Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
is an osmo worth it
3019 20 2017-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

would an osmo be worth it how much do you all use them? and what for?
2017-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

With 3-axis stabilization, the Osmo series products keep the camera flat no matter how you move it, whether you are live streaming or shooting film.

2017-9-10
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I recently purchased the Osmo.  It's an interesting piece of technology.  I find it does a great job outdoors, but I am disappointed with my shots indoors.  I wish they could improve the low light performance.
2017-9-11
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
United States

Can the osmo interchange with the cellphone osmo handle?
2017-9-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

EagleEyeUAV Posted at 2017-9-11 05:48
Can the osmo interchange with the cellphone osmo handle?

Yes but you will need to purchase a separate gizmo to fit your mobile phone, I have one and it works just great.
2017-9-11
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
United States

are those expensive?
2017-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I guess that depends what you are planning to shoot with it.
For me (at this moment) I am saving for a drone (first) and have not decided upon buying either a gimbal for my DSLR OR a osmo for some smooth motion shots from the ground.
Other than the money, my hesitations are about the image quality and lack of depth of field on the osmo.
But I like the 'convenience' comparing to a DSLR + gimbal option.
2017-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-11 04:28
I recently purchased the Osmo.  It's an interesting piece of technology.  I find it does a great job outdoors, but I am disappointed with my shots indoors.  I wish they could improve the low light performance.

That is one of the things holding me back. I am spoiled having a large DSLR most of the time, but I do love to shoot indoor also.
And the RAW is far to expensive for what I'm planning on using it for.
2017-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-11 04:28

PS, do you have an example online?
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

What I found best about the Osmo are the angles and the stabile footage while using it for footage.
2017-9-11
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-11 13:20
PS, do you have an example online?

I do not. I do real estate photography and the low light performace of the Osmo does not compare with my Nikon d5500. So I have not posted anything online.
2017-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-11 13:16
What I found best about the Osmo are the angles and the stabile footage while using it for footage.

Yes, that gives a unique look.
But I would love to combine that with better low light capabilities and shallow dof.
2017-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-11 13:48
I do not. I do real estate photography and the low light performace of the Osmo does not compare with my Nikon d5500. So I have not posted anything online.

I can imagine. I love my D610
Just need more stabile foitage sonetimes
2017-9-11
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-11 13:53
I can imagine. I love my D610
Just need more stabile foitage sonetimes

I wish I had just purchased a 3 axis stabilizer for my Nikon. I purchased a manual steadycam, but the weight of it and my camera is just too tiring.
2017-9-11
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-9-11 16:21
I wish I had just purchased a 3 axis stabilizer for my Nikon. I purchased a manual steadycam, but the weight of it and my camera is just too tiring.

Yes, that is my thought also.
But, I'm not sure if the lack of good AF (phase detection) with video will be an issue for me.
2017-9-11
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
United States

well i must say the low light would be an issue for me. Is that just in filming or is it in photos also? I am going to guess it is both but also one should be bettter than the other am i correct?
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

i had the same questions.
2017-9-13
Use props
mtnlandpix
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

EagleEyeUAV Posted at 2017-9-13 05:31
well i must say the low light would be an issue for me. Is that just in filming or is it in photos also? I am going to guess it is both but also one should be bettter than the other am i correct?

To me the video low light performance was lacking.  But the low light performance for photos is not on par with my Nikon DLSR.
2017-9-13
Use props
DonBishop
lvl.2
United States

I have had a lot of trouble with corrupted files on my Osmo.  On some projects, that isn't too big a deal, because I just go reshoot, but recently I lost footage from a golf tournament.  No way to recover the footage, since it was all live action.  Frustrating.
2017-9-13
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
United States

are there firmware updates often for these?
2017-9-13
Use props
TokyoStreetView
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1211378 ft
  • >>>
Japan

Is Osmo worth it? It really depends on how much time you have on your hands. Do not get me wrong the Osmo is a great concept, but plagued by so many problems and other limitations.

I only use my Osmos with the Z Axis, this is the ONLY reason why I have them. Otherwise, I mount all my cameras on Gimballs and I can record more than 9 minutes without losing frames! Just this really turn me mad, you can't record more than 9 minutes on an Osmo without losing frames and this in 2017... WOW.

Anyway be ready to suffer and to get "Gimbal" like videos get at least an Osmo Pro and be ready to hate DJI every single time the AF goes bananas.
Note: Low light on the Osmo Pro is really not that bad at least.
2017-9-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules