First Wedding Video - ALL Drone (plus Things I Learned)
12Next >
7027 49 2017-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Raincast
First Officer
Flight distance : 135633 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hey drone flyers! I tried out my very first wedding video plus it's fully shot by drone. I did it for free as my friend asked me to, but because of that I couldn't really give directions to people as to what I wanted them to do or where to go. I listed the things that I learned and hopefully you'd find them useful! Thanks for watching and congratulations to the couple!

Things I Learned:
1. Drones can work handheld but may be jittery at times and even over-compensate with it's stabilizer when swinging the drone left to right.
2. I prefer controlling with the RC rather than wi-fi because you really can't pitch up and down smoothly without the RC.
3. Setting up a drone can take time. Swapping ND filters because clouds suddenly cover the sun takes time. Switching to 1080p for 60 or 96fps for slow-mo also takes time.
4. Prop sounds are very audible so choose when you should fly, preferably before the ceremony or after.
5. Drones make sounds too when handheld and running. I didn't want to bother any of the guests so I kept away if I could.
6. Finding free wedding songs is somewhat impossible. Any sites would be welcome!
7. I don't have close-ups during the actual wedding because I wasn't getting paid and felt bad for getting in there.
8. Working solo can get you to miss stuff that happen only once in a wedding. I had to drive to where the bride was prepping, then the groom, then back to the bride, straight to the venue, etc. so it was a lot of work.
9. I was starving and really had to pee the whole time. I kept holding it in because I would have missed some shots.10. My positioning could have been better, but I didn't want to go where the professional photographers were hanging around in.
11. I enjoyed doing this wedding and am sure I can do a better job next time!

2017-9-12
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Is this a DJI Spark video?
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

lafoto Posted at 2017-9-12 14:59
Is this a DJI Spark video?

Hey, I used the Mavic for this one and just sharing the things I learned when doing these type of shoots. Thanks for checking it out!
2017-9-12
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Raincast Posted at 2017-9-12 15:06
Hey, I used the Mavic for this one and just sharing the things I learned when doing these type of shoots. Thanks for checking it out!

Great video!... Congrats....
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

lafoto Posted at 2017-9-12 15:09
Great video!... Congrats....

I'm sure the Spark is very capable of doing all of the stuff that's here. Cheers!
2017-9-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

You've echoed at least a few things that I've learned myself, and I'll throw in some others.

One:  It's not quick.  Even the Spark which is hailed as the "selfie" drone takes time to set up if you fly it according to recommendations (prop guards), and with rc and phone/app, there is no such thing as grabbing a spontaneous shot.  Any action you get you must either plan to get before it commences, or you are chasing it "in progress".

Two:  It's noisy.  Before you ever posted I wondered how I would handle a wedding, and I determined that the drone would be good for after wedding shots, but that a bride and groom would have to decide if they wanted to contend with the noise of the drone during the ceremony (and I would think that this would not be their first choice).

Two-b:  It sounds like bees.  And for some people (my wife for example) it's a sound that inspires anxiety and panic.  I presume that other people would have a similar reaction.

Three (I don't think this one is in your list):  It's a drone, let it be a drone.  Other people are going to get ground shots.  Get the shots that only a drone can get.

Four (another new one):  Plan your shots before you lift off (particularly for the spark).  Since battery life is a premium, have a plan and execute that plan, to maximize the usage of your flight time.

Five (similar to yours):  When you are taking pics and videoing with a drone, you are not a part of the gang or crew or the goings on.  This is a very immersive task that consumes all your bandwidth.
2017-9-12
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Excellent work! Drones add an entirely new dimension to wedding photography! Given how noisy drones are, I am surprised how close you got to the guests at times without them appearing to be very perturbed.

2017-9-12
Use props
Jimmers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 49623 ft
United States

Turned out great!
2017-9-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That was an excellent wedding video, very nicely done with the drone.  A little unstable at times, but that is a downfall on holding the drone.  Otherwise very nicely done, congrats and you should be happy with that video.
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Glad you record the happy moment of the wedding. I believe you will make a full use of our products by accumulating more experience.
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-12 15:20
You've echoed at least a few things that I've learned myself, and I'll throw in some others.

One:  It's not quick.  Even the Spark which is hailed as the "selfie" drone takes time to set up if you fly it according to recommendations (prop guards), and with rc and phone/app, there is no such thing as grabbing a spontaneous shot.  Any action you get you must either plan to get before it commences, or you are chasing it "in progress".

Awesome tips, man!

There are some things in weddings that happen only once, so yeap planning and improvising really count!

The unfortunate part about flying your drone when the guests are seated is that they would tend to look for the noise and you don't want to capture that part haha

I did a video of all the attractions in the city and flew over a park. Someone around panicked and was looking for a helicopter.

I couldn't afford another video solution so I opted to do all by drone. Also, the couple didn't get a videographer, which was also a good opportunity for me to make a video of my own. I'm still wishing for an Osmo 3! It's best to work with a team and just focus on flying the drone safely.

You also don't want your RC beeping that your battery is low. It would freak all the guests out!

It was stressful, I tell ya! I wasn't even getting paid to do it haha
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

forbsie Posted at 2017-9-12 16:50
Excellent work! Drones add an entirely new dimension to wedding photography! Given how noisy drones are, I am surprised how close you got to the guests at times without them appearing to be very perturbed.

I thought they would be bothered too! Some of them looked but I clipped it out of the video. I know for us pilots we get accustomed to the sound and phase it out. When handheld, there are times when the noise kicks in but I'm glad the guests were rightly focused on the ceremony!

The Osmo is a bit loud too when not recording and shuts off the fans when you are.
Thanks for watching!
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for looking into it! Glad you enjoyed the video!
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-9-12 18:08
That was an excellent wedding video, very nicely done with the drone.  A little unstable at times, but that is a downfall on holding the drone.  Otherwise very nicely done, congrats and you should be happy with that video.

Stabilization is perfect when up in the air despite strong winds, but I wish they were easier to control when handheld. Stable footage is hard to get when there is something you really want to shoot but are not in the right spot to do so, plus I can't take multiple attempts like when shooting landscapes haha. Thanks for the watch!
2017-9-12
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-12 20:20
Glad you record the happy moment of the wedding. I believe you will make a full use of our products by accumulating more experience.

Thanks! The couple were pretty thrilled about it so the hard work paid off!

DJI, please make a new Osmo as I will pre-order on Day 1! My last 3 main videos have been mostly handheld with the drone haha
2017-9-12
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very interesting stuff to read and think through.
Like your video a lot!
2017-9-12
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Raincast Posted at 2017-9-12 21:13
Thanks! The couple were pretty thrilled about it so the hard work paid off!

DJI, please make a new Osmo as I will pre-order on Day 1! My last 3 main videos have been mostly handheld with the drone haha

Thanks for your positive attitude toward our products. Your requirement will be transferred.
2017-9-12
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Raincast Posted at 2017-9-12 20:59
Awesome tips, man!

There are some things in weddings that happen only once, so yeap planning and improvising really count!

If the Spark is all you have, it's an awesome camera.  I bought a "carrying stick" for it in the event that I (like you) are in circumstances where it's the only camera around.  It has the luxury of being a camera that's stabilized, so walking around and filming will be of the same quality as flying around and filming.
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Great video and thanks for the tips you've learned, plus input from there forum members.
2017-9-13
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-12 22:00
Very interesting stuff to read and think through.
Like your video a lot!

Thank you for looking into it! There are some things I'd like to change, but I like the video too!
2017-9-13
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-12 22:38
Thanks for your positive attitude toward our products. Your requirement will be transferred.

I got to borrow a friend's Osmo and even my wife loves it. She's not even into gadgets or electronics!
2017-9-13
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-9-13 03:59
If the Spark is all you have, it's an awesome camera.  I bought a "carrying stick" for it in the event that I (like you) are in circumstances where it's the only camera around.  It has the luxury of being a camera that's stabilized, so walking around and filming will be of the same quality as flying around and filming.

Yeah, it also means less work editing. I've seen some videos with a mix of two cameras of different quality and you can tell which camera they are using in every clip. It's not easy matching clips!
2017-9-13
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-13 06:19
Great video and thanks for the tips you've learned, plus input from there forum members.

Glad you enjoyed it! Capturing moments in events can be tricky and stressful, and I'm hoping it'll help some people a bit.
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Raincast Posted at 2017-9-13 08:40
Glad you enjoyed it! Capturing moments in events can be tricky and stressful, and I'm hoping it'll help some people a bit.

here in Canada, this would be illegal as you must be 30m from people, building and cars
2017-9-13
Use props
yuyuchanchen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 73366 ft
Canada

Great video and thanks a lot for everyone's tips. I am also thinking to do one as well!
2017-9-13
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Canada

Nice video, great job ...
2017-9-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

Raincast Posted at 2017-9-13 08:36
I got to borrow a friend's Osmo and even my wife loves it. She's not even into gadgets or electronics!

That's great! Hope our products can bring you more fun. Thanks.
2017-9-13
Use props
DIott3113
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1797516 ft
United States

Nice job!  Thanks for sharing!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-13 08:53
here in Canada, this would be illegal as you must be 30m from people, building and cars

Yes, it's 30m for my drone which is under 1kg from vessels, vehicles and the public. I had permission to shoot them so I think I'm safe. Thanks for checking it out!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

yuyuchanchen Posted at 2017-9-13 10:23
Great video and thanks a lot for everyone's tips. I am also thinking to do one as well!

It's pretty fun and challenging! Send me your video once it's done! Thanks for checking it out.
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-9-13 10:54
Nice video, great job ...

Thank you for giving it a watch!
2017-9-14
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DIott3113 Posted at 2017-9-14 04:51
Nice job!  Thanks for sharing!

Thank you for taking the time to check it out!
2017-9-14
Use props
djiuser_xLE6O03
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1198346 ft
Romania

in yt comments you say is filmed with mavic ?
2017-9-15
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_xLE6O03 Posted at 2017-9-15 00:19
in yt comments you say is filmed with mavic ?

The first guy who commented on this post also asked about it. Yes, the Mavic was used for this. I'm pretty sure the Spark is very capable of this as well! I'm sharing the things that I learned, which should be applicable to any of the videography drones. Thanks for checking it out!
2017-9-15
Use props
DroneHack99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64167 ft
United States

Excellent job   Your friend got a great bargin/memory for the price of.....on the house!
2017-9-15
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Great video, I'm curious what they had to say about the noise afterward? Did she comment on it at all? or did she just consider it part of the prep?

Also, go take the Part 137 test, it's easy, and then you are able to charge for something like this. I know couples would easily pay $500 for a video like this.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT charge for a video like this, and make sure that the couple list any guests as part of their PARTY for this ACTIVITY. (otherwise, you just violated so many aviation rules with or without a commercial license that you could get a nasty letter and fine from the FAA if it's posted and viewed).

For example, flying over or near people (at any time), flying over a building, and the rocket like selfies.  Just saying, I've seen another guys FAA notice and fine, and the legal documents associated with it and they jump straight to negligence and endangering life and property very, very quickly.
2017-9-15
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DroneHack99 Posted at 2017-9-15 10:18
Excellent job   Your friend got a great bargin/memory for the price of.....on the house!

Hahha I know! I was scared to screw up since I've only shot landscapes before, and they don't move. Landscapes don't thank you though for filming them so there's that. Either way, I realized that I enjoyed doing it a whole lot. Thanks for checking it out!
2017-9-16
Use props
Raincast
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

phatav8r60 Posted at 2017-9-15 22:05
Great video, I'm curious what they had to say about the noise afterward? Did she comment on it at all? or did she just consider it part of the prep?

Also, go take the Part 137 test, it's easy, and then you are able to charge for something like this. I know couples would easily pay $500 for a video like this.

Hello, no one said anything about the noise and I was surprised myself. I really only flew it a few times, and as for the ceremony venue shot with the drone in flight, some guests looked up initially but ignored it soon after so I clipped that part out. During the ceremony, I went handheld as I didn't want to disturb anyone.

I don't live in the US hehe, but I am familiar with the FAA. Thanks for the heads up! The rules here have been modified twice this year already and it's weight-based. Lucky for us Spark and Mavic flyers, our drones' weight give us the least minimum distance required from vessels, vehicles and public. Since I have permission from the people involved in the video, I'm safe I think haha.

Thanks for checking it out!
2017-9-16
Use props
PY4CK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Wonderful job and very inspiring. Besides, beautiful people and gorgeous place. Congrats !
2017-9-16
Use props
Madwand
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73018 ft
United States

#10.  Doesn't matter if the pros were getting paid and you weren't. If you were asked to be there, you have as much right as they do to get in close.

I saw you said you cut out some people looking, but I'm amazed you got any footage without them looking at the drone.
2017-9-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules