1351 15 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pluggy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33251 ft
United Kingdom

Can anyone help a newbie please?

Using Windows 10 on a PC, what is the best software to edit my video footage?

2017-9-5
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I have a Mac so not sure what to use.  Some people use lightroom (i do too).  Have you tried the Microsoft Movie Maker?
2017-9-5
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am currently using VideoPad.  I use to use Windows Movie Maker (it was basic, but I added a lot of capabilities on my own).  I'm just learning VideoPad, but it seems to have basic capabilities if you aren't looking for anything super fancy.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

What is your experience level on video editing (or software in general)?

If you are a total newbie, I would suggest you first try some out before deciding.
I used to work with Pinnacle studio before changing to Sony Vegas Pro.
And I've tried Magix Video also.
The first and last can be downloaded as a trial.
Both work fine for beginners, but are also paid software.

There is free software available, I have not tried it.
Just to get you started:
http://www.techradar.com/news/so ... ideo-editor-1330136

I did try Davinci Resolve. https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/
That is free, but, rather difficult to learn (at least, I found it difficult).

2017-9-5
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 09:54
What is your experience level on video editing (or software in general)?

If you are a total newbie, I would suggest you first try some out before deciding.

My choice is Sony Movie Studio, this is a leisure market version of Sony Vegas.

They have been recently taken over by Magix who try and push you to their product line, but Movie Studio still exists for now.
2017-9-5
Use props
Pashi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4862598 ft
  • >>>
Russia

MAGIX Vegas Pro
2017-9-5
Use props
ANHTUANNN503
lvl.1
Flight distance : 17986 ft
Netherlands

When I was on Windows I would always use Adobe Premiere, haven't tried Sony Vegas. Since a few months I switched to Mac and it's been easier.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

ANHTUANNN503 Posted at 2017-9-5 12:53
When I was on Windows I would always use Adobe Premiere, haven't tried Sony Vegas. Since a few months I switched to Mac and it's been easier.

I did try that to for a brief period. But found it too difficult compared to Sony Vegas.
The last one won.
Not sure what would have happened if I would not have tried Sony Vegas Pro the first time.
2017-9-5
Use props
Pashi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Russia

If you want free professional software - try Davinci Resolve 14. It's amazing. Using Vegas and Resolve for different tasks.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Pashi Posted at 2017-9-5 13:07
If you want free professional software - try Davinci Resolve 14. It's amazing. Using Vegas and Resolve for different tasks.

Just out of curiosity, when do you use Resolve?
I did give it a short try, but left for Vegas Pro 14 again.
2017-9-5
Use props
brasda91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57159 ft
United States

VSDC Free Video Editor
2017-9-5
Use props
brian_b
lvl.2
United States

Iʻve used Photoshop for years in graphic/ web professionally. Now I use Adobe Premiere mostly because the color correction tools are similar to Photoshop. Maybe when I get an ND filter, I wonʻt have to adjust levels, luminosity, or exposure in post in Premiere.
2017-9-5
Use props
Pashi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Russia

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-5 13:24
Just out of curiosity, when do you use Resolve?
I did give it a short try, but left for Vegas Pro 14 again.

I'm using Resolve when I need complex color correction with animated masks. I don't love to switch from one NLE to another. Also it's great to play with video speed (keys instead of envelopes sometimes better) The only disappointing thing for me is my beloved Prodad Mercalli v4 not working in Resolve as well as Neat Video. But I'm using Vegas for 13 years since it was Sonic Foundry's and it's like a slippers for me cozy and comfortable)))
2017-9-5
Use props
MaikR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It all depends on your own skills.
I use Adobe Premiere for the advanced edditing.
But if I want to create a quick perfect beat-matched movie, I use Magix Fastcut. It's a cheap program (50 dollar or so) with nice capabillities and templates so you can quickly create a nice professional looking video.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Pashi Posted at 2017-9-5 22:41
I'm using Resolve when I need complex color correction with animated masks. I don't love to switch from one NLE to another. Also it's great to play with video speed (keys instead of envelopes sometimes better) The only disappointing thing for me is my beloved Prodad Mercalli v4 not working in Resolve as well as Neat Video. But I'm using Vegas for 13 years since it was Sonic Foundry's and it's like a slippers for me cozy and comfortable)))

Aha, thanks. I have the same feelings about Sony Vegas .
2017-9-5
Use props
Bozora
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142234 ft
Singapore

If I'm a novice....I would go for a
1. Free software like iMovie (MAC) or moviemaker (win)
2. I would likely opt out subscription based software like the Adobe Creative Suite of sw like after effects or premiere pro.
3. I would go for a one time payment software like Final Cut Pro (Mac) or Power Director one equivalent on windows
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules