Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal Overload Error
21771 34 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0a7d5daf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17730 ft
Dominica

My Mavic has been giving me this gimbal overload error message while I'm flying. It happened once a few months ago when I was flying the video started shaking and I thought I was going to lose the drone! I reset the gimbal and IMU and it seems to work fine again. Then yesterday taking photos of my wife and me on honeymoon it started shaking randomly. I set her down right away and it worked fine for the next flight until today the error came up mid-flight again and I lost control of the gimbal and the footage was unusable. What does this error mean?? Why does it keep coming back?? Is there a definitive answer to this problem from DJI??? is this hardware or software issue??
2017-9-3
Use props
Haliaetus 1
New
Flight distance : 203963 ft
United States

I'm having unexplained problems with my gimbal, as well. Can't fly my Mavic. Remote has Sys Error Check App message and IMU seems to calibrate fine, but has error message as well. Curious if it's related to FW v1000 issues?
2017-9-3
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try calibrating the gimbal using DJI Assistant.
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Was there any impact damages on the drone or gimbal before? Please check the anti-drop hooks on the drone, refer to the tutorial below, and upgrade the firmware if needed. If you keep getting this notification, I suggest sending the drone in for an overall checking. You can report this case to our support support.us@dji.com first.
2017-9-4
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I believe this gimbal overload error is the witch of the MAVIC PRO.
2017-9-4
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-4 00:33
Was there any impact damages on the drone or gimbal before? Please check the anti-drop hooks on the drone, refer to the tutorial below, and upgrade the firmware if needed. If you keep getting this notification, I suggest sending the drone in for an overall checking. You can report this case to our support  first.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXekYjEJA8&index=12&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX&t=19s

Dear Thor,

Sincerely,

I would get all these disclaims to the technical support of DJI, because, I really believe that the problem is not on hardware. It is on software.
Most of all the pilots that is experiencing that issue never had a crash or a mistake on managing the gimbal.
I should consider a more effort from DJI on trying to solve this problem.
Thanks for your attention.
Cheers.
2017-9-4
Use props
fans0a7d5daf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17730 ft
United States

Thanks for the reply Thor.  It seems to be working again after several calibration fails at 31%, I   reset again and updated the firmware and it seems to be working. The problem tends to happen when I'm flying full speed and come to a stop. Camera flips up and starts to shake. The gimbal is intact and I've not had any crashes or hard landings. I'm gonna give it another try tomorrow
2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

I understand your opinion toward this error, but if the message persists all the time, and the gimbal doesn't work, it really needs to be sent in, coz there might still be other reasons which contribute it. Appreciate your understanding.
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans0a7d5daf Posted at 2017-9-4 19:08
Thanks for the reply Thor.  It seems to be working again after several calibration fails at 31%, I   reset again and updated the firmware and it seems to be working. The problem tends to happen when I'm flying full speed and come to a stop. Camera flips up and starts to shake. The gimbal is intact and I've not had any crashes or hard landings. I'm gonna give it another try tomorrow

Thanks for your feedback, if it only happens when you stop the drone at full speed, it could be normal because of the inertia, but I would look forward to your test, let me know if there is an update.
Besides, please kindly click the "Reply" button if you need to reply me so that I can get the reminder and can deal with it asap.
2017-9-5
Use props
fans5370f1e4
lvl.2
Ukraine

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-5 02:20
Thanks for your feedback, if it only happens when you stop the drone at full speed, it could be normal because of the inertia, but I would look forward to your test, let me know if there is an update.
Besides, please kindly click the "Reply" button if you need to reply me so that I can get the reminder and can deal with it asap.

Hi everyone,
I have the same problem here.
Since the last firmware, the camera remain facing the drone, I've tried to calibrate, but the calibrating remain and do not move from the 5%, and after 10 minutes or so, i got a pop up with, calibration failed.

I have the message, Motor overloaded, check the gimbal clamp, and sometimes the message is the camera is obstructed. The gimbal status is Restarting in the DJI go 4, but still not working at all.
I see that a lot of us got the same issue with this Mavic. Dunno what to do with this Mavic.

2017-9-12
Use props
djiuser_dZJPHUH
New
Portugal

Same problem here... sometimes it works fine, but after restart the gimbel overload comes back again. Never crashed, if the gimbal sometimes works and looks perfectly fine... it has to be a software problem... that's my guess.
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans5370f1e4 Posted at 2017-9-12 11:08
Hi everyone,
I have the same problem here.
Since the last firmware, the camera remain facing the drone, I've tried to calibrate, but the calibrating remain and do not move from the 5%, and after 10 minutes or so, i got a pop up with, calibration failed.

Please try to restart the drone for several times, if the issue persists, I would recommend sending it back for repair. Please contact support.eu@dji.com for a further help. Thank you for your understanding.
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

djiuser_dZJPHUH Posted at 2017-9-13 04:58
Same problem here... sometimes it works fine, but after restart the gimbel overload comes back again. Never crashed, if the gimbal sometimes works and looks perfectly fine... it has to be a software problem... that's my guess.

Please refer to my reply at 4#. And you can also try to move the gimbal to the central position, see if it helps. Thank you so much.
2017-9-14
Use props
fans2f78234b
New

Costa Rica

found any solutions?
2017-9-17
Use props
fans2f78234b
New

Costa Rica

I have the same problem with this new software update.
2017-9-17
Use props
djiuser_2S3jGnh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2088153 ft
Chile

My gimbl isn't working either after the firmware upgrade. The problem with the gimbl overload started during my flight! Ok, I must say months ago my drone crashed and I had hard landings. But the gibml isn't working after I upgraded the firmware and DURING my first flight after...
2018-1-28
Use props
Gregs77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 22451 ft
  • >>>
United States

Doc and Mr THor hello again. not sure what to think. i am getting same message , but mine did have a crash before it came on. i did an auto take off and it drifted into my garage and crashed at the 4 foot heigth, it seemed so minor. it broke the tips of 2 blades, but my gimbal if froze up from moving up or down. there is a screw inside that looks like it worked out but no way to tighten unless i take all apart.so i will call warranty in am. but prior to that was flying great. only other issue was 2 weeks ago had wireless interference warning on all flights       Greg
2018-1-29
Use props
AITNIMRA
lvl.1
Philippines

My Mavic Pro gimbal have the same issues after I performed gimbal calibration. I bet that this is not a hardware issue but more of software. Necer had any crashes prior to the occurrence of the problem and my Mavic just only have less than 5 hours flight time.
2018-4-30
Use props
balans007
lvl.2
Flight distance : 675082 ft
United States

I believe that this post on the DJI Mavic Pro Forum might shed some light on the Gimbal Motor Overload Error.  Let me present a question to everyone.  After flying your drones do you always install the plastic gimbal clamp?  I would always install my gimbal clamp after flying to protect the camera and gimbal.  After 5 months of flying, one day I went to fly and I got the Gimbal Motor Overload Error.  I had no crashes so I could not understand why I was getting this error.  I ended up replacing the gimbal / camera module to correct the problem and came to the conclusion that maybe installing the gimbal clamp after flying may have caused excessive ware on the camera ribbon cable.  
2018-12-23
Use props
djiuser_LeOkNE81A8XS
New

Australia

I have athe same problem but can’t not restart the drone
2018-12-26
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

djiuser_LeOkNE81A8XS Posted at 12-26 01:36
I have athe same problem but can’t not restart the drone

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. You mean you can't turn it off? What specific aircraft are you using? Did the drone experience any collision or incident prior to encountering this message? Please keep us posted on the latest progress. Thank you.
2018-12-26
Use props
Scott28
lvl.1
South Africa

if it says gimbal motor overload it can be 1 of 2 things
you need to replace your gimbal ribbon cable of you have to get a brand new gimbal
2018-12-28
Use props
fansd8270950
lvl.1
Réunion

hello,

Sorry to post here but I can't initiate a new thread (it keeps sending me back to forum guidelines) : I have a mavic pro that worked fine, next time I made a compass calibration, I forgot to put off the gimbal clamp, and now every time I light it on it says gimbal motor overload. But the gimbal still seems to work somehow : at startup, it rotates up and down and finally stay head toward the floor. I tried IMU calibration, compass calibration, but nothing changed.
2019-2-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansd8270950 Posted at 2-19 10:59
hello,

Sorry to post here but I can't initiate a new thread (it keeps sending me back to forum guidelines) : I have a mavic pro that worked fine, next time I made a compass calibration, I forgot to put off the gimbal clamp, and now every time I light it on it says gimbal motor overload. But the gimbal still seems to work somehow : at startup, it rotates up and down and finally stay head toward the floor. I tried IMU calibration, compass calibration, but nothing changed.

Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. The gimbal clamp should be removed prior to turn on the aircraft as the gimbal would do the self-check calibration. May we know if you manage to re-calibrate the gimbal? I would recommend refreshing the firmware of your aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2 then after using it, please re-calibrate the gimbal to see if there will be changes. You may refer to the link below for you to download the application. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress.

https://www.dji.com/mavic/downloads
2019-2-19
Use props
GroTToFlyeR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

djiuser_2S3jGnh Posted at 2018-1-28 21:12
My gimbl isn't working either after the firmware upgrade. The problem with the gimbl overload started during my flight! Ok, I must say months ago my drone crashed and I had hard landings. But the gibml isn't working after I upgraded the firmware and DURING my first flight after...

Maybe if you put different props on after crash, that cause shake and error
2019-2-19
Use props
fansd8270950
lvl.1
Réunion

DJI Tony Posted at 2-19 14:59
Hi, we're sorry to know about this situation. The gimbal clamp should be removed prior to turn on the aircraft as the gimbal would do the self-check calibration. May we know if you manage to re-calibrate the gimbal? I would recommend refreshing the firmware of your aircraft using the DJI Assistant 2 then after using it, please re-calibrate the gimbal to see if there will be changes. You may refer to the link below for you to download the application. Kindly keep us posted on the latest progress.

hello, thanks for your answer ! I updated the firmware (now 01.04.0500), and tried "auto calibrate gimbal". It stayed at 5% for maybe one minute, then I had a message "auto calibration failed". Other idea ?
2019-2-23
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansd8270950 Posted at 2-23 01:55
hello, thanks for your answer ! I updated the firmware (now 01.04.0500), and tried "auto calibrate gimbal". It stayed at 5% for maybe one minute, then I had a message "auto calibration failed". Other idea ?

Hi, thanks for the prompt reply. if the troubleshooting steps were exhausted and the situation persists, I would recommend contacting our support via the link below for further evaluation of the drone. Repair fee would depend on the warranty of the product and the outcome of the evaluation of your drone. Thank you for understanding.

www.dji.com/support
2019-2-24
Use props
Gator1130
lvl.1
Flight distance : 55213 ft
United States

I had this same problem on a Mavic Pro that sustained a very minor crash.  Everything actually worked okay after the crash but a few days later, I started getting the errors.  I went ahead and sent it into DJI and paid to have the drone repaired.  I was sent back a refurbished Mavic Pro and it made it about 30 days until I started getting the same errors and problems again.  This one has NEVER crashed or even had a hard landing.  It just started randomly doing this one day.  The only thing that would get it to work was to power on the drone with it turned sideways with the gimbal arm on the lower side (when sideways).  That worked for a couple of days but now I always get the error.  I went ahead and sent this one in and will now be on my 3rd Mavic Pro when the case is resolved.  This is obviously a known problem to DJI but they have not admitted fault as far as I can tell.  A simple Google search gives you an idea of how common it is.  My replacement is still under warranty but that does not make up for the week or so that I do not have use of my drone.  Very frustrating!!!

I do have one question, though.  Since both Mavic Pro's I have owned have had this issue, I do not even know what the gimbal and camera are supposed to do when powering up.  Both drones had the gimbal violently flipping all the way forward and left until it hits the stop point and then going backwards in the same violent fashion.  Is this normal or have I just had two defective drones?
2019-2-28
Use props
Lukasander
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10935 ft
Poland

Have solution, worked for my Mavic 2 Pro: Had the same problem "gimbal overloaded" after one flight. Nothing helped.

After manual inspection (moving gimbal in diferent directions i could feel some force while moving from left to right, half way was fine but the second half was harder to move.

Solution: After manual moving gimbal from left to right couple of times (yaw) the strange force is gone and gimbal is operatting normaly.

Do the same or sent quad to service.

Good luck

2019-3-1
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 283904 ft
Canada

Hello everyone

I have had the same problem today for the very first time. For no apparent reason, while coming down for a landing, I got the error message that the gimbal was overloaded. As I was recording my landing, the camera began to shake uncontrollably. My Mavic Pro is a replacement sent to me by DJI in April and it has never crashed or had a hard landing. I will perform the usual troubleshooting, calibrating the IMU even if it was done a few weeks ago, will calibrate the gimbal and see what happens. If it persists I will notify DJI support.
2019-8-1
Use props
SgtDannySgt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 283904 ft
Canada

Well after a IMU calibration.... out of 3 flights today, 2 had the gimbal error showing some shake in the video with one having the video at almost a 45 degree angle. Logging in a ticket with DJI support. Not impressed.
2019-8-4
Use props
fansa2f0a7e7
New

Hi, I have a Mavic Pro Platinum and recently crashed it on a boat. It give me this error message "Please check if the gimbal clamp has been removed"

After some youtube videos I figured it only need a gimbal ribbon cable replacement.

But even after the ribbon replacement the gimbal did not reset itself.

This is very frustrating, if I knew what was wrong with it I could fix it. Please point me in the right direction.

Thank you all.
2019-9-22
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

fansa2f0a7e7 Posted at 9-22 20:30
Hi, I have a Mavic Pro Platinum and recently crashed it on a boat. It give me this error message "Please check if the gimbal clamp has been removed"
[view_image][view_image]

Hi, we're sorry to know about the situation. For the drone that is under the warranty, we would recommend our customers to send the unit to our facility and the flight records should be synced. However, warranty would still depend on the outcome of the investigation. Fixing the drone by our customer's end is not recommended as this process is not in accordance with our after-sales policy that would lead to warranty avoidance. We do appreciate your understanding.
2019-9-23
Use props
crabll87
New

TO DJI Tony,

I too have issues with my Mavic Pro gimbal. It has had NO crashes or impacts and HAS been taken into the repair centre TWICE!! This has not fixed the problem. Ive been told I need to record the problem when it occurs again (although explained many times that you lose control of the gimbal and video fails simultaneously) and if of course I can prove it I will have to pay for any hardware replacements. Even though they tell me know the hardware is completely fine. How am I meant to take responsibility for what is CLEARLY a DJI issue?
2019-9-24
Use props
djiuser_SwA6ksS4Ftfp
New

United States

My mavic mini gymbal starts up normally then when i start flying it gives me a stuck gymbal and than a overload gymbal error
2020-11-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules