Compass error repeatedly on new drone
1184 4 2017-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

I recently received my spark back from dji with a bad gimbal (fixed under warranty) and after several failed update attempts, finally got it to update fully. As i prepared to fly, i noticed compass error on my screen. I was outside on the lawn where i have flown many times so i assumed i just needed to recalibrate. I did so and everything was green. Proceeded to take off and hovered at 5 feet. I noticed the spark rotating to the left (without input) and another compass error occured on my screen. I landed immediately and proceeded to calibrate the compass again. This happened two more times, the last at about 20 feet and started drifting to one side. I still had full control of the drone and had no problems landing at my feet. I went inside and did an imu and compass calibration and flew one more time successfully with no errors or issues. I havent been able to fly since its been raining.

I guess my question would be should i be worried with this? I have another spark (the wifes) and a mavic and have had no issues whatsoever. I imagine this could lead to another post about a spark flyaway if it happens when i am farther out.
2017-9-9
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Worried enough to demand a repair/return/replacement?  No.  Worried enough to test some more?  Absolutely.  When weather permits, fly some more.  Given that I'm recommending a test flight, my recommendation includes attempting to find a pretty clear/open location free of possible magnetic disturbances.  A park or open space.  If you fly without warnings or incidents, I think this is a good indicator that you have overcome the initial issue.  If you continue to encounter issues in "clean space", then I'd (unfortunately) consider that this spark may remain defective.
2017-9-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Agree with Charles Adams, please try what he suggested and keep us updated.
2017-9-10
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-10 00:00
Agree with Charles Adams, please try what he suggested and keep us updated.

It seems to have been cleared up since it flew perfectly today. My guess is that the IMU needed to be recalibrated, although it appeared normal in the settings. I will continue to be cautious and fly close to me but it looks like the problem is fixed. Thank you for the suggestions.
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Goatherdervt Posted at 2017-9-10 04:06
It seems to have been cleared up since it flew perfectly today. My guess is that the IMU needed to be recalibrated, although it appeared normal in the settings. I will continue to be cautious and fly close to me but it looks like the problem is fixed. Thank you for the suggestions.

Glad to hear that, hope you can enjoy the drone, happy flying! Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know, lots of members here are willing to help.
2017-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules