Just bought Mavic, then Platinum is released.
2212 31 2017-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9f5c5cd1
lvl.1
Greece

Bit miffed with dji, only just bought my Mavic and still getting to grips with it and then they announce the platinum. Is this a special edition or are they phasing out the vanilla mavic? Will they be dropping the price of the first Mavic as the platinum seems to be the price I paid for my Mavic..
2017-8-31
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

That's technology for you...It's just an upgraded model with a few improvements, most notably noise decreased and a few minutes longer flight time. I doubt the price will drop for the regular MP. I bought my MP a few months ago and I'm fine with it as is, except I do want to replace the props with the new ones for sure.
2017-8-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Pumavic Posted at 2017-8-31 11:18
That's technology for you...It's just an upgraded model with a few improvements, most notably noise decreased and a few minutes longer flight time. I doubt the price will drop for the regular MP. I bought my MP a few months ago and I'm fine with it as is, except I do want to replace the props with the new ones for sure.

Don't sweat it, as far as I can see the major difference is in the props being quieter, from looking at the specs most of the important stuff is the same, and for a $ 100 USD difference you get a different color and a little bit of extended flight time.

The new MPP props will fit the MP and be much quieter as well.
2017-8-31
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Sometimes manufacturers offer an exchange period of 2 weeks, if a new model was released, precisely then when a customer bought the old model.
I cannot speak for DJI obviously, but you can ask them nicely whether they are willing to do this for you.
2017-8-31
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I nearly did the same mistake, but I decided to wait due new mavic will come. I've never expected that will happen so quickly
2017-8-31
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, mine is only a few weeks old as well, but honestly... the changes are not significant enough for me to be miffed.  The quieter props fit, and I like the color on the MP better.  
2017-8-31
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mine is fairly new too...but I fully expected this.   Well technically I expected a more significant announcement.   Either way, DJI's history with major firmware problems convinced me that it was better to wait until their product and firmware are mature before jumping in.   Unfortunately, that thought process is doomed to result in a bit of jonesing for the latest and greatest.   I just have to keep reminding myself about the Sparks falling out of the sky.

LP   
2017-8-31
Use props
STRIDE8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1382431 ft
United States

Just buy the platinum props,  3 minutes more flight time is not a deal breaker for me.  Now if they had side and rear collision sensors then that would be something worth looking at
2017-8-31
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, I don't even care much about the absence of sensors, as even on the P4P they work better in theory then actuality.  
2017-8-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What sensors?
2017-8-31
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Exactly
2017-8-31
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Louder can be better. It warns people that there is a drone nearby. Same battery capacity and 3 more minutes flying. This means the new Platinum is consuming less energy. Perhaps colder than current version which makes it less risk of being failed due to high temp. This is just a specilation. Wait until people get them and see how many drop off the sky or fly away.
2017-8-31
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Probably none if it cannot takeoff
2017-8-31
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

STRIDE8 Posted at 2017-8-31 12:38
Just buy the platinum props,  3 minutes more flight time is not a deal breaker for me.  Now if they had side and rear collision sensors then that would be something worth looking at

" Now if they had side and rear collision sensors then that would be something worth looking at"

ditto !

2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi all, thanks for the attention to the new release. Mavic Pro Platinum improves its ESC and propellers which optimize the fly time and noise. The propellers can also be applied to Mavic Pro. You can change the propellers if you are interested in it, but please kindly note that you need to run the latest firmware with the drone. We don't have any news about the phasing out of Mavic Pro. Thanks again for your support to DJI. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We would love to help.
2017-8-31
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Yep, looks like just a sort of Q-tip prop design - that's it.
2017-8-31
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

You are NOT missing much so stop crying!
2017-8-31
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-31 12:06
Sometimes manufacturers offer an exchange period of 2 weeks, if a new model was released, precisely then when a customer bought the old model.
I cannot speak for DJI obviously, but you can ask them nicely whether they are willing to do this for you.

DJI aren’t Apple, they don’t offer that.
2017-8-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

nothing worthwhile in the new mavic pro plat version.

plat version has a ESC no longer uses square waves and now uses sinewaves.. that wont improve much on its own, mostly going to change how it sounds..  

3 changes that have happened:

new color

new props (compatible with current mavic pro as well)

new ESC (mostly to make the mavic less loud)

-------------------
30 minutes of runtime is only 3 minute increase in runtime.. 3 minutes is nothing for the mavic pro.  infact i bet the new props alone in same conditions DJi uses for testing will improve existing runtime by 1-3 minutes since they appear slightly more efficiently chopping the air.

where the new mavic pro makes the most sense is for people looking to buy a mavic pro still and havent purchased one yet..  im specially not upset because that silver color is terrible color to use, it will wear and rub off unevenly overtime and look beat up more then it really is and degrade resale value ...  
2017-8-31
Use props
fans9f5c5cd1
lvl.1
Greece

Thanks for the responses, all valid points!
2017-8-31
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Buy an additional battery. You're saving 20 bucks over the Platinum price and you're gaining 27 minutes of flight time instead of 3.
2017-8-31
Use props
FlyingLocksmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154206 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-31 19:06
Hi all, thanks for the attention to the new release. Mavic Pro Platinum improves its ESC and propellers which optimize the fly time and noise. The propellers can also be applied to Mavic Pro. You can change the propellers if you are interested in it, but please kindly note that you need to run the latest firmware with the drone. We don't have any news about the phasing out of Mavic Pro. Thanks again for your support to DJI. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us. We would love to help.

Why do you have to change the firmware to put these props on?
2017-8-31
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-8-31 20:48
DJI aren’t Apple, they don’t offer that.

Are you a legal spokesperson for DJI?
2017-9-1
Use props
MAVICDLNM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-1 01:28
Are you a legal spokesperson for DJI?

You don’t need any spokesperson for DJI, as the answer is clear know.
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Fred
lvl.1
Flight distance : 336194 ft
United States

I just bought the Mavic Pro as well, a week ago and was going to exchange it but after giving it more thought I will keep it and wait for the next version which hopefully will have side and rear sensors and a better camera.
2017-9-1
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-9-1 02:14
You don’t need any spokesperson for DJI, as the answer is clear know.

Which answer is clear?
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

FlyingLocksmith Posted at 2017-8-31 23:39
Why do you have to change the firmware to put these props on?

Our engineers had tested it and confirmed that it needs to upgrade to the latest firmware to ensure the stability of flight.
2017-9-1
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I really don't care about the silver upgrade. I am ok with my grey one!
2017-9-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-31 11:20
Don't sweat it, as far as I can see the major difference is in the props being quieter, from looking at the specs most of the important stuff is the same, and for a $ 100 USD difference you get a different color and a little bit of extended flight time.

The new MPP props will fit the MP and be much quieter as well.

For 68 bucks you can buy another battery and have 27 minutes extra flight time, 20 bucks for the new quite props and your good to go....
2017-9-1
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-31 19:06

Thor i was just wondering?u must run latest firmware with new props or the latest firmware is for better optimisation with the new props on Mavic Pro?
2017-9-1
Use props
FlyingLocksmith
lvl.2
Flight distance : 154206 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-1 02:53
Our engineers had tested it and confirmed that it needs to upgrade to the latest firmware to ensure the stability of flight.

Thank you for answering that
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

DJ Enertia Posted at 2017-9-1 07:12
Thor i was just wondering?u must run latest firmware with new props or the latest firmware is for better optimisation with the new props on Mavic Pro?

Yes, that is for sure. Please refer to my reply at 27#.
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules