Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Propeller Lifetime?
2771 12 2017-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

Hi,

recently I asked my self how many hours of flight a set of propellers can be used. Sooner or later plastic becomes brittle, but when is the right time to change them? Anyone has some information about this? Or what does DJI recommend?

Regards,
patman89

2017-9-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dji recommends change props every 200 flights. That's if you fly full batteries. I usually only fly for 10,15 minutes at a time so I'm thinking between 300-400 flights
2017-9-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Also, the worst thing for plastics becoming brittle is the sun, I wouldn't leave the mavic sitting on a window sill because of the UV radiation...
2017-9-1
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-1 06:25
Dji recommends change props every 200 flights. That's if you fly full batteries. I usually only fly for 10,15 minutes at a time so I'm thinking between 300-400 flights

Thank you

My Mavic is stored in a bag without direct contact of sunlight. So no problem here.
2017-9-1
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-1 06:25

Good to know
2017-9-1
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

plus I think that the props are made of fiberglass not plastic; but could be wrong.
2017-9-1
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I'm not sure of the actual lifespan but I always make sure to check my props before every flight. just gently bend them and check for any strain etc.
2017-9-1
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-1 07:13
plus I think that the props are made of fiberglass not plastic; but could be wrong.

There might be some additives but I'm pretty sure there mostly plastic, there are many fancy names for plastic these days.....
2017-9-1
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

they are some form of a poly type of plastic.. meaning mixture..  probably a nylon based mixture makes the most sense, since nylon is incredibly strong and flexible (basis for making kevlar is nylon) .
but also can get brittle with improper treatment..  downside of nylon they dont like temperature swings, so hot to cold cold to hot will age them quicker, UV (sun light) will brittle them up rapidly as well. but is probably the least evil option given other poly/plastics fail with less stress or warp or fail catastrophically..

i had bad luck with 2 blade so far.. both have cracked completely on their own (as far as i can work out)..  since swapped to a fresh set of blades all 4 corners after finally receiving replacements from amazon and they work a real treat so far.. it may take days for a stress crack to appear for me though so if it happens without my crashing ill be complaining..
2017-9-1
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

It is an important info to know.
Lucky! I am very far from changing them.
2017-9-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

200 flights from what I was told by a moderator, but always check the props before flight for cracks and nicks.
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Agree with Lucas, always check my props before every single flight as well.
2017-9-1
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

Thank you for all the informations!

Then I don't need to change my propellers that soon. I do check my Mavic right before every flight - not only the propellers:

-> check the battery-state

-> check wether the battery is snapped in properly

-> check the gimbal

-> check the sensors for any scratches or dirt/dust

-> check the propellers

-> and some more
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules