dont beleive the monitor handles any processing related to the video feed other than to display what the RC sends out, remember though, there is still latency from video feed caused from the light-bridge stream as it is digital not analog feed. So if you are expecting to see a completely LIVE view with no latency there is not a fast enough tablet for that... As the main reason for the latency is on the digital stream from the protocol not the tablets abilities to a big extend.

2015-4-1
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

markaguille Posted at 2015-4-1 16:59
Another question if I may, how long does the rechargeable battery last in the Black Pearl?

On full brightness it lasts a little under 2 1/2 hours... But then again.. They give you this connectors that you can just wire a 3s battery for extra time...

I am yet to run out of battery after using 4 tb48's and 2 tb47's on a single charge!
2015-4-1
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

Mark,This is what you would see on Black Pearl when hooked up to monitor

http://youtu.be/BIBv6PbXUMc
2015-4-1
Use props
genettico
lvl.3

United States

Here is a video and a Diagram I just made to share:

and a video:

INSPIRE 1 HDMI OUTPUT.png
2015-4-1
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good Post but, remember you have a larger display on the iPad Air 2 which increases the glare and you could change your angle with your smartphone and remove your reflection. What you are seeing in your reflection is going to happen with any camera when you are at the right angle. This is a Photographers nightmare. Similar to taking a photo with the sun to your back and the end result is that your shadow is in the final image. It is not an easy task. the other Tablet may be fine, never have looked at it or even heard of it as I am admittedly a hardcore Apple Guy. Thanks for your input my friend, good stuff as usual from you. We appreciate it.
2015-4-1
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>

daver/m Posted at 2015-4-1 10:56
They didn't  have the pilot apps OSD turned on in this video, it displays all flight info when swi ...

Anybody knows how adjust zoom on the black pearl?
2016-5-25
Use props
fjtiger
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1299 ft
United States

stephen@hyperna Posted at 2015-3-31 23:38
Wondering if a 3rd party anti-glare screen protector might help for the iPad. Bunch of products on a ...

I tried multiple ANTI-Glare screen protectors. None of them made a noticeable difference. I was very disappointed. I upgraded phone to an iPhone 6S Plus and works much better just a smaller screen though.
I have an ipad mini 2 ..
2016-5-26
Use props
Ricky Wu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1360719 ft
Hong Kong

great comparision!
2016-6-16
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4