15651 47 2017-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Virgil Quick
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1074104 ft
United States

From DJI:

With the newly added Paper Plane flight mode, users now have more ways to enjoy the Spark. This new mode allows users to launch the drone in a forward motion, just like flying a paper plane. The camera will automatically begin recording a Dronie video using user-defined distance with a fixed angle and speed. When filming is complete, the DJI Spark will automatically return to the pilot and the footage can be quickly and easily edited and shared.

In addition, a new Sphere mode will be added to the Panorama photo feature, enabling users to produce a panoramic photo with a fisheye lense effect. Both features will be included soon in the forthcoming DJI Go 4 mobile app and Spark firmware updates.

2017-8-31
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Paper Plane mode sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen according to that description.
2017-8-31
Use props
agonzarn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84993 ft
United States

That sounds awesome! I hope that mine gets replaced.
2017-8-31
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
United Kingdom

Was that included in the app update that I did today ?. Was hoping there might be some new stuff as the app was 266Mb
2017-8-31
Use props
dojoman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64865 ft
United States

I just want log profile for the video I don't need paper plane feature.
2017-8-31
Use props
Ethan-brown19
lvl.2
Flight distance : 81745 ft
Australia

My god what I would give for a Log profile! Paper plane sounds cool for a one time trial
2017-8-31
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

dojoman Posted at 2017-8-31 13:24
I just want log profile for the video I don't need paper plane feature.

Forgive my ignorance but what is log profile?
2017-8-31
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Update:  Nevermind I found it.
Where did you get this information from?  

Announcement is here --> DJI Announces New Features
2017-8-31
Use props
djiuser_Fzc6zu7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 38245 ft
Malaysia

The latest update is expected to arrive in the near future, looking forward to the panorama of the sphere.
2017-8-31
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-31 12:52
Paper Plane mode sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen according to that description.

I must be interpreting the mode differently.  I envision that it moves forward and records.  Obstacle avoidance should prevent collisions.
2017-8-31
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Ethan-brown19 Posted at 2017-8-31 13:25
My god what I would give for a Log profile! Paper plane sounds cool for a one time trial

I would give my left testicle for 24fps.
2017-8-31
Use props
larrymull
lvl.3
Flight distance : 468668 ft
Australia

We still need DNG added, this is a must from my perspective and others.
2017-8-31
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

What is the difference between Paper plane and Mavic fixed wing?
Possibly Paper plane will go with the wind?
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Wwll if u read the op it says u hand launch it....u do not do this with mavic fixed wing. For that u have to be cruising at a set speed
2017-8-31
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Idk if we are goimg to get dng or log profiles its dji's beginner drone. If you want that go to the mavic and up
2017-8-31
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very Kewel!!!

From: https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/dji/latest_media/tag/djispark
xxxjb.jpg
2017-8-31
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Keep loading the software with "cool" stuff but don't fix the basics. What's wrong with a drone taking off vertically? It's a quadcopter, not an airplane!!
2017-8-31
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuanthonyTrang Posted at 2017-8-31 15:21
I would give my left testicle for 24fps.

I'll give my right side.
2017-8-31
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137369 ft
Singapore

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-31 14:38
I must be interpreting the mode differently.  I envision that it moves forward and records.  Obstacle avoidance should prevent collisions.

Since they mentioned dronie, it should be pretty obvious.  Aircraft faces you so no collision detection exept maybe when it returns.   It's probably an automated sequence that combines a clever use of the new gentler palm launch, video recording, active track, and dronie mode.  

My guess is that maybe they will have a specific button combination for paper plane, like three button press instead of the two in the standard).  Probably play a series of beeps while it's in your hand so you know it's ready to be thrown.  

I'm assuming due to how it tracks your face, the A/C would probably have to be level with your face when you throw.  But a face is a small target.  Normal dronie works off of a human body shape, so the programmers probably have the spark look actively and automatically switches or tracks the first body that comes into frame.  Then as it flies out, it will take a dronie as usual, and return as usual.  

I'm just curious about the whole safety issue, and how they got around it.

How do they give us confidence in setting a high dronie altitude and distance and know that it will go out and return without doing pre-flight checks for GPS signal or compass errors.   Distance/altitude and no remote?  Will it have any issues finding the original target?  At least when activated by remote, you already know you have strong gps, and no errors.  Also i think the lawsuit foresight is valid here.  We're not in any manual control of the A/C once it's out of our hands it's probably taking off towards a pre-set distance and height.  DJI says these are customizable, but what if one forgets and mis-calculates?    Lots of things can go wrong.
That being said, I think this is a super cool feature and I can't wait to try it once and never try it again because I'm too paranoid.
2017-8-31
Use props
djiuser_ZXl4xiS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56010 ft
Germany

I don't think you can set the distance *and* height in the paper plane mode. At least the description reads to me as if you can only specify distance. Which is a shame actually. I'd wish dronie would allow distance and height. Especially since dronie starts with just flying away and at some point starts to slowly go up. I'd prefer an instant angled move upwards with a freely choseable angle (or distance/height that is).
2017-8-31
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i love the sound of paper plane fixed wing mode, if it works well and dji gives us more options for how to control fixed wing mode, that will be awesome. i also hope they implement it as an offical launch to use with the RC as well i can see that being useful int he field.. where take off maybe limited/have a ceiling or something.. and spark has great potential for being used as a spotter drone for search and rescue..  however with DJi's current control scheme of fixed wing mode (on the mavic pro at least) the controls flip sticks on you for certain functions and not where you expect them from standard/default mode 2... i nearly crashed my mavic pro a few times using fixed wing mode.. i started getting the hang of it but then i brainfart and forgot im not in standard/default control mode and certain functions swapped sticks and  i had to quickly tap out of it and switch back before barreling into something..  

keep it up DJI on these type of features that make the spark special and unique.. if you guys can better perfect the spark, i may buy another!

sphere though i think sounds too gimmicky... not terribly useful
2017-8-31
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

I would prefer they fix other stuffs (such as Wifi stuff in Europe) or add more basic stuff such as official OTG or waypoints...
2017-8-31
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Sounds nice to have new features coming, but please do your bug fixing with prio #1

DNG/RAW support would be my No. 1 ;)
2017-8-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-8-31 22:36
Sounds nice to have new features coming, but please do your bug fixing with prio #1

DNG/RAW support would be my No. 1 ;)

Agree. As well as  25fps
2017-8-31
Use props
Lian82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 796775 ft
Italy

1080p 60 fps :C D-log :C
and automatic create a timelapse video..
2017-8-31
Use props
milksteak
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137369 ft
China

djiuser_ZXl4xiS Posted at 2017-8-31 20:38
I don't think you can set the distance *and* height in the paper plane mode. At least the description reads to me as if you can only specify distance. Which is a shame actually. I'd wish dronie would allow distance and height. Especially since dronie starts with just flying away and at some point starts to slowly go up. I'd prefer an instant angled move upwards with a freely choseable angle (or distance/height that is).

You're right, the rise is automatic and fixed.  And perhaps it won't even rise in this paper plane mode since it's being launched/activated under a certain height as some DJI reps have said may be the cause.
2017-8-31
Use props
rarevfx4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 387562 ft
Germany

D-Log isn't really necessary since the D-Log Curve of DJI isn't really good.
If you want Log, you can simply convert the Rec.709 colors into Log space in your editing program, then grade from there.

I would Appreciate 4K, 24fps, or RAW since the build in sensor is already capable of shooting 4K 60p.
2017-8-31
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

milksteak Posted at 2017-8-31 19:34
Since they mentioned dronie, it should be pretty obvious.  Aircraft faces you so no collision detection exept maybe when it returns.   It's probably an automated sequence that combines a clever use of the new gentler palm launch, video recording, active track, and dronie mode.  

My guess is that maybe they will have a specific button combination for paper plane, like three button press instead of the two in the standard).  Probably play a series of beeps while it's in your hand so you know it's ready to be thrown.  

Gps  set in gesture indicated bysix rapid green flashes on rear lights.
2017-8-31
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

rarevfx4 Posted at 2017-8-31 23:29
D-Log isn't really necessary since the D-Log Curve of DJI isn't really good.
If you want Log, you can simply convert the Rec.709 colors into Log space in your editing program, then grade from there.

hm, never thought of converting the rec.709 to a log space and grade from there ... will def give it a try.
RAW for pictures would be awesome, but I doubt we would get anything better the FullHD because otherwise the Mavic will get into trouble from a selling point of view

2017-9-1
Use props
rarevfx_officia
lvl.4
Germany

LeChuck71 Posted at 2017-9-1 00:05
hm, never thought of converting the rec.709 to a log space and grade from there ... will def give it a try.
RAW for pictures would be awesome, but I doubt we would get anything better the FullHD because otherwise the Mavic will get into trouble from a selling point of view

Yeah. If you're using Premiere Pro you can simply apply the "Cineon Converter" effect. Really changes something.

Maybe they can add 2K recording. That would improve the res a bit, but wouldn't go same with Mavic.

What i don't understand (to come back to the 2K resolution):
DJI released a Phantom 3 Standard which can shoot 2,7K res. The Spark costs more than the Phantom 3 Standard but the Standard has a better camera. That doesn't make sense since both are using the same Sensor.
2017-9-1
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Im hoping they are adding this as a palm launch gesture. Expectation: No controller or phone required other than pre-setting the distance and angle that gets saved to the spark.
That way you palm launch, reach under and push it up and away and it does a dronie and returns. Perfect.

2017-9-1
Use props
Malakai_UK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rarevfx_officia Posted at 2017-9-1 01:09
Yeah. If you're using Premiere Pro you can simply apply the "Cineon Converter" effect. Really changes something.

Maybe they can add 2K recording. That would improve the res a bit, but wouldn't go same with Mavic.

My guess is it boils down to battery life. Just because the sensor can capture at 2.7k doesn't mean its efficient enough to implement.
I'm guessing DJI went for 1080p, 30fps @ 24MBps as a balance of image quality over power efficiency. Using higher bitrates or resolutions requires more processing power which uses more battery meaning lower flight times.
As for colour profiles or capturing at 24fps, im guessing these can be added in a FW update unless there is some kind of hardware limitation for the 24fps.
2017-9-1
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is it just me or is the Paper plane Mode already removed from the page..... I'm unable to find it.
2017-9-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Aeromirage Posted at 2017-8-31 18:02
Very Kewel!!!

From: https://www.mynewsdesk.com/uk/dji/latest_media/tag/djispark

For sure a nice effect.
2017-9-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MaikR Posted at 2017-9-1 02:17
Is it just me or is the Paper plane Mode already removed from the page..... I'm unable to find it.

I can't find it either.
But they do have some updates (I did not see that last night)
2017-9-1
Use props
rarevfx_officia
lvl.4
Germany

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-9-1 01:38
My guess is it boils down to battery life. Just because the sensor can capture at 2.7k doesn't mean its efficient enough to implement.
I'm guessing DJI went for 1080p, 30fps @ 24MBps as a balance of image quality over power efficiency. Using higher bitrates or resolutions requires more processing power which uses more battery meaning lower flight times.
As for colour profiles or capturing at 24fps, im guessing these can be added in a FW update unless there is some kind of hardware limitation for the 24fps.

I don't really think it boils down the battery life noticable to the user.
That would mean that you can fly longer with the P4 if you film at 1080p instead of 4K60p.

Also, 2K isn't that much more, so even if theres less battery and flight time left, it would maybe make 1min maximum in the outcome. The propellers consume the most.
I would rather fly 1 min less for 2K then 1 min more for 1080

As far as i know the Mavic also owns the same sensor like the P3S/A/P and Spark - so technically it should work. But did DJI ever released such a big Update that would make things so much better?
2017-9-1
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Love the way everyone wants what is on all the other drones rather than new and unique features that no other drone has.  Maybe you bought the wrong drone guys
2017-9-1
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

HomePoint Posted at 2017-9-1 04:34
Love the way everyone wants what is on all the other drones rather than new and unique features that no other drone has.  Maybe you bought the wrong drone guys

Buy a Spark, expect a Mavic
2017-9-1
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Well given I haven't had any issues with my Spark, all these new tweaks can add to the current list of cool things.  Hope this doesn't become to complicated and you'll need a college degree to fly it.
2017-9-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rarevfx_officia Posted at 2017-9-1 03:20
I don't really think it boils down the battery life noticable to the user.
That would mean that you can fly longer with the P4 if you film at 1080p instead of 4K60p.

They have slightly different sensors, at least output slightly different resolution pictures if I recall correctly.
2017-9-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules