10802 16 2017-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

Hey guys,
Unfortunatly, i was flying over the water, went into sport mode way too close to surface and it dipped down and i lost it. I know, I know rookie mistake.

I wanted to hear from anyone who has State Farm insurance has made a claim and got their drone replaced or got check for a new one. Is there anything I should or shouldn't say to my rep to make sure i get it replaced?

Thanks in advance!
2017-9-7
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Just be honest; It’s to easy to get tangled up in anything less.

Good Luck!
2017-9-7
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

They going to want proof so you're going to have to basically explain the event.  

How many feet was the MP from the surface of the water ?
2017-9-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

It's my understanding that they had so many people jump on the band wagon for the coverage and so many losses that they will replace it but then likely cancel.  I would consider it a one-shot deal.  Even my agent thinks along those lines.  That's why I moved almost everything over to USAA.  Right after a roof replacement (hail), they said they wouldn't be able to renew it.  State Farm has my drone ($30/yr) and some other personal articles (PAP).  This was my second roof in over 26 years.  We had everything through them before that.
2017-9-7
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

It probably depends on your agent. I've never had a drone replaced but have had several computers and network equipment replaced due to lightning. Every time, I go buy the replacements, hand him the receipts and he cuts me a check. I've never had to prove the stuff was fried.
2017-9-7
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I've never made a claim, but do hold a PAP policy on my drone.  It has nothing to do with how you incurred a loss; just that you did.

Make your claim in accordance with their process.  And don't automatically assume they will cancel you.  We're still waiting on the numbers to come in to prove or disprove future coverage.

Just FYI, my agent received additional policies just on my referral to others.  She surprised me with a $10 gift card to show her appreciation......
2017-9-7
Use props
jamesw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 169364 ft
United States

Thanks for the tips everyone. Any other tips are welcome too.
2017-9-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i haven't made a claim with my drone yet but i have with my sony camera, my agent is very nice.. my understanding however they want to get rid of drone coverage under PAP/specialized underwriter thing... one of my friends was interested in getting a mavic after i let him play around and what scared him away was the fact that almost every agent he spoke with refused cover, even my own agent... he found one girl willing to cover him at state farm about 2 hours away... but only up to a value of the drone body itself.. so $750~ish.  

as far as claims go, they may remove you off thee policy/cancel you after a single claim, this is true, up your agent and the underwriter...  however proof you will need is nearly zero with most agents just a clever honest explanation... sh**t happens..  thats why its insured..  ...  i explained my camera was stolen, they reviewed the case and same day cut me a check for complete value did not cancel me..didnt care for police report or anything, maybe because it was in europe when that happened but still it was like a casual convo and venting nothing major..
2017-9-7
Use props
MavWill
New
Flight distance : 190213 ft
United States

Thanks for posting this!  I hadn't even thought of insurance on my Mavic Pro!
2017-9-7
Use props
fans732c5648
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162139 ft
United States

Expect to see insurance for drones go away or premiums go way up.  Insurance companies aren't going to want to replace drones every time some one dips it into the water.
2017-9-7
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans732c5648 Posted at 2017-9-7 20:13
Expect to see insurance for drones go away or premiums go way up.  Insurance companies aren't going to want to replace drones every time some one dips it into the water.

i agree, state farm basically shot themselves in the foot with this system they have.  i dont blame them for wanting out but they should have been smarter about this.  like limit it to professional for all attachments and add ons for extended premium (i would still go for) and have very basic policy for casual users..  like replace the body only value.. not entered cost since that makes most sense..

however, i did speak to a friend who used to work in insurance, he said i maybe able to get away with insuring it as an "aerial camera" and since the completely cover cameras, should be ok but i may need to find a new agent that does not know my name or policies very well
2017-9-8
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I don't have any actual advice to offer because I've not had to use my policy (yet), but I will say that every time I've read a post from someone who filed a claim they mentioned that it was hassle-free and that they got their money quickly from State Farm. Yes, I seem to recall that one or two also had their policies canceled, but it apparently is decided on a case-by-case basis and doesn't seem to always be the case. Good luck.
2017-9-8
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

MavWill Posted at 2017-9-7 19:51
Thanks for posting this!  I hadn't even thought of insurance on my Mavic Pro!

The policies are inexpensive, comprehensive, and from what I've heard State Farm pays up without a hassle when a claim is filed. The only caveat is that the policies aren't available in every state and even in states where they're sold not every agent is willing to sell them. Check the second link in the first post of this thread to see if there's an agent in your state who has already sold a policy and if necessary call one of them to get your policy.
2017-9-8
Use props
Mike-PNW
lvl.3
Flight distance : 133642 ft
United States

I have made a claim,  told them it was crashed in the river ( and it did). They looked up the going value for a replacement and sent me a check. Very fast and easy to deal with.. HOWEVER!, they did cancel me afterwords. Only because i had been insured for a very short time before making a claim. ( about two weeks). Keep in mind that ALL insurance companies share a data base, your claim will be recorded for all to see.
2017-9-8
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

A hard lesson. I would be honest if this happened to me.
2017-9-8
Use props
Sosai X
lvl.1
Flight distance : 691900 ft
United States

Mike-PNW Posted at 2017-9-8 06:15
I have made a claim,  told them it was crashed in the river. They looked up the going value for a replacement and sent me a check. Very fast and easy to deal with.. HOWEVER!, they did cancel me afterwords. Only because i had been insured for a very short time before making a claim. ( about two weeks). Keep in mind that ALL insurance companies share a data base, your claim will be recorded for all to see.

I'm told by a few friends who are insurance agents (varying companies) that a PAP claim does not go into the system the same way a homeowners or auto one would.
2017-9-9
Use props
Sosai X
lvl.1
Flight distance : 691900 ft
United States

fans732c5648 Posted at 2017-9-7 20:13

Actually, I'd disagree; drone prices are generally trending down, not up, especially for the consumer market.  Knowing you'll get $60/yr from new customers - who may also bring new business with them in the form of auto, home, or life insurance - likely means that State Farm is going to make serious money on this.   Replacing a $1000 consumer drone (and again, prices are headed down) every so often while collecting $60/yr from potentially hundreds of thousands of new owners over the next several years, plus potentially earning their other insurance business, equals BIG MONEY to State Farm.

2017-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules