Serious help wanted... too bright outside!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I love my phantom.   But in full sunlight, even with the extra sun guard, I find it almost too bright to see my screen and it is too bright to see everything quickly.  What do you folks do?  I feel like I need to alway fly near sunrise and sunset but I miss out on awesome bright shots.   Thoughts and suggestions?  It really is bad for me.  
2017-9-2
Use props
guardcim23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 685374 ft
United States

Look into DJI crystalsky . It cost  but it helped me on bright days
2017-9-2
Use props
Keith Thompson
lvl.3

United States

Is your resolution on your smart device set to the brightest setting or is it set for "auto" brightness mode?  I too have that screenguard, and what it does to my iPhone is tells it "its too dark out", so the iPhone darkens the screen.  When I remove it from auto adjust brightness, it stays at the brightness setting I set it at.
2017-9-2
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You may want to try a set of goggles.  Even a cheap pair of Google Cardboard style goggles will provide with an awesome viewing experience.  In fact, as someone who actually has 3 or 4  sets  from cheap to expensive, I find myself using the google goggle type setup most often.  VRBox, 25.00 on ebay.  
2017-9-2
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha MrRobert,

Is there shade near by?  I always look for shade before I fly.  I even have a little beach chair with a sunshade on it.  And like Kneepuck says, goggles are great.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I suggest using a monitor hood. http://store.dji.com/product/ins ... onitor-hood-tablets or http://store.dji.com/product/ins ... r-hood-smartphones.
Also, Crystalsky is a good choice.
2017-9-3
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

RE: I feel like I need to alway fly near sunrise and sunset

Sunrise and sunset are when you get the best lighting conditions, plan your days to fly at those times
2017-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't fly while standing in direct sunlight even with a sunshade and max brightness tablet, etc.  It's just no fun because it's so hard to see the screen.  I will find some shade and stand there and fly.  If I do fly in the sun, I'll fly it old school and ignore the tablet or not even connect it.
2017-9-3
Use props
Rvrrat14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

I use an IPad Air 2.   Big and catches lots of sun!   I made a sunshade from a stiff folder.   Cut it in half, bent the top down about 2 inches and it goes in remote cradle behind Ipad.   Works good for free!  I also try and find shade or position my AO in favor of better screen viewing.   
2017-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What phone / tab are you using?
2017-9-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

As simple as it sounds, it's very effective, stand in the shade..
2017-9-3
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-3 02:51
I don't fly while standing in direct sunlight even with a sunshade and max brightness tablet, etc.  It's just no fun because it's so hard to see the screen.  I will find some shade and stand there and fly.  If I do fly in the sun, I'll fly it old school and ignore the tablet or not even connect it.

I thought the new firmware required you to use a tablet/phone so that you can fly beyond 30m; i.e. no old school flying really.
2017-9-3
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

If you are using a iPad ... then try a pair of polarized sunglasses when the screen is in a horizontal position you will be amazed at what you can see in bright sun light... Let me know if you try this.
2017-9-3
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

guardcim23 Posted at 2017-9-2 20:06
Look into DJI crystalsky . It cost  but it helped me on bright days

Looks cool but the cost... Ouch!  I will have to save for that one
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Keith Thompson Posted at 2017-9-2 20:23
Is your resolution on your smart device set to the brightest setting or is it set for "auto" brightness mode?  I too have that screenguard, and what it does to my iPhone is tells it "its too dark out", so the iPhone darkens the screen.  When I remove it from auto adjust brightness, it stays at the brightness setting I set it at.

I will verify.... I use an Otterbox for my iPhone, I think I will remove it... Thanks for your input
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-2 21:46
You may want to try a set of goggles.  Even a cheap pair of Google Cardboard style goggles will provide with an awesome viewing experience.  In fact, as someone who actually has 3 or 4  sets  from cheap to expensive, I find myself using the google goggle type setup most often.  VRBox, 25.00 on ebay.

Thanks for the reply.... I have never seen these before... interesting.... I use a lot of the functions on the screen so I will have to plan ahead and not change any settings once the flight starts... but this looks interesting.... Thanks....
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-3 00:44
Aloha MrRobert,

Is there shade near by?  I always look for shade before I fly.  I even have a little beach chair with a sunshade on it.  And like Kneepuck says, goggles are great.

I always look for shade.... but I was on top a hill without any.... I also will start wearing darker shirts, if I wear a bright shirt it only helps to reflect the sun.  I appreciate your comment.... sorry I was off the forum for a day or two....
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-3 00:54
I suggest using a monitor hood. http://store.dji.com/product/inspire1-phantom-3-remote-controller-monitor-hood-tablets or http://store.dji.com/product/inspire1-phantom-3-remote-controller-monitor-hood-smartphones.
Also, Crystalsky is a good choice.

I should have been more clear... I already use this... and it does help... but it just doesn't seem to be enough... thanks though!
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-9-3 01:07
Sunrise and sunset are when you get the best lighting conditions, plan your days to fly at those times

Agreed... soft light... orange glow... it's great... but I do want to get some athletic shots that are in full sunlight.  I need to learn my craft more.
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-3 02:51

Yeah... I agree... I haven't had the guts to fly without my monitor, but if I am not doing photo work that may be what I end up doing.... Thanks for the comment... and sorry I didn't reply back faster.
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Rvrrat14 Posted at 2017-9-3 02:53
I use an IPad Air 2.   Big and catches lots of sun!   I made a sunshade from a stiff folder.   Cut it in half, bent the top down about 2 inches and it goes in remote cradle behind Ipad.   Works good for free!  I also try and find shade or position my AO in favor of better screen viewing.

I use my iPhone 6... I have an iPad but it's JUST A TINY BIT TOO BIG for the remote.... I could set up a table and do it like that... and I might try it... but that is just a little more stuff than I normally want to bring.... but, if I am doing an important day shoot... it shouldn't be too much.... I just haven't tried it yet.... Thanks for the input... sorry I was off the forum for a few days.  
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-3 03:14
What phone / tab are you using?

Ipone 6 ... with an Otterbox case... I will take the case off for the next flight....
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-3 03:46
As simple as it sounds, it's very effective, stand in the shade..

Oh yeah... every chance I get.... I am thinking of getting something to make my own shade..... Nothing complex.... just something.... The crystal sky looks great, but I really don't want to throw down another $500... Thanks for your comment.... I agree with you.
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

RMJovo Posted at 2017-9-3 05:25
If you are using a iPad ... then try a pair of polarized sunglasses when the screen is in a horizontal position you will be amazed at what you can see in bright sun light... Let me know if you try this.

Really!   I had no idea.... I will have to try this one out.... It might take me a bit to get the glasses, but this is a cool hack I would have NEVER thought of!  
2017-9-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-5 08:12
Oh yeah... every chance I get.... I am thinking of getting something to make my own shade..... Nothing complex.... just something.... The crystal sky looks great, but I really don't want to throw down another $500... Thanks for your comment.... I agree with you.

Contrary to popular belief, you can fly your quads while sitting  inside a vehicle (shade) I've done this many times. You might lose a little range but works great if you fly within line of sight....
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-9-5 08:36
Contrary to popular belief, you can fly your quads while sitting  inside a vehicle (shade) I've done this many times. You might lose a little range but works great if you fly within line of sight....

I am a TOTAL chicken when it comes to distance.... They say the range is up to 7Km.... I think I hit 1 Km once... usually my am around 400 - 600 meters as my distance from home....
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-5 08:11
Ipone 6 ... with an Otterbox case... I will take the case off for the next flight....

Maybe the casing is blocking the sensor for screen brightness?
Or did you set it to maximum by hand?
2017-9-5
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 09:38
Maybe the casing is blocking the sensor for screen brightness?
Or did you set it to maximum by hand?

I "adjusted" it... but I need to be more aware if it's automatically re-adjusting or not... I don't want that, but I didn't verify.  I will next time.  
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-5 11:05
I "adjusted" it... but I need to be more aware if it's automatically re-adjusting or not... I don't want that, but I didn't verify.  I will next time.

Let me know!
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can disable auto brightness in the settings.
And there seems to be some other settings that might be helpful.
https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-t ... phone-6-and-6-plus/
2017-9-5
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-5 08:05
I always look for shade.... but I was on top a hill without any.... I also will start wearing darker shirts, if I wear a bright shirt it only helps to reflect the sun.  I appreciate your comment.... sorry I was off the forum for a day or two....

Aloha MrRobert,

Yes, I also wear dark shirts.  Good you caught that one!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-6
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-2 21:46

Is this what you were referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Cardboard ... ords=google+goggles

2017-9-7
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-7 07:33
Is this what you were referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Cardboard-Topmaxions-Virtual-Reality-Compatible/dp/B01C2PA0KK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504798564&sr=8-1&keywords=google+goggles

Well, the set I have are called VRBox, and they are made of plastic, so look a lot better than those, but essentially, yes.  The VRBox set are 25.00.  Much more durable, and a nice field of view.  Since a lot of the camera controls are on the controller, it works pretty well for me.
2017-9-7
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-7 16:19
Well, the set I have are called VRBox, and they are made of plastic, so look a lot better than those, but essentially, yes.  The VRBox set are 25.00.  Much more durable, and a nice field of view.  Since a lot of the camera controls are on the controller, it works pretty well for me.

I shouldn't be this nervous, but these googles work with DJI GO?  No other app?  I was about to order it last night, but then I didn't think the app would work.... (just need some reassurance....)
2017-9-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-8 07:30
I shouldn't be this nervous, but these googles work with DJI GO?  No other app?  I was about to order it last night, but then I didn't think the app would work.... (just need some reassurance....)

Ah, that is an issue if you wish to use only the Go app  I use them with Litchi.  I don't think the Go app has VR support yet, but I could be wrong.  I rarely use the Go app.
2017-9-8
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-9-8 11:29
Ah, that is an issue if you wish to use only the Go app  I use them with Litchi.  I don't think the Go app has VR support yet, but I could be wrong.  I rarely use the Go app.

... uh.... yeah..... haven't tried Litchi...... sigh... one step at a time.... But thanks for the input...
2017-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules