12Next >
4846 61 2017-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmd610
lvl.2
Flight distance : 85200 ft
United States

I just bought the Spark yesterday and have spent the last day and a half with setup issues.  I got the aircraft firmware updated, but the remote controller is not updaing.  I have started the update using DJI GO4.  The remote beeps continuously and the update status has been stuck at 5%.  After about 10 minutes the remote turns off, but there udpate never finishes. I have shutdown, and restarted everything at least 10 times and same result each time.  DJI Assistant on my PC doesn't see the remote connected, so that's no help either.  Suggestions?   Thanks to all who answer....

2017-9-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

This sounds exactly like my experience (5% update, it eventually powers off).  I was attempting to update over OTG cables.  I switched to using wifi, and the update proceeded normally.

Are you using OTG cables while attempting to perform the update?  If so, ditch the cables for the update.

ALSO:  The craft, the remote, and each battery needs to be updated.  During all of these updates there will occur some "uncomfortable" moments where it seems that things are not going as expected (the aircraft will power down, there may be an uncomfortable pause during battery updates, etc)....  Be patient, and let it do it's thing (don't interrupt it by shutting anything down).  I'm pretty sure the aircraft and remote "bounce" during the updates, and the last % of the batteries go slow.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-6 06:30
This sounds exactly like my experience (5% update, it eventually powers off).  I was attempting to update over OTG cables.  I switched to using wifi, and the update proceeded normally.

Are you using OTG cables while attempting to perform the update?  If so, ditch the cables for the update.

Thanks for your reply.  I'm connected to the remote/aircraft via the wifi connection.  I restarted it again here and it's been running for about 10 minutes so far and still stuck at 5%.  Everything is still turned on though.  Aircraft battery is down to 25% now.  I gotta change the battery.   

There is a message on the screen that has been there since I started "Update Log" .."You are in compatibility update or lacking update log"  I'm not sure if that means anything.   Thanks for your help.
2017-9-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-6 06:50
Thanks for your reply.  I'm connected to the remote/aircraft via the wifi connection.  I restarted it again here and it's been running for about 10 minutes so far and still stuck at 5%.  Everything is still turned on though.  Aircraft battery is down to 25% now.  I gotta change the battery.   

There is a message on the screen that has been there since I started "Update Log" .."You are in compatibility update or lacking update log"  I'm not sure if that means anything.   Thanks for your help.

This is beyond my experience.  Hopefully somebody else has some experience with this particular "message" and what it means.
2017-9-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-6 06:50

P.S.  As an alternative, you can use DJI Assistant 2 to perform the update.  Again, I don't have experience using the client, but others have had success performing the updates this way.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-6 06:30

...now 25 minutes into it and I'm still at 5% and the remote has been beeping the whole time.    This is insane.   Again, thanks Charles.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-6 06:59
P.S.  As an alternative, you can use DJI Assistant 2 to perform the update.  Again, I don't have experience using the client, but others have had success performing the updates this way.

Assistant 2 doesn't even recognize the remote of the aircraft on my PC.  Perhaps something is wrong with the unit I bought.
2017-9-6
Use props
djiuser_VCyD2T3
New
Finland

I have the exact same situation. Stuck at 5%. After a while the controller just shuts down. I also have the text "You are in compatibility update..." and so on.

I'm using a Samsung Xcover 3 -phone.

A couple of times when I first tried I had the cable connected from my phone to the controller, although there didn't seem to be a connection so I just used the wifi.
Now I've tried several times without the cable, just wifi. Always the same problem.

2017-9-6
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-6 06:58
Assistant 2 doesn't even recognize the remote of the aircraft on my PC.  Perhaps something is wrong with the unit I bought.

You can't update the Spark RC via Dji Assistant 2, have you tried resetting the controller
2017-9-6
Use props
scorpionro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 211355 ft
United States

I also had a hell of a time getting my unit to work. The QR code didn't work (apparently it doesn't work for a lot of people), so I had to disconnect the unit from the remote and reset the WiFi settings (click battery button once, then hold the battery button for around 10 seconds - it should been once, then been twice, finally beep three times), which made the unit visible to my phone (iOS, so not sure if it would work for Android). From there everything worked nicely. I was able to update the Spark and the 1st battery. Then I've linked the remote, connected to the remote WiFi and updated it. Finally I have attached the 2nd battery and updated its firmware. Hopefully resetting the WiFi & re-linking the remote will do the trick for you.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-9-6 07:07
You can't update the Spark RC via Dji Assistant 2, have you tried resetting the controller

Ok, so after 40 minutes of 5% and a constantly beeping remote I gave up and shut it down.  It's supposed to take "10 minutes" so 40 minutes and nothing completed is ridiculous.  I've also used two different mobile devices with the same result.  This forum here is helpful, but DJI's website and support is terrible so far. I'm considering returning this thing as the two day setup is just crazy.  
2017-9-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I can really say: Try a OTG cabel connection.
It looks to me, that the wifi switching back to the drone is creating trouble.
With an otg you have a chance to do it in one time!
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-9-6 07:19
I can really say: Try a OTG cabel connection.
It looks to me, that the wifi switching back to the drone is creating trouble.
With an otg you have a chance to do it in one time!

Ok, thanks.  I'll have to go pick up an OTG cable
2017-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Guys, do you never read the other posts in this Forum? {:4_157:} The RC Firmware update does not work with the latest DJI GO 4.1.8. You have to use an older version of the App, no other way to solve the problem! You can find e.g. version 4.1.5 on APK Mirror.
2017-9-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-6 07:24
Guys, do you never read the other posts in this Forum? {:4_157:} The RC Firmware update does not work with the latest DJI GO 4.1.8. You have to use an older version of the App, no other way to solve the problem! You can find e.g. version 4.1.5 on APK Mirror.

I guess I missed that, but there you go.  Maybe regress app to 4.1.5, perform all updates, and then update app to 4.1.8.

That's kind of messy, but messy is better than "can't/impossible".
2017-9-6
Use props
vasi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16099 ft

Exatly, just read the forum.
Latest DJI GO release does not work, use the previous one.
APKmirror
2017-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Addendum: Here is the link  https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dj ... droid-apk-download/
The problem only occurs with the latest version of the Android App, the iOS version works well according to all reports here.
And forget about updating using an OTG cable, it definitely does not work!
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

So now I'm getting error messages on my Android that the older app is not installing.  Here's the bottom line.  If DJI can't deliver a drone that works, why do I want this $700 piece of garbage?  I appreciate everyone's help, but this is far too much work to get this thing to work.  Absolute insanity.  DJI if you monitor this -- deliver products that work!!
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-6 07:30
Addendum: Here is the link  https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/dji-go-4-4-1-5-release/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4-4-1-5-android-apk-download/
The problem only occurs with the latest version of the Android App, the iOS version works well according to all reports here.

This forum needs a better search capability. I have better things to do then read through thousands of posts that don't help....  Thanks for re-posting Wachtberger, but the mirror app isn't loading on my android, and I don't want to trash a phone to go around a trash app by DJI that doesn't work.
2017-9-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-6 06:58

My ideas haven't been panning out, but again I've had a similar issue.  When I downloaded dji assistant 2 and installed it, it didn't recognize my spark either.

I had installed the assistant from the mavic download site by mistake.  Though I don't think that this would/should make any difference (I think it's the same download for any of DJI's product sites), I uninstalled it, and reinstalled the one that I obtained from the spark site.  And it worked.

If it is the exact same version, it might be worth uninstalling and re-installing.  If there is a difference (for some reason that I don't understand), then be sure to grab the one from spark, uninstall the current version and install the one you obtain from the spark product site.

No definitive solution, and no magic...  it's what I experienced, what I did, and I was in fact able to have the assistant recognize my spark.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-6 10:44
My ideas haven't been panning out, but again I've had a similar issue.  When I downloaded dji assistant 2 and installed it, it didn't recognize my spark either.

I had installed the assistant from the mavic download site by mistake.  Though I don't think that this would/should make any difference (I think it's the same download for any of DJI's product sites), I uninstalled it, and reinstalled the one that I obtained from the spark site.  And it worked.

Hi Charles.  Did you get the Assistance to recognize your controller?  I've got it to recognize my Spark, but not the controller.  Thanks
2017-9-6
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-6 10:45
Hi Charles.  Did you get the Assistance to recognize your controller?  I've got it to recognize my Spark, but not the controller.  Thanks

No, I've never hooked it to the controller (though I could try tonight to see what happens).  I've always been able to perform the updates from the app (though apparently version 4.1.8 has a known problem updating the RC).  I've never needed to use the assistant to try and connect  to or update the RC.

I'll give it a go tonight, and let you know what I find.
2017-9-6
Use props
terrencell
New
Finland

Hey rmd610 have you allowed unknown sources on your android? I had to do that before the apk would install on my phone.
For me this was found in "Lock screen and security" and "Unknown sources - Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store.
2017-9-6
Use props
brasda91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57159 ft
United States

^ My Spark arrives tomorrow. If I hadn't been on here researching/learning and come across this post (and I've been on here for several days now), I too wouldn't have known the the latest RC update doesn't work with our Android phones.

With all that being said, once you got the update downloaded with your HOME wifi, did you switch back to the RC's wifi before attempting to install the update?
2017-9-6
Use props
terrencell
New
Finland

Yes. Home wifi for downloading, then switch to the controller wifi to install the update.
2017-9-6
Use props
flyinprogrammer
New
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2017-9-6 07:30
Addendum: Here is the link  https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/dji-technology-co-ltd/dji-go-4/dji-go-4-4-1-5-release/dji-go-4-for-drones-since-p4-4-1-5-android-apk-download/

I can confirm that this method solved upgrading my spark rc with a nexus 5x running android oreo. Thanks!! If you're ever in Austin I owe yah a beverage.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Thanks all....  I do have my android set to allow outside installations.  It still says it won't install the app so I'm doing something wrong.  
2017-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

@rmd610: Have you uninstalled the latest App version before trying to install the older one? And do you maybe have another Adroid device to try with? It definitely should work! Last resort would be doing it with an iOS device that you or a friend might have availeble. It's only the latestet Android App version that has this unfortunate bug. And
@all: Firmware updates for the RC are not possible with the DJI Assistant! DJI Assistant is the first choice for updatig Spark and Batteries. The RC can only be updated via WiFi connection (no cable connection!).
2017-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

@flyinprogrammer: That would be great, thank you :-)
2017-9-6
Use props
fanscb09c41d
New
Flight distance : 7205 ft
United States

Unbelievable!!!
Thank you for this info. I have been looking high and low, clearly not in the right places, for a solution. Even DJI Support aren't aware of this simple fact.
I downloaded 4.1.5 on a tablet and amazingly enough the update to the controller occured without a glitch and within a minute or so!
Thanks again, and the Spark is a sweet drone. It flies really well with a controller. Even tried to fly it into a wall and it just wouldn't do it. Gotta love this technology
2017-9-6
Use props
fanscb09c41d
New
Flight distance : 7205 ft
United States

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-6 10:12
So now I'm getting error messages on my Android that the older app is not installing.  Here's the bottom line.  If DJI can't deliver a drone that works, why do I want this $700 piece of garbage?  I appreciate everyone's help, but this is far too much work to get this thing to work.  Absolute insanity.  DJI if you monitor this -- deliver products that work!!

Don't despair!
It flies without the controller update. But the DJII GO app ver 4.1.5 version will update the controller, I just did it. Good luck.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Update: I tried different Android devices with no luck.  Called DJI, went through a bunch of different attempts and they said I should return the unit as it appears defective.  Now I wonder if after returning I'll still have a similar problem.  I can't get past this RC Firmware update screen so I have been unable to fly so far.  I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks everyone for your input and ideas here today.
2017-9-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

djiuser_VCyD2T3 Posted at 2017-9-6 06:58
I have the exact same situation. Stuck at 5%. After a while the controller just shuts down. I also have the text "You are in compatibility update..." and so on.

I'm using a Samsung Xcover 3 -phone.

Please try to use an iphone instead, if the problem still exists. You can upload the log to DropBox and share the link. We will help you find out the problem.
2017-9-6
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-6 17:40
Update: I tried different Android devices with no luck.  Called DJI, went through a bunch of different attempts and they said I should return the unit as it appears defective.  Now I wonder if after returning I'll still have a similar problem.  I can't get past this RC Firmware update screen so I have been unable to fly so far.  I'll keep you all posted.  Thanks everyone for your input and ideas here today.

If I were you, I feel the same way. Just to verify, please ensure that you use a solid Internet. If you fail to update through Android system, please try IOS system. You can upload your log and provide it to us for check. Please keep us updated. Thanks for your support.
2017-9-6
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

Ok folks, I need to thank you all for your suggestions. I downloaded the older android app to an older photo and was able to update the RC firmware from there. So again, thank you to all who helped out and talked me through this issue. Surprisingly, even the folks at the DJI Support call in number were not aware of this problem with the latest DJI GO 4 app.  Have a good weekend everyone!!
2017-9-8
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-8 19:35
Ok folks, I need to thank you all for your suggestions. I downloaded the older android app to an older photo and was able to update the RC firmware from there. So again, thank you to all who helped out and talked me through this issue. Surprisingly, even the folks at the DJI Support call in number were not aware of this problem with the latest DJI GO 4 app.  Have a good weekend everyone!!

Glad you got your Spark updated.... you will have lots of fun flying and learning aerial photography ..

Sometimes with lots of technology comes some pain and suffering

Rich
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-8 19:35

Glad you solve the problem.
2017-9-13
Use props
rmd610
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-13 02:48
Glad you solve the problem.

I gotta ask @DJI Elektra --- why doesn't DJI know about this issue?  In calling the helpline and posting here, no one from DJI knew about this.  Pretty frustrating.
2017-9-19
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

rmd610 Posted at 2017-9-19 11:10
I gotta ask @DJI Elektra --- why doesn't DJI know about this issue?  In calling the helpline and posting here, no one from DJI knew about this.  Pretty frustrating.

We recommended some Android users download 4.1.5 version of app and update the RC. And they solved the problem,too. Sorry that it took some time for our engineers to test the solution. Thanks for support.  
2017-9-20
Use props
ThorAnders
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13629 ft
Sweden

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-20 00:10
We recommended some Android users download 4.1.5 version of app and update the RC. And they solved the problem,too. Sorry that it took some time for our engineers to test the solution. Thanks for support.

Hi, I downloaded and installed
2017-9-29
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules