Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro goes full power on Hand Launching
6059 31 2017-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hand launching was and is never recommended by DJI, first it is very dangerous and second it is unsafe.
2017-9-9
Use props
dannykater
New
Denmark

Hi Guys,

Today i first time tried to land the Mavic Pro in my hand. Firstly i turned of the Vertical Sensors from the App and then landed it nicely in my hand. All good. Same story for launching from my hand, all nicely and easy.

Tonight i tried to hand launch 2 times again from a balcony but after i started the engines like normal my Mavic just started pulling up full power? I wasn't touching the sticks at all and sensors were off?

Any idea? Thanks!
2017-9-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Sounds like they weren't actually turned off. Many settings get reset after firmware updates, exiting intelligent flight modes, maybe some other scenarios as well -- maybe this happened to you?
2017-9-9
Use props
Asainz320
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

When hand launching keep in mind and any lift or drop of your hand your Mavic will pick it up. If you lower the Mavic just a tiny bit when your turn on the motors it will think that it is loosing altitude and will try to gain it back and maintain in place. If you keep holding it down it will try as hard as it can to lift up. Use the auto take off feature, its a lot easier.
2017-9-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

It is not recommended to use Hand launching with Mavic, that is too dangerous.
2017-9-9
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Turn off landing prtection in sensors menu trust me hand launching and landing silky smooth
2017-9-9
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

It is not recommended to hand launch. You can get cooties and the drone police will come out and berate you. Possibly even ask "Do you know how fast you were flying, son?!"
2017-9-10
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-9 20:53
Turn off landing prtection in sensors menu trust me  hand launching and landing silky smooth

This. Also, if you have the motors running and move your hand down the mavic will take off. Did you move?   You can start the motors and drop the mavic, it will recover and start hovering.
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have only hand landed when i was kayaking no way it was going to land safely on my kayak like i was hoping (def need a spark sized drone for that!) .. trick is hold it tight right under it, and i mean tight it can really pull trying to escape! and as level as possible so you dont slice yourself with it compesating for tilt.  and hold the left stick fully down until it accept landing and slows down..  
i cannot recommend it..  but maybe with VPS disabled  it wouldn't be as temperamental..
2017-9-10
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

No if u just disable landing protection you won't have to worry about it slicing you or any of that it won't rev up it just land super soft in your hand and shuts off almost instantly. Another thing I hate about Landing protection is you go to Lynn and it stops a few feet off of the ground asking you if it's safe in my opinion that's stupid because you have already started the sequence to land so you know what is around you already LOL of course its safe! Guess it is good for the newbies
2017-9-10
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-10 16:45
No if u just disable landing protection you won't have to worry about it slicing you or any of that it won't rev up it just land super soft in your hand and shuts off almost instantly. Another thing I hate about Landing protection is you go to Lynn and it stops a few feet off of the ground asking you if it's safe in my opinion that's stupid because you have already started the sequence to land so you know what is around you already LOL of course its safe! Guess it is good for the newbies

oh so that's landing protection..what a dangerous pos....  mine doesnt ask me if it should land most of the time.. just does it...  or it tells me unsuitable to land....
2017-9-10
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Yes it is stupid tbh i like to just land super soft and when i want.
2017-9-10
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Honestly I do not understand why so many people discourage hand landing - it is for sure safer for the Mavic in case of higher wind velocity and with lack of totally flat ground around. It is very simple to catch and hold down the (in my case) left stick to switch off the motors. If someone is seriously disabled then hand catching might not be the best choice but otherwise it is very simple. Landing protection should be switched off anyhow so that you don't get motor cut out in mid flight. Then you can catch the Mavic in your hand, don't need to hold on to it because it will not rev up - and just cut the engines. Simple and safe ;-)
2017-9-11
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I do not use this kind of landing.
I really believe that it is not safer then normal landing.
I do not blame anyone to practice it, but I do not see myself trying to do this.
2017-9-11
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would be afraid to try to hand launch or land. I's be worried it would head for my face and I'm already ugly enough without adding prop marks.
2017-9-11
Use props
CaveDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11549 ft
United States

I hand-catch and launch in certain areas. But only do it from the rear and above my head. Rare, but imperative in a few circumstances.
2017-9-19
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-9 11:31
Hand launching was and is never recommended by DJI, first it is very dangerous and second it is unsafe.

I think he asked a completely different question....  everybody knows the safety implications of hand launching or landing.... BTW, I think hand launching and landing is a skill that every good pilot should train to perfection... because you can save your drone in bad situations and you will be able to do it with more confidence, and will be able to keep your drone from sand, dust, water, irregular surfaces that can hit your gimbal, motors and blades....

#dronepolice
2017-9-19
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-19 17:30
I think he asked a completely different question....  everybody knows the safety implications of hand launching or landing.... BTW, I think hand launching and landing is a skill that every good pilot should train to perfection... because you can save your drone in bad situations and you will be able to do it with more confidence, and will be able to keep your drone from sand, dust, water, irregular surfaces that can hit your gimbal, motors and blades....

#dronepolice

Yes I agree. As many have tried, despite discouragements from the manufacturer which they should, it's actually quite easy and safe to hand launch/land even without turning off the bottom sensors. After few tries, I no longer triggered the bottom sensors. I only use both my thumb and index finger to slightly pinch beneath the area between the front legs (near the inner cable openings) and battery clip. The rest of my fingers are curled to provide minimal weight support mainly middle finger on the bottom side edge of the DJI logo. This also ensure my long index finger doesn't extend further than it should although there's enough clearance. Imagine if you're launching a paper airplane. For those who have no confident, practice this while the Mavic is off, blades fully extended. Try to pinch your Mavic using the method above and turn it upside down to check if the grip is good. When launching use the slider. When landing, pinch then full throttle down, lower the Mavic slowly as though it's landing on its own and it won't fight back. Remember to always keep good eye contact on the Mavic and it should be positioned slightly above your head.

As for the OP, I'm not sure as I have never encountered such situation during a hand launch even with the bottom sensors active. If this still occurs, probably use the CSC instead of the slider.
2017-9-19
Use props
Wes1977
lvl.2
Flight distance : 363862 ft
United States

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-9-19 23:36
Yes I agree. As many have tried, despite discouragements from the manufacturer which they should, it's actually quite easy and safe to hand launch/land even without turning off the bottom sensors. After few tries, I no longer triggered the bottom sensors. I only use both my thumb and index finger to slightly pinch beneath the area between the front legs (near the inner cable openings) and battery clip. The rest of my fingers are curled to provide minimal weight support mainly middle finger on the bottom side edge of the DJI logo. This also ensure my long index finger doesn't extend further than it should although there's enough clearance. Imagine if you're launching a paper airplane. For those who have no confident, practice this while the Mavic is off, blades fully extended. Try to pinch your Mavic using the method above and turn it upside down to check if the grip is good. When launching use the slider. When landing, pinch then full throttle down, lower the Mavic slowly as though it's landing on its own and it won't fight back. Remember to always keep good eye contact on the Mavic and it should be positioned slightly above your head.

As for the OP, I'm not sure as I have never encountered such situation during a hand launch even with the bottom sensors active. If this still occurs, probably use the CSC instead of the slider.

i don't see how you can do it with bottom sensors on.  It flys up everytime i reach for it with sensors on.
I do believe in having to hand launch/land.  If you want to be able to launch/land in a rough terrian area or boat, it has to be done.
2017-9-20
Use props
Sportbike_Pilot
First Officer
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've done it before. I quickly elevated then had to try again with the assistance of the left stick on down position, grab it quickly underneath and it shut down. Had to do it b/c it was in atti-mode (inside home) for a test run and almost hit the wall. Had to control then grab it. I would only find myself landing the MP in my palm in an emergency situation not to lift off.
2017-9-20
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wes1977 Posted at 2017-9-20 05:54
i don't see how you can do it with bottom sensors on.  It flys up everytime i reach for it with sensors on.
I do believe in having to hand launch/land.  If you want to be able to launch/land in a rough terrian area or boat, it has to be done.

As I posted before, there is no need to turn off the bottom sensor...

2017-9-20
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-9 20:05
It is not recommended to use Hand launching with Mavic, that is too dangerous.

And yet hand launching is advertised  to be ok with the spark? Mavic has 4 high speed spinning props and the spark has 4 very sharp high speed spinning props.... How is this better?
2017-9-20
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Singapore

Wes1977 Posted at 2017-9-20 05:54

While the Mavic is hovering, there'll be a slight 1-2secs delay before it reacts to something close to its bottom sensors. I make use of the delay to pinch that specific area then quickly hold full throttle down. Also the way I pinched that specific area with my wrist about 45degrees bent backwards, I'm only blocking one of the bottom-front ultra sound sensor, the rest are not blocked.

You could also easily use the palm land method in the video posted by @chalde without turning off the sensors but I prefer pinching the Mavic's bottom to get a good grip especially in high gusty wind, standing on uneven ground or even in very low light conditions.
2017-9-20
Use props
chalde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-9-20 11:00
While the Mavic is hovering, there'll be a slight 1-2secs delay before it reacts to something close to its bottom sensors. I make use of the delay to pinch that specific area then quickly full throttle down. Also the way I pinched that specific area with my wrist about 45degrees bent backwards, I'm only blocking one of the bottom-front ultra sound sensor, the rest are not blocked.

You could also easily use the palm land method in the video posted by @chalde without turning off the sensors but I prefer pinching the Mavic's bottom to get a good grip especially in high gusty wind, standing on uneven ground or even in very low light conditions.

Granted, in low light condition, if the sensor cannot see your hand, the Mavic will not land smoothly in your hand.

But I hate grabbing the mavic and forcing it to stop. It's like I'm fighting it and it wants to fly away by overloading the motors!
2017-9-20
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Singapore

chalde Posted at 2017-9-20 11:06
Granted, in low light condition, if the sensor cannot see your hand, the Mavic will not land smoothly in your hand.

But I hate grabbing the mavic and forcing it to stop. It's like I'm fighting it and it wants to fly away by overloading the motors!

The pinching method I'm using has never made the Mavic triggered its bottom sensors fighting to fly up. The motors are spinning consistently then cut off as if it has landed on the ground. I always leave the sensors on because I love to fly very low to the ground in sports mode doing fast continuous alternate forward and reversed figure 8s. Without the bottom sensors, I'll probably need more effort to control its height...
2017-9-20
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you really insist on hand catching/launching the easiest way is to put it on sport mode and it shuts off the sensors.
2017-9-20
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Singapore

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-20 16:47
If you really insist on hand catching/launching the easiest way is to put it on sport mode and it shuts off the sensors.

Only front sensors are disabled while in sports mode. The bottom sensors are still active in sports mode unless you've disabled it manually in the app.
2017-9-20
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-20 16:47

Putting in Sport mode will only disable the front sensors... it will still go up when you try to catch it...
2017-9-21
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

Doots Posted at 2017-9-10 12:33
It is not recommended to hand launch. You can get cooties and the drone police will come out and berate you. Possibly even ask "Do you know how fast you were flying, son?!"

cooties aside I have a small boat   Not bragging .....as such there is Nowhere on my small boat I can Launch from. hand launch is the only way and it takes fineness.

The most important thing is to pop up quickly and not go into the water at any time...
when hand launching it is a quick and swift maneuver that still a bit scary but when successfully done Brings me much joy...
intill the business of hand landing come into play( again small boat)
on landing you have to sneak up on mavic and hold firm while giving the controller the Double down maneuver again a bit scary but when done properly brings much joy avoiding water in all phase for mavicness is a beautiful thing
2017-9-21
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

CharlieFliesDro Posted at 2017-9-21 22:14
cooties aside I have a small boat   Not bragging .....as such there is Nowhere on my small boat I can Launch from. hand launch is the only way and it takes fineness.

The most important thing is to pop up quickly and not go into the water at any time...

You don't have to do the two-sticks-down method to land. You can just hold the left stick down for a couple of seconds and it'll start to land. It takes a second before the mavic reacts to your hand underneath it. I just grab it's belly with a firm grip and at the same time I hold the left stick straight down. It's tries to go up but after a second the motors shut off. But be warned! I'm infected with the incurable strain of the Cooties now.
2017-9-27
Use props
fansa87d2dd7
New

United States

I crashed my mavic air 2 into a side of a shed. Was just a small bump but enough to crash. I flipped over and it looked OK. When I took off again it went into full power and just took off. I couldn't control it, cancel it, return it to home or anything. I lost connection a mile out and 1200 meters high. Any reason why something like this would happen? I'm glad it was in a very wooded area but I'm nervous to get another one.
2023-2-25
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fansa87d2dd7 Posted at 2-25 09:45
I crashed my mavic air 2 into a side of a shed. Was just a small bump but enough to crash. I flipped over and it looked OK. When I took off again it went into full power and just took off. I couldn't control it, cancel it, return it to home or anything. I lost connection a mile out and 1200 meters high. Any reason why something like this would happen? I'm glad it was in a very wooded area but I'm nervous to get another one.

Hi,

Without a flightlog it is difficult to help you.

Upload your log using > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link on here

cheers
JJB
2023-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules