Can you zoom in on the camera
23194 31 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheKJ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 344085 ft
United Kingdom

Hello is it possible to zoom in when takeing shots or dji have not made a simple zoom function lol ???
2017-9-3
Use props
Captain Whitefo
lvl.3

United States

NO.  But you can move the drone forwards and backwards to adjust the size of frame of what you are fllming.  The other way is in post production, using "ken burns".  I don't know what software you use, but i use a Mac with iMovie.  (in iMovie, the ken burn edit feature is located under the "crop" icon in the editing menu.)  Ken burns you crop the size of the beginning and crop the size of the end of the video clip.  so if the beginning crop is larger than the ending crop, you zoom in.  If the beginning crop is smaller than the ending crop, you zoom out.  But keep in mind, when you crop a picture or video too much, you can lose some of the resolution or quality of the photo/video.  I hope that helps.
2017-9-3
Use props
TheKJ
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Captain Whitefo Posted at 2017-9-3 07:30
NO.  But you can move the drone forwards and backwards to adjust the size of frame of what you are fllming.  The other way is in post production, using "ken burns".  I don't know what software you use, but i use a Mac with iMovie.  (in iMovie, the ken burn edit feature is located under the "crop" icon in the editing menu.)  Ken burns you crop the size of the beginning and crop the size of the end of the video clip.  so if the beginning crop is larger than the ending crop, you zoom in.  If the beginning crop is smaller than the ending crop, you zoom out.  But keep in mind, when you crop a picture or video too much, you can lose some of the resolution or quality of the photo/video.  I hope that helps.

I use All Adobe Premiere Pro 2017 Its easy would DJI add it ? Or naw
2017-9-3
Use props
Captain Whitefo
lvl.3

United States

TheKJ Posted at 2017-9-3 07:46

Uh... I've been a Mac user for a long time now.  Its been a decade since I used Adobe Premier, but I assume if you're transferring your videos via Mp4 or MOV files, you should have no problem editing them.
2017-9-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheKJ Posted at 2017-9-3 07:46

Aloha KJ,

Yes, it is possible with the iOS version of DJI GO 4.  It is a digital zoom, just like a tablet.  Spread your fingers to zoom in and bring them together to zoom out afterward.  They may have added it to the Android version, but I would have to check again.  It is digital though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Captain Whitefo Posted at 2017-9-3 08:52
Uh... I've been a Mac user for a long time now.  Its been a decade since I used Adobe Premier, but I assume if you're transferring your videos via Mp4 or MOV files, you should have no problem editing them.

Aloha Whitey,

See my post #5.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-3
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

would be a great feature to be able to zoom in from the camera.  I could see where there may be issues with that feature though as many folks fear Drones overhead and instantly associate the use with spying. I have encountered this on several occasions where people come up to me and ask if I'm spying on someone, they assume the camera is capable zooming in and seeing things people are doing. every instance I reveal what I'm looking at from 390ft up I show them my screen so they can see people look like ants from the height and it is difficult to see what a person is doing. the other issue is when zooming in movement is magnified these drones don't hold rock steady in the air and even though the gimbal does a great job at stabilizing the camera, under magnification any movement is bad.
2017-9-3
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-3 17:48
Aloha Whitey,

See my post #5.

As I said before, I'm a Mac user.  I'm not familiar with Adobe products.
2017-9-3
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-3 18:22
As I said before, I'm a Mac user.  I'm not familiar with Adobe products.

Aloha Whitey,

Adobe, is that what they make houses out of?  I use wood or CMU myself.  I am talking about digital zoom with the DJI GO 4 app.  Get up high in the air and do the finger thing and you get up to 2X zoom, but I only know it works on iOS devices.  It is rumored to be on Android devices soon or maybe already.  I have not tried it since my nVidia Shield K1 was stolen a couple weeks ago.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-3
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

For sure no 'real' zoom as the lens has fixed focal length.
Digital is pretty useless, because of the resolution you loose and you can apply that same 'zoom' in post also.
Flying towards your subject is the best thing, although that does not give the 'compressed' look as a true zoom will do (no, you won't get that in post or with digital zoom either).
So in short, you will have to wait for DJI to come up with a Osmo X5+ solution on a mavic etc.
2017-9-4
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-3 23:36
Aloha Whitey,

Adobe, is that what they make houses out of?  I use wood or CMU myself.  I am talking about digital zoom with the DJI GO 4 app.  Get up high in the air and do the finger thing and you get up to 2X zoom, but I only know it works on iOS devices.  It is rumored to be on Android devices soon or maybe already.  I have not tried it since my nVidia Shield K1 was stolen a couple weeks ago.

Maraming salamat po para putting me in my place.  -Yes, I can mix languages that you don't know too.  I can probably be good at insulting people and coat it with sarcasm so as to not sound like an insult if I practiced really hard.  But then again, I'm not here to talk about slump when it comes to pouring down cells.  -Yes, I actually did build houses for a living.  
So if you want to tell me that Adobe works with Mac computers, just say so.  Unless you're on heavy behavioral altering medication, there's really no reason to insult people for not knowing everything about everything.  Well, now that I feel stupid, I'll just turn around and go back to bed.  I mean whats the point in starting the day with a purpose if someone else's purpose is to slam you as soon as you get up?
Ano bayan bakit kano...
2017-9-4
Use props
TheKJ
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-3 17:47
Aloha KJ,

Yes, it is possible with the iOS version of DJI GO 4.  It is a digital zoom, just like a tablet.  Spread your fingers to zoom in and bring them together to zoom out afterward.  They may have added it to the Android version, but I would have to check again.  It is digital though.

I'm Using the Phantom 4 Pro Plus Controller Build in ? So idk lol It should be built in as The Zen-muse And Industrial drone's have zoom in ;(
2017-9-4
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-4 03:38
Maraming salamat po para putting me in my place.  -Yes, I can mix languages that you don't know too.  I can probably be good at insulting people and coat it with sarcasm so as to not sound like an insult if I practiced really hard.  But then again, I'm not here to talk about slump when it comes to pouring down cells.  -Yes, I actually did build houses for a living.  
So if you want to tell me that Adobe works with Mac computers, just say so.  Unless you're on heavy behavioral altering medication, there's really no reason to insult people for not knowing everything about everything.  Well, now that I feel stupid, I'll just turn around and go back to bed.  I mean whats the point in starting the day with a purpose if someone else's purpose is to slam you as soon as you get up?
Ano bayan bakit kano...

Did he just call you "whitey"???  That's so RACIST!  You should report him.
Honestly, if you have a newer Macbook or iMac, iMovie will do just fine.  I've spent money on the Adobe software, and to be honest if you're not shooting for television or the silver screen, you'll do just fine with iMovie's ken burn effects.
As for the camera itself on the P4P, compared to other small cameras that have zooming capabilities, I wouldn't recommend DJI to change what they have.  
2017-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-4 03:38
Ano bayan bakit kano...

Aloha Cap,

My sincerest apologies if I have insulted you.  My intent was self-deprecation.   I do not do Mac or Apple, so I have no idea about Adobe.  Bad enough I have to use Acrobat to read .pdf files.  My comment was intended as a joke on my ignorance about Apple products so bad joke obviously.  Again, my apologies.  

You are making good contributions to the Forum, so the last thing I want to do is alienate you.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

TheKJ Posted at 2017-9-4 03:40
I'm Using the Phantom 4 Pro Plus Controller Build in ? So idk lol It should be built in as The Zen-muse And Industrial drone's have zoom in ;(

Aloha KJ,

The P4 Pro+ (plus) is Android based.  Can you get it to zoom?  There may have been a firmware update that allows it on Android but I have not confirmed it.  The digital zoom is on iOS devices so far as I know but I do not use iOS devices.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-9-4
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Cetacean Posted at 2017-9-4 14:29
Aloha Cap,

My sincerest apologies if I have insulted you.  My intent was self-deprecation.   I do not do Mac or Apple, so I have no idea about Adobe.  Bad enough I have to use Acrobat to read .pdf files.  My comment was intended as a joke on my ignorance about Apple products so bad joke obviously.  Again, my apologies.  

Thank you for clarifying that.  I was a bit confused how you responded.  
2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The camera of Phantom 4 Pro does not support zoom in or out.
2017-9-4
Use props
FLIDAHO
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2010249 ft
United States

I'm glad to see Cetacean and Capt Whitefoot come to an understanding. Sometimes things we say are difficult to express in text. I respect you both for being cool and appreciate that you are solid members of this forum. I don't often jump in with comments but just felt the "need" to say this! Take care.
Dallas
2017-9-6
Use props
TheKJ
lvl.3
United Kingdom

FLIDAHO Posted at 2017-9-6 20:52
I'm glad to see Cetacean and Capt Whitefoot come to an understanding. Sometimes things we say are difficult to express in text. I respect you both for being cool and appreciate that you are solid members of this forum. I don't often jump in with comments but just felt the "need" to say this! Take care.
Dallas

Hmmm (Solid Members)
2017-9-7
Use props
Genghis9
First Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

FLIDAHO Posted at 2017-9-6 20:52
Dallas

You are so correct, and I could not agree more.  We loose so much in just using text to communicate.  It lacks voice tone, inflection, body language, and facial expression.  All things we grow up learning how to communicate with our fellow man.  Folks here in the forum forget this or do not realize it.  
When here communicating with others it is always best to stick to the topic and take extra time to explain things and your comments.  It's not always as simple as that, but if everyone took these concepts in to account it would help.  {:4_177:}
2017-9-7
Use props
N4LDG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115 ft
United States

Pretty sad... the Mavic has a zoom feature and it works well.  So why wouldn't DJI add zoom to the Phantom 4 Pro? Moving the drone back and forth may defeat the purpose for use.
2018-1-1
Use props
N4LDG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-4 20:29
The camera of Phantom 4 Pro does not support zoom in or out.

But the Mavic has zoom, and it works well.  So why not the P4P?
2018-1-1
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

N4LDG Posted at 2018-1-1 20:12
But the Mavic has zoom, and it works well.  So why not the P4P?

Because the Mavic is a toy, the P4 Pro is intended for serious camera people.
2018-1-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My mates Mavic using IOS has a zoom up to 2 or 4x i think it is, i cannot see why the P4P cannot have this also and on android, there are times when the zoom can be useful
2018-1-1
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

N4LDG Posted at 2018-1-1 20:11
Pretty sad... the Mavic has a zoom feature and it works well.  So why wouldn't DJI add zoom to the Phantom 4 Pro? Moving the drone back and forth may defeat the purpose for use.

The Mavic doesn't have zoom.
It gives you "digital zoom which isn't zoom at all.
It's a con trick.
Digital zoom simply cuts off the edges of your image and throws them away.
You can do that yourself in Photoshop if you want to.
2018-1-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I have a Nikon D800 with 80-400mm lens. Hahaha
Talk about looking at you from the next block down... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-1-1
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had the Canon 70D with the Tamron 16-300mm that was a great all round setup, but i got shot so i could get the P4P

The Mavic does have a zoom, digital or optical, its still called zoom, i have seen it working and i liked it and it would be a nice addition to the P4P, even if i didnt use it to take photos or video, i would still like the option because in the near future i will be assisting in SAR for dogs in my local area and anything that can aid this in flight can only be an advantage
2018-1-1
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-1-1 22:27
I have a Nikon D800 with 80-400mm lens. Hahaha
Talk about looking at you from the next block down... ;-)

I see youuuuu
with a 1440 mm Nikon zooooom
2018-1-2
Use props
AlanHd
First Officer
Flight distance : 797365 ft
United Kingdom

15matjan Posted at 2018-1-2 03:24
I see youuuuu

Now I’ve got lens envy. How’s it perform at the top end.
2018-1-2
Use props
15matjan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1158258 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Does not work with P4P+ , perhaps in a future FW update
2018-1-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

iOS DJI Go 4 used with the P4 also has the digital zoom option (X2), but only up to and including the 2.7k resolution. It does not function in 4k.
2018-1-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

15matjan Posted at 2018-1-2 03:24
I see youuuuu

Hahaha, yes. Here's looking at you...

RedHotPoker
2018-1-2