894 15 2017-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bassistas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 355377 ft
Greece

Hello,
I am very frustrated, I was trying to record an event outside a house at night. I sent the take off command from the controler and the drone started to hover as usual in the 1.2m above the ground and it was stable. I was in gps mode. Then while I was trying to change some settings inside the dji go app for the camera the drone started going forward by its own and finally hit a tree near the house and fell to the ground. I am shocked of what happened and I cannot understant why. There was no wind and the weather was perfect. Finally the drone still works but I think DJI have to give me an explanation about this. The drone now has some minor scuffs and marks on the edges of the body and I really dont like to pay for replacement parts for an accident not caused by the operator. If it was day ofcourse the sensors could avoid the crash but its not acceptable for a drone so expensive like this with all this technology inside to go out of control and crash in a tree!! Can anyone help on how I can retreive the flight log data? can anyone analyse it and give me an explanation?
thanks
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please post a link to the flight LOG.
www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload

We can disect the flight, and try to discover what happened...

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As RHP said phantomhelp might give you a better understanding of what happened.
2017-9-10
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Greece

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-9-10 14:09
Please post a link to the flight LOG.
www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload

Here is the link which I think is the correct file.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/G3F2CWNNBF8RBM7EWCW6/
but as I can see it says ATTI mode and I am sure I was in GPS mode. I had 6 or 7 sattelites before take off. Also some other values are at zero.  I also cant see  the crash or the motors that stopped due to the hit by the tree there is no error about that. Can the file be corrupted for some reason?
Also the file from the next flight after the crash is here:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/S0YMOU68NCRCNJQZ89FQ/
it seems normal.
2017-9-10
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

bassistas Posted at 2017-9-10 15:12
but as I can see it says ATTI mode and I am sure I was in GPS mode. I had 6 or 7 sattelites before take off. Also some other values are at zero.  I also cant see  the crash or the motors that stopped due to the hit by the tree there is no error about that. Can the file be corrupted for some reason?

Maybe you switched it to atti mode, this disables all the sensors and maybe that what caused your crashed
2017-9-10
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Greece

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-9-10 15:21
Maybe you switched it to atti mode, this disables all the sensors and maybe that what caused your crashed

This is very strange because I had also disabled the multiple flight mode in the dji go app. So I couldnt had it on ATTI mode by my mistake on the controller. Also why there is no mention on the log about the crash or the motors that stopped? It says speed zero and home distance zero during this short flight.
2017-9-10
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

bassistas Posted at 2017-9-10 15:33
This is very strange because I had also disabled the multiple flight mode in the dji go app. So I couldnt had it on ATTI mode by my mistake on the controller. Also why there is no mention on the log about the crash or the motors that stopped? It says speed zero and home distance zero during this short flight.

How much damage is there to your drone?
2017-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Look man it's a simple case of taking off before you had gps lock, you aircraft was in Atti mode, you also pushed forward for a split second which caused your AC to move forward, no more stick movements to try to retrieve,
Luckily not to much damage, notch it down to experience.
Good luck.
2017-9-10
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

I never take off, before having between 15-20 satellites connected.  That's just me. Once I start the drone,
I do a short preflight checklist, and by then, the connections have been made.

RedHotPoker
2017-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bassistas Posted at 2017-9-10 15:33

Disabling multiple flight won't stop aircraft going into Atti mode, you were in p mode but Atti is automatic when no gps.
2017-9-10
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-10 15:43
Disabling multiple flight won't stop aircraft going into Atti mode, you were in p mode but Atti is automatic when no gps.

Yea I forgot about that it does switch to ATTI mode when the GPS isnt found or weak
2017-9-10
Use props
bassistas
lvl.3
Greece

BagoDJIoperator Posted at 2017-9-10 15:36
How much damage is there to your drone?

it is still fully functional. I have done an IMU , compass and gimbal calibration after the crash. It seems to be working like it should, its stable  in the air and the camera/gimbal works good except some minor gimbal shake sometimes which was there also before the crash and because I am using the drone very often for my work I couldnt wait 1 month for an RMA. So nothing changed as I said except some scuffs on the edges of the  landing legs and and some very minor on the edges near the motors. The height it fell was about 3 to 4 meteres from the ground and because it fell inside the tree foliage it somewhat reduced the drop speed
2017-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

bassistas Posted at 2017-9-10 15:41
it is still fully functional. I have done an IMU , compass and gimbal calibration after the crash. It seems to be working like it should, its stable  in the air and the camera/gimbal works good except some minor gimbal shake sometimes which was there also before the crash and because I am using the drone very often for my work I couldnt wait 1 month for an RMA. So nothing changed as I said except some scuffs on the edges of the  landing legs and and some very minor on the edges near the motors. The height it fell was about 3 to 4 meteres from the ground and because it fell inside the tree foliage it somewhat reduced the drop speed

This might help to avoid same happening in the future.

start AC leave until you receive enough gps lock ,

Raise AC to height of 8ft
Hover for 20 seconds
Fly forward 2ft
Backward 2ft
Left 2ft
Right 2ft
Up 2ft
Down 2ft
Yaw left
Yaw right
Each time returning to hover position
If you have a good horizontal each time, you will then know you have good GPS good IMU and good Compass, and your ready to fly.

This exercise takes less than 2 minutes and is worthwhile doing before every flight,
2017-9-10
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Second Officer
United States

bassistas Posted at 2017-9-10 15:41

Thats good you dont have much structural  damage and everything seems to be working good. Just be safe before start flying make sure you have good GPS. Like Halmark007 said follow those procedures and everything will be fine.
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about the crash accident, if the drone was damaged, we suggest to send it in for data analysis and repair.
Like Hallmark suggested, it would be a great method to check the status of aircraft before flight.
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

You can always sign up for a repair. You would do that here: http://www.dji.com/service/repair
2017-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules