Video editing software ?
2361 14 2017-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

What video editing software do you folks like to use?

Is there a good freeware version and what paid versions are the easist to use?

Thanks
2017-8-31
Use props
Ribeiro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2950994 ft
Brazil

For a free editor I like DaVinci Resolve 14 beta. For paid editors that are easy to use probably Adobe Premiere Pro or Elements depending on what features you need.
2017-8-31
Use props
ro_flyer
First Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Final Cut Pro X for Mac
for free in piratebay.org
2017-8-31
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. Affordable yet powerful. The Adobe subscription seems to expensive to me.
2017-8-31
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

I am still using skypixel - have tried many others but not yet found a suitable one to settle on.
i like that skypixel has onboard music and the editing system is easy to use - it does not have advnced features but i like it.
Have tried many others but just not commming right on any of them - obviously due to some personl inconpetance :-(

Mac users - final cut pro seems the most popular
windows users - the best recomended are Adobe, DaVinci and others - but as i say i am still with skypixel - great starting point especially for on the go editing
2017-8-31
Use props
BernieB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18737 ft
United States

Is MacOS iMovie of any value for a complete newbie?
2017-8-31
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

BernieB Posted at 2017-8-31 07:52
Is MacOS iMovie of any value for a complete newbie?

Dear BernieB,

I don't use iMovie and I think it sucks.
My opinion.
2017-8-31
Use props
BernieB
Second Officer
United States

Wha t sucks the most about iMovie, interface, performance, learning curve or all of the above.  I have iMovie (I find the interface nearly incomprehensible) so I'm trying to decide if there's something else with an easier learning curve for a hobbyist.  Aside from the cost is Final Cut Pro a reasonable choice?
2017-8-31
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Davinci Resolve 12.5. Does the job and is Free...
2017-8-31
Use props
szh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 252139 ft
France

The following professional editing software have free versions (with some limitations):
DaVinci Resolve
Hitfilm
Avid Media Composer
Lightworks (free version limited to 720p output...)

As all professional tools, they are flexible and powerful, but require a significant time investment to learn.  They also promote a more cumbersome workflow than consumer-oriented programs, and tend to lack one-click solutions.  They are designed with the assumption that if you use them, you are going to put in the time to obtain a high-quality result.  For example, in iMovie, all you need to do to stabilize video is tick a checkbox.  It'll do a reasonably good job automatically, whether it's a static or panning shot.  But if something goes wrong, you won't be able to correct it.  In professional software, stabilization is usually a multi-step process, and you probably won't be able to guess how to do it.  You'll need to read the manual or watch some tutorials.  But they offer sufficient control that you'll always be able to obtain the best possible result if you are willing to put in the time.

The following are free, open source, and work on non-Linux systems too:

Shotcut
Openshot

They are more beginner friendly, and more consumer oriented: they require less time to learn.  Unfortunately, I found them to crash too often to be usable (but things may have changed since then). For Linux users, there are several more choices (e.g. kdenlive).

If you want something that is free, reasonably powerful, and fully consumer oriented (easy to learn), the only thing I know of is iMovie.  It's for Mac only.  Adobe Premiere Elements is similar, but costs money.  Generally, you'd have to pay for high-quality software that is also easy to learn and easy to use.

Of the professional tools, I heard that Hitfilm is easier to learn and has more modest system requirements than the others.  Personally, I went with Resolve 14 (beta) because I found it first, and I'm generally happy so far ... but I really miss the ease-of-use of iMovie (and iMovie wasn't exactly trivial to start with either—video editors never are).  The reason why I left iMovie behind is that I needed something that also works on Windows, and (as a Lightroom user) I really wanted more flexibility in colour correction.

2017-8-31
Use props
BernieB
Second Officer
United States

szh--

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I believe you have answered my main question.  I gather from what you wrote, that for the short term, I might as well stick with iMovie to get my feet wet.  Then when I know enough to realize its limitations, I can look for something with more control.
2017-8-31
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

szh Posted at 2017-8-31 09:06
The following professional editing software have free versions (with some limitations):
DaVinci Resolve
Hitfilm

I downloaded Divinci resolve 14 beta and then 12.5 , every time I loaded a video I get a error message about my video card?? I guess its not powerful enough. So I have been using Videopad which sux and cannot use luts. I do have PS cc2017 and LR5. Funny my video card works great with Videopad??
2017-8-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sony Vegas Pro is my choice for now.
Maybe Davinci Resolve some day
2017-8-31
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

I've used Windows Movie Maker to edit (non-drone) footage in the past, but now that I've got a MacBook, I'm going to be trying out iMovie.
2017-8-31
Use props
Dave-r
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1214 ft
United Kingdom

I use iMovie on my ipad pro works well
2017-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules