Spark hovering,,, then what?
1968 22 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72306 ft
United States

Hey pilots, Now that you got your craft hovering, what do you usually do? Quickshot, Sport mode, etc? Keep it fun
2017-9-12
Use props
EskildS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 111650 ft
Norway

just started exploring with the Spark, but usually I start flying manually and shooting video.
2017-9-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-9-12
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

taking photos and shooting videos!...

GO Vertical

GO Vertical
2017-9-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

My primary use case is while boating, I'll try and get interesting photos and videos (and a drone gives a unique perspective that is difficult to replicate).

My secondary use case is to practice and test maneuvers and functionality.  I've experimented with RTH, with sport mode, with system behavior at low power, with software functionality, etc.  Anything I can think of to practice and test, I will practice and test.

My third use case (I've recently taken it up) is exploration.  I've known about walking trails and open spaces around my neighborhood, but I've rarely used them.  Now I'm starting to explore them on foot and with Spark.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

lafoto Posted at 2017-9-12 11:01

wow .. amazing picture ..
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

I try to explore the functions of my spark.  The spark and go4 app has many features and I try to learn a single feature every time I launch my spark.
2017-9-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

lafoto Posted at 2017-9-12 11:01

Beautiful pic!
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-12 10:44
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=104222&fromuid=260008

Excellent
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-12 11:44
wow .. amazing picture ..

Indeed
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-12 11:15
My primary use case is while boating, I'll try and get interesting photos and videos (and a drone gives a unique perspective that is difficult to replicate).

My secondary use case is to practice and test maneuvers and functionality.  I've experimented with RTH, with sport mode, with system behavior at low power, with software functionality, etc.  Anything I can think of to practice and test, I will practice and test.

I like your approach. I think it is a good idea to get a second spark for your 2nd and 3rd point. I see used spark around my neighborhood craigslist for $390 flyless. Very tempting.
2017-9-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sparkylicious Posted at 2017-9-12 12:36
I like your approach. I think it is a good idea to get a second spark for your 2nd and 3rd point. I see used spark around my neighborhood craigslist for $390 flyless. Very tempting.

(I'm about to demonstrate how much of a "nerd" I am)  

There is a very specific reason why I test out the various scenarios and functions and capabilities, and why I practice:  it's because of Darwin (or if you believe in a supreme being, then it's because of how that supreme being designed us).

When one panics (or faces an extremely high anxiety situation), there are physiological changes that occur in how the brain functions.  Cognitive and Reasoning Functions decrease and other brain functions get enhance (quick reactions, reflexes, etc.).  These changes serve a purpose, but they do not help flying a drone.  There are times when a drone behaves in a manner that can cause anxiety or panic.  It quite literally becomes more difficult to make reasoned and proper decisions, and to compound the problem fine motor skills might diminish (the ability to perform delicate moves on the joysticks can be quite difficult).  These reactions don't happen to everyone, but they do happen to the majority of people in unfamiliar situations (they happen to me).  Flying a drone while anxious or panicking will make an already challenging situation even worse.

There is a way to prepare for this physical reaction, and that is to "train".  Training accomplishes two things that help overcome the "panic" reaction.  Training instills confidence, and training also pre-programs a behavior so an individual doesn't have to rely on higher brain functions to perform a series of actions.

This is what works for me.  I try to "practice" various scenarios regularly.
2017-9-12
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

This is funny question...... Why do you buy Spark? What are your dreaming of? Just do it. Follow your dream.
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-9-12 17:00
This is funny question...... Why do you buy Spark? What are your dreaming of? Just do it. Follow your dream.

you forgot - what do you desire?
2017-9-12
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

After hovering, I tried to establish a baseline:
What I can do and what I better should not do, to keep the spark.
Finding out, how far it can go with full controll, and why it will sometimes not even do half of this distance.
To prevent loosing time. 12 minutes average batterie time, you know? ;-)

Because only with knowing this, I can do what i wanna do. If my "want" fits in this baselines.

I had the idea, in the beginning and b/c I am lazy sometimes, to fly the spark up a 400m hill and video the top without climbing up.
So, but after learning that a wifi drone has really its limits, in special if trees and leaves are involved and in the line of sight, I kind of canceled that idea.
Its something for a mavic, perhaps.
So for the next drone?
2017-9-12
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-12 13:51
(I'm about to demonstrate how much of a "nerd" I am)  

There is a very specific reason why I test out the various scenarios and functions and capabilities, and why I practice:  it's because of Darwin (or if you believe in a supreme being, then it's because of how that supreme being designed us).

Well said ...
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-9-12 23:06
After hovering, I tried to establish a baseline:
What I can do and what I better should not do, to keep the spark.
Finding out, how far it can go with full controll, and why it will sometimes not even do half of this distance.

Great info.. I like this realtime assessment and apply actions type strategies.
2017-9-13
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Sparkylicious Posted at 2017-9-13 07:57
Great info.. I like this realtime assessment and apply actions type strategies.

And, "btw", I am flying it a lot.
Have to confirm my findings ;-)
2017-9-13
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm a geek as well.  When I get a new "toy", I like to try to learn everything there is to know about it.  I've been like that since I was a little tyke.  

Some flights I am out to try to get the most scenic videos I can possibly get.  Some flights I set out to test specific features to understand how it works in various scenarios, some flights I'm just practicing various maneuvers, and some flights I'm testing myself to try to get to be a better pilot in "emergency" situations (for same reasons Charles mentions above).
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
United States

Kloo Gee Posted at 2017-9-13 18:44
I'm a geek as well.  When I get a new "toy", I like to try to learn everything there is to know about it.  I've been like that since I was a little tyke.  

Some flights I am out to try to get the most scenic videos I can possibly get.  Some flights I set out to test specific features to understand how it works in various scenarios, some flights I'm just practicing various maneuvers, and some flights I'm testing myself to try to get to be a better pilot in "emergency" situations (for same reasons Charles mentions above).

Dude.. really like your videos. I have learned a lot from it.. Thanks man for all your hard work.

Cheers!
2017-9-14
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sparkylicious Posted at 2017-9-14 00:05
Dude.. really like your videos. I have learned a lot from it.. Thanks man for all your hard work.

Cheers!

Thanks man!  I really appreciate the feedback!  Comments like that encourage me to keep going!

Cheers!  
2017-9-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Yeah, many of the things are just waiting to be explored. Release your imagination and go get what you want. Enjoy flying.
2017-9-17
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
United States

To answer my own post, now that I think about this question. One thing that I do once I got my spark hovering in front of me...I set my "home point" once again before I fly away. I do know that it sets it automatically when arming but doing so gives me that assurance of home point.
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules