Traveling to Manhattan, New York, can i fly there? Central Park?
3180 17 2015-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
leoamartinez
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1602986 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Im travelling to New York next week, i would like to fly in manhattan, according to the map, its legal to fly there, in Central Park, is there a special law or something, i really want to fly there...
2015-4-1
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am not sure about any NYPD issues. I can tell you this is that there are a ton of Posts with Drone footage of Central Park. I think there may have been a Post on the Forum where a person was asked by Officials to  land it. I Think the main issue is there are so many people in the Park Officials are afraid that someone may be injured. Personally I don't like to fly with a crowd present for two reasons, a mishap could injure someone and people start talking to you and you don't have full concentration on your flying.
2015-4-1
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Ok, thats true, if i fly it there i'll be very careful, but i want to confirm that is not illegal, i don't want to get an issue with the police...
2015-4-1
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

leoamartinez@gm Posted at 2015-4-1 23:06
Ok, thats true, if i fly it there i'll be very careful, but i want to confirm that is not illegal, i ...

Flying within 5miles of any major international airport is never a good idea. The close proximity to THREE major airports anywhere in the metro area coupled with the heavy light aircraft traffic pretty much puts all of NY out of bounds.
As much as I would love to fly it, I won't for safety reasons.
Because of the proximity to the three airports it means that virtually the whole of Manhattan is in FAA controlled airspace.
Use that info as you see fit.
I hear they get HBO movies now in Guantanamo Bay.....
2015-4-1
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Jajajajajaja, Guantanamo! Thats a good one, i will NOT fly, just to avoid that! Thanks for the info!
2015-4-1
Use props
Monkeyking
lvl.2

United States

I am from NYC, while there are drone vids up. It is basically understood that and Drone flights within the city is illegal and the NYPD is no joke. People have been tazer'd for less. Central Park might be okay but keep a low profile and avoid crowds. If the cops do come, be chill and comply.

2015-4-1
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-4-1 23:41
Flying within 5miles of any major international airport is never a good idea. The close proximity t ...

Don't worry your quad wont get past the concrete and steel monoliths. The buildings will stop it from getting too far. After they remove the taser darts from your back.
2015-4-1
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Lol, thanks for the info, was thinking of getting some images of the city, is there a place ? Maybe across the river that you could take off and take some pictures?
2015-4-3
Use props
Midi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

Little of topic, but are you making jokes about this laser thing or do the New York police really shot people
because of flying copters?

I cant believe police is allowed todo such things; me from europe/germany
2015-4-3
Use props
P3Life
lvl.1

United States

don't fly Central Park you go to jail
2015-7-10
Use props
Fa7aLi7y
New

United States

This article is current as of FEB 2015 http://blog.cameralends.com/2015 ... -york-city-legally/
2015-7-10
Use props
Fa7aLi7y
New

United States

Midi Posted at 2015-4-3 21:42
Little of topic, but are you making jokes about this laser thing or do the New York police really sh ...

As an LEO who works in the NY area I can assure you that nobody will be shot or tasered for using a drone in NYC.  Please don't be fooled by the media hype trying to paint all Law enforcement with a broad brush as being trigger happy racists.
2015-7-10
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Now stop and really revisit your question. I've seen your posts here, so I can see that you've read and participated in some threads. Now think like a pilot and apply the safety assesment of a well planned flight to your question. There are apps that will give you a visual of "no fly zones" so you are aware of the restrictions. As noted above, the FAA controls the airspace and the 3 airports overlap and create a complete area demarked as "NO". Leave your AC home.
2015-7-11
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Little of topic, but are you making jokes about this laser thing or do the New York police really sh ...

Yeah well don't fly in Albuquerque, or the mountains, These SOB's will gun you down in cold blood
2015-7-11
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

don't come to Albuquerque
2015-7-11
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

It´s the NYPD we are talking about ...
They arrest people for man spreading !
2015-7-12
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

I've flown from Brooklyn Park just across the east river. It was during the winter and a NYPD boat was hanging out right in between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridge watching me the entire time. If you do fly here, stay very low (no higher than the bridges) as Helis buzz the tops of the bridges all the time. NY ON AIR (aerial photo experience) is getting extremely popular so heli-flights are happening more than they ever have near and over the city.

Flying in the city is a big no-no. Although not illegal, cops can get you for reckless endangerment if you're flying over buildings or mass amounts of people. Central park might be fine but again, line of sight and keep her pretty low (don't be exploring 432 park ave) ;)
2015-7-12
Use props
leoamartinez
lvl.4
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

scooterlam Posted at 2015-7-13 14:19
I've flown from Brooklyn Park just across the east river. It was during the winter and a NYPD boat w ...

Thanks for the advice, will do so, also i read that in Battery Park you could fly, and as i checked you could get an amazing picture of the city from here, flying low and with caution....
2015-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules