Why are my posts not showing up?
1595 12 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
finlayson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 95331 ft
United States

In the past day I have twice tried to submit a new post (thread) to the "Mavic" forum (tagged as "General Support"), but my post has not shown up.  Could someone please explain why?  My post describes a serious issue that should concern DJI.

2017-9-11
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
United States

I'm glad to see that this post has shown up, but my earlier post did not.  Can anyone explain why?  My earlier post described (with evidence) a serious bug in the Mavic's "Home Point Me" function.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Did you get any error message? Could you please try it again? If it is the same, please provide some screenshots for better assistance.
2017-9-11
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-11 00:37
Did you get any error message? Could you please try it again? If it is the same, please provide some screenshots for better assistance.

No, I didn't get any error message.  I'll post it again, but as a reply to this thread, rather than as a separate thread (because those don't show up, for some reason)
2017-9-11
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
United States

My earlier post - which didn't show up when I submitted it as a new thread:

I have very clear evidence of a serious bug in the Mavic Pro’s "Home Point Me” function (initiated from the DJI GO 4 iPhone app).  To summarize: When I did “Home Point Me” (on three separate occasions), the Mavic Pro set its home point not to the location of the controller, but instead to the location of the previous flight’s home point - which, in my case, was more than 7000 feet (2000m) away from the controller.  Not realizing what had happened, I then did a “Return to Home’ - which caused my Mavic to fly away.

I have uploaded the flight log here:        http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/TEDJP7M5OQ79OX6W9MUN/

The cached flight video (from my controller) is here:

I would be happy to provide additional flight data - from my controller - if necessary to help resolve/fix this bug.  (Unfortunately, because my Mavic was lost, I don’t have any video or data from the Mavic itself.)

2017-9-11
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
United States

Here is a summary of key events from the flight log and/or cached controller video:
Flight time        Time in cached video        Event
0:02                n/a                        Takeoff (GPS mode); Home Point recorded at [36.608828,-121.711527]
0:56                0:00                        Video starts
1:31                0:35                        Follow Me mode enabled
7:07                6:11                        Error: "Satellite Signal Lost. Acquire signal and retry." (This is a confusing message; I’m guessing that it refers to the loss of GPS coordinates of the *controller*, not the GPS coordinates of the Mavic (because the Mavic was seeing 18 satellites).)
7:10                6:14                        Speed drops to zero; Mavic’s GPS location: [36.613579,-121.700561]
~8:40        ~7:44                        I stop riding, and realize that my Mavic has stopped following me.  I (and the controller) are at [36.61499,-121.69624]
9:26                8:30                        Break in downlink (& cached video)
9:39                8:30                        Downlink (& cached video) resumes
9:45                8:36                        Break in downlink (& cached video)
11:01                8:36                        Downlink (& cached video) resumes
11:15                8:50                        I use “Home Point Me” to reset the home point, supposedly to the Remote Controller (i.e., my) position, which is at [36.61499,-121.69624].  But instead, the ‘home point' gets set to [36.607533,-121.724625], which was my home point of my *previous* flight - more than 1.6 miles (2.6 km) away from me!  (Find My Drone also reports this as the “Aircraft Missing Coordinates”)
11:22                8:57                        Without realizing what has actually happened to the home point, I do a RtH
11:49                9:24                        Mavic finishes ascending, and starts moving ‘home’. In reality, it’s moving away from me, at a speed of 22 miles per hour (35 km/h)!
12:05                9:40                        Confused and concerned about what’s happening, I did “Home Point Me” once again.  But the home point remained unchanged; it’s still the home point of my *previous* flight; and my Mavic is still flying away from me at 22 mph!
12:17                9:52                        The Mavic switches from “Go Home” mode to P-GPS mode.  (I think I may have pressed the “Pause” button here; I’m not sure)
12:20                9:55                        Speed drops to zero
12:29                10:04                        Forward speed resumes
12:34                10:09                        I get a “Weak Signal” warning
13:06                10:41                        I do “Home Point Me” once again.  But the home point is still wrong (but unfortunately I don’t realize this)!
13:12                10:47                        I do a RtH once again (this turned out to be a fatal mistake, because I didn’t appreciate that the home point was wrong, and I’m now near the edge of transmission range)
13:15                10:50                        The Mavic starts returning ‘home’ once again.  But yet again, it’s moving away from me
13:21                10:56                        The cached video ends
13:42                n/a                        I lose connectivity.  The Mavic is moving away from me at 22 mph!

Comments:
  • There’s unquestionably a bug in “Home Point Me”.  Why did it reset the ‘home point’ to a point that was far away from the controller, and why did it choose the point that happened to be the home (starting) point for my previous flight?
  • The RtH speed of around 22 mph (35 km/h) seems unusually large.  There weren’t strong winds, and I was not in ‘sport mode’.  This behavior appears similar to some ‘fly aways’ that have been reported by other people.
  • Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find my Mavic.  It didn’t return to what it thought was the ‘home’ point (nor to the actual ‘home’ (i.e., starting) point of this flight).  I searched along the line from its last known position to its assumed ‘home’ point (and beyond, in case it ended up overshooting this point).  Unfortunately it wasn’t possible to do an exhaustive search, because the area is filled with long grass, thick chaparral, large oak trees, and 'poison oak'.
  • Yes, I know, I could have handled this situation better, e.g., by canceling RtH and landing before my Mavic flew out of controller range.  But I was confused about what was happening (I did not expect "Home Point Me" to malfunction like this), and I was almost out-of-range at the time.

The bottom line: Do not use the “Home Point Me” function until DJI fixes this bug.
2017-9-11
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
United States

Some more information: According to the 'Flight Record', the "DJI GO 4" app appeared to know its correct location when I did "Home Point Me".  Here is a screenshot of the 'flight record' 1 second before and 1 second after I did "Home Point Me":

You can see that my RC's location is known (the blue dot), but that the  'home point' has been set to the completely wrong location (which  happened to be the home point from my previous flight).

2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Sorry for your loss, have you contacted the DJI support and provided your flight log to them? Please contact them, they'll start a case for you. Here is a link for your reference. http://www.dji.com/support
2017-9-11
Use props
finlayson
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-9-11 01:10
Sorry for your loss, have you contacted the DJI support and provided your flight log to them? Please contact them, they'll start a case for you. Here is a link for your reference. http://www.dji.com/support

"Please contact them, they'll start a case for you. Here is a link for your reference. http://www.dji.com/support"

Sorry to sound dumb - but which specific button should I click on that page to "contact them" (to investigate a flight log for a lost drone)?

2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

finlayson Posted at 2017-9-11 01:23
"Please contact them, they'll start a case for you. Here is a link for your reference. http://www.dji.com/support"

Sorry to sound dumb - but which specific button should I click on that page to "contact them" (to investigate a flight log for a lost drone)?

You'll have three options, Email, Online Chat and TEL, as you can see the pic below. I would recommend you click Email, I think it will be more convenient to provide the flight log. Besides,  the Support is not able to download the flight logs from the third party websites, like Phantomhelp, please export the flight log files, then provide the files to the Support. 1.png
2017-9-11
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

I have had new threads I've started not show up many times.
2017-9-11
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Fortunate you managed to post.
And sorry to read about your loss.
And what a tricky situation?
And let us know the walking of the process.
Cheers.
2017-9-11
Use props
fansd22952ba
lvl.1
United States

What do you except from a Chinese company? It took me 30 tries to download an update. Buggy software. Decided to return my drone. Can't trust it  
2018-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules