Mavic's gimbal reboot during flight
4143 32 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
3DPilot
New
Flight distance : 185518 ft

Ukraine

I have the issue with gimbal reboot during flight.
Have someone managed to solve this trouble with update to Firmware : v01.03.1000 or some other actions?
You can see it at 01:03 at timeline

2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

The latest firmware should have this issue fixed, you can refer to the release note: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_en.pdf
Just to verify, had you successfully upgraded to v01.03.1000, could you please check the version info? Thank you.
2017-9-3
Use props
Bar4d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38438 ft
Germany

i can confirm that this is still happening on v01.03.1000. My Mavic can´t take videos longer than 1 to 3 Minutes without the restarts. .1000 has not changed that (to my disappiontment). I still hesitate to send it in given the feedbacks of RMA´s in this forum. So i accepted it and focus my expierence on flying and still pictures.
2017-9-4
Use props
Dutchgixxer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 738084 ft
United Kingdom

I also have experienced a gimball reset while flying in sportmode. I am running version .1000 as well
2017-9-4
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I had this happen for the first time right after upgrading to .1000, so it's definitely not fixed yet.
2017-9-4
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Add me to the fray.  I had my first gimbal freakout today.   Gimbal did a bit of up and down thing, then settled and it stopped my recording.   I had never seen this with my Mavic before today.  Here are the details:

- FW .1000, Go 4 4.1.8, Android 7 on Huawei Mate 9.  Litchi and Drone Harmony were also installed on the phone, but were force stopped prior to plugging in the RC.
- Successfully recal'd IMUs after FW update (all numbers were in the .000-.004 range).  Did not recal gimbal or compasses - as I like my gimbal roll setting, and the compass interference readings were <20.
- Windy day, lots of buffeting and MP having a difficult time remaining stable
- Using a Sandisk Extreme 64G U3 V30 card.  Always reformatted in Mavic prior to flight.
- Spent a lot of time using Active Track today, but was not in Active Track when the gimbal glitch occurred.

The reason I mention the active track thing is because I had read another person had the issue while in Active Track...was wondering if maybe it was related - like maybe not resetting/re-initializing things properly after coming out of Active Track.

Not sure what to do about this.  If it only happens occasionally, I can probably live with it.  If it is the ribbon cable like so many people seem to speculate, then I'm going to be really angry.   Have not has an issue with my Mavic, and I don't want to return it with the risk of getting new/more problems.

LP
2017-9-4
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here's a video of what happened.  It was captured by the FPV feed on my phone, but the actual SD card recording didn't catch it - so the video must have stopped right before the error.

Look familiar to anyone, or is it not the same issue?  Looks very similar to me.    I have the flight logs, but I have no way to read the DAT files.   I didn't see anything interesting in the text files after I uploaded them to PhantomHelp.
FWIW, I did another experiment where I left it on the floor and started recording.   Two sessions of >20 min at 4K/30, with no stopped recording.   Same SD card.   On the second attempt, I moved the bird around a bit like a kid with a toy airplane.   I tilted it left and right and up and down....and something interesting happened.   When I tilted it down, the gimbal tried to keep up but eventually reaching it's max tilt limit to stay level.   When I tilted the MP up, when I hit the limit of the gimbal travel, the gimbal vibrated a bit like it was trying to continue to move.  I could hear it vibrating against the body.   Then when I put the MP back on the floor, the gimbal didn't return to fully level.  It stayed pointed down 30-45 degrees.   I did this a few times just to reproduce the effect.  I could, however, just move the gimbal back to level and all was normal again.   No new tilt, etc. and it worked fine until I 'over' tilted it again.   Seems to me like the software or firmware should be looking for this condition and handling it better.   Anybody care to try it to verify my findings?

LP

2017-9-4
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

This is occurring with my mavic as well with the latest firmware and software. :-(
2017-9-4
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I spoke to soon on the stopped recordings.   I did do two >20 'on the floor' recordings with no stopping, but the second recording did stop on it's own at 29:24 (after my last post).   However, the gimbal didn't react strangely.   The recording just shut off.   The SD card was less than half full.

Thor - I'm willing to help you guys debug this thing if you want!  

LP
2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Thanks for all your replies above and I feel so regretful for this case. I will forward this case to our engineers to check again. Will get back to you once I had the result.
2017-9-4
Use props
UAVXTC
New
Flight distance : 31217 ft
United Kingdom

My Mavic is 4 days old, upgrade to new F/W over the weekend, on my 3rd flight with it yesterday and the Gimbal literally smoked in mid air. Had to fight Mavic to get it back safely.  Been flying Phantoms for 4 years and never had such a drastic failure.  Still waiting for RMA to send Mavic Back.  Not sure if this fault is related to FW update as it was perfect before hand
2017-9-5
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-4 22:09
Thanks for all your replies above and I feel so regretful for this case. I will forward this case to our engineers to check again. Will get back to you once I had the result.

Thanks Thor!

LP
2017-9-5
Use props
jburkett
lvl.2

Hong Kong

wo are trying to fix this issue
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi, please refer to the reply on 13#, it's from our engineers. They are working on it and hope we can get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.
2017-9-7
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-7 02:32
Hi, please refer to the reply on 13#, it's from our engineers. They are working on it and hope we can get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.

Thank you so much Thor!   Please let us know if we can be of assistance!

LP
2017-9-7
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jburkett@zackbu Posted at 2017-9-7 01:29
wo are trying to fix this issue

Just to add to my notes.  I had posted somewhere that my gimbal freakout and subsequent recording shutdown happened PAST the 4G cut point.   I was wrong.  The actual video on the card (4K/30fps) ended at exactly 9:06...right at the 4G point.   It was the FPV on my phone that recorded a little longer and captured the video I posted above.   Sounds to me like the 4G cut point is still in play - or my card.  Again, I'm using the Sandisk Extreme 64G U3 V30 - the one I believe listed at 60mbps write speed.   

Just FYI
LP
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2017-9-7 15:54
Just to add to my notes.  I had posted somewhere that my gimbal freakout and subsequent recording shutdown happened PAST the 4G cut point.   I was wrong.  The actual video on the card (4K/30fps) ended at exactly 9:06...right at the 4G point.   It was the FPV on my phone that recorded a little longer and captured the video I posted above.   Sounds to me like the 4G cut point is still in play - or my card.  Again, I'm using the Sandisk Extreme 64G U3 V30 - the one I believe listed at 60mbps write speed.   

Just FYI

Thanks for the feedback, I'll help to inform our engineers again. Appreciate your inputs.
2017-9-8
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Today I reset my camera settings, then recal'd the gimbal.   I then flew two full batteries without incident.  I'm not going to say the problem is fixed after only two batteries, but it does have me wondering which settings are stored on the drone, and which ones are on the phone.    Could there be some incompatibilities with the 'on drone' settings when they aren't wiped after an app update?

LP
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

UAVXTC Posted at 2017-9-5 02:14
My Mavic is 4 days old, upgrade to new F/W over the weekend, on my 3rd flight with it yesterday and the Gimbal literally smoked in mid air. Had to fight Mavic to get it back safely.  Been flying Phantoms for 4 years and never had such a drastic failure.  Still waiting for RMA to send Mavic Back.  Not sure if this fault is related to FW update as it was perfect before hand

I am terribly sorry for missing your comment. So what about the process now? Is there an update?
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi, all, I wonder if you could help. For the gimbal resetting issue, could you please provide the info below:
Please help to upload the original footage which has the resetting issue from the SD card to Dropbox and provide me with the link;
Please help to list out the camera settings for this footage, like zoom, EV, video resolution, format etc., the type of your SD card and whether you are at FPV mode or Follow mode.
Besides, if you want to send the drone back, we will also help to take care of it for you. Appreciate your assistance and your cooperation.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

LeafPeeper Posted at 2017-9-10 17:52
Today I reset my camera settings, then recal'd the gimbal.   I then flew two full batteries without incident.  I'm not going to say the problem is fixed after only two batteries, but it does have me wondering which settings are stored on the drone, and which ones are on the phone.    Could there be some incompatibilities with the 'on drone' settings when they aren't wiped after an app update?

LP

So now after you resetting the camera and calibrating the gimbal the issue has not repeated yet, right? How about now? And the firmware, is there an update on it? And I am collecting the info for this case, as you had mentioned above, the reset appeared right at the 4G point so you can not capture it, right?
Had you tried a none 4K video? Looking forward to your feedback.
2017-9-22
Use props
45bravo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119170 ft

United States

I have the same issue with gimbal resetting during flight. Started happening after the .1000 update. It gives no error on screen. wheni look in the setting I see (Gimbal disconnected), just stops recording and won't let me control it. I have to restart the aircraft. happens almost every single flight, 9 out of ten times.
2017-9-22
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

omg this is the issue i have!   i didnt think its a gimbal restart/reset thing..  mine does this irregularly, not a set pattern to when it does it other then it always seems to do it at edge of range of my RC (miles out) or when i'm on low battery RTH..no set amount of time or use cases.. just does it under those two connections for me when it does it... and not every time...  both of those will seem to kill the video, then the reset occurs.. its seriously panic inducing when watching it on live feed and your drone is way the hell out..  .. it happened to me after i updated, very flight after latest update! i was 3.31 miles out over open water, full signal, no signal, video recording ends (3.88GB) then gimbal starts to break focus then weird tilting cuts live feed again then comes back crooked in live view then back to normal....but with loose focus.,.
2017-9-22
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-22 00:13
Hi, all, I wonder if you could help. For the gimbal resetting issue, could you please provide the info below:
Please help to upload the original footage which has the resetting issue from the SD card to Dropbox and provide me with the link;
Please help to list out the camera settings for this footage, like zoom, EV, video resolution, format etc., the type of your SD card and whether you are at FPV mode or Follow mode.

Thor, unfortunately I don't remember all of the settings when it happened my one time so far.  I can try to find the original footage, but it's 4G, and since the recording stopped, it didn't capture the reset.   I have the phone footage though, and that DID capture the reset.   I can try to package up both if that would help.   Unfortunately, I don't remember the settings other than they were 4K/30, MP4, Follow Mode, auto settings.  I also had the grid turned on, continuous file numbering, and it's a Sandisk Extreme 64G U3/A1 V30 60MB/sec write speed card.  

LP
2017-9-22
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-22 00:21
So now after you resetting the camera and calibrating the gimbal the issue has not repeated yet, right? How about now? And the firmware, is there an update on it? And I am collecting the info for this case, as you had mentioned above, the reset appeared right at the 4G point so you can not capture it, right?
Had you tried a none 4K video? Looking forward to your feedback.

It has not happened again since resetting the camera settings.  I have since updated the the firmware to 1.04.0000 and flew one battery tonight and it didn't happen.   That said, I didn't record to the 4G cut point either.   You are correct in that when it happened to me, it happened at the 4G cut point, and the SD card did not capture it - but the phone did.   I have not tried using non-4K video.

LP
2017-9-22
Use props
YouserName
lvl.2
Flight distance : 185892 ft
United Kingdom

Happens to me every flight. Standard camera settings. As my mavic is new I haven't messaged around with the settings. Tried 1080p, 2.7k and 4k, Mov and MP4. Sometimes with in the first minute and other times past 6mins.

Tried FWs 400 to 1000, issue still present.

Video on the SD card cuts the video quite clean before the reset but the recording on the phone records a few seconds extra but not the whole reset.

Have only flown in FPV.
2017-9-23
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ya i disabled caching in my ipad mini 2 because the caching with my iPad mini 2 because it causes slow downs at times when its auto clearing or near its limit.  but i can confirm it constantly ending my videos around 3.88GB give or take little bit even though i am using a 128GB microSD card from samsung (yes its legit and real), formated for ExFAT so it has 64 bit partitioning tables..it speed tests at average of 75MB/Sec reading and 67MB/Sec writing and lowest point during writing only drops to 50MB/Sec so still well above the 30MB/sec min. recommended/required...    it always cuts the video just before it does midflight reset.. it always disconnects from the RC as well, i always blamed that on range but thinking about it, i had to cut out a few times when it should be in full signal coverage..

so consistent issues i seen with people reporting it including me:

it cuts out before or at 4GB

it then resets the gimbal after cutting out, causing stability issues and viberations

the RC signal disconnects from the Mavic pro while reseting

does not matter what kind of micro SD card it is using, high speed/high capacity/etc.

has happened on last 2 updates.

does not matter if it is 4K or 1080P.

does not matter if it is 24 FPS or 96 FPS

does not seem to occur if not recording..

2017-9-23
Use props
45bravo
lvl.1

United States

Bar4d Posted at 2017-9-4 00:06
i can confirm that this is still happening on v01.03.1000. My Mavic can´t take videos longer than 1 to 3 Minutes without the restarts. .1000 has not changed that (to my disappiontment). I still hesitate to send it in given the feedbacks of RMA´s in this forum. So i accepted it and focus my expierence on flying and still pictures.

I'm with you on this. I Focus on flying and stills. But that sucks considering the price of these things and Being I don't believe its hardware unless a certain batch came out like that. Mine was built in march 2017. (So the serial number says)
2017-9-23
Use props
45bravo
lvl.1

United States

I just wanted to jump back in here and say for the first time in a while I had a solid full flight with no gimbal issues whatsoever. I went back to .700 . My gimbal was doing this error 9 out of ten flights before and thus far its working spot on...
2017-9-26
Use props
Pavel Vanecek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566883 ft
Czechia

Any progress with solution of the reported problem?
Still sometimes occurs such behavior on my mavic with the firmware .1000 . This problem is very known and has been reported many times on YT. No matter the video recording is on or off. It occurs during the flight and gimbal seems to rebooting itself for several seconds.
I am waiting about half an year for any final solution, but I'm now almost sure that I definitely wasted my money for such faulty device
2018-1-25
Use props
3DPilot
New
Flight distance : 185518 ft

Ukraine

I think DJI is not actually interested to solve the issue (keeping in mind so much time passed and still no solution)... DJI earns money on new drones... It is business!
2018-1-27
Use props
Pavel Vanecek
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566883 ft
Czechia

During the winter I made many flight without error with the firmware 04.0200 .
But last week , with the last firmware 04.0300 i got gimbal reset almost every flight. No matter how long the record runs, it can happen on the beginning of record.
It seems to be some hardware issue, probably overheating, because it happens during the very warm days (28 gr C)

2018-4-22
Use props
Wanbli
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3848497 ft
United States

Pavel Vanecek Posted at 2018-4-22 11:55
During the winter I made many flight without error with the firmware 04.0200 .
But last week , with the last firmware 04.0300 i got gimbal reset almost every flight. No matter how long the record runs, it can happen on the beginning of record.
It seems to be some hardware issue, probably overheating, because it happens during the very warm days (28 gr C)

Replacing the core board & recalibrating EVERYTHING has fixed this for me.
2022-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules