About flying inside over water (pool)
2095 11 2015-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m.delfeld
lvl.2
Belgium

I am using my Inspire 1 since a small 2 month.
I have bee asked to take some images (video) inside a private pool. I had no GPS signal!

Knowing about manual info, I was a bit anxious to simply try that kind of flight. So I tried closing the closing the flap.

This flap was a little bit under the water. When the flap was closed we had +/- 2 cm on the top of the flap. The flap itself was white with separation each 5 cm

I tried (with high precautions) a flight using these conditions. I putted the Insipre1 on the side of the pool where tiles were placed. Flying at 10cm high along the border, I was having all positioning control.

Then I slide a bit upon the pool and it's white flap. Practically immediately, the Inspire1 change it's fight orientation and become amost instable.

After several trials, I got always this kind of behaviour. And stop this expirience!

Does somebody has any experience about this king of flight?
Do you find this normal? Can't we do something to keep a better stability?
Thanks by advance

Michel
2015-4-1
Use props
mikegil
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32730 ft
United Kingdom

I would love to help but I have no idea what your on about
2015-4-1
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Michel:
I am having a problem understanding your question. White flap?? Under water??. The only thing that I can understand is that indoors you do not have GPS. You have to fly in ATTI Mode. In other words, manual flying.
2015-4-1
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1213051 ft
United Kingdom

I don't quite get it either but I think it boils down to flying over a solid surface then flying over water?  Even if there's a solid surface under the water?
2015-4-1
Use props
markaguille
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I think he means the pool cover. If it is under even a few mm of water, the sensors will pickup the surface of the water, not whats underneath. i think the best way to fly there is in atti mode.
2015-4-1
Use props
m.delfeld
lvl.2
Belgium

Many thanks for your fast reaction speed.
Wel would you please excuse me, As I am not english speaking, my written one may be,from far, not correct.
This said, I try to be more accurate: I have been asked to make some sequence flying over a pool, inside a building.
This pool is inside a construction so that there is no GPS signal!

Before making these sequences I made one trial:
I closed the pool cover. This cover is white with 5 cm wide elements so that when the cover is closed there are regular spaced lines visible along the cover.
This cover float on the water so that it stays +/- 4cm of water over the cover.
This for the place where I have to fly.

I started the fly from the side of the pool. At that time, no problem I had a complete control of the drone.
Then I went with the drone over the cover, no touching it.
After a few seconds, the drone start to slide on the left without being driven by my self.

My questions remains the same:
Does somebody has the experience to fly over water in a place where there is no GPS connection?
Does somebody has a suggestion about how to better control the drone?
2015-4-2
Use props
m.delfeld
lvl.2
Belgium

This said,
I agree with you, the ATTI mode wil be the solution!
2015-4-2
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

m.delfeld Posted at 2015-4-2 20:38
This said,
I agree with you, the ATTI mode wil be the solution!

That is my recommendation as well and my explanation would be that the vision+sonar (OPTI) sensors under the drone will not work well with certain surfaces, thus you should NOT use them. ATTI will not use GPS or OPTI data, thus not trying to keep your drone in the same XY location. It will though try to maintain its altitude (barometer readings), so should not be difficult at all to fly ATTI indoors. I assume you don't have much airflow / wind in that location, change the RC switch to ATTI flight mode (middle position) and stay at safe distance from walls and potential high-interference panels / wiring. Let us know how it handles the ATTI in your environment.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-4-2
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

m.delfeld Posted at 2015-4-2 20:35
Many thanks for your fast reaction speed.
Wel would you please excuse me, As I am not english speaki ...

This is where you are misstaking ...

You didn't have control over the inspire ... it where able to control it self with the "sonar thingy" ...
It's when the drone "looses" the censors that YOU are in "control" ... And this is what you need to practise to be able to master this situation ...

When it starts to "float" you should use your sticks (very gently) to push it in the direction you want it to go ...
2015-4-2
Use props
m.delfeld
lvl.2
Belgium

w1der Posted at 2015-4-2 22:49
This is where you are misstaking ...

You didn't have control over the inspire ... it where able  ...

Thanks w1der, I know, and I know to that I am not yet a master in that case. But it's coming......
Anyway, i am still wondering why the drone made such fast movement. Since then, I tried a loft of time in a similar situation and didn't get that behavior!
2015-4-16
Use props
joekeantang
lvl.4

United States

I agree with Bornish, flying indoors with no wind will be as easy as if you where flying with GPS using ATTI. I am sure that the reason of the Drift was cause by the sensor not recognizing the type of surface on which you where flying. Just go slow on it and you can always speed up the video on post-production.
2015-4-16
Use props
m.delfeld
lvl.2
Belgium

That's correct Joekeantang, This more probably du to the water that was in fact moving a bit
2015-4-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules