Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Antenna Signal Range Boosters... do they really work?
5349 18 2017-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

I live in an area that limits my reception to about 1600m and I was thining about purchasing thsoe range antenna boosters that are sold by third party companies for $15-20.  I was wondering if anyone uses these, if they can tell me what their opinion is of how much of an improvement they make on the range of their drone.  
Skyreat Antenna Signal Range Boosters

Thank you.
2017-9-9
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

3 days on this post and no replies?   (wow....) I have never used them, personally, the distance they have now is enough for me.  ESPECIALLY since I have to keep the drone in view....
2017-9-12
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-9-12 12:43
3 days on this post and no replies?   (wow....) I have never used them, personally, the distance they have now is enough for me.  ESPECIALLY since I have to keep the drone in view....

Thank you.  If nobody is using them, they must not be worth the money.  -I assume that is my answer.  hahaha
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

It's not a bad idea to do an internet search on what is advised on. Please keep in mind that we are unable to provide a suggestion as what works best. However, you also do not want to get anything that may cause a void on the warranty such as altering your product or opening up the product to install a third party item.
2017-9-13
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-13 07:48
It's not a bad idea to do an internet search on what is advised on. Please keep in mind that we are unable to provide a suggestion as what works best. However, you also do not want to get anything that may cause a void on the warranty such as altering your product or opening up the product to install a third party item.

Thank you Mark.
Yes, I did my homework, shopped the several manufacturers and compared their ratings.   Its the low price that makes me question how effective they are.  And yes, the last thing I want to do is add a non-DJI product that might be hit-and-miss when it comes to quality and performance.  I will continue to consider if its really something I need to add and pack everywhere I go.
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I wondered the same thing .. but doing some research online of via youtube has proven successful for me.
2017-9-13
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-13 10:48
I wondered the same thing .. but doing some research online of via youtube has proven successful for me.

Same here.  I'm looking at Amazon.com reviews .
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-13 10:20
Thank you Mark.
Yes, I did my homework, shopped the several manufacturers and compared their ratings.   Its the low price that makes me question how effective they are.  And yes, the last thing I want to do is add a non-DJI product that might be hit-and-miss when it comes to quality and performance.  I will continue to consider if its really something I need to add and pack everywhere I go.

Sure, I understand. Sounds like you are pretty well informed. Doing the homework is part of the process. Best of luck on your research
2017-9-13
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

If you get them... let me know.  I don't have a need for them, but I can understand why folks want em.

2017-9-14
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

I have a set on the way this week, in the simplest of terms they are merely a parabolic radio wave mirror.  IF they are made correctly they will help focus the radio waves towards the antenna to enhance the overall signal quality.  I ordered, from Amazon, the ones you linked to.  The only potential drawback I see is they wont necessarily stay completely parallel to the antenna because of their design.  However, I believe they can be jerry rigged to mitigate that problem.
I have seen other posts here where folks claimed they worked or helped, which is why I decided to make the buy.  For me about 17 bucks is a cheap price to pay for any level of improvement.  While I don't think I'll be taken on these, if so a small price to find out one way or the other.  I can tell you this they will have little effect for close in high altitude ops unless you lay out the antenna parallel to the ground.
If you get them let us know your experience with them, and I will do the same here.
2017-9-17
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is more people out there saying that they work for them and also video to back it up.
2017-9-17
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-17 15:57
There is more people out there saying that they work for them and also video to back it up.

I think the low price is what makes me question the value.  One of those "too good to be true" feelings.  Maraming salamat.
2017-9-17
Use props
Edward John Smi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1852408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-17 18:41
I think the low price is what makes me question the value.  One of those "too good to be true" feelings.  Maraming salamat.

I got a pair from Amazon and I was able to get 4830' /w and only got  3240'/wo if that helps you any. For$16-17 I thought they were ok. I might add that I was in the city so again I think they do an ok job.
2017-9-27
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.3

United States

Edward John Smi Posted at 2017-9-27 14:03
I got a pair from Amazon and I was able to get 4830' /w and only got  3240'/wo if that helps you any. For$16-17 I thought they were ok. I might add that I was in the city so again I think they do an ok job.

Thank you.  I live on the outskirts of a city of about 500,000 myself.  I'll ad them to my next amazon order.
2017-9-28
Use props
JamesWhenman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 426375 ft
United States

Thanks to all, for the knowledge of many helps the few. I am wary of getting a range booster installed, at least until the warranty is over.
Those slip on signal boosters do look like they work, as they focus the downward facing part back up into the sky. I plan on pointing the antennas'
toward the ground and then installing the slip on range extenders to face up and out. The pics on the web stores seem like you would have to hold the RC up and out towards
the bird to send the signal in the right direction while watching both the bird and the screen, possibly thru sun glare.
2017-10-23
Use props
makiyang
Banned

China

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-10-25
Use props
Ryan918
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

do you mean the parabolic reflectors? I have just ordered some and waiting for them to arrive, I will let you know...
2017-10-26
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Capt Whitefoot Posted at 2017-9-28 07:35
Thank you.  I live on the outskirts of a city of about 500,000 myself.  I'll ad them to my next amazon order.

I got them for 5 bucks delivered from China via Ebay, and immediately got maybe 1000 feet more, however it was a very hot day and lost video so I aborted the test, will try again now that the weather is cooling a bit and see if I can get some more freedom and confidence. I can say that the "parabolic" or really pseudo parabolic reflectors are a very cheap way to get better range or better in my case, reliable transmission within legal range which is what I want most.
2017-11-3
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ryan918 Posted at 2017-10-26 05:16
do you mean the parabolic reflectors? I have just ordered some and waiting for them to arrive, I will let you know...

I say pseudo parabolic because none of these are true parabolic they are more cylindrical, I saw a video on you tube that shows the difference in shape and the difference in results, if these were true parabolic they would be even better, the you tube video actually shows how to make your own.
2017-11-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules