You can stop DJI Go 4 running in background with Android 8 Oreo!
3577 23 2017-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Some time ago it actually looked like DJI was improving the background behavior (= battery use) of their app, but recently I discovered it was looking pretty bad again. But luckily Android 8 Oreo has a fix for that!

This is how the battery use looked on my Google Pixel at the end of a day, a few days ago. I did not have the DJI Go 4 app open at any time during the day, and other apps like Spotify and Chrome was actively used during the day:

DJI Go 4 battery use before limiting background activity

DJI Go 4 battery use before limiting background activity

But now I have tried the new Android 8 feature to restrict an app's background activity:

Change this setting!

Change this setting!

And now my phones battery use looks like below after a days use. DJI Go 4 is not to be found in the chart at all:

DJI Go 4 is not on the battery usage list anymore!

DJI Go 4 is not on the battery usage list anymore!

I'm yet to find out what exactly I sacrifices by doing this. Maybe firmware updates from app will be slower, but I usually update via DJI Assistant on my PC anyway. I might now need to manually trigger synchronization of flight data, but if it's just that, I can easily live with it.

I would greatly prefer a well-behaving app from DJI instead of forcing restrictions on the app, but apparently DJI doesn't bother - or they don't know how to make it?

2017-9-9
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

On a Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ running on Android 7, any app can be put to sleep permanently, unless when that app is being used, of course.
2017-9-9
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have similar functionality on my Mate 9 with Nougat...can shut down an app on screen close.

LP
2017-9-9
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

How about crashing of the app on Android 8?
2017-9-9
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Denmark

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-9 11:51
On a Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ running on Android 7, any app can be put to sleep permanently, unless when that app is being used, of course.

Hi MARSAN and LeafPeeper
So if you have used this feature with Go 4, what are your experiences? Any disadvantages turning off background activity?
2017-9-9
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Denmark

Mari Posted at 2017-9-9 13:09

I haven't actually had the chance to fly with it yet after upgrading to Android 8. But unlike for some others, the app has been pretty stable for me on my Android 7 over the summer.
2017-9-9
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-9-9 21:28
Hi MARSAN and LeafPeeper
So if you have used this feature with Go 4, what are your experiences? Any disadvantages turning off background activity?

Yes, I have definitely used the sleep mode for apps on my Samsung Galaxy S8 and certainly for DJI GO 4.
There are no disadvantages as far as I can tell.
2017-9-9
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-9-9 13:09

This crashing on Android is as far as I am concerned a total myth.
One example: I am using DJI GO 4 on my Samsung Galaxy S8 and have no issues with that app whatsoever.
A few other S8 users do have problems running DJI GO 4 on their device.
Now how can that be?
Same device, same app, one person has no issues, but another one does.
It would be very interesting to thoroughly check what the person who has problems is actually doing with his/her phone.
Has he/she rooted the device?
Are developer options active that shouldn't be?
Are there obnoxious apps of doubtful origin interfering with the CPU and its memory?
Has the device still got enough free memory?
2017-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I set this option on Oreo about 2 week ago.  No obvious side effects, it still flies perfectly fine on my Nexus 5x, no crashes.
2017-9-10
Use props
Didiko
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18399 ft
Belgium

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-10 00:27
One example: I am using DJI GO 4 on my Samsung Galaxy S8 and have no issues with that app whatsoever.
A few other S8 users do have problems running DJI GO 4 and their device.

Totally agree!
2017-9-10
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-9-9 21:28
Hi MARSAN and LeafPeeper

No downsides that I've found.    I also agree with others - it was rock solid on my Moto G3 with Marshmallow, and it's just as solid on my Mate 9 with Nougat.   It's as stable as any other app.

LP
2017-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Im wondering how many of these people complaining about android crashes have tried it on a clean install, factory reset device to rule out random crapware and software before blaming DJI.
2017-9-10
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

I did... and I don't blame DJI... It's allmost impossible to make an Android app that works on every device... Somewhere on this forum somebody linked to a Youtube video with explanation about the diversity of Android versions. Some brand have bloatware installed you can't remove. Having the same brand and type of device (for example Samsung S8) is no guarantee an app works like it should.

I'm happy with my iOS device...

2017-9-10
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

... for you it may be a myth, for others it is reality...

2017-9-10
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-9-10 09:30
... for you it may be a myth, for others it is reality...

How many Android users are there who really have issues with the DJI GO 4 app?
Isn't it suspicious that all of a sudden Apple products are being promoted in value, precisely a few days before the new iPhone launch?
BTW, there are also Apple users who have issues with the DJI GO 4 app.
2017-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Android makes up 85%+ of the device market so by that alone you'd expect to hear more about problems on that OS far more than the tiny share apple alternative.  Its simply numbers.
Another problem is people insist on buying Samsung who are anything but android.  They horrifically hack and butcher the OS thereby introducing far more scope for things to break (other manufacturers are almost as bad).

I know quite a few Mavic and Phantom android users and none have any issues with the app crashing or stopping at all.

I still think a factory reset would solve most peoples DJI problems by cleansing their device.  Most people run ridiculous amounts of apps and user installed bloatware along with things that hugely impact performance like task killers, battery savers and so on.
2017-9-10
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-9-10 09:51
How many Android users are there who really have issues with the DJI GO 4 app?
Isn't it suspicious that all of a sudden Apple products are being promoted in value, precisely a few days before the new iPhone launch?
BTW, there are also Apple users who have issues with the DJI GO 4 app.

You keep repeating yourself. You have no problems so there are no problems!

This is not the only forum where you can read about the problems people have with the app. Not only Samsung users but also other brands.

Please use the device you think is best.
2017-9-10
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-9-10 12:49
You keep repeating yourself. You have no problems so there are no problems!

This is not the only forum where you can read about the problems people have with the app. Not only Samsung users but also other brands.

Huh? Excuse me?
You keep advertising in this forum that Apple devices are the best thing the world has seen since sliced bread, and all of a sudden any device - even Android devices - will be just as good?
What happened?
Is your Apple fanboy paycheck late?
2017-9-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

...and obviously there are no problem with apple devices.  No CPU overload errors and slowdowns, no overheating issues.  Those are all figments of android users imaginations.
2017-9-10
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Denmark

Mari Posted at 2017-9-10 09:23
I did... and I don't blame DJI... It's allmost impossible to make an Android app that works on every device... Somewhere on this forum somebody linked to a Youtube video with explanation about the diversity of Android versions. Some brand have bloatware installed you can't remove. Having the same brand and type of device (for example Samsung S8) is no guarantee an app works like it should.

I'm happy with my iOS device...

Why did you ask if you have already settled on IOS?
Were you just trolling?

I think I have seen the video you are talking about. It has some points, but also have a lot of exaggerations (I'm a developer).
2017-9-10
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Netherlands

Why I asked? I use Android devices for years and years, the only Apple device I had was a iPod Classic...  Still want to use Android for flying my drone, but like I stated earlier, since app version 4.1.0. for me it was impossible to fly the drone without restarting the app several times. All tips and tricks posted on this forum I tried without any results. Despite I have bought an iOS device, I still hope that DJI will find a solution for the problems some of us have with the app on their android device.

Many ask if android device X or android device Y will be good enough for running the DJI Go 4 app and flying the drone... even if these devices are on the list of supported devices, it is no guarantee it will work. That was just wat I was saying, nothing more nothing less... And I also didn't deny that there are problems on iOS devices...
2017-9-11
Use props
djiuser_tZgVy73TdBPP
lvl.1

Greece

Hi guys i have one samsung galaxy tab E to fly my phantom 4 pro and i have issues lag lost signal for a few seconds
2018-9-4
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
lvl.2
United States

Hello Marsan,

You said "This crashing on Android is as far as I am concerned a total myth".   

I appologize, but dont think you possibly be more wrong!  Before spout off, why not do little research?  Check Go app rating on playstore, do google search, please read this forum for content........   I think you may be having fun?   So you phone work for you no issues.... what do that prove?   You dont have cancer so cancer dont exist?   I understand many like to just drink and hear sound of own voice, but I would be embarassed to say such thing.   You in effect disrespect other pilots who have gone to great lengths to make work on their android device and still much frustration. Disabling non critical apps, factory reset, following every how to guid on internet (me included) and still no joy, until find way to make proper install, but it cumbersome, and scary for non tech people.  

I little bit surprised to see such statement from person from Belgium.  Others I know from your country seem very level headed and rational.  Perhaps you just have bad day.  Anyway I hope you have good day, and no disrespect intended, but things can come across different than intend.

Happy day,

Jimmy
2018-9-10
Use props
djiuser_UIPhz5WHpUF8
lvl.1

China

To control the playing of Spotify songs, you can use the Spotify Songs Converter from AudFree. It can save the songs losslessly and you can play them when you want. The songs will not be played automatically with the help of the AudFree tool.
2020-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules