How far do you have to go to fly your drone?
2666 57 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

I can fly within 400m from my place down the beach but travel miles  to fly it take it with me most all the time
2017-9-13
Use props
Tubarao
lvl.1
Brazil

I fly in every place when possible, but generaly 1 to 5 miles far.
2017-9-13
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

not too far to just fly about. i am very much about exploring and perspective so if the nfzs and and weather permit it i'll drive an hour or more for the ideal scenery.. otherwise i feel like these guys  (no financial interest) >>
2017-9-13
Use props
No1much
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

I'm lucky- exactly 5 miles from the nearest airport, and it turns out the control tower's full of laid-back sorts. After buying my Mavic, I looked up and read on who to call and went the super-paranoid route- calling the control tower with ALL my registration, schedule and other info ready.

Turns out, all they cared to know was that I'd keep it to 400ft or less since planes come in for landing not too far from my area, and I never intend to go above there anyway, so... yay.
2017-9-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-12 12:39
You should never fly out of sight as the chances are you may end up in trouble.

i just think people should fly how they are most comfortable doing so...  i haven't been flying very long, but i am better with the live view camera, not nearly as good if im forced to watch my drone with my eyes at a distance.  

that should be the rule, no need to push yourself to do something seems unnatural, if you and other fly better visually eying the aircraft that's how you and others should fly it, same applies to if people like me fly better with live view then that's how we should fly..  
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-13 11:48
i just think people should fly how they are most comfortable doing so...  i haven't been flying very long, but i am better with the live view camera, not nearly as good if im forced to watch my drone with my eyes at a distance.  

that should be the rule, no need to push yourself to do something seems unnatural, if you and other fly better visually eying the aircraft that's how you and others should fly it, same applies to if people like me fly better with live view then that's how we should fly..

Well said sir. Well said!!!
2017-9-13
Use props
BeefStew
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79875 ft
United States

I live in LA, so I fly above my backyard for testing. But often have to drive 30 minutes if I want to go somewhere interesting/scenic/quiet.
2017-9-13
Use props
Alexei Merinov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Russia

The first two months I flew in my neighborhood, in front of the windows of my house. It was interesting to see his view from above - how he looks at dawn. At sunset or at night. But now I fly at home only when it is necessary to check something. And the main interest is to fly in a good place
2017-9-14
Use props
Joyceluo
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-14
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear Pilots,

I would like to say some words about this thread.
It may seem “romantic” but it is, really, true.
I am not a noob guy on net experience. I have some years on forums all around the world; some about technology, hobbies, board games, video games, bikes, etc.
In those virtual ambient we can find some nice guys, some trolls, some a+%#$#holes, and so many kind of persons; from well-educated to bad-mannered ones.
But here, in DJI Forum, we, most of times, have a nice experience. With persons that want to spread some correct way of doing things; persons who want to improve someone’s ability and help each other.
It is a privilege to be part of this team.
And in this thread, we can see something wonderful: persons, spread all around the globe, sharing, not technical experiences, but their personal life experience.
Really! It should sound romantic, as I said earlier; but, for me it is a great moment.
It is for sure that we, writing about our personal lives, will not, ever, know each other, but reading about each one it makes me come closer of each of you!
It is magic; to feel closer to someone I will never meet.
But, despite of what we learned about friendship (that to be friends we have to be together and so on), we, here, at this moment, are becoming friends.
And that is the real magic!
Thanks! my deeply thanks, from sharing your lives with me! I am proud of this!
2017-9-15
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

My neighborhood has an RC park. That is always my go to point.
2017-9-15
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

alex_markov Posted at 2017-9-11 09:53
My answer is not available  I do not like to fly on the same place too much, get bored. So i travel often, just to have a reason to fly ;)

I have the same view on this as Alex.
2017-9-15
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Some images around me:

https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/file:///C:/Users/jose.cerqueira/Desktop/IMG_0922.JPG

https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/file:///C:/Users/jose.cerqueira/Desktop/IMG_0919.JPG

https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/file:///C:/Users/jose.cerqueira/Desktop/IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0919.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG
2017-9-18
Use props
SteveHphotos
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I normally fly within a 10-mile radius of home. The furthest I away II have flown was Hawaii and that's some 6980 miles from home!
2017-9-18
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I live in the San Francisco North Bay. Near work and near home, I'm not in the flight path of the local airport and it's class G airspace up to 700' AGL.
2017-9-18
Use props
Foxeuphoria
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8110 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m fortunate to live across the street from a city park that has vast open space.  Some days I have to compete with other events going on (seems to be a hot spot for LARP folks) but they tend to come over if I’m already in the air to see if they can get some footage of them at practice.  Overall I have found the CO parks and communities to be rather friendly and receptive.

That said, I do tend to drive up to 150 to 200 miles if I’m trying to target a specific landmark or vista!  I guess with that in mind my range is as far as I’m willing to travel to get the right shots…
2017-9-18
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

5 mins from my house = Open fields and a nature park. A very lucky boy.
2017-9-19
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-9-12 07:55
Yeah, thanks -- even more sadly the really nice scenic sites are within National Airport's exclusion zone anyway.

Looks like my misery has company. Not that I'd like to show anyone how horrible my yard looks, but it would be nice every now and then to just fly around the neighborhood. ;)

Ha Ha: I tried it once by blocking the GPS sensors for a couple of flights but it would only go about 50 feet.  I soon got bored of this-besides it is not a safe place for drone flying where I live here in the DC area
2017-9-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules