Cell phone out of range of signal
2085 17 2017-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 32904 ft
United States

I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum on the forums, and may just be a "common sense" thing, but I was unable to find any definitive answers, so;
I am taking my Mavic to a location that is out of range for cellular phones. My Mavic is updated, and works well, and I've flown it a few places that were somewhat "off grid", but my cell has maintained signal on those flights.
The location is, essentially, out in middle of the Pacific Ocean, and cell phones don't work out there, I wanted to be sure that: A) The drone would connect/fly as normal (I don't expect to be able to upload anything, until returning), B) I'll be able to view/save/store videos and photos I take.

I haven't heard of anyone "not getting a signal", but figured I'd ask and get some type of feedback/confirmation before I spend 20+ hours on the boat carrying the Mavic through a number of border checkpoints, etc.

If you're "out in middle of nowhere", (out of cell service range) and you fired up your Mavic and flew around, I'd love to hear it. I have seen discussions, (and read in the instructions) about switching over to wi-fi switch, etc. After a while, I tend to overthink it, and get overwhelmed with the "tutorial" overload.

Thanks-
2017-9-6
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

You don't need internet/cell-coverage to fly your MP. Just fly it like you do with internet/cell-coverage... I'm not "out in the middle of nowhere" but always fly without internet/cell-coverage...
2017-9-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Lots of people fly in "airplane mode" -- in fact, some Android phones seem to require it for safe operation -- so you should be fine as long as you're not in or near a NFZ, which you can check ahead of time here: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2017-9-6
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

An nfz in the middle of the pacific sure would be something else
2017-9-6
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

Pearl Harbor?
2017-9-6
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
United States

Would have LOVED to, but it's still an active Navy base, and serious NFZ. Mostly North Shore Oahu, and Mt Haleakala, and waterfalls along the "Road to Hana", Maui.
2017-9-7
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-6 11:41
Lots of people fly in "airplane mode" -- in fact, some Android phones seem to require it for safe operation -- so you should be fine as long as you're not in or near a NFZ, which you can check ahead of time here: http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map

Thank you, perfect. I also doubt there'd be an NFZ out there, but I'll take a look anyway.
2017-9-7
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-9-6 10:39
You don't need internet/cell-coverage to fly your MP. Just fly it like you do with internet/cell-coverage... I'm not "out in the middle of nowhere" but always fly without internet/cell-coverage...

Thank you!
2017-9-7
Use props
Eagle_Eye
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-9-6 10:39

It's true you don't need it.
But if you're on latest FW/Apps make sure you are login to your account before heading out to nowhere.
I cannot attest to this coz I'm on old SW and have no problem w/ this. And also not sure how long would that login stays until it timed out and you need to login again.Could be a problem when you're in the middle of nowhere and it timed out, your flight alt/dist will become limited. Again, not sure as per stated.
2017-9-7
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

I don't know if there is a time-out and you have to login again with internet access, maybe someone of DJI can tell us if so.
2017-9-7
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

"Lots of people fly in "airplane mode"

Yup, and I never had an issue with the MP. Frankly, I'd rather fly using 'AM' then wifi.
2017-9-7
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

When flying in airplane mode you don't get disturbed by pop-ups of different other active apps...
2017-9-7
Use props
Rusty Iron
lvl.3
Australia

I use an iPad Air and I make sure it is completely disconnected from the outside world. Wifi off, bluetooth off, in aeroplane mode and it has no sim card. I often fly in the remote parts of Western Australia so there is no signal of any sort anyway. I do all the latest updates at home (DJI and IOS) as soon as they are announced, with wifi on the iPad (have never used DJI Assistant) Have only ever had one update fail with a battery but even then, I just re-started everything and got the battery updated. You absolutely do not need any cell or mobile signal to fly. Some people may disagree but I believe you should make sure you keep everything updated before venturing out.
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As discussed above, there is no need to connect with the network when you flying. Just make sure you have logged in DJI GO and keep the status.
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Mari Posted at 2017-9-7 09:33
I don't know if there is a time-out and you have to login again with internet access, maybe someone of DJI can tell us if so.

There will be no time-out as long as you do not log out manually. No worries.
2017-9-8
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

Thanks for your reply... now we don't have to worry any more...
2017-9-8
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
United States

Thank you all so much for the insights, explanations and examples. There's no doubt in my mind the Mavic will be perfectly fine.
2017-9-26
Use props
PSDTrainer
lvl.2
United States

FYI- I fired up the Mavic, (phone was in AM to avoid draining the battery from a lack of signal and phone constantly trying to find it, old habit from older phone, dunno if it's still a factor or not) but the Mavic flew and functioned beautifully. Was able to get some amazing shots of the boat, island, sharks and the Elephant Seals. Thanks for the info- and BTW, I now fly in AM all the time as suggested to avoid the BS pop-ups, messages, e-mail notifications and worst of all, a phone call- LOL. Thank you again for the all of the advice and guidance. Cheers.
2017-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules