Traveling w/ Spark for 1st time
1199 13 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schmo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154921 ft
United States

In a few days I'll be taking my first trip with my Spark. I've researched all the airport/plane procedures so I think I'm good there. I'm more curious about bringing the drone to another part of the US (Chicago to Phoenix) and what to expect.

Should I do compass or IMU calibration?

May be in the mountains, is it true that if I don't have cell service, I cant fly at all? What are your recommendations for this, and how have I seen footage of people using the Spark in obscure locations, if its true. What about offline maps? Have never needed to do that before.

Another information you may think is useful would be appreciated. Thanks.
2017-9-11
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have some direct experience with some of your questions, but not all.

On the matter of calibration, my believe (and not direct knowledge) is that if you do travel some significant distance a compass calibration would be beneficial (due to the differences between magnetic/true north).

On the matter of flying in the mountains with no cell service.  I've done exactly that.  Yes you can fly (or I was able to).  You do not need cell service (I did not have cell service).

The only MINOR impact to flights is that air is thinner, the drone needs to work harder, and flight durations were different.  My unscientific observation was a loss of 15 seconds.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Always keep in mind that you should complete a compass calibration when you fly to a new place. It is more about satellites to consider.
2017-9-11
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-11 10:07
I have some direct experience with some of your questions, but not all.

On the matter of calibration, my believe (and not direct knowledge) is that if you do travel some significant distance a compass calibration would be beneficial (due to the differences between magnetic/true north).

Thanks for the reply. With no cell service, are you still able to fly in GPS mode? How does your phone update your current map location?
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Schmo Posted at 2017-9-11 10:24
Thanks for the reply. With no cell service, are you still able to fly in GPS mode? How does your phone update your current map location?

Cache your maps with a Wi Fi modem before you go off without Wi Fi. GPS would be based satellites. You need to make sure you have a sufficient amount of satellites.
2017-9-11
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schmo Posted at 2017-9-11 10:24

As someone else already answered, I've downloaded my area for local use.  GPS accuracy on phone can be (is) enhanced with cell service, but not a requirement.

Even if you didn't download a local map, I believe that you would still be able to fly.  What I THINK you would see is a "blank" map with no details, but it would still show your relative position of drone to home point.  That's a theory, I've not tested it.

I own 40 acres of property up in the mountains, and this is where I flew.  Elevation 9200 ASL (ish), total flight altitude of 9600 ASL (ish).

All aspects of GPS worked perfectly.  I flew both my spark and my P3S, and for both craft there were circumstances where I lost RC contact due to range, and RTH functioned perfectly.
2017-9-11
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-9-11 10:27
Cache your maps with a Wi Fi modem before you go off without Wi Fi. GPS would be based satellites. You need to make sure you have a sufficient amount of satellites.

How do you do this with an apple device? I see no offline map option.
2017-9-11
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-11 10:41
As someone else already answered, I've downloaded my area for local use.  GPS accuracy on phone can be (is) enhanced with cell service, but not a requirement.

Even if you didn't download a local map, I believe that you would still be able to fly.  What I THINK you would see is a "blank" map with no details, but it would still show your relative position of drone to home point.  That's a theory, I've not tested it.

Great to know. Thanks. Just preparing before I get to a place where I cant contact anyone for help.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

In the end, it's all about the GPS-Satellite signal. Best of luck in your travels.
2017-9-11
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Schmo Posted at 2017-9-11 10:52
Great to know. Thanks. Just preparing before I get to a place where I cant contact anyone for help.

You are wise to prepare!

When I travelled to my property, I also took portable power options to charge my devices.  I don't know how remote you will be from civilization, but you may wish to consider some form of portable power (an inverter, a Goal Zero, etc.).

Also, the weather in my mountains is high unpredictable.  Be cautious of wind speeds.
2017-9-11
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-11 10:57
You are wise to prepare!

When I travelled to my property, I also took portable power options to charge my devices.  I don't know how remote you will be from civilization, but you may wish to consider some form of portable power (an inverter, a Goal Zero, etc.).

Will have power, just no outside cell or wifi. Caution is always taken.
2017-9-11
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Calibrate, Calibrate, Calibrate anytime you travel to a new location.  2minute effort will save you from a possible lost drone.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Schmo Posted at 2017-9-11 10:45
How do you do this with an apple device? I see no offline map option.

Replied your another post. For the iOS devices, launch the APP when your phone has internet access, go to the Map view page, zoom in/out and drag the Map to cache the map.
2017-9-11
Use props
drone flyer 955
lvl.2

United States

Hey,

I was just wondering how your flight went and if you had any issues at the airport or traveling with your drone. I have read a few articles on  traveling with a drone. Did you run into any unexpected issues or have any tips? Good reminder from others here about re-calibrating. Thanks!
2017-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules