Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
First Wedding Video - ALL Drone footage +Things I Learned)
920343 920343 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raincast
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135633 ft
  • >>>
Canada

First try at a wedding video and doing it for free as a solo project. So, I didn't really direct where people go or what they did, or plan anything for that matter. I also didn't go to the reception, as I really wasn't formally invited haha. One of the bridesmaids is a friend and she "volun-told" me to do it. Any feedback would be awesome!!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.
10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

2017-9-12
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

dedication and determination!  i love it when someone honestly enjoys what they do and put their heart and sole into it, that is what you did here, great job. and thank you for giving us a list of tips and tricks from what you have learned.  

one thing i have learned doing freelance photography (i used to do way more) as you get more comfortable and learn things, you will change priorities and will find not many people will find it very offensive if you have to hit the bathroom or get a nibble, we all need it but the people that are concentrating the hardest, like photographers and and videographers need it the most.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Great job! Thanks for sharing with us the experience. It's a good beginning! Looking forward more wonderful videos from you.
2017-9-12
Use props
termdj
lvl.2
South Africa

For a first wedding you did a great job. Hats off to you...!!  
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-9-12 14:55
dedication and determination!  i love it when someone honestly enjoys what they do and put their heart and sole into it, that is what you did here, great job. and thank you for giving us a list of tips and tricks from what you have learned.  

one thing i have learned doing freelance photography (i used to do way more) as you get more comfortable and learn things, you will change priorities and will find not many people will find it very offensive if you have to hit the bathroom or get a nibble, we all need it but the people that are concentrating the hardest, like photographers and and videographers need it the most.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I was ill-prepared on some necessities for sure haha. I don't know when I can do another wedding video but it was pretty fun. I wish I had another video solution though. DJI, please make the Osmo 3!
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-12 19:44
Great job! Thanks for sharing with us the experience. It's a good beginning! Looking forward more wonderful videos from you.

Thanks for giving it a watch! It wasn't as time-consuming as my other few videos but it was a totally different challenge altogether! I wish I could get more opportunities to do more events. Landscapes don't usually thank me for taking a video of them.
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

termdj Posted at 2017-9-12 20:49
For a first wedding you did a great job. Hats off to you...!!

Thanks for checking it out! I'm glad you liked it!
2017-9-12
Use props
Skyggen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 321168 ft
Turkey

Amazing work for first time
2017-9-13
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I actually think u did a really nice job here
2017-9-13
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Skyggen Posted at 2017-9-13 01:18
Amazing work for first time

Thank you for giving it a look!
2017-9-13
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-13 02:28
I actually think u did a really nice job here

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for watching!
2017-9-13
Use props
Tubarao
lvl.1
Brazil

Very good job, congratulations.
2017-9-13
Use props
Juanreta_garcia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 246004 ft
Spain

Great video and great editing....it is a really nice work!!! I bet the new couple loves the video....and it is a perfect gift to show to their friends without boring them with the typical "wedding videos"......Congratulations!!!
2017-9-13
Use props
borisbushmin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8345617 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Great video. I really liked the Color Grading. Which program did Color Grading?
2017-9-13
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

Nice work!! All the footage was made with the Mavic?
2017-9-13
Use props
Charli27
lvl.1
Australia

Nice job it looks good thanks for sharing your experience and feedback of the event
2017-9-13
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Tubarao Posted at 2017-9-13 09:03
Very good job, congratulations.

Thanks for giving it a watch!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Juanreta_garcia Posted at 2017-9-13 10:14
Great video and great editing....it is a really nice work!!! I bet the new couple loves the video....and it is a perfect gift to show to their friends without boring them with the typical "wedding videos"......Congratulations!!!

They didn't expect much and neither did I. It turned out way better than I thought, and they really love it! The hard work paid off for sure. Thanks for watching!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

borisbushmin Posted at 2017-9-13 10:27
Great video. I really liked the Color Grading. Which program did Color Grading?

Hey, I graded in Premiere Pro. Some people share serials for products they purchase and I ended up using one of them. The LUT used was RG Mojo II, tweaked with some blue and orange tints in the indoor shots. Other than that, it was basic coloring on Lumetri and more blue added onto the color wheel to get back their dark blue tuxedo color.

Thanks for checking it out!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-13 18:34
Nice work!! All the footage was made with the Mavic?

Yeap! Everything done with the Mavic as I have no other video solution. Thanks for the watch!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Charli27 Posted at 2017-9-13 23:13
Nice job it looks good thanks for sharing your experience and feedback of the event

I'm glad you like it as I do too! Thanks for giving it a watch and read!
2017-9-14
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

This was beautiful!! I loved everything about it! Nice job!  
You should look into getting Osmo or what I have Smooth-Q much cheaper. So you won't have to walk around with a drone. It looks weird and isn't natural thing to carry around.
2017-9-14
Use props
fansd321d460
New

United Kingdom

That was brilliant mate well done, that's what I want to do, weddings and party's, have you been flying long, live your comments ha ha
Keep up the good work mate
2017-9-14
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26316 ft
United States

very impressive, well done!!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-9-14 11:02
This was beautiful!! I loved everything about it! Nice job!  
You should look into getting Osmo or what I have Smooth-Q much cheaper. So you won't have to walk around with a drone. It looks weird and isn't natural thing to carry around.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! The couple did too haha

I'm waiting on a new Osmo. What do you think about the Smooth-Q?

My video before this one was an travel-vlog-like attractions video for my city, Edmonton. Most of it was handheld, all still done by drone. A lot of people look at me funny haha
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

fansd321d460 Posted at 2017-9-14 11:10
That was brilliant mate well done, that's what I want to do, weddings and party's, have you been flying long, live your comments ha ha
Keep up the good work mate

Hey, I got the Mavic end of March I think. It's my first drone. I do have some cinematic drone tutorials on my Youtube page, 71 moves in total. Do check it out when you're free!

I really enjoyed doing it. It's challenging but pretty cathartic too! I'm sure you'll do fine!!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

MAStetz Posted at 2017-9-14 13:58
very impressive, well done!!

Thank you for giving it a look! Cheers!
2017-9-14
Use props
djiuser_c3VWmUu
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Great video! Did you use the drone handheld for the indoor shots then? I think you did brilliantly!
2017-9-15
Use props
djiuser_c3VWmUu
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Great video! Did you use the drone handheld for the indoor shots then? I think you did brilliantly!
2017-9-15
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Raincast Posted at 2017-9-14 16:49
I'm glad you enjoyed it! The couple did too haha

I'm waiting on a new Osmo. What do you think about the Smooth-Q?

I did a wedding video recently myself for my friend. Not good as your video. Your video is what I'd love to be one day. It's pretty long so I understand if you dont throught it. But just take a look. Shot on Mavic or Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy S7 with Smooth-Q. And for half the cost of Osmo. Espeically if your like me. Just kind of messing around with the stuff. You can't beat that price.

2017-9-15
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_c3VWmUu Posted at 2017-9-15 03:15

Yes, everything was shot by the Mavic! I have no other video gadgets on me and can't afford anything else at this moment.

The stabilizers on DJI's drones really let you go handheld. If I had an action camera without a stabilizer, the footage would feel totally different. I'm glad you liked it!
2017-9-15
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-9-15 05:08
I did a wedding video recently myself for my friend. Not good as your video. Your video is what I'd love to be one day. It's pretty long so I understand if you dont throught it. But just take a look. Shot on Mavic or Google Pixel and Samsung Galaxy S7 with Smooth-Q. And for half the cost of Osmo. Espeically if your like me. Just kind of messing around with the stuff. You can't beat that price.

https://youtu.be/o4TAyzxB048

I watched the whole thing, man! Where is that place? It's hard to go wrong shooting anywhere there, it's lovely!

Honestly, my video just has a little more coloring compared to yours. Everything else is good! Videos are for capturing these precious moments and yours did, from the ceremony to the bubbles to the dancing down to the bonfire. I use Premiere Pro to color but it does take some extra time and effort.

Unfortunately, most cameras don't perform as well in low light conditions. Even expensive cameras struggle with that. Some pro videographers carry their own light around just to get rid of some grainy dark pixels. For you and me, though, we're limited to what we have.

The Smooth-Q is pretty cool. I only have one phone though, and use it on the Mavic's RC haha. So I can only do one thing at a time and have to keep moving it around.

I subbed already!
2017-9-15
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

What a fantastic job bud
2017-9-15
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Brum Ken Posted at 2017-9-15 08:42
What a fantastic job bud

Thanks for checking it out!
2017-9-15
Use props
santakorts
lvl.1

Russia

Well done!
2017-9-17
Use props
DS924
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4028425 ft
United States

VERY NICE! You sure did capture a lot of special moments for someone who wasn't directing the action!    I should think that you could get the slo-mo effect with your editing program, and not have to worry about that when shooting. Your learning points - and your video - suggest that you are a considerate person who is always thinking.  Very impressive!
2017-9-17
Use props
fansee4c6d6f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3 ft
United Kingdom

Absolutely Stunning! I think you did a very good job.  Thanks for sharing buddy.
2017-9-17
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-9-15 05:08

https://youtu.be/o4TAyzxB048

I just got the Smooth Q and if I try recording through the ZY Play app the recording gives me audio only and then after the audio is done, hit play again and only get Video w/out audio.  It won't play on any other player or on computer.  Do you have this problem?  Without using the app, the video is fine and I get to use  full 4K.  If you don't mind send me a private message so we don't clutter up this forum?
2017-9-17
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks and safe flying!
2017-9-17
Use props
Raincast
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DS924 Posted at 2017-9-17 09:09
VERY NICE! You sure did capture a lot of special moments for someone who wasn't directing the action!    I should think that you could get the slo-mo effect with your editing program, and not have to worry about that when shooting. Your learning points - and your video - suggest that you are a considerate person who is always thinking.  Very impressive!

I had some videos in the past that were 30fps, and slowing down the speed to even 90% didn't look smooth to me personally. That's why I opted to go 1080p96. I didn't have ND filters back then though when I had these problems, so without any motion blur it became even more apparent in my videos. I should try it out again with 1/60 shutter speeds and ND filters.

Thanks for checking out the video! I'm glad you like it!
2017-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules