Platinum at IFA - First Impression
1138 13 2017-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
noka
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1104905 ft
Germany

OK - I just saw the Platinum live at the DJI booth at IFA Berlin (Consumer Electronics Show).

Here is what I learned: Staff said, that it might (!) be availabel end  of September, but they did not seem to know for sure (same with  propellers only). Also they said, that the motors are different hardware  than in the Mavic Pro - so not only a chip or software. They claimed,  that there might be no or very little noise reduction effect with the  new propellers on an old Mavic (though I'm sure that staff never tried  it out).

I saw the Platinum flying there (in a cage) as well - now this might be  due to lots of ambient noise - but to me it sounded extremely silent.  HUGE difference to Mavic Pro! It was hovering just 2m in front of me and  I was impressed by how little noise it made.

Then I went outside to an open air cage they had as well. And again they  flew the Platinum just in front of me in a cage. This time, the Mavic  had propreller protectors (bumpers, not cage) on it. And the noise was  pretty much the same as with my Mavic Pro. The staff said, that it is  due to the protectors and that it's a big difference to when they flew  it without the protectors...

Overall the color is nice - but no need to increase price in my opinion..

.                                                 IMG_5493.JPG
2017-9-2
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Thank You for sharing.
2017-9-2
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks awesome!
2017-9-2
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Think the colour looks fantastic. Like it a lot!
2017-9-2
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

the color is nice, however my experience with silver colored plastics is they wear off unevenly with heavy use..  so day 1 it will look and feel amazing but few months down the road even without even crashing just going to have some worn down spots from areas that make a lot of contact.. start looking less and less nice..   i usually avoid silver plastic paints/coatings because of this, no matter how nice they look and feel one day down the road from heavy use it will wear unevenly and show it more then a lot of other colors..

as for new motors, hard to verify until we get the hardware to tear down..or someone does..i dont see any reason it needs new motors since motors will make little difference to the noise, the ESC is the noise generator if you will.. just incase people are unaware, the beeping from the drone itself at start up or resets doesn't come from an internal speaker/buzzer... it is the ESC using the motors like a speaker.... the way the ESC controls the motors is kinda noisy as it is right now, chopping on and off with square waves, the new ESC uses sine waves which isn't as harsh sounding.  now maybe arguement for new motors wasnt audio level its power draw, i would buy that argument...  it is possible DJI respun motors for extra efficiency..

2017-9-2
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I have read that the motors are new in a release by DJI so I'd bet that both the motors and ESCs are new. It makes sense that they be matched for an efficiency improvement (30 min vs 27 min flight time).
2017-9-2
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the impression.
2017-9-2
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Suspect price increase is due to new motors and R&D costs.
2017-9-2
Use props
fans732c5648
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162139 ft
United States

What is ESC?
2017-9-2
Use props
HellFire77
lvl.3
Flight distance : 390863 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I think it stands for Electronic Speed Controller ?
2017-9-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-9-2 11:45
I have read that the motors are new in a release by DJI so I'd bet that both the motors and ESCs are new. It makes sense that they be matched for an efficiency improvement (30 min vs 27 min flight time).

Please provide a link to the DJI release.  This is interesting, indeed.  
2017-9-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the pictures!
2017-9-3
Use props
Emma
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5635279 ft
  • >>>
France

hello ,

A small question , on the new Mavic , there is a sensor on the back on the platinium ?
2017-9-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-9-2 23:23
Please provide a link to the DJI release.  This is interesting, indeed.

If you click on compare on the dji.com purchase page to compare the platinum and original, you can see everything that changed.
2017-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules