Double Whammy
1771 32 2017-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cthetoy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 656703 ft
United States

I bought an open box Phantom 4 two week ago from a large retail camera store in the east coast. Less than 5 flights according to the flight record. First problem. Remote controller only charges to the third led light and stops. Search DJI forums, Youtube, Phantompilots and people are having the same problem. Luckily I was able to return it back to the store instead of having DJI fix it since DJI takes too long and won't admit there is an issue with their P4 controllers. Before I returned it I updated to the latest firmware to see if I have the wobbly hover, and right after the firmware upgrade I experienced the wobbly hover. I even told my son, "Watch this. After I upgrade the firmware the Phantom 4 will wobble during hover." He asked me why I wanted that wobbly effect after the firmware update. I laughed.

DJI. I am not returning this Phantom 4 back to your service department. I'm returning it to the store where I bought it from. You will probably see it in a month or so.

DON'T BE AFRAID to admit there are issues with some Phantom 4 controllers charging correctly and issues with the latest firmware. If you look at ayoutube channel and another forum you might see its a bad soldering or component that is causing the charging issue. I had double whammy and got both issues.

Apple admits mistake on the Iphone firmware upgrade that bricked some phones. Canon apologized for their firmware errors on their cameras. You are not the only company that make mistakes on fimrware updates

Replace the controllers for your customers even they are out of warranty. Its your fault and not theirs. They didnt break it. You or your poor manufacturing did. They all have the same issue. Replacing controllers probably won't cost that much to you. It will outweight your costs to the number of loyal customers you have (had)

Admit there are issues with your firmware. All you had to do is say something like "Sorry to some of you who are having issues with the latest firrmware. We took the firmware down while we resolve the issue. Here is how to rollback to your previous firmware if you had issues." That's it. You now have all the time to fix it now while other can still enjoy flying. This won't even cost your company anything.
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I'm sorry to hear your unpleasant experience. Is there any case number can be offered for further follow-up? I'd like to check the exact status.
2017-9-1
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-1 23:17
I'm sorry to hear your unpleasant experience. Is there any case number can be offered for further follow-up? I'd like to check the exact status.

Thanks for responding but there is no case number. I returned the Phantom 4 back to the retailer as this would be faster in getting another. The retailer will probably will return it back to you. The post above was merely suggestions you can forward to your management and their management if you respect your loyal customers.

Probably good news for you but with all the problems associated with the Phantom 4, I went ahead and bought the Phantom 4 Pro. Hopefully the P4P will have less issues.
2017-9-2
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Why did you update  the firmware if you knew about "issues" beforehand ?
2017-9-2
Use props
cthetoy
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-9-2 08:22
Why did you update  the firmware if you knew about "issues" beforehand ?

I had issues with the controller first so I was going to return the entire kit even though my P4 had no issues with v01.02.0602. Before I returned it I upgraded the firmware just to see if I would get the wobbly effect and the P4 did get it and other issues.
2017-9-2
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1023320 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-1 23:17

Dji Susan any news on the update for Ver 106. I happen to be a loyal customer (own 3 of your model). I ask before on the forum for any news and I was ignore.My  son and I are in the process of starting a business using drones, and were thinking of buying a inspire 2, but we have put everything on hold. If this is a reflection of the way DJI treats costumes, we will be looking elsewhere for our products. (My son will be taking the FAA test in a few weeks). You have many unhappy customers.
2017-9-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

cthetoy Posted at 2017-9-2 07:42
Thanks for responding but there is no case number. I returned the Phantom 4 back to the retailer as this would be faster in getting another. The retailer will probably will return it back to you. The post above was merely suggestions you can forward to your management and their management if you respect your loyal customers.

Probably good news for you but with all the problems associated with the Phantom 4, I went ahead and bought the Phantom 4 Pro. Hopefully the P4P will have less issues.

Hope you can get the drone back soon. And we will keep moving forward. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
2017-9-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-9-2 10:50
Dji Susan any news on the update for Ver 106. I happen to be a loyal customer (own 3 of your model). I ask before on the forum for any news and I was ignore.My  son and I are in the process of starting a business using drones, and were thinking of buying a inspire 2, but we have put everything on hold. If this is a reflection of the way DJI treats costumes, we will be looking elsewhere for our products. (My son will be taking the FAA test in a few weeks). You have many unhappy customers.

Could you please provide more details that happened to your drone so I can help? Thank you in advance.
2017-9-2
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-2 19:29
Could you please provide more details that happened to your drone so I can help? Thank you in advance.

After updating to 106 the drone has become unstable in fly and swings back and forth when it comes to a stop. It's the same thing that everyone is complaining  about. I have done only a few flights around my home because I'm scare of crashing. I've been flying for two years and never crashed. I've try every suggestion on your forum.My drone was fine until I updated.I own a P2V+,P4 and a Mavic.Never had problems before until update Ver 106.
2017-9-2
Use props
djiuser_E6PbUJV
lvl.2
United States

As someone who just purchased a P4P and is debating whether to open it or return I have to say the Tech support people seem completely tone deaf.  I mean they just told you about the firmware problem this entire forum is screaming about and you act like you did not hear them and ask if there is any specific problem you can help them with.  I know that DJI seems to have the best tech but this type of support or lack there of is very worrying.
2017-9-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_E6PbUJV Posted at 2017-9-2 22:55
As someone who just purchased a P4P and is debating whether to open it or return I have to say the Tech support people seem completely tone deaf.  I mean they just told you about the firmware problem this entire forum is screaming about and you act like you did not hear them and ask if there is any specific problem you can help them with.  I know that DJI seems to have the best tech but this type of support or lack there of is very worrying.

Aloha djiuser_E6P,

I have a P4P and it is completely up-to-date.  It is a delight to fly and there are no problems other than a waypoints loading problem.   I can live with that until they fix it as they said they are working on it.  It is after all cutting edge technology.

Why would you return a wonderful piece of flying technology when you have not even tried to fly it?  To my experience, DJI listens to everything said on this Forum and in my experiences with customer support.  

What firmware problem are you talking about?  I am having no firmware problem as noted.  You do not even say what problem you are anticipating.

You know what?  You should return your perfectly wonderful DJI product.  You do not deserve to fly that wonderful piece of technology.  Let someone else buy it and enjoy the amazing performance it is capable of.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-9-2 22:48
After updating to 106 the drone has become unstable in fly and swings back and forth when it comes to a stop. It's the same thing that everyone is complaining  about. I have done only a few flights around my home because I'm scare of crashing. I've been flying for two years and never crashed. I've try every suggestion on your forum.My drone was fine until I updated.I own a P2V+,P4 and a Mavic.Never had problems before until update Ver 106.

Aloha fanscf5,

Have you checked the settings after the firmware update as recommended by DJI?  Have you checked the Expo and gain settings?  Have you calibrated the sticks on the controller?  Have you checked the sensor report for the compass and IMU in the sensor settings?

Just because a few people on the Forum complain about a problem, does not make it real.  It also does not make for a lot of unhappy customers when you compare them to the customers who are not having any problems because they follow what DJI recommends.  Have you done what DJI recommends?

If you are not willing to do what DJI recommends, you should go out and buy the inferior products on the market so your business performs like it deserves.  When you have a problem, you have to investigate it thoroughly.  You have to engage DJI to determine if there really is a problem for you, not if there is a problem for some other guy on the Forum who has no interest in solving their problem.  There are people who come on this Forum with the only purpose of creating problems.  Are you a problem maker or a problem solver?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-3
Use props
djiuser_E6PbUJV
lvl.2
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-3 00:06
Aloha djiuser_E6P,

I have a P4P and it is completely up-to-date.  It is a delight to fly and there are no problems other than a waypoints loading problem.   I can live with that until they fix it as they said they are working on it.  It is after all cutting edge technology.

I'll ignore your last part as your first response was very helpful.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding things but there is a very long thread in this forum with people complaining about a firmware update in July that caused their drones to fly unstable.  The threads keep coming through today with people saying there has been no solution.  Perhaps that is with P4 and not the P4P?  

The reason I am wondering if I should return it is Best Buy has a 15% restock if you open it and I have not opened it yet.  Just trying to get some clarity if there are major problems right now with the P4P as DJI tech support sounds like a nightmare if you have to return for replacements.

Thank you,  Marc
2017-9-3
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Reduce the break power level in the  exp setting of your air craft.
2017-9-3
Use props
djiuser_E6PbUJV
lvl.2
United States

Here's the thread I was referring to.  It seems to be a Phantom 4 issue.  So do Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro use different firmware?

https://forum.dji.com/thread-103711-1-1.html
2017-9-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_E6PbUJV Posted at 2017-9-3 00:29
I'll ignore your last part as your first response was very helpful.  Perhaps I am misunderstanding things but there is a very long thread in this forum with people complaining about a firmware update in July that caused their drones to fly unstable.  The threads keep coming through today with people saying there has been no solution.  Perhaps that is with P4 and not the P4P?  

The reason I am wondering if I should return it is Best Buy has a 15% restock if you open it and I have not opened it yet.  Just trying to get some clarity if there are major problems right now with the P4P as DJI tech support sounds like a nightmare if you have to return for replacements.

Aloha Marc,

Good to see you are not throwing out the baby with the bathwater.  I responded in your other thread without the last part (as you indicated).

Read the manual and fly your P4 Pro.  You will be glad you did.  It will be the beginning of a beautiful relationship.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-9-2 22:48

If you are using Phantom 4, our engineers are aware of the drifting of the drone and working on it. We will help to escalate the process. Sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.
2017-9-4
Use props
Kent L
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-4 03:35
If you are using Phantom 4, our engineers are aware of the drifting of the drone and working on it. We will help to escalate the process. Sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

I have a P4 and finally got up enough nerve to do the updates.  I had to calibrate the IMU's twice because  I didn't realize it was done differently with the new firmware.  The controls seem to be faster responding but I just moved the controls a bit more softly.  I haven't noticed the AC drifting or bouncing around!  I must admit from reading all the posts with people having problems I was really skeptical to do so!  I purchased a Mavic Pro to play around with until I built up the courage!
2017-9-4
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-3 00:27
Aloha fanscf5,

Have you checked the settings after the firmware update as recommended by DJI?  Have you checked the Expo and gain settings?  Have you calibrated the sticks on the controller?  Have you checked the sensor report for the compass and IMU in the sensor settings?

I been flying for 2 years with out any problems, until ver 106. I owned 3 Dji models.Please read thread #17
2017-9-4
Use props
fanscf5de830
lvl.4
United States

Thank you for the reply.Thor it's been two months.
2017-9-4
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-3 00:27
Aloha fanscf5,

Ok im now convinced that you are not a regular forum member. You are without a doubt a dji employee acting like a regular product owner. I personally made you very aware of the hundreds of p4 and p4p owners in this forum experiencing issues after the firmware update and just like every other dji employee you act like this is the first time your hearing about it and trying to convince people, again, that they are the problem and not the firmware. It is clearly your job to defend dji and mislead people into believing that its user error and not a dji error. I mean I just went over all of this with you and a couple of weeks ago yet you act like this is the first you've heard of it. You know good and well that the latest p4 series firmware's are causing serious problems. Im sorry but its just possible that thousands of p4s/a/p owners all screwed up the update and are all having the EXACT same problems. Yeah there is absolutely no doubt that you are a dji employee whos job it is to defend dji when they screw up and distract real members and try to make them believe that they did something wrong. The majority of your posts are in defense of dji's mistakes. You know good and well the firmware has issues but you constantly tell people they must have done something wrong and that people that complain arent really having issues they just dont know what they are doing. You should be ashamed and so should dji for having employees pretend to be customers.
2017-9-4
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Thor, what did happen with these recent updates starting in June? We need answers, it has already been WAY too long that DJI has been silent on what's actually going on.

It's extremely discouraging that DJI has yet to "officially" address the complete disaster that these firmwares have had across multiple product lines.

And the fact that downgrading has been removed, what are we even left with besides a load of garbage? Some people actually rely on these aircraft to pay their bills, and DJI has left them completely out of luck. And still DJI has not acknowledged anything.
2017-9-4
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Drifting huh? Is that what you call it when the quad is tweaking out like a meth head on a 3 day bender and bucking in flight like a wild bronco? Drifting, lmao! You know good and well that drifting is the least of the issues with the p4 firmware and telling people your working on it still after 2 months is just a blatant falsehood. Im sorry but a single engineer could develop an entirely new flight control algorithm in less time. DJI has no desire to fix this issue. Your telling people that they have defective hardware so if thats the case just how exactly are you working on it? Give me a break!
2017-9-4
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Drifting huh? Is that what you call it when the quad is tweaking out like a meth head on a 3 day bender and bucking in flight like a wild bronco? Drifting, lmao! You know good and well that drifting is the least of the issues with the p4 firmware and telling people your working on it still after 2 months is just a blatant falsehood. Im sorry but a single engineer could develop an entirely new flight control algorithm in less time. DJI has no desire to fix this issue. Your telling people that they have defective hardware so if thats the case just how exactly are you working on it? Give me a break!
2017-9-4
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Duchunter Posted at 2017-9-4 13:49
Ok im now convinced that you are not a regular forum member. You are without a doubt a dji employee acting like a regular product owner. I personally made you very aware of the hundreds of p4 and p4p owners in this forum experiencing issues after the firmware update and just like every other dji employee you act like this is the first time your hearing about it and trying to convince people, again, that they are the problem and not the firmware. It is clearly your job to defend dji and mislead people into believing that its user error and not a dji error. I mean I just went over all of this with you and a couple of weeks ago yet you act like this is the first you've heard of it. You know good and well that the latest p4 series firmware's are causing serious problems. Im sorry but its just possible that thousands of p4s/a/p owners all screwed up the update and are all having the EXACT same problems. Yeah there is absolutely no doubt that you are a dji employee whos job it is to defend dji when they screw up and distract real members and try to make them believe that they did something wrong. The majority of your posts are in defense of dji's mistakes. You know good and well the firmware has issues but you constantly tell people they must have done something wrong and that people that complain arent really having issues they just dont know what they are doing. You should be ashamed and so should dji for having employees pretend to be customers.

Perfectly said, Duchunter.

Cetacean, I have seen many of your posts, and while I appreciate your positive attitude and outlook on things, the fact that you're avoiding the reality of the situation is very troubling.

There are hundreds of DJI users on the forums (multiple different product lines) that are all complaining of the same things. There are most likely many more times that who will never even visit an online forum, and who may also never even know how terrible the performance of their aircraft has become with recent updates due to the way they fly.

Regardless, it is very well established that firmwares from June 2017 onward have affected nearly all of DJI's current product line, and some of their previous models.

How can you act like this isn't a serious issue? Have a little compassion, please. There are many DJI pilots who can't even fly due to reliability and safety issues right now. Just because you can fly without any problems doesn't mean the world is still peachy keen, with butterflies, rainbows and kittens all over.

We all used to have "extremely acceptable" performance that was taken from us with recent firmware updates. All of the smiles in the world can't fix this. Please understand that we aren't directing ALL of our frustrations toward you, but you have got to be less ignorant to what's going on. Some of us are suffering here, and it's insulting the way that you act like this is not a serious problem created by DJI.

Either one of two things: 1) DJI acknowledges that there is a very serious issue with either firmware or hardware compatibility and they are working hard on fixing it (and they fix it); or 2) DJI acknowledges that they made a huge "oops" mistake with all of their new firmwares, and doesn't know what is going on or where/how the issue is affecting all of the DJI aircraft, but they allow us to downgrade (and then they also fix it).

There is no: 3) it's both 1 and 2 combined, but it's all good, just don't worry about it!
2017-9-4
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Hi Thor

Why do you specify P4?

Yum might just tell that "If you're using a DJI Drone ... " - I hope that your engineers as well are working on fix of the P4P issues and for that matter all the other Phantoms + other models that has been bricked.

In a few days, it would be three months since the P4P+'s was bricked, does DJI prolong our warranties with the time it takes to get it solved?
2017-9-4
Use props
KEDDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Hi Duch

I have had the same idea, but reading closely i think that a few in here is just some big ignorants,or perhapsthey live by selling Drones and part's, i just don't know.

one thing for sure differ, a few here claim it is the users fault and that they have to solve the problems themself but DJI don't agree about this ...

dji_nomods.png
2017-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fanscf5de830 Posted at 2017-9-4 12:14
I been flying for 2 years with out any problems, until ver 106. I owned 3 Dji models.Please read thread #17

Aloha fanscf5,

That is what you want to see on this Forum.  Thor is good for his word.  DJI engineers are working on it.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-4
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-4 18:35
Aloha fanscf5,

That is what you want to see on this Forum.  Thor is good for his word.  DJI engineers are working on it.

Working on what? You keep telling us that there are no firmware problems and that any issues are purely because we don't know how to update correctly.
2017-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Duchunter,

If I was a DJI employee, I would fire me as soon as possible.  I sit on the fence too much and when I speak, I speak in way too much detail to be an employee.  So, Frank Wang fire me!

Since I last interacted with you on this Forum, I had two contributors do as I suggested and they resolved their problems just like I keep telling you to do.  They listened to what I have to say and followed my advice, which oddly enough is DJI's advice.  It is my advice not because I work for DJI but because the advice works.  It worked for me, it works for others and it can work for you if you give it a chance.

It is your choice.  You can ignore the solution to your problem or wait for a solution that will never come because you have no interest in solving your problem.  It is not DJI's problem, it is your problem.  So solve it.

The only thing that can change this position is if you have a DJI Team Member say that the engineers are working on a specific issue.  Someone just pointed out that DJI Thor said something along that line recently (P4 drifting) and I went along with that point because Thor is an actual employee of DJI.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-4 18:48
Working on what? You keep telling us that there are no firmware problems and that any issues are purely because we don't know how to update correctly.

Aloha Jock,

That is not the only thing I have said.  Have you tried a different device?  Have you tried a relatively new device with 1.2 GHz multi-processors and 2 GB RAM?  No need to own it, just borrow one and check it out.  If it works then the firmware works.  Plain and simple.  If DJI has made a mistake it is in allowing too many approved devices that no longer can keep up.

If you have an Android, have you tried a very capable iOS?  Is the problem across the board for both operating systems?  Are you asking questions or pointing fingers?

This is not a simple and easy issue.  There are many extenuating circumstances, but if you are not willing to take your problem seriously, you will never solve your problem.  It is not DJI's problem, it is your problem.  The firmware works fine as demonstrated thousand of times a day.  Mine works fine or did until my K1 was stolen!  My Samsung Tab PRO is too under-powered to work with DJI GO 4.  I do not want the problems those complaining on this Forum are having.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-4
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-4 19:46
Aloha Jock,

That is not the only thing I have said.  Have you tried a different device?  Have you tried a relatively new device with 1.2 GHz multi-processors and 2 GB RAM?  No need to own it, just borrow one and check it out.  If it works then the firmware works.  Plain and simple.  If DJI has made a mistake it is in allowing too many approved devices that no longer can keep up.

You stated..."Have you tried a different device?  Have you tried a relatively new device with 1.2 GHz multi-processors and 2 GB RAM?  No need to own it, just borrow one and check it out.  If it works then the firmware works. "

What absolute rubbish and I certainly don't need a 101 lesson in what device to use. You have already stated that DJI have acknowledged the shaking problem yet you proceed to state that "If it (the controller device) works then the firmware works" which is clearly not always the case " The device I use is a recent model iPad with far more than enough performance to run the application.   I have no issues with video quality or anything like that. My issue is the P4 wobbling badly even when it is hovering and DJI has already stated (in a round about way - they refer to it as "drifting") that they are working on fixing it.   I can disconnect the iPad and it still shakes.

I take the problem very seriously but, clearly, DJI does not. As above, it took them nearly two months to even acknowledge the shaking problem. They may finally have acknowledged the problem but it's far from being "case closed" as you state. No one can even guess how long it will take them to fix it. You need to acknowledge that many of the posters who are having these problems would likely have just as much, if not more, experience than yourself with drones and / or firmware. They are not simply children who are blindly installing firmware in an incorrect manner. If some people have been lucky enough to update and their drone works fine then they are the lucky ones but it's ridiculous to infer that, because it worked for some, that everyone else has done something wrong.
Fortunately, I am able to  "drone on" once again but only because some clever users devised a method to roll back the previous firmware which works correctly.
2017-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-9-4 21:17
You stated..."Have you tried a different device?  Have you tried a relatively new device with 1.2 GHz multi-processors and 2 GB RAM?  No need to own it, just borrow one and check it out.  If it works then the firmware works. "

What absolute rubbish and I certainly don't need a 101 lesson in what device to use. You have already stated that DJI have acknowledged the shaking problem yet you proceed to state that "If it (the controller device) works then the firmware works" which is clearly not always the case " The device I use is a recent model iPad with far more than enough performance to run the application.   I have no issues with video quality or anything like that. My issue is the P4 wobbling badly even when it is hovering and DJI has already stated (in a round about way - they refer to it as "drifting") that they are working on fixing it.   I can disconnect the iPad and it still shakes.

Aloha Jock,

That was a good test to disconnect the cable to the device.  I have just started doing that for an unrelated test, but I can see that you used a good method in that test for this situation.  I was going to start recommending that but you beat me to it.  

I just got my nVidia Shield K1 replacement and will be re-starting my P4 and P4-Pro systems.  Just as a test, see if your problem persists with a different device.  Basically that is what I am doing and mine worked fine previously.

I think you are not giving DJI enough credit.  With 1500 engineers working for them, they are providing significant resources toward their problems.  With all the permutations that can influence this problem, the solution appears to be elusive.  That is why trying a different device can help.  One member did that and discovered the problem was solved.  Yet his old Android was as powerful as the new one he tested.  Apparently, the age of his preferred device was causing his problem even though the device firmware was up-to-date.

There are two basic ways to look at this issue, the device or the download and update process.  The firmware works as demonstrated thousands of times daily, if it is not the device, something is changing the firmware.

Sure you can know how to do updates.  But if doing the update on the same system does not work, use a different system.  There may be something inherent in the PC or iOS system that is causing the problem.  There are also a couple ways to do any firmware update.  Try the different ways and see if that works.  This is cutting edge technology.  We are all in this together.  Help out or just fly with your rolled-back system, but better to help out.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules