Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Customer Service issues with CA based Helicopter World Inc.
1973 6 2014-10-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
richardlbye1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 195614 ft
United States

To begin with I'm a nubee here and with DJI products, drones etc but from what I've seen and read they make one of the best products available today. In hope they keep up the great work and keep the products coming.  I've always been taught that if you can't say anything good - then don't say anything. Well I'm going to break my own rule here in hopes that I say here will hopefully save someone else the pain and anguish I've been going through since 9/6/14 when I purchased my phantom 2 vision + and accessories from Helecopter World in CA (the DJI distributer in that area). I've also always believed that if I went into a store and made a purchase, took it home and found it defective I could return it for a full refund and or exchange for another new product within a reasonable period of time.  This doesn't seem to be the case with this CA store. Here's a very short version of what's going on.  For the record let me also say the following is my opinion based on my experience and circumstances. I'm 75 not in good health and going thorugh a pacemaker implant which includes minimizing stress at all costs so this is that last thing I needed.
Received the Vision + and extras first week in Sept. Set up went extreemly well, justy like the directions said. Working on my hobby table when it came to connecting wifi I noticed I would only stay connected  for 1 - 3 minutes at best. Rereading directions and researching I didn't find a flaw. Posted here for help and had 2 replys which I tried with no luck. Began emailing Helecopter World and DJI service for assistance. Waited days for replies. Actually received answers from DJI before my dealer. Days later called HW in CA. Had trouble getting connected because of their overwhelming number of calls or short staff. Finally connected with Joe who suggested a couple of things including resetting the WIFI extender, which in fact gave me my 3 minute connect. Fuiture tests were no better. Joe send me a replacement extender and didn't want the old one back.  Still no luck. More tests and emails back & forth with the same results. Now my emails include  requests for RMA# (authorization / information for returning the product) so I can return the phantom for a new replacement or a full refund.  This is when my emails went repeatedly unanswered from HW in CA. Calls became impossible because of the long wait times to be connected. Taking matters into my own hands I decided I had had enough and just wanted to return my purchase for a full refund or a new phantom.
$40+ later I shipped it - insured etc. etc. I emailed the store and gave them tracking info so they'd know it was coming and could verify the package when it arrived.  Apparently that was a big mistake and a complete waste of time. Today it arrived back at my house marked in very big black writing. RTS (Return To Sender) Refused No RMA #.  Are you kidding me!!  Now I've lost my $40+ shipping and still no where in resolving my problem.

So now I'm asking;  has anyone else experienced anything like this - anywhere when dealing with them or any other hobby store?
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed with getting my $$ back or worst case getting a new phantom replacement from them?
Am I going to have to resign myself to accepting a repaired phantom even thought this one arrived defective?
Thanks in advance, I'm looking for any help I can get.  I'm really running out of time physically and just wanted one more opportunity to share something great with my grandkids.   thanks
2014-10-17
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Richard
Please advise us as to what the model and make of the phone and the wifi service you are using?  EX, Sprint,  AT&T.  I had a Galaxy 5 phone brand new from Sprint and found it would disconnect after 2 or three minutes.  It seems the sprint phone will automatically try to search for a better wifi connection and shut me off.   I now use an Apple tablet, gen 2, 10.1 inch diagonal screen with IOS 8.1.  I don't have wifi at all as I connect from the tablet to the range extender by Bluetooth.  Let me know more info on your phone please.
2014-10-17
Use props
johnwarr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Richard, turn off mobile data on your phone, that will stop it looking for other Wi-Fi connections with internet and loosing connection to the phantom.
What make and model is your smartphone ?
2014-10-17
Use props
richardlbye1
lvl.2
United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-10-18 11:26
Richard
Please advise us as to what the model and make of the phone and the wifi service you are usi ...

Thanks for the help. Been busy with dr. Visits. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S Iii with at&t service.  Dji said it should be fine but I still have the problem and still no word from the store as what to do.
2014-10-21
Use props
richardlbye1
lvl.2
United States

Im using a Samsung Galaxy  S 3 with at&t which dji says should be ok.  Thanks.
2014-10-21
Use props
richardlbye1
lvl.2
United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-10-18 13:36
Richard, turn off mobile data on your phone, that will stop it looking for other Wi-Fi connections w ...

I have tried shutting off the data to the phone. Also reset the extender. Still have not heard from the store on how to get sent back.
2014-10-21
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

richardlbye1@at Posted at 2014-10-21 20:00
Im using a Samsung Galaxy  S 3 with at&t which dji says should be ok.  Thanks.

I also had the Galaxy S 3 but mine was from Sprint.  Maybe it is just the way the Galaxy phone works.  I got rid of the phone altogether and went with an Apple iPad 2, 32GB, Wi-Fi + 3G (AT&T), 9.7in - White!! (Low FW iOS 6.1).  I don't have any wifi plan on the APPLE.  I have a NETGEAR router in my home with wifi capability so I can download the DJI APP.  When I now fly, I connect wifi to the Phantom range extender with Bluetooth and have prefect connection now without interruption and the 10.1 inch screen is remarkable to see more easily than the smaller phone screens.   I tried to connect to other Galaxy phones with other companies (AT%T, SPRINT and Verizon and kept getting a disconnect after about 3 minutes or so, that's why I went with APPLE tablet with Bluetooth.
If you know someone with an APPLE Tablet, have them download the DJI APP and see if it will stay connected.  The tablet operating system has to be 6.1 or higher for the app to work.
2014-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules