Prop came off, then Mavic fell into the river. Warranty cover this?
12Next >
3491 41 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sublight
lvl.1
Flight distance : 148661 ft
United States

I was flying and apparently my prop came off, then it dropped into the river.  Will the warranty cover this?

2017-9-3
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you recover the Mavic?
2017-9-3
Use props
Sublight
lvl.1
United States

Nope its at the bottom of the river.
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

How can a propeller spontaneously come off without the Mavic first hitting something?
2017-9-3
Use props
Sublight
lvl.1
United States

AND i cant find my flight log.  It diddnt sync it to my phone.
2017-9-3
Use props
Sublight
lvl.1
United States

I was hoovering when it came off
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Sublight Posted at 2017-9-3 13:30
AND i cant find my flight log.  It diddnt sync it to my phone.

Will the warranty cover this?

Maybe; it will if you can convince DJI that the Mavic is lost and that it wasn't your fault. But I don't think you'll be able to convince them (or anybody else) of either one without a flight log.

i can't find my flight log. It diddnt sync it to my phone.

You may want to check again. Even with a flight log it's not certain you'd get a free warranty replacement from DJI, and without one I think it's very unlikely that they'll be inclined to replace it.
2017-9-3
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-3 13:25
How can a propeller spontaneously come off without the Mavic first hitting something?

Exactly or installed incorrectly is another possibility.

Without flight record, chances are slim to none.
2017-9-3
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
United States

how many flights did you have with the props because pass 200 flights they become flimsy and they tend to whip around and this you could tell when you land the craft if they are kind of not straight that means its time to change the props they have an extended life time limitation....
2017-9-3
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311358 ft
United States

I had a spontaneous failure that I thought may have been a defective prop.  I lost the MP in the ocean and was unable to recover it.  I had the video and the flight log for DJI and the replaced it for free.  http://forum.dji.com/thread-94147-1-1.html
2017-9-3
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

part of every experienced pilots preflight checks should always include checking the props before take off and after landing.  tug right on the connection then hold motor and try to spin the prop either way without pressing down, the the prop lift  or spins then check see if teeth are lacking or missing and replace or remount..
2017-9-3
Use props
Sublight
lvl.1
United States

I see that on my phone I have a flight record but can't find it with the computer.  It hovered then flew away then fell.  I synchronized it so hopefully they have it.
2017-9-3
Use props
Mavic Marauder
lvl.1
United States

Damn that sucks I have to make sure I do a thorough pre and post flight check from now on.  I really try not to hover over water for this very reason.  Best of luck to you on that replacement.  I take it you must of had the insurance
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sublight, we are sorry for the crash accident, please contact our support to start a ticket and provide your DJI account and accident date, our data analysis team will try their best to analyze the reason of the accident and then offer proper resolution. Thanks.
2017-9-3
Use props
ephektz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 94534 ft
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-3 15:35
part of every experienced pilots preflight checks should always include checking the props before take off and after landing.  tug right on the connection then hold motor and try to spin the prop either way without pressing down, the the prop lift  or spins then check see if teeth are lacking or missing and replace or remount..

Exactly this. A precheck at least before the initial battery takes two minutes. Arms, motors, and propellers. Especially the prop hub and the pivots on the individual blades. If anything seems sketchy, replace them.
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Sublight Posted at 2017-9-3 14:06
I was hoovering when it came off

You were hoovering your Mavic?
That explains everything...
2017-9-4
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Sportbike_Pilot Posted at 2017-9-3 14:59
Exactly or installed incorrectly is another possibility.

Without flight record, chances are slim to none.

I think it would be difficult to install a Mavic propeller incorrectly. It should come off right at take off.

When I crashed my Mavic into a tree a couple of weeks ago, on one propeller one of those three hooks came off, but I simply glued it back in place using Superglue.
The other propellers were torn, but I also glued them using Superglue.
These repairs were solid as rock, as I was even able to fly my Mavic in Sport Mode with all 4 repaired propellers.
This goes to show that these Mavic propellers can take plenty of punishment!
N.B.: I have since then replaced all 4 propellers with new ones on my Mavic.
2017-9-4
Use props
Sublight
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-3 19:34
Sublight, we are sorry for the crash accident, please contact our support to start a ticket and provide your DJI account and accident date, our data analysis team will try their best to analyze the reason of the accident and then offer proper resolution. Thanks.

Thank you for the help.  I started a case, and sent a email to support@dji.com  

It wants me to send in the drone but the drone is at the bottom of the river.  I sent the email stating this.  
Thank you again.  
2017-9-6
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

U super glued your props back together marsan! Oh boy
2017-9-6
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-6 19:23
U super glued your props back together marsan! Oh boy

Please, no misunderstanding!
Three of the four propellers were torn/cracked across the thin side, but not snapped or broken into two pieces.
I merely put some Superglue into the cracks and let the glue dry, and then sanded the repair down smoothly using 1500 grain sandpaper.
The hook, which was broken off, was more of a concern - see photo -, but a drop of Superglue also mended this one.

So, when the OP of this thread claims that one of his Mavic's propellers simply came off, his story makes me frown!

20170812_121037-2.jpg
2017-9-7
Use props
J.T.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2076637 ft
Italy

Carefull with the super glue MARSAN ther is a lot of force in the propeller that maybe in some flight manuvers the glue can't handle.... Anyway could be a momentary solution to test with very small flight the integrity of all other system waiting for the new propeller...
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

J.T. Posted at 2017-9-7 02:45
Carefull with the super glue MARSAN ther is a lot of force in the propeller that maybe in some flight manuvers the glue can't handle.... Anyway could be a momentary solution to test with very small flight the integrity of all other system waiting for the new propeller...

Please use the Reply button in the post when posting, otherwise your reply may get lost.
Did you read my post:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=863102
2017-9-7
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 03:28
Please use the Reply button in the post when posting, otherwise your reply may get lost.
Did you read my post:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=111675&pid=941916&fromuid=863102

I'd never chance flying with a glued propeller!
2017-9-7
Use props
Sebb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 02:38
Three of the four propellers were torn/cracked across the thin side, but not snapped or broken into two pieces.
I merely put some Superglue into the cracks and let the glue dry, and then sanded the repair down smoothly using 1500 grain sandpaper.

2 new props cost 8$...

that should not be too much to spend, when your Mavic is on the line = 900$
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Sebb Posted at 2017-9-7 05:25
2 new props cost 8$...

that should not be too much to spend, when your Mavic is on the line = 900$

Did you read my post to the very end?
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=863102
2017-9-7
Use props
Sebb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

yes, i especially noticed:
"These repairs were solid as rock, as I was even able to fly my Mavic in Sport Mode with all 4 repaired propellers."
read = instead of spending 16$ you put your 900$ mavic under maximum risky conditions.
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Sebb Posted at 2017-9-7 05:28
"These repairs were solid as rock, as I was even able to fly my Mavic in Sport Mode with all 4 repaired propellers."
read = instead of spending 16$ you put your 900$ mavic under maximum risky conditions.

It takes time for new propellers to be sent to my home.
In the meantime I was able to test the repair and above all, trust my own workmanship.
I was therefore taking a very calculated risk, and also: I still own a second Mavic ... and there are more of them at Media Markt.
As a matter of fact, I am more scared of the current DJI GO 4 version 4.1.8 (Android) and FW .1000.
2017-9-7
Use props
Dutchgixxer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 738084 ft
United Kingdom

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-7 02:38

I hope this is a joke
2017-9-7
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-4 00:33
I think it would be difficult to install a Mavic propeller incorrectly. It should come off right at take off.

When I crashed my Mavic into a tree a couple of weeks ago, on one propeller one of those three hooks came off, but I simply glued it back in place using Superglue.

I guess it depends on your definition of "difficult" but I disagree. The propellers can be twisted only part of the way so that the locking tabs aren't locked into place, allowing it to fly for a while until one or more propellers come off.

As for your superglue repair, that's your choice but I definitely wouldn't recommend that to anyone. If one of the tabs had gotten loose it could have caused the motor to seize even if the other two tabs remained in place.

So, when the OP of this thread claims that one of his Mavic's propellers simply came off, his story makes me frown!

I think a lot of people have the same reaction to your implication that superglue is a reasonable replacement for a new set of propellers. And yes, I read your post where you said you replaced them . . . eventually. Again, that's your choice but not something that should be recommended to or by anyone.
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-9-7 07:01

I guess it depends on your definition of "difficult" but I disagree. The propellers can be twisted only part of the way so that the locking tabs aren't locked into place, allowing it to fly for a while until one or more propellers come off.

There are examples on YouTube showing people doing their best to deliberately install the propellers incorrectly on the Mavic, proving that this does not work.

By mentioning my Mavic propeller repairs, I did not give any advice nor did I recommend that others should follow my example nor did I ask DJI for warranty.
After all, this is still my Mavic that I bought with my money.
2017-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

One thing we all know when flying quads is there are no redundancies when you lose a prop, to the OP this would not be the first prop to come off while hovering, there is a guy on here Jeebs he will tell you his story.
To those who dismiss your story,
Just think of how daft they're reply  was, they own 2 Mavics crash one repair with superglue fly it in sport mode because they are awaiting delivery of props, "DID HE FORGET HE HAD A SECOND MAVIC" and didn't need to be flying around with superglued props, or does he own 2 Mavics and only one set of props, the irony and stupidity of his answer to your question knows no bounds.
2017-9-7
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

^^^^^ hehe
2017-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Sebb Posted at 2017-9-7 05:28

Considering when he had 4 good ones he still managed to crash it into a tree. LMAO
2017-9-7
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

I don't want to belittle your excellent repair work, but was buying some new propellers before flying again not the best option here?
2017-9-7
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

MacGyver!!
2017-9-7
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Jenkins Posted at 2017-9-7 09:47
I don't want to belittle your excellent repair work, but was buying some new propellers before flying again not the best option here?

Space: the final frontier. These are the adventures of the Mavic pilot MARSAN. His continuing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new methods and new procedures, to boldly try what no one else has dared to test before.

In other words, I wanted to find out whether I can repair the Mavic's propellers and still be able to make the Mavic fly in all modes.

Mission accomplished!
2017-9-7
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Sublight Posted at 2017-9-6 19:17
Thank you for the help.  I started a case, and sent a email to   

It wants me to send in the drone but the drone is at the bottom of the river.  I sent the email stating this.  

Doesn't it give you warm fuzzy feelings about the investigation when you submit a ticket to DJI telling them your Mavic is at the bottom of the river and they reply back with "send us the drone to investigate"? lol
2017-9-7
Use props
Sublight
lvl.1
United States

UPDATE:  After some back and forth, DJI is sending me a new Mavic!
--
2017-10-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sublight Posted at 2017-10-20 07:54
UPDATE:  After some back and forth, DJI is sending me a new Mavic!
--

Awesome news, what did the logs tell you?
2017-10-20
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

"One thing we all know when flying quads is there are no redundancies when you lose a prop" Great Idea for the Next generation Mavic Platinum 2, redundancy something like the EHang 184 (Eight blades / 8 motors) !!

2017-10-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules