Activation hell ?
6511 103 2017-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SG70
lvl.2
France

Sorry I was away on a business trip, I'm downloading the 3.1.8 version as we speak and I'll try to test it tonight, if this works I own whoever found the solution a good meal at a good restaurant !
2017-9-6
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Perrymoon Posted at 2017-9-6 05:14
Lol no no!!

It's not me who have found the issue, other participants in this conversation did. I just passed the info to them ;)

OK, fair enough, but it is still strange that you had to install a prehistoric DJI GO 4 app to activate your DJI account.
2017-9-6
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-6 08:14
OK, fair enough, but it is still strange that you had to install a prehistoric DJI GO 4 app to activate your DJI account.

So I tried the "trick" (for lack of a better word) with the old version app and it got me past activation !!!
Then installed the GO 4 version and inside the house manged (with props off for safety) to get the app to connect to the RC and to get the "GO FLY" displayed... seem's to work, I'm in "beginner mode" for the moment and had no GPS in the house (which is normal I suppose) so no take off possible I'll go try it outside in a while.

To think DJI wanted me to return the package to "fix it" when it was an issue with the app leaves me rather dubious as too how much effort (or competence ?) they put into a prob that only affected a few of us.
I'm also still wondering why a few of us have this problem at all, what can possibly be different about our setup ?
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-7 01:43
So I tried the "trick" (for lack of a better word) with the old version app and it got me past activation !!!
Then installed the GO 4 version and inside the house manged (with props off for safety) to get the app to connect to the RC and to get the "GO FLY" displayed... seem's to work, I'm in "beginner mode" for the moment and had no GPS in the house (which is normal I suppose) so no take off possible I'll go try it outside in a while.

Well, I am glad you got your account finally activated.
If I were you, I would certainly inform DJI support, because this procedure to activate your account cannot possibly be the usual method.
It is up to DJI to get this sorted out...
2017-9-7
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 01:52
Well, I am glad you got your account finally activated.
If I were you, I would certainly inform DJI support, because this procedure to activate your account cannot possibly be the usual method.
It is up to DJI to get this sorted out...

I'll be answering their "return the aircraft" mail with this information.
I now understand why the old GO app has a 3.5 ratting while the new GO 4 app a 2.7... I kind of wonder what is yet to come sigh...
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-7 02:32
I'll be answering their "return the aircraft" mail with this information.
I now understand why the old GO app has a 3.5 ratting while the new GO 4 app a 2.7... I kind of wonder what is yet to come sigh...

I am seriously considering buying Litchi, but I am still hesitating, as some of the recent reviews in Google Play Store are very negative indeed.
2017-9-7
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 02:54
I am seriously considering buying Litchi, but I am still hesitating, as some of the recent reviews in Google Play Store are very negative indeed.

The GO 4 app is really a piece of crap IMO, I've flow twice (had lots of video lag), both times after 5 minutes the go 4 app said "aircraft disconnected" even thought the RC indicators said the signal was strong (the mavic was about 5 m away...) and now when I turn on the go 4 app it displays RC connected even when NOTHING is plugged into the USB (let alone the RC which is turned off anyways...)

sigh...
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-7 04:11
The GO 4 app is really a piece of crap IMO, I've flow twice (had lots of video lag), both times after 5 minutes the go 4 app said "aircraft disconnected" even thought the RC indicators said the signal was strong (the mavic was about 5 m away...) and now when I turn on the go 4 app it displays RC connected even when NOTHING is plugged into the USB (let alone the RC which is turned off anyways...)

sigh...

Yes, I know, strange things are going on for the moment.
I'm using DJI GO 4 version 4.1.8 (Android) and FW .1000, and yesterday, when flying my Mavic, the image suddenly went blurry with no possibility of focusing anymore.
I then landed my Mavic, switched it off, switched it on again, let it take off and the focusing issue was fixed for the moment, but came back later on.
For the moment, I don't feel safe anymore, when letting my Mavic fly.
Where are the bugs, in the DJI GO 4 app or the firmware or both?
2017-9-7
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 04:27
Yes, I know, strange things are going on for the moment.
I'm using DJI GO 4 version 4.1.8 (Android) and FW .1000, and yesterday, when flying my Mavic, the image suddenly went blurry with no possibility of focusing anymore.
I then landed my Mavic, switched it off, switched it on again, let it take off and the focusing issue was fixed for the moment, but came back later on.

I wonder if the app is not horrendously sensitive to any firmware discrepancy (admittedly this would be a user fault not a DJI one).
I have two batteries and when I did the firmware update on the Mavic with the assistant 2 software unknown to me was the fact that it updated the firmware on both the Mavic AND the battery, when I did my first flight with all the disconnections issues I was flying with the non updated battery (except the GO 4 app hadn't inform of  me these discrepancies then it only did so after rebooting the phone, yet gain...)
I did a second flight later with the other battery (the one with the updated firmware) and for once it was glitch free for the whole 23 minute flight...
I did however notice a strong video lag but I'm blaming the CPU rendering on the phone for this, I need to go over the manual and see how I can lower the display resolution to ease off on the phone until I get a dedicated tablet for this.
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-7 06:16
I wonder if the app is not horrendously sensitive to any firmware discrepancy (admittedly this would be a user fault not a DJI one).
I have two batteries and when I did the firmware update on the Mavic with the assistant 2 software unknown to me was the fact that it updated the firmware on both the Mavic AND the battery, when I did my first flight with all the disconnections issues I was flying with the non updated battery (except the GO 4 app hadn't inform of  me these discrepancies then it only did so after rebooting the phone, yet gain...)
I did a second flight later with the other battery (the one with the updated firmware) and for once it was glitch free for the whole 23 minute flight...

Yes, you have to update the batteries to the new firmware as well, but an Internet connection is not necessary during that update.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 for moment at a 2220x1080 resolution, and it works very well, at least when the DJI software is cooperating...
2017-9-7
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 06:28
Yes, you have to update the batteries to the new firmware as well, but an Internet connection is not necessary during that update.
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S8 for moment at a 2220x1080 resolution, and it works very well, at least when the DJI software is cooperating...

Well I flew two batteries worth just now (I'm counting in batteries LOL) one with my Huwai P7 where even with video set to 1080p it was so lagging it was impossible to fly FPV and the second one with an aging Samsung Tab Pro 8 where the video was much more fluid so it's a strong argument in favor of video lag being a "display device CPU" issue
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-7 08:11
Well I flew two batteries worth just now (I'm counting in batteries LOL) one with my Huwai P7 where even with video set to 1080p it was so lagging it was impossible to fly FPV and the second one with an aging Samsung Tab Pro 8 where the video was much more fluid so it's a strong argument in favor of video lag being a "display device CPU" issue

I would say that your Huwai P7 is much too weak for DJI GO 4.
It is not in DJI's recommended mobile devices list:
http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs
2017-9-7
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 08:19

A number of us have bought this tablet- Acer Iconia one 7" tablet, & it works on my P3A & thankfully, my Mavic pro- no lag, no blackouts at all after about 10 flights with perfect picture!
Acer 7" tablet cost me 84 bucks , I see today their on for anywhere from 67 bucks(refurbished) to 98 bucks Canadian. Now, there are a number of versions of the Acer iconia, just make sure you get the Acer with the MedTek processor.
Its a bit of a tight squeeze into the Mavics arms, but does fit, one of the users shaved the rubber lumps off a bit in the Mavics arms for a easier fit.
NOTE- always plug in to the bottom USB port on your Mavic
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-9-7 09:20
A number of us have bought this tablet- Acer Iconia one 7" tablet, & it works on my P3A & thankfully, my Mavic pro- no lag, no blackouts at all after about 10 flights with perfect picture!
Acer 7" tablet cost me 84 bucks , I see today their on for anywhere from 67 bucks(refurbished) to 98 bucks Canadian. Now, there are a number of versions of the Acer iconia, just make sure you get the Acer with the MedTek processor.
Its a bit of a tight squeeze into the Mavics arms, but does fit, one of the users shaved the rubber lumps off a bit in the Mavics arms for a easier fit.

Thanks, but I was thinking of possibly using something like an iPad mini or the new Samsung Tab or equally powerful.
I know that DJI GO 4 eats computer resources like the cookie monster eats cookies.
Hopefully Apple will also release new iPads with the iPhone 8 (or whatever it's called) next week.
2017-9-7
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 08:19

... duh... even when a device is on that list DJI can't guarantee it will work... too much bloatware on most phones...
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-9-7 12:24
... duh... even when a device is on that list DJI can't guarantee it will work... too much bloatware on most phones...

That's the responsibility of the phone's user.
Some people install all sorts of garbage apps on their phones, even from insecure sources.
2017-9-7
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... then explain why the app keeps crashing on my clean (free of any other app then the ones that were originally on my phone)... you can't so please don't tell is is the responsibility of the phone's user...
2017-9-7
Use props
Perrymoon
lvl.1
France

SG70 Posted at 2017-9-7 08:11

I flew it for the first time yesterday evening and I was very impressed and excited. It work well. The video in my nexus 7 wasn't fluid, but enought to place my mavic where I wanted to begin my shot and execute the movement. It was a good surprise that I can play the original video file from the tablet, and that framerate when doing so.

The only issue I had with DJI GO 4 was that it stopped working at some point between one flight and the other. I know I will find other problems as well and this makes you feel a little insecure when flying... Well, at least we got the most important part, making it fly. Now it's time for a little bit of adventure and faith on the developpers.

2017-9-8
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

Perrymoon Posted at 2017-9-8 02:22
I flew it for the first time yesterday evening and I was very impressed and excited. It work well. The video in my nexus 7 wasn't fluid, but enought to place my mavic where I wanted to begin my shot and execute the movement. It was a good surprise that I can play the original video file from the tablet, and that framerate when doing so.

The only issue I had with DJI GO 4 was that it stopped working at some point between one flight and the other. I know I will find other problems as well and this makes you feel a little insecure when flying... Well, at least we got the most important part, making it fly. Now it's time for a little bit of adventure and faith on the developpers.

when the app crash's I try to quickly press the pause button on the RC if I'm far away or not in LOS (usually cause at 500m I can barely see "bart" (my Mavic's name) anymore.
I'm ashamed to admit that I've flow 7 times already and have not yet tested the RTH (thought I did set it at 30m height to clear the damn trees...)
2017-9-9
Use props
Disenchanted on
lvl.1

United States

Perrymoon Posted at 2017-9-5 12:34
Well there's a folk in this conversation that has the same issue in the US.

I haven't tried anonymizing services, no. Do you think for some reason our connections are cutting the communication between the app and the server?

@ MARSAN  Have same problem here in Florida,U S A . We are not stupid people, We know how to follow directions,and watch video's. We are tired of standing on one foot, jumping up and down while patting our heads. THE DAMN THINGS DON'T WORK!
2017-9-9
Use props
djiuser_dONv6DQ
New
Germany

I can confirm the activation failure issue: "Check your Internet connection (...)". My Internet connection is fine, DJI.

The workaround with an older version seems not to work (anymore?); on first startup it doesn't download the required file from DJI. Also: "Check your Internet connection (...)" - probably older versions are blocked now. Shouldn't it concern DJI, that everything else - which requires an Internet connection, works...?

But I'm sure the most important thing worked smoothly and is already done: collecting all my personal data from my smartphone and sending it to DJI. Only for security reasons, to protect and to help me, of course.

I don't know what to do with that expensive poc now.
2017-11-5
Use props
SG70
lvl.2
France

djiuser_dONv6DQ Posted at 2017-11-5 03:15
I can confirm the activation failure issue: "Check your Internet connection (...)". My Internet connection is fine, DJI.

The workaround with an older version seems not to work (anymore?); on first startup it doesn't download the required file from DJI. Also: "Check your Internet connection (...)" - probably older versions are blocked now. Shouldn't it concern DJI, that everything else - which requires an Internet connection, works...?

Hello,

What do you mean by the workaround no longer working ?
I can understand your frustration....
2017-11-13
Use props
CelticRambler
lvl.1
France

Good Evening, everyone, and especially SG. Since setting up my Mavic yesterday, I had *exactly* the same problem with the "no internet" error and eventually found your video and this thread.

I am very disappointed that DJI keep suggesting that this is a problem with our phones, as it obviously is not. I had already downloaded DJI Go 4 and Assistant 2, and updated the RC and aircraft firmware - using the internet, so I knew there was no problem with my internet, and like you, I'd checked to see whether the app was communicating with a server somewhere and it was. It made no difference whether I used a broadband/landline connection or 3G, the app said there was no internet.

Twenty four hours later (with not much sleep), I finally found this thread and Perrymoon's step-by-step instructions, and ... ... ... they still work! Once I'd installed 3.1.8, activation was almost instantaneous, and I was finally able to start my MP's rotors (too dark now to fly).

So DJI, please stop telling us that our phones are out of date or our USB cables are faulty or our internet is not good enough. There is a problem with your app; it's as simple as that.
2017-11-19
Use props
djiuser_dONv6DQ
New
Germany

SG70 Posted at 2017-11-13 11:03
What do you mean by the workaround no longer working ?

Hello,

I tried with the older version as described in other posts beforehand (=workaround). It did not work for me. The detailed report you find in my post.

My problem is solved otherwise: The shop took my drone back and fully refunded the money.

Still, I do not understand why DJI seems not to care too much about this, assumably, widespread issue. At least not my problem, anymore.
2017-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules