Dark spot in pictures and videos, dust inside the camera ?
3217 7 2017-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jonathan Living
New
Flight distance : 4980 ft
France

I enjoyed about 15 flights with my spark with no problem ( apart from video lag on android device, up to 5 seconds ! a little better when obstacle avoidance is off )  

And then I remarked a dark spot in a video, slightly moving on the left side of the picture, I then inspected the stills pictures and remarked a dark spot also. Always at the same place in still pictures. (I think the spot is moving in video due to the digital stabilisation that move the used area of the sensor )

It looks like a dust on the sensor or inside the lens, I don’t see any dust or damage outside the camera and I never flew in dusty place.

This dark spot was not present on earlier pictures/videos and it’s now on every shot, very disappointed.

If it’s a particle inside the camera it should have been there from the beginning but outside of the optical path and so invisible and then moved on some occasion.

Is the camera dust proof ? With sealed lens and sensor compartment ? It should be so, since it’s a fixed lens.

Here are some pictures of a white sheet of paper to show you the spot that is large and clearly visible.
  And a picture of the camera.

Did some of you ever experienced this problem on spark ?

What to do to correct this ?

White sheet of paper, dark spot visible

White sheet of paper, dark spot visible

White sheet of paper, dark spot visible 2

White sheet of paper, dark spot visible 2

Picture of the camera, nothing abnormal visible

Picture of the camera, nothing abnormal visible
2017-9-2
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks like dust on the sensor, like I have with my DSLR on a regular basis.
I don't think there is an easy way to get it off.
Other than DJI service.
2017-9-3
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Looks like dust. DJI Service is the only way to get it fixed
2017-9-3
Use props
Jonathan Living
New
Flight distance : 4980 ft
France

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-3 04:03
Looks like dust. DJI Service is the only way to get it fixed

Yes it definitely look like a dust on sensor, luckily I was able to (temporary?) fixe it :

I made gentle (but with some speed) knock with a finger nail under the camera after having locked the gimbal in place by placing a bloc of post-it above the camera( in the space between the spark body and the camera)

It was apparently enough to move the dust out of the sensor, it’s no more visible in pictures.
I even repeated the operation in other direction to see if the dust come back easily, but it didn’t . So I hope this dust will be kind enough to stay where it’s,
but the risk exist that it’ll one day want to travel again to an unwanted place.

Should I anyway ask to DJI service to change my camera before the spark is out of warranty ?

No more dust visible

No more dust visible

Moving the dust outside the sensor

Moving the dust outside the sensor
2017-9-3
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Jonathan Living Posted at 2017-9-3 07:31
Yes it definitely look like a dust on sensor, luckily I was able to (temporary?) fixe it :

I made gentle (but with some speed) knock with a finger nail under the camera after having locked the gimbal in place by placing a bloc of post-it above the camera( in the space between the spark body and the camera)

Glad you thought to do that and that it fixed it!
2017-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Risky business
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Jonathan Living Posted at 2017-9-3 07:31

If I were you, I would send it in for diagnosis if I have the time. Anyway, glad you fixed it.
2017-9-4
Use props
Jtaxel
New
United States

I just bought a mavic mini 2, it was fine then one day i shot some video and came back and looked at the video and noticed it. I did have to wipe the front glass of the camera with some pressure, not a lot a lot, but some. and it did remove. I couldn't see anything under a magnifying glass, but the video showed it just like yours.
2021-1-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules