Jiggle - Rolling shutter jello
1925 22 2017-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rstangroom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 935276 ft
United Kingdom

I have had a Phantom 4 for over a year and it’s been wonderful.

I have however recently bought a Phantom 4 Pro, but I have been far less impressed with it.

For the first time last month I carried out some filming in 4K and it was terrible. Unfortunately, whilst I saw a bit of ‘wobble’ on the iPad when carrying out the filming, I put it down to the connection not being able to deal with 4K very well.

On the request of a company I work with, I spent a day filming various attractions in Cyprus only to find out once I returned to the UK that none of it is useable due to the wobbly footage.

“Unfortunately there is a lot of jiggle to much of the footage and it is of the type that can't be corrected. It is rolling shutter jello caused by the way all modern cameras capture a video scene. For whatever reason, your gimbal has a bit of shake to it and this shake translates into wobbly looking video. It is the main reason so much of the footage couldn't be used.”

There is a slight wobble on videos shot in 1080p but nothing anywhere close to how bad it is in 4K. I have tried everything to smooth it out, but nothing works.

Is my drone defective? Does it need to be sent back and repaired? I’m no longer confident using it as it stands.

Here is an example of how bad it is:

Richard

2017-9-11
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Have you tried resetting camera settings?
2017-9-11
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Or propeller fitting lose?
2017-9-11
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Or is this the footage from the ipad dji cache, or the micro sd from the drone?
2017-9-11
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

If that is footage from the SD card then there is something seriously wrong.

What were your camera settings and did you use a filter?

To be clear, I do not see any vibration or jello from my P4P at 4k 30fps
2017-9-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It would be better when judging the footage, to see a small section of the original footage uploaded to Dropbox. Not a long segment, because we don't all have unlimited bandwidth to download it.

But in any event, there certainly does appear to be jello in the footage. I am not sure who wrote the bolded comment, but it is not technically correct, it is not a function of all cameras at all. Jello has only one cause, the camera is vibrating, and you need to address that first. And the jello caused by the vibration will be the same in 1080p as it is in 4K.

To find the cause, fire up the aircraft on the ground and check if the camera is vibrating. If not, lift the aircraft up until it is just above your head and look carefully at the camera to see if it is vibrating while airborne. If so, then the first thing to do is change the props, it is possible that one of them is out of balance and causing the vibration.

If that does not fix the problem, check the freedom of the gimbal support to see that it can move enough to smooth out vibrations.

And BTW, there is software out there that can fix the jello effect in post production: https://www.prodad.com/Video-Sta ... calli-V4-SAL--29795,l-us.html

You might be able to save your footage still.

2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Please check the gimbal performance in hover status. Also, upload the original video of SD card for better assistance.
2017-9-11
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

That is not good. You could try a gimbal calibration, it may help. Have a good look at the gimbal attachment and make sure it is not loose. Check all the propellers and attachment.
Were you using an ND filter that was heavy, by that I mean a brand of filter other than the well known ones that work.
If none of the above applies and the gimbal calibration doesn't fix it then go straight to support as there is definitely something wrong.
2017-9-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-9-11 22:21
That is not good. You could try a gimbal calibration, it may help. Have a good look at the gimbal attachment and make sure it is not loose. Check all the propellers and attachment.
Were you using an ND filter that was heavy, by that I mean a brand of filter other than the well known ones that work.
If none of the above applies and the gimbal calibration doesn't fix it then go straight to support as there is definitely something wrong.

In the past, faults of this sort have not been fixed by sending the aircraft back to DJI, which is why I did not suggest it.
2017-9-11
Use props
rstangroom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for the feedback everyone. There are a few things I will now try.

In answer to some of your questions:

The footage was uploaded to Vimeo directly from the SD card. I uploaded the entire clip so you could see that the wobble is actually present at all times and not just when panning the camera, or when the drone is moving.

I was not using any filters - or any other attachments to the camera or drone.

The props were new genuine DJI props, and in fact, thinking this could be a cause of the issue, in later flights that day I did change the props but that made no difference.

Looking back at some of the 1080p video I shot, whilst it's nowhere near as apparent, there is also a slight wobble in those bits of film.

I filmed in 4K 30fps

Here is a video I filmed this morning. The noise you can hear appears to be coming from the camera and you can feel a vibration coming through the camera, which I guess could be the cause:

2017-9-11
Use props
rstangroom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-11 19:35
Please check the gimbal performance in hover status. Also, upload the original video of SD card for better assistance.

The footage I uploaded was directly form the SD card.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rstangroom Posted at 2017-9-12 00:21
The footage I uploaded was directly form the SD card.

Have your drone updated to the latest firmware? If yes, please PM me your DJI account and I'd like to push the beta firmware to see the performance.
2017-9-13
Use props
BaerEssentials
lvl.2
United States

rstangroom...

Refer to this thread.

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D386%26typeid%3D386

It appears that you, too, need the Beta FW.
2017-9-13
Use props
rstangroom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-13 00:01
Have your drone updated to the latest firmware? If yes, please PM me your DJI account and I'd like to push the beta firmware to see the performance.

Can you please push the beta firmware to me asap. How will I receive it? Do I update via DJI Assist 2 or will the update be carried out in DJI Go 4 via my mobile devise?
2017-9-16
Use props
rstangroom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

In this clip, not only can you hear the vibration, you can actually see the camera wobbling around - no wonder my footage is such poor quality!!!

2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rstangroom Posted at 2017-9-16 23:45
Can you please push the beta firmware to me asap. How will I receive it? Do I update via DJI Assist 2 or will the update be carried out in DJI Go 4 via my mobile devise?

I have received your message in PM and added you in the list. Please try to login your DJI account and refresh via DJI Assistant 2.
2017-9-18
Use props
Sebi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5089226 ft
Poland

Can you add me to the list? I have a problem with jello.

sebastian@list.pl
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sebi Posted at 2017-9-18 00:49
Can you add me to the list? I have a problem with jello.

https://youtu.be/9wgRpmPGIrk

Well received, thanks! I have added you in the list, please try later.
2017-9-20
Use props
Sebi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5089226 ft
Poland

Jello problem remained.

Firmware: V01.04.0608 Beta

2017-9-20
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Sebi Posted at 2017-9-20 04:25
Jello problem remained.

Firmware: V01.04.0608 Beta

Had this problem with my Mavic, this is how it was cured

1. Updated to latest FW
2. Calibrated IMU's
3. Calibrated Vision Positioning
4. Calibrated Compass
5. Calibrated Gimbal

Did these steps in that order and the problem disappeared.
Your situation may be totally different but I would give it a try.
2017-9-20
Use props
rstangroom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2017-9-20 04:32
Had this problem with my Mavic, this is how it was cured

1. Updated to latest FW

Thanks - I'll try those additional steps - the update alone didn't work!
2017-9-25
Use props
rstangroom
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-20 03:27
Well received, thanks! I have added you in the list, please try later.

I have now carried out the update and it's not fixed the issue - what next please?
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

rstangroom Posted at 2017-9-25 09:30
I have now carried out the update and it's not fixed the issue - what next please?

Sorry to hear this. Please send it in for fully check and repair: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules