Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Bob Marley's New Bird w/ 1st TORNADO AFTERMATH Video !!!
22402 298 2015-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Propslinger Posted at 2015-4-4 22:46
REALLY!! Come on dude, why would you want to incite chaos? "so many stupid and ignorant people on  ...

Sorry you took offense but I am simply stating the clear and obvious, I realize reality is hard to accept for some.......
2015-4-4
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-4 05:59
^^^ This is an example of all the useless clutter that gets posted and makes it so hard to find us ...

Bob you are absolutly correct about the bs clutter , some forums are pretty good when it comes to rc info, this one is like some social media argument with some having no clue. Some will look up anything they can only trying to disprove your posts , and still some just couldn't understand or didn't read the posts at all ? Your info is correct that's all , and still others can't except the right answers No matter what.
2015-4-4
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-4 06:51
No, Don't !!!!

You CANNOT use a Charger of any kind in place of a Power Supply.

Understood ,  no cutting for now  going to wait and see what you come up with. Thanks Bob.
2015-4-4
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

No, Don't !!!!

Yes that makes perfect sense to me , thanks bob.
2015-4-4
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

No, Don't !!!!

Yes that makes perfect sense to me , thanks
2015-4-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-4 12:58
You are looking at it incorrectly Rich.
I am not sure why it's so hard for people to grasp, (not j ...

I see your point and understand. I heard the DJI is coming out with a larger charging solution soon.  When I am able, I will make up some test leads for my 1200 watt power supply and set it for 24.5 volts. I will time the charging session and let you know.
2015-4-4
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-4-4 20:15
Does Rodger need anger management ? He's very aggresive

No kidding what a baby . Thought Rodger sold his inspire .. Said he never flew it as it sits in the closet ...
2015-4-4
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-4 13:52
You are so completely clueless about what you are talking about in your last 2 posts it's sickenin ...

My thoughts exactly , lots of bull, tons of arguments on who knows nothing , and plenty of know it all professors of no clue , just ones who want to be always correct and will never admit when they are wrong , this forum is one of the worst for Good reliable info or other RC equipment information with lots of posts just not even close to correct answers. Whiners with new toys bitching for free stuff etc. Then they will challenge every word or post and get shi..y with you cause they do not get it ....or agree ...or don't understand. Like a bunch of kids on Facebook blah blah blah ....Sickening and nothing needed for success here with  DJIs products ! DJI has always been ahead of the pack and always worked perfectly for me so the forum is useless. There's plenty of reliable sources and forums around , this one is a circus.
No more wasted time here, just get out and fly and be creative have some fun.....
2015-4-4
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I hate to admit it, but bob is right about the larger power supply. But he's wrong about charging faster. There is a protection circuit built to keep the batteries from charging too fast which could result in a burst and fire. This is the same thing that would happen should you discharge the battery too fast, it will get hot.
I also have to admit that I wrote that intentionally to get bob off the forum. He is a narcissists and is demeaning towards others. To me this type of dis respectfulness must not be tolerated.
Bob if you read this, please seek anger management counselling. I'm sure you can be civil and share your knowledge without feeling the need to insult other people. Until then, please refrain from attacking people.
2015-4-4
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-5 01:59
I hate to admit it, but bob is right about the larger power supply. But he's wrong about charging fa ...
But he's wrong about charging faster. There is a protection circuit built to keep the batteries from charging too fast which could result in a burst and fire. This is the same thing that would happen should you discharge the battery too fast, it will get hot.

We don't know if he is wrong ... Maybe the charger only wants the power it's getting from the driver ... But as the driver is giving the charger all it got at the moment it is possible that it can handle more wich then would result in faster charging with a more powerfull driver ... And also beeing faster at charging when you connect both the transmitter and the battery to the driver (or multiple batteries even)
2015-4-4
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

Right on Bob! Great presentation.
Now I'm gonna go back and play that egg catching game.
2015-4-4
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

I won't argue and be a " know it all whiner" ? Not entirely sure who was targeted for that remark never mind though. There are numerous articles and schematics that show clearly how a charging circuit is designed so I won't waste time on that, suffice it to say that in order for a power supply and charger to work correctly and thus receive a certification from an electrical safety organization such as CSA, it will require some level of safety built in to ... Prevent electrocution by the user, prevent interference to other electrical devices and to prevent fire or explosion of the device. Does this sound reasonable? Does it make sense? Does it sound uneducated?
So as we all should know a rapid discharge of a high output storage cell will destabilize the compounds and potentially cause a failure of the device via fire or explosion or simply damage it and ruin it rendering it useless. Does this make sense? Does it sound reasonable?
Charging a battery faster than recommended will achieve the same results as discharging it too fast, excessive heat so a circuit is required to protect the user from attempting to override this safety issue. We're it not for a simple fuse many electrical devices would cause fire or other undesirable outcomes. This is why I agree that the power supply is marginally capable but meets the minimum safety standards and does deliver the required voltage and current to the device. The device may accept marginally higher current until it will no longer accept any additional current as the protection circuit will choke it to prevent damage or fire etc. So potentially you could throw more current at it but it likely won't except it without modification. And I'm sure of this because no electrical appliance can be sold in this country unless it meets or exceeds these safety requirements ... Period. Does this make sense? Does it seem reasonable. Have I insulted anybody? If I have I apologize.
2015-4-4
Use props
e350coupe
lvl.2

Canada

Ok I have read this post from start to finish and want to add my 5 cents worth.

First of all although I spent the last 32 years working for the government I was trained and certified as an electrician in 1975 where I was recruited for a more profitable career.  At the age of 5 I was making a telegraph system to talk on and by age 7-8 I had designed an alarm system to keep all my numerous older brothers out of my room and taking my acquired gadgets and candy from me.

Wattage does equal voltage times amperage. This is a straight forward fact.  I try to explain this as, say you need to fill up a 5 gallon bucket full of water if you use a half inch hose with 35 psi of water pressure then it will take so many minutes.  The dia. of the hose is the voltage, the psi is the amperage and the size of the 5 gallon bucket full is the wattage.

Now if this was a normal regular type of battery then the theory of maintaining the voltage at a constant, and increasing the current to the maximum amount permissible would in effect charge our batteries very quickly.  However our batteries are not regular batteries and as explained by some people too much current will actually overheat and quickly destroy these batteries.

Think of this when you were a kid and got a candy bar every couple of days or so, no problem right, but then comes halloween and you eat all the candy you can that night, and the result you are quite sick the next day.

In this case the battery might very well want all the current it can get but I guarantee your battery will get sick and be useless the following day if you over charge these puppies.

Now lets see what DJI did with these chargers which in my case get warm but not hot.  By setting the maximum output of 100 watts they are limiting the amount of candy that can be fed to the battery at a time.  In this case I suspect that 4.2 amps it probably the maximum initial current that these batteries can safely take.  We know that the cells are a combination of 6 cells and that they are in parallel otherwise they could not be able to monitored separately.  If we take the 4.2 amps and divide by 6 we see that each cell is getting .7 of an amp at 22.2 or 22.8 volts.  

This is probably the maximum current that these cells can take without getting sick, or die and require warranty under the 90 day policy even though the CSA (canadian standards association) stipulates every electronic item sold in Canada must have a 1 year warranty, but this is another topic for another day.

Lithium type batteries are a strange breed, they do not like to give out lots of current and they are not capable of accepting lots of current in their current configuration.  This is why when used in automotive circumstances, that we see voltage from 320 upwards to 550 volts in automotive.  By keeping the voltages high we are able to reduce the current in order to supply the necessary wattage.

Now I found the post quite interesting, however when the assumptions were made, it did not take into account that the type of battery is lithium ion or polymer of hybrid of some type.  

As for the charger getting hot, in the electronic world, this is really not hot, just warm, I have worked in electrical vaults where the temperature is upwards of 200f and I can tell you that most people cannot hold something in the range of 120-130 for more then a few seconds.  

I did read in the manual that you should not charge the battery and controller at the same time, I suspect the controller has a different voltage input then the battery does and this is the reason for this.  I do know you can use the extra cable to have your battery charge the controller and thus this is how I know the controller battery is of a lower value.

Now to answer the question between charger or supply, the correct exam question is that the higher rated or supplying voltage is the charger.  This is how the battery acts as a charger when you use the extra supplied cord and attach the depleted battery to the remote control and that it will charge the controller until the battery is completely exhausted.  This is tried and tested and it was another forum member who suggested it.  As long as the supply voltage is higher then the receiving battery then the unit will charge to its maximum capacity.  We note our chargers are 25.2 volts and the batteries 22.2 to 22.8 volts if I remember correctly thus they all get charged.  To prove this take 2 car batteries one fully charged and one say almost exhausted attach them in parallel and come back a little later the higher voltage battery will be depleted to charge the lower voltage and they will now be almost exactly the same voltage.  Once again 2 buckets of water one full and one empty with a hose connecting them together go away and when you come back they will be exactly the same.

As for the 18 gauge wire issue, this is one thing that manufacturers always play around with.  In school there are gauge sizes and current capacities that are commonly accepted.  12 gauge is 20 amps 14 gauge is 15 amps and so on, and on.  These are ratings for solid wire and like a person posted the electricity travels on the outside of the wire thus stranded wire can handle higher current ratings for it's given size, then there is fine stranded wire use for flexibility, and cold conditions commonly used in welding cable, and finally supposedly oxygen free wire that is sealed with even finer strands to handle more flexible conditions such as vibration from a car etc.

Now the issue of 40 amps on an 18 gauge wire, I would not say it is not possible but I have extreme concerns and I personally would never, never, never, ever consider it.  I just wired an add on circuit in a vehicle requiring 40 amps and I can tell you I used 8 gauge oxygen free high finely stranded cable, and this was over a length of 22 feet.  I am not saying it impossible as I have seen 10 and 12 gauge jumper cables claiming a rating of 400 amps.  So the correct answer would be possible but realistically not feasible.

Now my final opinion is that DJI has figured out that the maximum safe charging current for each cell of their batteries is .7 of an amp times the 6 cells and thus the 4.2 amp charger/power supply is their way of regulating the maximum current being provided to their batteries.

In short, they made it, they designed it, so don't fxxx with it.  At least if you want warranty, and don't want these things to explode on you, been there and done that to.

Now can we all please just get along (oh and send my cheque for 22 million)
2015-4-4
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

All that is fine but not on topic of power supplies. The discussion was orbiting around the warm power supply. The idea is that the supplied power supply is only capable of meeting the demand, as Bob so elequently stated....he is correct. He is also correct in stating that a larger power supply will be more efficient and deliver the power without the excessive heat. He strays with regard to decreased charging times without the removal of the protection circuit that will be built into the charger that resides on each battery. Without either a fuse or a resister in the front end of these batteries they would except whatever amperage you could throw at them and I guarantee you a very rapid charge indeed if the battery was exposed to a wide open 40 amp 24 volt power supply. It would more than likely catch fire in under a minute and potentially explode. I would love for someone to try this for a laugh but please remember lithium poly batteries don't like water. Also the fumes are super nasty.
For the price of these power supplies there is no reason to by a larger one, you can get 5 or 6 of these for the same price as 1 decent 40 amp unit. Just plug em all into a power bar and your off to the races.
2015-4-4
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-5 12:27
All that is fine but not on topic of power supplies. The discussion was orbiting around the warm pow ...

Wow ... You need to start reading from the beginning ...
Cause you made some faulty conclusions of what Bob was trying to explain to us!

You are the one who has gotten slightly of topic my friend

It is very easy to say that some one is wrong ... If you have not understood what they are saying ...
2015-4-4
Use props
dundee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

Dangair Posted at 2015-4-5 12:27
All that is fine but not on topic of power supplies. The discussion was orbiting around the warm pow ...

Totaly agree with you Dangair. Also Bob is totaly correct on this.
Although i like to see a stock power supply with a bit more juice (maybe 150watt and not 100w)

BUT !!!
1) Warranty issues, safety etc.. should let you think before going to the after market items.
2) In my , i have 6 stock power supplies.  I can still charge if 1,2,3,4 or 5 fails. (not so with a 1 robust central power supply)

As i see it now, both systems (stock or after market) have pros and cons.
Building both systems in the box with a switch is not an option for me.
2015-4-4
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

e350coupe Posted at 2015-4-5 12:05
Ok I have read this post from start to finish and want to add my 5 cents worth.

First of all althou ...

Interesting, I always likened PSI (water pressure) to the volts, as potential difference seems like pressure to me, and water flow, to Amps, as in volume moved.  
You've used them the other way round.

In my scenario, you need the water pressure to break down any resistance to flow, or push it uphill, so to speak.

Always seemed ok to me, as you can have massive flow of volume of water (Amps) with very little pressure (Volts) such as a fast flowing river, or, massive pressure (volts) with little flow (Amps) such as a pressure washer/steam cleaner.
The river might flow 1000 buckets of water a minute at virtually zero pressure (volts) and the pressure washer might only flow one o two buckets in the same time with a 1000psi, but very low flow rate (Amps).

Anyways, not arguing, just interested to see how different people explain things different ways.

Interesting post btw, thank you.

Jon
2015-4-5
Use props
pops52
lvl.2

United States

Love the charging station you made Dundee.

2015-4-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

dundee Posted at 2015-4-5 14:29
Although i like to see a stock  ...

Yep Dundee, your absolutely bang on. I stated that I agree with bob and for the most part he's right, but attempting to ram more current into the battery is not gonna be a good idea and more than likely wont work without modification to the charging circuit. The power supply gets warm, for sure, and over time it's innards will break down and fail. It would be better to operate a power supply at 75% rather than 97%. And it still makes more sense to by multiple power supplies at $80 a piece than one unit at 5-600 at least if one power supply bites the bullet you still have the others whereas if the $500 dollar unit gacks you are stuck. And to summarize, while we have seen other problems with the Inspire, the power supply does not seem to be one of them, other than getting warmer than desired.
2015-4-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-4-5 14:04
Wow ... You need to start reading from the beginning ...
Cause you made some faulty conclusions o ...

As for your comment, I understand full well what bob was saying, but you have to read between the insults to makes sense of it. And it wasn't just me he was insulting , if you read the preceding comments. I don't take anyone seriously if they can't comunicate without belittling the other person, or in this case persons. If you wish to support that type of behaviour... Go for it. I stand up for people in real life too... I don't tolerate bullying or disrespectfulness it's un professional.
2015-4-5
Use props
e350coupe
lvl.2

Canada

I like the way this 6 pack charger was done in that it limits the available charge to each individual battery.  Each battery is limited to only 4.2 amps maximum.  With a bulk charger of say 25 amps and  all 6 batteries charging at once then each battery is more or less limited to 4.2 amps but when only 2 batteries are charging then each battery has access to 12.5 amps.

I wonder what reading Bob would get from his meter as the battery slowly got charged, typically they are at 98 watts during initial startup of a charge but as the battery starts to get full the current level tapers off.
2015-4-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

e350coupe Posted at 2015-4-6 00:51
I like the way this 6 pack charger was done in that it limits the available charge to each individ ...

As bob said, and he was sorta right... the power supply only delivers what is allowed to enter. If you had a 200 amp power supply, the charging circuit would only allow 4 amps plus or minus to enter. If it allowed the full 200 amps, the end result would be smokey. This is why attempting to increase the current ( or amperage ) would only serve to reduce heat created by the power supply and not majorly alter charging times.
2015-4-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

If you read the label on the power supply it states the input @AC 100-200v , 1.4 amps and because this is a regulated power supply it will accept 120 v at 1.4 amps which is equal to 160 watts in.
on the output side we have DC 26.3 v at 3.83 amps which equals 100.729 watts. This means that this power supply was designed to release 59.271 watts in the form of heat. And that is the answer to the heat question. when you hold the unit in your hand the heat being felt is 60 watts of lost energy. The engineers should have known this or they would have upped the output capacity of this power supply to conform to the demand.
Now I didnt need to cut a cord and attach a cheap HobbyKing inline power meter to derive this information... it's clearly printed in microscopic letters and numbers on the face of the power supply. And since I actually do know basic electrical theory it is rather easy to understand what is happening here.
2015-4-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Dundee, I think you are correct but I feel the output shout be in the 200 watt range. By reducing load on the transformer the internal parts will last longer. I see this as a unit cost issue though and in this case DJI found the most cost effective solution. In addition, when the power supplies do wear out there is a continued reliance on their power supplies. However a quick search on the internet revealed power supplies of the same specs at cheaper prices. But they wont work on laptops!
2015-4-5
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-4 06:01
When was the last time you had 10 feet of wire between your battery and ESC? - just plain dumb

I  ...

If you could read, I stated the Chart stated 10 feet, If you want I'll post 1,000 feet! Bob, you are showing your intelligence! You stated that you are doing hundreds of tests using you "Watt Meter" A Watt Meter is used to measure the output of a RF Transmitter! To measure Current you need an Amp Meter! I'll give you a little help here, the Amp Meter goes in series with the circuit.

I am looking at your Post's and you seem to have a social problem!
2015-4-5
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-4-4 00:03
Uh oh. I expect Bob to go high and right again. Where's that popcorn emoticon?

Definitely has an issue with this group, can't take anything negative. Lt him go, We are not going to get into a flaming contest.
2015-4-5
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Lets just make them red (or green) using transparent ink ... And the problem is solved then ... GREAT !
2015-4-5
Use props
houston
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21241217 ft
  • >>>
United States

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-4-3 21:11
40 Amps!?  Really? Are you sure?

I am not sure what gauge the wire is coming from the charger but here is a amp to wire gauge chart that might help.
2015-4-5
Use props
T J Gilbert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Dang, Bob!
Your choice of avatars is still off...
It should be this:
Not this:

bob_marley_by_jamesf63-d4za6s2.jpg
dos-equis-most-interesting-guy-in-the-world.jpeg
2015-4-5
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

^^^ This is an example of all the useless clutter that gets posted and makes it so hard to find us ...

I looked around a little for a higher wattage power supply, and did not see anything price point that had the voltage and wattage for 3-4 batteries.

1) Could you please recommend one?
2) Have you discovered the maximum watts/amps the battery charging circuit will allow you to pull.
2015-4-5
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

Bob Marley Posted at 2015-4-4 05:54
My power supply is getting HOT ... 1) - But I am expecting it to get hot as it is for 100 watts an ...

Please correct me if I am wrong...there are different types of power supply designs, and I am not sure what the design of the DJI unit is internally.

AC and DC powered power supplies can be regulated and unregulated...generally referring to voltage output tolerances.

Another type of power supply that is normally DC Powered (an inverter) power supply, can use a switching circuit design to convert the output to AC or higher DC voltages than the source voltage
2015-4-5
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

DJK I looked on the Internet simply typing in 24 Vdc power supplies and found several alternatives. The input and output voltages must be correct and some are adjustable +/- 1vdc on the output. The amperage is less important provided it is not less than the required 5 ish amps. But bear in mind the price point goes up very quickly with the higher current ratings.
2015-4-5
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

houston Posted at 2015-4-6 07:24
I am not sure what gauge the wire is coming from the charger but here is a amp to wire gauge chart ...

Houston we have a problem (or do we!?) ...

I don't know why the 40 AMPS was brought up as the charger would most probably never ask for that much from the supplier any ways ...
The only way to get the supplier to deliver that much would be to charge multiple batteries ... But then you would use multiple cables so ... Still no problem !

Some people was to upset from Bobs "social skills" to be able to grasp what he was actually saying
2015-4-5
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-4-6 14:59
The 40 Amp discussion only came about because Bob was trying again to belittle the other posters.

Move on ... To where ... And why !?

I used to be like Bob ... I wasn't aware of it back then ...
I never ment to hurt any one ... I didn't understand other peoples feelings ... In some ways I still don't (as I am not offended by people like Bob).
He is only speaking his mind ... And for me thats ok ... I am having problems with them other folks (who is not saying what they are thinking)

It's called autism ... And alot of us are autistic in some way

So ... Where are we going?
2015-4-5
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

w1der Posted at 2015-4-6 15:27
Move on ... To where ... And why !?

I used to be like Bob ... I wasn't aware of it back then . ...

On to discussing the Inspire1.

This is not www.talk-about-bob.com
2015-4-6
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-4-6 16:13
On to discussing the Inspire1.

This is not www.talk-about-bob.com

Well ... Bob isn't here any more ... So we are back to guessing and reffering to the manual

I think I am being ironic now ... Not sure ...
2015-4-6
Use props
jon
lvl.3

United Kingdom

w1der Posted at 2015-4-6 17:29
Well ... Bob isn't here any more ... So we are back to guessing and reffering to the manual

That method is probably safer anyway.
2015-4-6
Use props
jhanson290
lvl.1

United States

I agree with everything you have said.  Although....  I have a lot of devices with power supplies in my house.  Routers, computers, external HD, modems, xbox one, DJI quads.   All of them get hot.  All.  Are you saying non of them are sufficient because of this?
2015-4-6
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

jhanson290@gmai Posted at 2015-4-7 03:17
I agree with everything you have said.  Although....  I have a lot of devices with power supplies  ...

Buy yourself a temp gun on amazon, (they're pretty cheap) then take temps of all your different Power Supplies, then post the pics so we can all see them, (you know, like I do) Then you can talk.

In the meanwhile, if you agree with everything, how in the world did you just miss the FACT that I posted the TB48 states in the manual that it wants 180w from the supplied 100w watt charger. Even DJI recognizes it and is addressing the problem (with a more powerful power supply). If you don't think that's a problem, I don't know what else I can say to you. Take some temps of all your Power Supplies so we can see your facts, not words.
2015-4-6
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

Here are SOME PICTURES as an example to show the particular curve of watts that the Charger is asking from the power supply.
(this is not a fully discharged battery pack, I am bringing it up from shipping charge to fully charged.

Without the watt meter guys can talk out their arses all day long, (and we know who they are - lol)
but WITH the watt meter we can all see EXACTLY what is going on.
(now you guys can understand why I spliced in the "truth meter" - opinions suck, facts are what works)

Bob "the truth hurts some" Marley
2015-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules