Hobby VS. Part 107 (USA)
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MAStetz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26316 ft
United States

Hello All,

I'm a future dronner Mavic Platinum, I’ve been trying to figure out the USA FAA flight rules. I've watched and read the entire internet on this and can't seem to find my answer so i hope someone on this group could help.

Scenario:

Hobbyist/recreational flight according to B4uFly app (provided by FAA) I must call all airports, ATCT, and helipads that I will be flying in their 5 mile radius. Which I’m finding out that most of the damn country is covered by helipads and farmer field airports. Currently I’m 30 miles south and 40 miles west of international airports in NE Ohio area, but still lots of little airports all around.

Now this is where my major confusion comes in, I would like to pursue the FAA Part 107 which denies you the ability to call the airports and ask for clearance to fly, you must file for a waiver, and I understand that. BUT as a part 107 holder does that deny me the ability to fly recreational on a moment’s notice? Must all my flights be approved by FAA if not for commercial reasons??

Also not sure who is using AirMap app for preflight check list, but if I click recreational flight it list’s all the advisories and airports and phone numbers I must call before flight, however if I click on Part 107 flight most of the flight advisories go away, does that mean a holder of FAA part 107 doesn’t need to notify mom and pop airports? Or is that just a misleading feature?

Thanks for any and all help with this, I hope someone understands what I’m trying to ask.

-Mike

2017-9-7
Use props
Beard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28871 ft

United States

Mike-Hobbyist are indeed required to call the tower or airport managers if they plan to fly within 5 miles of their aerodrome. However, as a part 107 certificate holder you are not. It does not deny you the ability to do this. It is more liberal because as long as you are flying in class G airspace (which can be much closer than 5 miles) and a TFR is not in affect then you can fly regardless of the objective...recreation or commercial...and as long as you adhere to the other limitations of 107.  It also gives you the ability to request permission to fly in controlled airspace (B,C,D, E) through their online system. Hope this helps. I definitely recommend dedicating some time to becoming fluent in airspace and reading charts. This is invaluable for areas like the one in which you are located.
2017-9-7
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

Beard Thanks for that clarification! It looks like I will pursue 107 sooner than I thought.
2017-9-7
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

Beard Posted at 2017-9-7 11:56
Mike-Hobbyist are indeed required to call the tower or airport managers if they plan to fly within 5 miles of their aerodrome. However, as a part 107 certificate holder you are not. It does not deny you the ability to do this. It is more liberal because as long as you are flying in class G airspace (which can be much closer than 5 miles) and a TFR is not in affect then you can fly regardless of the objective...recreation or commercial...and as long as you adhere to the other limitations of 107.  It also gives you the ability to request permission to fly in controlled airspace (B,C,D, E) through their online system. Hope this helps. I definitely recommend dedicating some time to becoming fluent in airspace and reading charts. This is invaluable for areas like the one in which you are located.

Well said Mike.   Know your airspace, know your weather.
2017-9-11
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Great post... I have been wondering this myself... Thanks!
2017-9-13
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

Tomorrow 9/14/2017 I am scheduled to take my Part 107 Exam. and after studying sectionals, NOTAMs and TFRs I wouldn't want to be a hobbyist flying a drone, if you play by the rules it has to be a real pain in the ass to notify all those class D, and E airports of flight not to mention Helipads AMA area's. I'd rather just read my sectional and know were i can legally fly.
2017-9-13
Use props
Beard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28871 ft

United States

MAStetz-I'm sure you know this but keep in mind that Class D extends up from the surface and that Class E can extend down to the surface in some cases.  FAA waiver/authorization would still be required.
2017-9-13
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

Yes I know but not likely. I've already bought my local sectional. All my areas are clear. Also ordered my vhs radio.
2017-9-13
Use props
ROBERM19
lvl.4
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

Happy to see people taking these things seriously. Airspace is by far the biggest thing I worry about when integrating UA into the realm of manned aircraft. Realistically we can't expect every operator to be instrument rated, let alone private pilots, so it again falls on the community to be aware of how important it is to be diligent.
2017-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules